What Edifying Means In 1 Tim 1:4 ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
Hi to all , I believe that we all have a bad translation in 1 Tim 1:4 , so lets look at it .1) Nor to give attention to fables and endless genealogies , which cause questionings , rather than God's DISPENSATION , the one by faith .2) The word Edifying is NOT in the Greek Text and I believe that I have the correct translation in place . 3) To me , that to be in the faith , would you not have to a Dispensationalist ?

Vickie

Feb 26, 2009
QUOTE (dan p @ Mar 28 2009, 05:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71375
Hi to all , I believe that we all have a bad translation in 1 Tim 1:4 , so lets look at it .1) Nor to give attention to fables and endless genealogies , which cause questionings , rather than God's DISPENSATION , the one by faith .2) The word Edifying is NOT in the Greek Text and I believe that I have the correct translation in place . 3) To me , that to be in the faith , would you not have to a Dispensationalist ?
Hello Dan, I see you enjoy the verses and search for understanding. The word edifying is in the Greek Strong's # 3620 3620 οἰκοδομία [oikodomia /oy·kod·om·ee·ah/] n f. From the same as 3619; GK 3870; AV translates as “edifying” once. 1 (the act of) building, erection.Some times I have overlooked a word that was right in front of my eyes in the Strong's Cord. Some words translated in the NKJ are not in the Strong's I think because the Strong's was built from out of the older KJV bible. What Paul is saying in the verses of I Timothy 1:3-6 We may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer. These kinds of teachings promote controversies instead of building the body. A doctrine say like a certain physical church is the exclusive Church of God and all others in other churches are not to be associated with. This teaching separates the body of believers and keeps them secluded from the body, which is not good. Baptist that look down on Churches of Christ and don't acknowledge them are bad doctrines taught to the children. The word edifying to is to build up the body in truth and the children can stand up and with love proclaim the truth of what God says in his bible and command these false teachings be stopped. Today the false teachings are so greatly accepted in many religious sects, it usually is the believers eyes being opened they leave. Speaking to these teachers who speak false doctrines usually is non-effective, but we are to be gentle in it and not be persuaded from God's truth ourself when we see false doctrine and be able to bring it out in the verses. This is our duty. The word dispensation is not a word that can be used in 1 Timothy. Hope this helped you.IN Christ's precious words of truth. Vickie

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
QUOTE (dan p @ Mar 28 2009, 05:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71375
...2) The word Edifying is NOT in the Greek Text and I believe that I have the correct translation in place . ...
Which Greek text are you looking at? γενεαλογία is in mine.

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
QUOTE (tomwebster @ Mar 29 2009, 12:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71386
Which Greek text are you looking at? γενεαλογία is in mine.
1) I use a KJV and W.E.Vines Greek Dictionary . Most will adgree or disagee , and I like it , like it is .

bethog

Mar 29, 2009
QUOTE (Vickie @ Mar 29 2009, 07:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71384
What Paul is saying in the verses of I Timothy 1:3-6 We may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer
And I should say that somebody should tell dan P to “not teach false doctrines any longer”QUOTE (tomwebster @ Mar 31 2009, 02:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71454
I don't have a clue what you are trying to say here.
I have to agree with you, I also have no clue what dan P is trying to say.

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
QUOTE (bethog @ Apr 1 2009, 07:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71566
And I should say that somebody should tell dan P to “not teach false doctrines any longer”I have to agree with you, I also have no clue what dan P is trying to say.
1) This is what I mean , that you can not see .2) The word EDIFYING in the Greek is OIKODOME is not the word in 1 Tim 1:4 , that is what I believe said in the OP3) The word for Dispensation is --------OIKONOMIA and is the word in 1 Tim 1:4 and I use the KJV AND USE W E Vines Greek Concorfence to check Greek words. So you see that they are similar, but not the same .