What!....Forgive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So you blow it again, where to from here?

Trying harder hasn't worked for you?....it hasn't worked for me either. Yeah yeah, the resolve is there and for a while I pat myself on my back, maybe you do to? 'I've beat the offending characteristic, I'm on my way to heaven'...hallelujah, praise the Lord....annnnd, I'm ready to give advice on how to do it to all those who haven't stepped up like me.
....and then I get blindsided, done like a dinner....and what do I do? I condemn myself, 'what a miserable bag of sputum you are' ......soooo, what do I do? ....try harder......and the cycle continues.....again!

'To him who overcomes will I give the right to sit on my throne'... Jesus.

What is this 'overcoming' caper? What is it that I need to overcome?
'In my flesh dwelleth no good thing'.....maybe in yours there is, however, there ain't any in mine!
....and how much overcoming? 50%? 80%? 100%? ....how are you doing on that front??...and pride? and judgement? and lust? and greed?.....are you making headway against the flesh where the maggots are ready to party?

Soooo, what is this 'overcoming' about? ....not in ideological spruking where denial has a comfortable seat, not in the yada yada department but in real terms.....and who defines 'real' anyway?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you blow it again, where to from here?

Trying harder hasn't worked for you?....it hasn't worked for me either. Yeah yeah, the resolve is there and for a while I pat myself on my back, maybe you do to? 'I've beat the offending characteristic, I'm on my way to heaven'...hallelujah, praise the Lord....annnnd, I'm ready to give advice on how to do it to all those who haven't stepped up like me.
....and then I get blindsided, done like a dinner....and what do I do? I condemn myself, 'what a miserable bag of sputum you are' ......soooo, what do I do? ....try harder......and the cycle continues.....again!

'To him who overcomes will I give the right to sit on my throne'... Jesus.

What is this 'overcoming' caper? What is it that I need to overcome?
'In my flesh dwelleth no good thing'.....maybe in yours there is, however, there ain't any in mine!
....and how much overcoming? 50%? 80%? 100%? ....how are you doing on that front??...and pride? and judgement? and lust? and greed?.....are you making headway against the flesh where the maggots are ready to party?

Soooo, what is this 'overcoming' about? ....not in ideological spruking where denial has a comfortable seat, not in the yada yada department but in real terms.....and who defines 'real' anyway?

Not to be irreverent but, it does seem like being on a hamster wheel, going nowhere fast sometimes. Or just starting over each day. SO happy His mercies are new each day!
It's the getting back up that get's weary yet...getting back up we must! Once we think we got it down, "bam"... we miss that mark yet again!
I think it is all simply in the getting back up.

I think that if we "walk in the light as He is in the light" or-do not do anything while alone that you would not do around others? My take on that anyhow... :)

Perhaps it's all in spiritual warfare? The overcoming of temptations to sin? The "continuing" in these things...

IOW-I have no idea :D

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We will get off the hamster wheel when we are as we were meant to be, a bit further on down the line. To me it’s just how it is in a fallen world, God sees me as I am meant to be, as I will be ( the end result of being transformed ) I see myself in the transformation and in an incomplete version of myself, each mistake a stepping stone to learn that I am loved despite of all the same failings……..

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We will get off the hamster wheel when we are as we were meant to be, a bit further on down the line. To me it’s just how it is in a fallen world, God sees me as I am meant to be, as I will be ( the end result of being transformed ) I see myself in the transformation and in an incomplete version of myself, each mistake a stepping stone to learn that I am loved despite of all the same failings……..

Yeah, what Rita said! :D Yes we will one day get off the wheel. Reminds me of when my mom would say "stop the world, I want to get off" lol...that's about as harsh as she ever got :) and even THAT was not said in harshness...

We are a work in progress!
xx

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yeah, what Rita said! :D Yes we will one day get off the wheel. Reminds me of when my mom would say "stop the world, I want to get off" lol...that's about as harsh as she ever got :) and even THAT was not said in harshness...

We are a work in progress!
xx
what are we/you working at Nancy?

Reactions: Nancy

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We overcome by faith in Christ. I believe that when we miss the mark, if we keep turning our focus back to Him, that is where we overcome.

1 John 5:4-5

[4]For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
[5]Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We overcome by faith in Christ. I believe that when we miss the mark, if we keep turning our focus back to Him, that is where we overcome.

1 John 5:4-5

[4]For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
[5]Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Yeah! What @TLHKAJ said!! :D
Just feeling a tad silly :) But I do agree!

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reminds me of this old southern gospel song....

Reactions: Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So I wonder, is Jesus my helper or my Saviour?

When Jesus returns in glory what can I contribute?....I mean, if I have died and the maggots are done with their partying, that is a flat liner for certain. Whatever God does it will be with out my imagined help, you know, changing this corruptible to incorruption. And If I am alive at this event, no amount of grit and straining on my part however well intentioned, will change this mortal to immortal. The Glory belongs to Jesus.

Jesus is my Saviour from breakfast to breakfast....herein is my only hope, contrary to what my natural man imagines. He wants to please the Lord and hopes to get help which incidentally is not a bad thing however, he wants credit for doing the right thing....he wants to let others know he's got the edge....he insists on some contribution forgetting the flesh is diseased....some glory is nice for his ego.

I am so glad Jesus is my Saviour ...I can rest in the hope he has worked out for me in spite of my flesh...... and so I overcome.
Does this mean I give free reign to my flesh? God forbid, how can I who have been freed from sin live any longer therein.

'There is therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus' Romans 8:1

God's reality trumps mine. God's is forever, mine a passing vapour. The only thing real is how God sees and declares to be real.
His judgement is 'FORGIVEN'..... Now I can tell others how God sees them....now I can whistle and sing and weep tears of joy!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what do I do? I condemn myself, 'what a miserable bag of sputum you are' ......soooo, what do I do? ....try harder......and the cycle continues.....again!

LoL! I think the more of a sad excuse for human beings we are the easier it is to forgive, because we operate under an ever-increasing awareness of what troglodytes we really are.

I get upset with others on forums quite regularly, but it doesn't last long. Why? Because I know they're just like me, which means they're in need of forgiveness. I think the key is in not taking ourselves seriously like we're perfect or something. Gets easier and easier to practice forgiveness when you become evermore cognizant of how much you're always in need of it yourself.

cw7jkYJ.jpg

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think that if I analyzed myself enough and delved sufficiently into the darkest recesses of my mind and uncovered all the secret motivations and ambitions that make backlit tick, I would come to the inevitable conclusion that I forgive others, not because of any innate holiness or sense of spiritual maturity more than any other, but rather because I simply cannot deal with the angst and enmity that exists inside if I didn't. I feel estrangement from others quite intensely. And I'm a coward. If I don't forgive, the inevitable conclusion can only be brought about through a fight. And I hate fighting. I've never been a fighter. I'm 70 and I remember only 3 fights in my life, all of which I lost. Not forgiving simply ain't worth it.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to be irreverent but, it does seem like being on a hamster wheel, going nowhere fast sometimes. Or just starting over each day. SO happy His mercies are new each day!
It's the getting back up that get's weary yet...getting back up we must! Once we think we got it down, "bam"... we miss that mark yet again!

I think that if we "walk in the light as He is in the light" or-do not do anything while alone that you would not do around others? My take on that anyhow... :)

Perhaps it's all in spiritual warfare? The overcoming of temptations to sin? The "continuing" in these things...

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This 10 minute video about understanding repentance is so AWESOME!!! Try to watch if you can...it sure ministered to me.

Reactions: Rita