What happened to Enoch? Would love some input on this.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
GEN 4:16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. Getting kicked out of Eden kept them from accessing the tree of life and therefore immortality became mortality. My present opinion anyway. :hmhehm
God never abandoned the human race, but sin did separate them from him. He appointed a Mediator to bridge that gap. As the Logos, the pre-human Jesus was always God’s spokesman….he was the one who acted on God’s behalf in directing faithful ones on earth, right from the start.

I believe that when God created humans they were 100% mortal. The death penalty could never have applied if they were immortal, because immortals cannot die.

Jesus could not have died if he was immortal.
He had to be the exact equivalent of Adam in order to become our redeemer and pay the price demanded for our release from the curse of death. (“Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, life for a life”.)

Humans were created in mortal flesh but with the provision for “everlasting life” in the form of “the tree of life”. Humans were created to live forever……death was only a penalty for disobedience, so unless they disobeyed God’s command, they did not have to even contemplate death…..there was no mention of it as a natural part of human life, as it was for animals.

Immortality is not the same as everlasting life. (Gen 3:22-24)

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "soul goes to heaven"?

ECC 12:7 and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.
LUK 23:46 Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, "Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit!"
Genesis 2:7 reads:

And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

That is as long as man obeyed God he could live forever, but man did die!
Ezekiel 18:4 reads:
Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

And, Matthew 10:28:
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Seems to me the words "spirit" and "soul" are synonymous according to the above Scripture.

Note also that when Jesus came to earth He had to put on "flesh." We read in Philippians 2:7-8:
7) But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8) And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Jesus died at the cross in the likeness of men (that is subject to death) and never ceased to be God while on earth. Hence, it was rightly so for Him to utter: "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit."

To God Be The Glory

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Seems to me the words "spirit" and "soul" are synonymous according to the above Scripture.

Note also that when Jesus came to earth He had to put on "flesh." We read in Philippians 2:7-8:
7) But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8) And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Jesus died at the cross in the likeness of men (that is subject to death) and never ceased to be God while on earth. Hence, it was rightly so for Him to utter: "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit."

To God Be The Glory
The reason why soul and spirit are used interchangeably in scripture is because they are permanently attached to each other.

Reactions: JunChosen

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Enoch could not have ascended up to heaven before Christ defeated death by His cross and resurrection.

Enoch did not [see] death, in the same way no faithful saint shall.

John 8:51 (KJV) Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.

To not see death is not saying faithful saints will never physically die. It's saying we shall never see, as in know, be aware of or behold death, because death of our body is not death of our living spirit. Since Enoch lived and died before the advent of Christ, when his body succumbed to death his spirit was carried by the angels to the place designated for saints after physical death, called Abraham's bosom. We learn this through the parable of Lazarus and the rich man. This is the place of death where Christ, through His Spirit went to set the captives free. Christ emptied this place of Old, called Abraham's bosom, loosing the bondage of the grave for all who are of faith forever. (Eph 4:8-10)

Since Christ has come and gave His life to atone for sin, and by His resurrection defeated death, He and all who died in faith waiting for His coming, and all who have died in faith since His coming, are all a spiritual body of believers in heaven, having life through the Spirit of Christ. Physical death for faithful saints takes us [spirit] from our flesh that is destined to die, to the spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven. We never really KNOW death, because through our spirit we shall NEVER die!

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Early church leaders accepted the book of Enoch as scripture, and as mentioned- it remains so by some Orthodox Christian communities. It took 'the church councils 500 years to decide it didn't belong-- Clement of Alexandria, Irenaeus, Tertullian, Athenagoras, and Barnabas.... all accepted Enoch as scripture. The primary reason for rejecting the book of Enoch from the Christian canon of scripture is incredibly ridiculous.

Why did the council reject it? Because it was not considered part of the Jewish Old Testament. Do you understand that? They rejected it because the Jews had already rejected it. Then, here comes Jude. Jude tells us clearly that Enoch prophesied about the coming of Jesus the Christ. He quotes Enoch doing so>>>

“And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, to execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him."

Jude says-- that prophecy from Enoch was about Jesus. Is it any surprise that the Jews who rejected Jesus also rejected Enoch?

What "factual errors" are you referring to? Be specific. And don't throw silliness about, from things seen in visions unless you are ready call things like Zechariah's flying scroll a "factual error" because it was simply too big to fly (30 feet long, and 15 feet wide) --- but wait... scrolls fly? Why that must be a factual error in scripture!

The book of Enoch was removed from the Bible because it was considered to be apocryphal, or non-canonical1. The book was not included in the Biblical canon due to the belief that Enoch himself didn’t author most of the book and that it wasn’t divinely inspired by God2. There is also a lack of consensus regarding its authorship and historical accuracy3. The most significant reason the Book of Enoch is not in the Bible is that the Holy Spirit did not inspire it, and it goes against Christian teachings and has a reputation for paganism4.

Concerns Over the Book of Enoch​

So why was the Book of Enoch left out of Old Testament canon? The biggest reason is that scholars doubt its authenticity. Perhaps Enoch did write portions of it, but most scholars believe different sections were changed and added to by other authors throughout time. In fact, some theorize that one section covering astronomy was written in the 2nd century AD by a Jewish Christian who wished to contribute his own thoughts and speculations with the authority of Enoch.

Because of these concerns, no Biblical scholar believes the book was actually written by the Enoch of the scriptures. There’s far too much evidence it had been tampered with and added to – especially in the years leading up to the birth of Jesus.

Are some portions written by Enoch and valid? Possibly. But our church fathers ultimately made the decision to exclude it from canon.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The book of Enoch was removed from the Bible because it was considered to be apocryphal, or non-canonical1. The book was not included in the Biblical canon due to the belief that Enoch himself didn’t author most of the book and that it wasn’t divinely inspired by God2. There is also a lack of consensus regarding its authorship and historical accuracy3. The most significant reason the Book of Enoch is not in the Bible is that the Holy Spirit did not inspire it, and it goes against Christian teachings and has a reputation for paganism4.

Concerns Over the Book of Enoch​

So why was the Book of Enoch left out of Old Testament canon? The biggest reason is that scholars doubt its authenticity. Perhaps Enoch did write portions of it, but most scholars believe different sections were changed and added to by other authors throughout time. In fact, some theorize that one section covering astronomy was written in the 2nd century AD by a Jewish Christian who wished to contribute his own thoughts and speculations with the authority of Enoch.

Because of these concerns, no Biblical scholar believes the book was actually written by the Enoch of the scriptures. There’s far too much evidence it had been tampered with and added to – especially in the years leading up to the birth of Jesus.

Are some portions written by Enoch and valid? Possibly. But our church fathers ultimately made the decision to exclude it from canon.

Irrelevant. It's no different in this way from many writings some of which are considered canon while others not. Do you allow the opinions of crusty council members from millennias-past to rule over your own ability to weigh matters? Maybe we now have information and tools that they lacked.

You should consider the fact that at one time these same councils declared that the book of Revelation should not be included, then it was squeezed in in the late third century. Had you left the decision in the hands of those flowing robes on the Council of Laodicea, you would dismiss it as easily as the book of Enoch and for the same reasons, as they omitted it from the canon.

"Authorship" is not the measure of authenticity. Who wrote the book of Hebrews? Who actually wrote Revelation? Which John, exactly?

"Our church fathers" were simply not qualified to make decisions on things they didn't even begin to understand.

Reactions: Hillsage

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Irrelevant. It's no different in this way from many writings some of which are considered canon while others not. Do you allow the opinions of crusty council members from millennias-past to rule over your own ability to weigh matters? Maybe we now have information and tools that they lacked.

You should consider the fact that at one time these same councils declared that the book of Revelation should not be included, then it was squeezed in in the late third century. Had you left the decision in the hands of those flowing robes on the Council of Laodicea, you would dismiss it as easily as the book of Enoch and for the same reasons, as they omitted it from the canon.

"Authorship" is not the measure of authenticity. Who wrote the book of Hebrews? Who actually wrote Revelation? Which John, exactly?

"Our church fathers" were simply not qualified to make decisions on things they didn't even begin to understand.

The Bible prophesy came "not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake (as they were) moved by the Holy Ghost." Why would I trust the apocryphal books as belonging to Old Testament canon without proof they were written by men of old under the inspiration of God, moved by the Holy Spirit? Nor can it be proven that the book of Enoch has not been changed by other authors over time. I guess the greatest curiosity for me is, why do we need these books?

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible prophesy came "not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake (as they were) moved by the Holy Ghost." Why would I trust the apocryphal books as belonging to Old Testament canon without proof they were written by men of old under the inspiration of God, moved by the Holy Spirit? Nor can it be proven that the book of Enoch has not been changed by other authors over time. I guess the greatest curiosity for me is, why do we need these books?

Call me Ethiopian. The BOE has been considered canon by the Ethiopian Jewish community since antiquity.

I'll give you a 'what if' scenario. What if some Bedouin falls in a crack and discovers a cave and comes out with some dusty parchment-- the gospel according to Jesus Christ.

Are you going to read it? It's not in the canon.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Call me Ethiopian. The BOE has been considered canon by the Ethiopian Jewish community since antiquity.

I'll give you a 'what if' scenario. What if some Bedouin falls in a crack and discovers a cave and comes out with some dusty parchment-- the gospel according to Jesus Christ.

Are you going to read it? It's not in the canon.

I accept the Bible as has been passed down by faith. Clearly many before me do not accept the book of Enoch should be included in the canons of Scripture. There is nothing to authenticate the book of Enoch are words that proceed from the mouth of God through His Spirit, and therefore the Word of truth.

2 Peter 1:19 (KJV) We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Matthew 4:4 (KJV) But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

John 17:17 (KJV) Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth

We either believe what is written as the Word of God by faith or live in doubt about the Bible we have, and potentially tossed about by every new wind of doctrine that comes along.

Reactions: JunChosen

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I accept the Bible as has been passed down by faith. Clearly many before me do not accept the book of Enoch should be included in the canons of Scripture. There is nothing to authenticate the book of Enoch are words that proceed from the mouth of God through His Spirit, and therefore the Word of truth.

2 Peter 1:19 (KJV) We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Matthew 4:4 (KJV) But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

John 17:17 (KJV) Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth

We either believe what is written as the Word of God by faith or live in doubt about the Bible we have, and potentially tossed about by every new wind of doctrine that comes along.

Do you accept that the book of Revelation has been passed down by faith? It was written in the first century and not accepted into the canon until almost the fourth century. Neither acceptance nor rejection by this council or that, have any bearing on the value or truth contained within that book. So too with the book of Enoch. It took some three hundred years to decide on John's apocalypse while some still reject it to this day.

Your measuring stick is crooked.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you accept that the book of Revelation has been passed down by faith? It was written in the first century and not accepted into the canon until almost the fourth century. Neither acceptance nor rejection by this council or that, have any bearing on the value or truth contained within that book. So too with the book of Enoch. It took some three hundred years to decide on John's apocalypse while some still reject it to this day.

Your measuring stick is crooked.

I believe God, and trust that He has preserved His Word as He says He would throughout the generations! Why would I want to chase after other non-canonical books to find biblical truth? Sorry but it makes zero sense to me!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe God, and trust that He has preserved His Word as He says He would throughout the generations! Why would I want to chase after other non-canonical books to find biblical truth? Sorry but it makes zero sense to me!

You are missing the point.

The book of Revelation didn't become relevant because some crusty old men on some silly council said so.

And the book of Enoch didn't become irrelevant in the same way.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are missing the point.

The book of Revelation didn't become relevant because some crusty old men on some silly council said so.

And the book of Enoch didn't become irrelevant in the same way.

The book of Revelation was included in the Holy Scriptures and accepted by the Church from 419. However, the greatest reason why it is canonical is its authenticity. Polycarp was a disciple of John and attested to its veracity; both Irenaeus and Hippolytus have written and exegeted it. Justin Martyr, a disciple of Polycarp quotes it and Jerome states its authorship and included it in the Vulgate

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The book of Revelation was included in the Holy Scriptures and accepted by the Church from 419. However, the greatest reason why it is canonical is its authenticity. Polycarp was a disciple of John and attested to its veracity; both Irenaeus and Hippolytus have written and exegeted it. Justin Martyr, a disciple of Polycarp quotes it and Jerome states its authorship and included it in the Vulgate

So you think it took almost 400 years to establish authenticity?

Calvin didn't get the memo. It's the only book of the Bible he didn't do a commentary on. To this day the Syriac church (orthodox church of the East) reject it. They are revelation-deniers. And you are akin--

Let's try this a different way. What is it specifically in the Book of Enoch that you object to?

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you think it took almost 400 years to establish authenticity?

Calvin didn't get the memo. It's the only book of the Bible he didn't do a commentary on. To this day the Syriac church (orthodox church of the East) reject it. They are revelation-deniers. And you are akin--

Let's try this a different way. What is it specifically in the Book of Enoch that you object to?

Calvin intended to put out a complete commentary of the Bible, but his death prevented this. He did not write commentaries on the books of Judges, Ruth, 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings, 1 & 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, 2 & 3 John, and Revelation. He published commentaries for all books of the Old Testament except the histories after Joshua and the Wisdom literature other than the Book of Psalms. For the New Testament, he omitted only the brief second and third Epistles of John and the Book of Revelation

I don't object to the Book of Enoch, I only object to it being included in the Holy Canons as though it too was inspired by God as the Holy Spirit moved faithful men of old. There is even question as to who the author/authors of Enoch were. We have the inspired Word of God, and have no need of writings of men that have not be authenticated.

Reactions: Zao is life

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Seems to me that is a complete contradiction. The soul is mentioned there but not the spirit…..so how are they synonymous? God “destroys, “body and soul” in “Gehenna”, which erroneously translated as “hell”.

The “soul” is the living creature, both man and animals are called “living souls” in scripture. Man has no superiority over animals in death. (Eccl 3:20-21) They both have the same “spirit” (breath) and when breathing stops, the body succumbs to death. A “soul” cannot exist without a body.
So who was Jesus obedient to? Himself?
Who was it that he served whilst on earth? (Acts 4:27) Can God be his own servant? Can he be his own apostle and High Priest? (Heb 3:1)

He humbled himself by taking on mortal human flesh, subject to death in a multitude of ways, but for him the death he was destined for, was of the cruelest kind. Yet he willingly undertook that difficult assignment because of his love for his Father, and his love for mankind.
And yet the scriptures tell us that God is immortal….which means that he cannot die….if Jesus did not really die in exactly the same way as Adam, then the redemption failed and we are still in our sins…unsaved.
Jesus came to buy back for Adam’s children, what he threw away.…sinless human life. That is what redeemer does….pays an exact amount to cancel a debt. No one else could have paid it.

Committing his spirit to God meant that he was relying on his Father to resurrect him as he promised.
Jesus died as a human, but was raised in spirit form in order to return to heaven at his Father’s side. (1 Pet 3:18; Psalm 110:1)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hillsage

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Matthew 27:52-53 says that when the temple veil was torn, the tombs were opened and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life and went into the holy city and appeared to many people.
The holy city ..

There are no verses in the Revelation where "Babylon the Great", or the city "spiritually called Sodom and Egypt", or the cities of the nations that fell when the 7th bowl of wrath was poured out, are called "the holy city",

but the Revelation calls New Jerusalem "the holy city" three times: Revelation 21:2; Revelation 21:10; and Revelation 22:19.

I doubt whether resurrected saints entered the city called Jerusalem which almost everyone seems to assume is the case. The only verses in the New Testament where a reference is made to the "holy city" are Matthew 4:5; Matthew 27:53; and then in the Revelation.

What happens between death and the resurrection of the body from the dead, according to the Bible?

The following "places" are mentioned in various books of the New Testament:-

1. haides (Hebrew: sheol) refers to the abode of departed souls (Mat.11:23; Mat.16:18; Luke 10:15; Luke 16:23; Acts 2:27 & 31; 1 Cor.15:55; Rev.1:18; Rev.6:8; Rev.20: 13-14).

2. tartaróō (tartaros/tartarus) refers to an abyss or bottomless pit in haides (II Peter 2:4).

3. geena (Hebrew gehenna, the valley of Hinnom) is the word that Jesus used as a symbol of everlasting destruction (every time He spoke of everlasting destruction). It equates to the 2nd death | the lake of fire written about in the Revelation (Mat.5:22, 29 & 30 | Mark 9:43, 45 & 47; Mat.10:28; Mat.18:9; Mat.23:15 & 33; Luke 12:5; James 3:6).

Paul taught that all who dwell in Christ are already spiritually in heaven, where He is:

"(God) hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus" (Ephesians 2:6).

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ" (Ephesians 1:3).

Jesus promised the following reality for those who believe in Him: "Yet a little while and the world does not see Me any more. But you see Me. Because I live, you shall live also. At that day you shall know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you." (John 14:19-20).

"Dwell in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it remains in the vine, so neither can you unless you dwell in Me." (John 15:4).

HADES

So the souls that become separated from their bodies and die "in Christ" are with Him where He is, according to the above verses, but hades is where the rest of souls are - and the greatest biblical evidence that this "place" called hades actually exists and is populated by souls who are both self-aware and aware of their surroundings, consists in the fact that Jesus descended into sheol/hades (Psalm 16:10; Acts 2:27, 31), where He proclaimed or heralded (Greek: kērýssō) the gospel to certain souls who were imprisoned there (1 Peter 3:18-20).

13 And the sea gave up the dead in it. And death and hades delivered up the dead in them. And each one of them was judged according to their works.
14 And death and hades were cast into the Lake of Fire. This is the second death.
15 And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire. --Revelation 20

TARTAROS

In ancient Greek mythology, tartarus or tartaros was the place where the Titans (gods) were imprisoned after a war in which they were overthrown by the Olympian gods.

The Strongs Greek Dictionary informs us that tartaroo is the deepest abyss in hades:

[StrongsGreek] 05020
TARTARO/W ταρταρόω tartaróō tar-tar-o'-o from Τάρταρος Tártaros, (the deepest abyss of Hades); to incarcerate in eternal torment:--cast down to hell.

In the Bible, the word tartaroo is used only once (2 Peter 2:4); and it seems to refer to an abyss or bottomless pit where Peter stated that angels who sinned are bound.

Proverbs 15:11
"Sheol and destruction ['ăbaddôn] are before Jehovah, Surely also the hearts of the sons of men."

'ăbaddôn: See also Revelation 9:11:
"And they had a king over them, the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in Greek his name is Apollyon."

13 And the sea gave up the dead in it. And death and hades delivered up the dead in them. And each one of them was judged according to their works.
14 And death and hades were cast into the Lake of Fire. This is the second death.
15 And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire. --Revelation 20

HEAVEN

The place where Jesus ascended to cannot be any part of sheol or hades or gehenna because it's a place of unapproachable light:

For God in His own time will reveal who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality, dwelling in light which cannot be approached, whom no one of men have seen, nor can see; to whom be honor and power everlasting. Amen. -- 1 Timothy 6:15-16

We cannot see God the Father but Jesus has made Him known and Jesus is seated with Him on His throne, at His right hand.

ENOCH

The Bible doesn't tell us so we can only guess where he went. Possibly to "Abraham's bosom", a place separated by a chasm from the rest of Hades, that seems to have existed until the resurrection and ascension of Jesus.​

Last edited:

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I also object to the book many still attribute to Enoch being included in the Canon. My objection also goes under the title SPURIOUS. I have a copy of it and I've read parts of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwb

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HADES

So the souls that become separated from their bodies and die "in Christ" are with Him where He is, according to the above verses, but hades is where the rest of souls are - and the greatest biblical evidence that this "place" called hades actually exists and is populated by souls who are both self-aware and aware of their surroundings, consists in the fact that Jesus descended into sheol/hades (Psalm 16:10; Acts 2:27, 31), where He proclaimed or heralded (Greek: kērýssō) the gospel to certain souls who were imprisoned there (1 Peter 3:18-20).

The faithful saints as complete human beings with body + spirit as living souls are spiritually with the Lord in heaven the moment we are born again of His Spirit. And nothing in heaven or this world will ever be able to take us spiritually away from him, not even death of our body.

The soul that goes into the grave, even those souls who die in Christ, go there physically. IOW it is the body of humans that goes into the grave or is cremated, to return to dust. This place of the physically dead shall exist until the last trumpet sounds and all the bodies that are in the graves shall be resurrected either to eternal life or damnation. Thats when both death and hades (grave) will be cast into the eternal flames and shall be no more. Dead physical bodies are never conscience or self-aware of anything. They are in darkness and silence, knowing nothing. David rejoices in hope knowing that his flesh (physical soul) will not be left in hell (sheol/grave), because "Thine Holy One" will not suffer corruption. Knowing death could not hold the body of Christ, that He would not suffer corruption. And He too though dying in faith knew death would not be able to hold his body either, David knew his body though dead would live again.

Psalm 16:9-10 (KJV) Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

While the body of every human being after death returns to dust, the spirit that gives the breath of life to our physical body returns to God in heaven. Even the Spirit that gave Christ physical life returned to the Father in heaven.

Luke 23:46 (KJV) And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Acts 7:59 (KJV) And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 (KJV) Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

The only part of man's living soul that continues to have life after physical death is spirit that gives life to our body. Only are spirits alive after death by His Spirit in us, are aware and even said to praise God in worship and song in heaven. It is the spirit of believers in heaven a spiritual body of believers, that returns with Christ in an hour coming, when the last trumpet sounds, and time given this earth shall be no longer. Christ brings our spirits back with Him so that our eternal spirit will give immortal & incorruptible life to our resurrected body, when we will once again be complete living soul with immortal body & eternal spirit, now fit to inhabit the new earth where there shall be no more death.

John 6:63 (KJV) It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

1 Thessalonians 4:14 (KJV) For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

The spiritual dwelling place for all who are of faith in Christ by having been born again, is not of this world, but is of heaven. The place being spiritually built in heaven is the holy city, new Jerusalem, heavenly city on Mount Sion, the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, where there is an innumerable company of angels. The general assembly and Church of the firstborn written in heaven, spirits of just men made perfect.

Hebrews 12:22-24 (KJV) But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Revelation 21:2 (KJV) And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Revelation 21:10 (KJV)
And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,