what irritates the crud out of me about "Christians" so-called

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your obfuscation, but you answered my question without being honest.
Your discipline will include a severe restriction on your ability to speak for 7 days and should begin soon, within the next week. I hope that the experience is not something painful, but God's discipline frequently is.
The Lord loves you, so you will know when this happens that His word is entirely true and trustworthy. Amen.
Have a nice day.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what irritates the crud out of me about "Christians" so-called

What's 'crud'?
I guess you could, say, 'garbage'. My wife calls it the 'crud' when she gets a cold or the flu.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess you could, say, 'garbage'. My wife calls it the 'crud' when she gets a cold or the flu.

If this is the definition of 'crud,' wouldn't something that irritated the crud out of you be a good thing? Seems like one would want to be separated from his or her crud.

confused-look.jpg

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good theory, but it disagrees with scripture. For example Zechariah chapter 14 and Isaiah 65 (these are by no means the only verses about the messianic kingdom on Earth).[/QUOTE\]

People will choose to believe what they choose to believe, I know that, but just as you disagree with me I disagree with you, and just as you believe what I said is a theory and unscriptural, I believe what I said isn't a theory and it doesn't disagree with scripture.

I understand that down to 607 B.C.E. Jehovah's throne used to be there in ancient Jerusalem, it being a material throne, occupied by an anointed royal descendant of David, with whom Jehovah God made a covenant for a everlasting kingdom in David family line. In the year 33 C.E., when Jesus, who was and is the spirit anointed descendant of King David, rode into Jerusalem, that city did not want him as King. So the earthly Jerusalem renounced its right to have the Permanent Heir of King David sit upon a royal throne within it. Its Supreme Court, the Sanhedrin, had Jesus Christ put to death just outside the walls of Jerusalem. Matthew 21:1-43.
The unbelieving Jews, led by religious leaders the Sanhedrin, believed Jesus to be a false christ.

On the third day after Jesus death Almighty God of heaven resurrected the Permanent Heir of King David from the dead, but Almighty God didn't give his Only Begotten Son, that forever sacrificed fleshly body, but instead gave him spirit nature, "the divine nature," God clothed him with immortality. That's the meaning of the Apostle Peter words at 1 Peter 3:18: "Even Christ died once for all time concerning sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones, that he might lead you to God, he being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive in the spirit.” 2 Peter 1:4; 1 Corinthians 15:42-45, 53, 54.
40 days after Jesus resurrection he went into heaven, to present the supreme judge, the Father and God of Jesus the ransoming value of his perfect human sacrifice.
We also have to remember what Jesus said to his Apostles before he was put to death at John 14:19. After Jesus was resurrected no one but believers saw Jesus. So only the apostles and disciples of Jesus saw Jesus after his resurrection. I have found no scripture that shows that any unbeliever saw Jesus after his resurrection. Which goes along with what he said, that the world would not see him. Something else that Jesus said before his death, he said at John 14:2,3 that he was going to his Father in heaven to prepare a place for them and that he would come back and take them to where he was. That means Jesus would take them to heaven where he was and is with his Father. So Jesus isn't coming back to earth to stay. The Messianic kingdom is a heavenly kingdom and his co-inheritors who are those who are born again will get a resurrection like Jesus, they will not be resurrected with a fleshly body, they also will be given spirit nature, "the divine nature," and be clothed with immortality. Jesus Christ and his Apostles and disciples who are born again will rule over earth not on earth.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, this sounds reasonable but disagrees with what scripture actually says regarding the second coming of our Lord.

The scriptures all agree with themselves or they wouldn't be in the Bible. That self agreement was required of them to be included in the canon of scripture. If you find passages that disagree with each other, you aren't understanding them.

Just because you think I don't understand certain scripture, doesn't make that true. Also the scriptures clearly show that Jesus Christ second coming is an invisible presence.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting take on scripture, but I'm sure that Jesus would have disagreed.

31 But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God, saying, 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.” 33 And when the multitudes heard this, they were astonished at His teaching. Matthew 22:31-33

When Jesus spoke with Moses and Elijah on the "mount of transfiguration ", wasn't Moses deceased? Were he and Elijah nonexistent? Remember, Moses was a convicted murderer when he fled Egypt and became a recipient of God's grace. He wasn't by nature a sinless man or son of God as was Adam.

There's other scriptures in the Bible that speak of the resurrection of the dead not just Matthew 22:31-33, such as Luke 20: 37, 38. In verse 38 of Luke chapter 20 Jesus said for they are all living to him.
Then we take another scripture such as John 5:28,29. Which says all those in the memorial tomb will hear Jesus voice and be resurrected.
I understand that the Greek word, "taphos" which is translated grave in many Bibles presents the notion of burial(thapto meaning, to bury) and in Matthew 23:27, mnemeion(from mnaomao, Mimnesko, to remind) is a memorial (sepulchre as a monument). Related to mnemeion is the word mnema which appears to have a corresponding meaning, referring also to "a memorial or record of a thing or a dead person, then a sepulchral monument, and so a tomb. Such a tomb may be a excavated grave in the ground or, as was often the case among the Hebrews, might be a natural cave or a rock cut vault. So the word taphos, translated grave gives us the emphasis to the idea of burial, the Greek words mnema translated tomb and the Greek word, mnemeion(memorial tomb) lay stress on the thought preserving to memory of the deceased person. So all these scriptures relating to the resurrection of the dead are talking about all those preserved alive in God's memory.
We also have to take into consideration the fact that nobody was resurrected to eternal life before Jesus.
Regarding Moses he had been long dead before the Only Begotten Son of God became the human named Jesus. Jesus himself said at Matthew 17:9 that what had transpired concerning the transfiguration was a vision. Jesus was literally there, but Moses and Elijah had been dead for many centuries.
At the scripture John 3:13 it says no one had gone into heaven before Jesus. I have found no scripture that says that anyone has been resurrected to eternal life before Jesus. So Moses and Elijah were not leterally there.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just because you think I don't understand certain scripture, doesn't make that true. Also the scriptures clearly show that Jesus Christ second coming is an invisible presence.
Every eye will see an invisible presence? I'm sorry Barney, but this conversation is pointless as you just aren't believing what scripture says and scripture is the basis of faith. Have a good life. I'm convinced that the Lord will show you the truth and I recommend that you believe the Holy Spirit when He comes to you and not blaspheme Him.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's other scriptures in the Bible that speak of the resurrection of the dead not just Matthew 22:31-33, such as Luke 20: 37, 38. In verse 38 of Luke chapter 20 Jesus said for they are all living to him.
Then we take another scripture such as John 5:28,29. Which says all those in the memorial tomb will hear Jesus voice and be resurrected.
I understand that the Greek word, "taphos" which is translated grave in many Bibles presents the notion of burial(thapto meaning, to bury) and in Matthew 23:27, mnemeion(from mnaomao, Mimnesko, to remind) is a memorial (sepulchre as a monument). Related to mnemeion is the word mnema which appears to have a corresponding meaning, referring also to "a memorial or record of a thing or a dead person, then a sepulchral monument, and so a tomb. Such a tomb may be a excavated grave in the ground or, as was often the case among the Hebrews, might be a natural cave or a rock cut vault. So the word taphos, translated grave gives us the emphasis to the idea of burial, the Greek words mnema translated tomb and the Greek word, mnemeion(memorial tomb) lay stress on the thought preserving to memory of the deceased person. So all these scriptures relating to the resurrection of the dead are talking about all those preserved alive in God's memory.
We also have to take into consideration the fact that nobody was resurrected to eternal life before Jesus.
Regarding Moses he had been long dead before the Only Begotten Son of God became the human named Jesus. Jesus himself said at Matthew 17:9 that what had transpired concerning the transfiguration was a vision. Jesus was literally there, but Moses and Elijah had been dead for many centuries.
At the scripture John 3:13 it says no one had gone into heaven before Jesus. I have found no scripture that says that anyone has been resurrected to eternal life before Jesus. So Moses and Elijah were not leterally there.
Barney, scripture says that Jesus spoke with Moses and Elijah on the mount of transfiguration. Please refrain from calling God a liar. There is no account in scripture of more than 1 person having the same "vision", none.
That "vision" had significance in that Moses and Elijah represent the Law and the prophets, but why was Jesus speaking with a vision and why did Peter refer to it as a real event? Believe the scriptures (and stop trying to make God a liar,)

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every eye will see an invisible presence? I'm sorry Barney, but this conversation is pointless as you just aren't believing what scripture says and scripture is the basis of faith. Have a good life. I'm convinced that the Lord will show you the truth and I recommend that you believe the Holy Spirit when He comes to you and not blaspheme Him.

Think whatever you want about me, but that scripture in Revelation that you're thinking I'm not looking at correctly which says "every eye will see him" says the eyes that pierced him will see him too. Do you believe that the roman soldier that pierced Jesus with his spear is still alive and walking on earth and will literally see Jesus with his literal eyes? Because I don't think so. The fact that this scripture says that the eyes that pierced Jesus would see him too mean this scripture is talking about symbolic eyes, not literal eyes. Now if you want to believe that the roman soldier that pierced Jesus is still alive and walking this earth and will literally see Jesus with his literal eyes, Go ahead and believe that, I'm not going to. The eyes in that scripture in Revelations are symbolic eyes.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Barney, scripture says that Jesus spoke with Moses and Elijah on the mount of transfiguration. Please refrain from calling God a liar. There is no account in scripture of more than 1 person having the same "vision", none.
That "vision" had significance in that Moses and Elijah represent the Law and the prophets, but why was Jesus speaking with a vision and why did Peter refer to it as a real event? Believe the scriptures (and stop trying to make God a liar,)

As I said Jesus said regarding the transfiguration that it was a vision, I'm not going to call him a liar by disputing what Jesus said.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems that sometimes when one gets religion, his or her mind just shuts like a steel trap for some strange reason. Some christians act like.. well, that if a member of a Christian church other than his/her own says something, it is automatically to be dismissed, often derisively, for no "reason" other than the fact that person belongs to a different church! Now is that insane or not?

no, you are incorrect (saying the Catholic Church strays from the gospel).

I mean…should we laugh now…?

Reactions: michaelvpardo

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think whatever you want about me, but that scripture in Revelation that you're thinking I'm not looking at correctly which says "every eye will see him" says the eyes that pierced him will see him too. Do you believe that the roman soldier that pierced Jesus with his spear is still alive and walking on earth and will literally see Jesus with his literal eyes? Because I don't think so. The fact that this scripture says that the eyes that pierced Jesus would see him too mean this scripture is talking about symbolic eyes, not literal eyes. Now if you want to believe that the roman soldier that pierced Jesus is still alive and walking this earth and will literally see Jesus with his literal eyes, Go ahead and believe that, I'm not going to. The eyes in that scripture in Revelations are symbolic eyes.
I get it now. You don't believe scripture unless it agrees with your carnal understanding. There is no such thing as symbolic eyes. There are spiritual eyes and you could have them for the asking, but no one is ever going to give you symbolic eyes. That's insane.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said Jesus said regarding the transfiguration that it was a vision, I'm not going to call him a liar by disputing what Jesus said.
Ok, Jesus referred to the transfiguration as a vision and it had to be. So tell me, why did Jesus speak with dead men in the vision. Why did He speak with nonexistant men? What was the point?
I noticed that you completely ignored what Jesus taught when speaking of the resurrection.

31 But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God, saying, 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.” 33 And when the multitudes heard this, they were astonished at His teaching. Matthew 22:31-33
What do you imagine Jesus meant when He identified Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (all long dead) as living according to scripture? How long will you deny the word of God?

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get it now. You don't believe scripture unless it agrees with your carnal understanding. There is no such thing as symbolic eyes. There are spiritual eyes and you could have them for the asking, but no one is ever going to give you symbolic eyes. That's insane.

First, let me say that I don't believe Jesus's enemies have spiritual eyes, it seems to me if they had spiritual eyes they wouldn't be Jesus's enemies. What I see in this scripture at Revelation 1:7 is that it's not talking about Jesus' enemies seeing him with their physical eyes. Jesus said to his Apostles and disciples before he was put to death at John 14:19 that the world would not see him again, his Apostles and disciples would see him again but not the world. I have found no scripture which shows that Jesus was seen by unbelievers after his resurrection. Plus we have to remember that at 1 Timothy 6:16 Apostle Paul said that after Jesus ascension into heaven, that Jesus now "dwells in unapproachable light," and "not one of men has seen or can see" him. So Revelation 1:7 is talking about what people will see in the sense of "discern.". Just as we see, or discern God's invisible qualities by means of his creations at Romans 1:20. Jesus "is coming with clouds" in that he will be just as invisible to the naked eye as the sun is when it is behind the clouds. Although Jesus will be invisible, he will be revealed like a flaming fire, as he brings vengeance upon those who do not obey the good news about him. (2 Thessalonians 1:6-8. In other words when Armageddon begins everyone will know Jesus is here. They won't literally see him but everyone will see they're being destroyed just as the people did during the days of Noah.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, let me say that I don't believe Jesus's enemies have spiritual eyes, it seems to me if they had spiritual eyes they wouldn't be Jesus's enemies. What I see in this scripture at Revelation 1:7 is that it's not talking about Jesus' enemies seeing him with their physical eyes. Jesus said to his Apostles and disciples before he was put to death at John 14:19 that the world would not see him again, his Apostles and disciples would see him again but not the world. I have found no scripture which shows that Jesus was seen by unbelievers after his resurrection. Plus we have to remember that at 1 Timothy 6:16 Apostle Paul said that after Jesus ascension into heaven, that Jesus now "dwells in unapproachable light," and "not one of men has seen or can see" him. So Revelation 1:7 is talking about what people will see in the sense of "discern.". Just as we see, or discern God's invisible qualities by means of his creations at Romans 1:20. Jesus "is coming with clouds" in that he will be just as invisible to the naked eye as the sun is when it is behind the clouds. Although Jesus will be invisible, he will be revealed like a flaming fire, as he brings vengeance upon those who do not obey the good news about him. (2 Thessalonians 1:6-8. In other words when Armageddon begins everyone will know Jesus is here. They won't literally see him but everyone will see they're being destroyed just as the people did during the days of Noah.
Now you're just denying scripture.

I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: 2 Timothy 4:1
That which is not visible can not "appear" and God doesn't make mistakes. Who taught you such nonsense?

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said.
Those who truly believe they are in the Kingdom of the Father, where his Son is the head and rules today, the first of the resurrected dead, these are the true Christians in the 'Body' of our Savior.

I just take an exception with your last line concerning Babylon. It has fallen as Jerusalem and its rebellious spirit broken, soon after Christ. It may become revived again, in a different form, as possibly an all encompassing system of governance from the same 'origin' of the same physical and spiritual nature - Jerusalem.

That Babylon the Great is a global false religious center can be seen from its prototype of ancient Babylon, for in its infancy over 4,000 years ago, it was named Babel by Jehovah God, that means "confusion", because Jehovah confused their languages to stop the city's inhabitants from completing the Tower of Babel, with the people wanting to "make a celebrated name for ourselves".(Gen 11:1-9)

This "confusion" has been more than just languages, for down through history, it became a false religious center for the region, that eventually spread out earth wide, continuing to bring confusion as to what is right and wrong, what is truth and what is false.

For example, at Jeremiah 51:47, it says: "This is what Jehovah says: “Here I am raising up a destructive wind against Babylon and the inhabitants of Leb-kaʹmai..........Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and escape for your life. Do not perish because of her error. For it is the time for Jehovah’s vengeance."(Jer 51:1, 6; compare this with Revelation 18:4, 5 that says: "And I heard another voice out of heaven say: “Get out of her, my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues. For her sins have massed together clear up to heaven, and God has called her acts of injustice to mind")

"He is paying her back for what she has done".(Jer 51:6b; compare Revelation 18:6 that says: "Repay her in the way she treated others, yes, pay her back double for the things she has done; in the cup she has mixed, mix a double portion for her")

"She made all the earth drunk. From her wine the nations have drunk; That is why the nations have gone mad. Suddenly Babylon has fallen and is broken. Wail over her !"(Jer 51:7, 8; compare Revelation 17:1, 2, that says: "One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and said to me: “Come, I will show you the judgment on the great prostitute who sits on many waters, with whom the kings of the earth committed sexual immorality [or false religious teachings and practices that have been like sex, seducing its people to do wicked deeds, making ' nations go mad ' ] and earth’s inhabitants were made drunk [or under false religions influence] with the wine of her sexual immorality")

"Therefore this is what Jehovah says: “Here I am pleading your (or symbolic Israel's) legal case, and I will execute vengeance for you. I will dry up her sea and make her wells dry. And Babylon will become piles of stones, a lair of jackals, an object of horror and something to whistle at, without an inhabitant.........Therefore look ! the days are coming when I will turn my attention to the graven images of Babylon. All her land will be put to shame, and all her slain will fall in her midst."(Jer 51:36, 47; compare Revelation 18:8 that says: "That is why in one day her plagues will come, death and mourning and famine, and she will be completely burned with fire, because Jehovah God, who judged her, is strong"; see also Rev 14:8 that says: "Another, a second angel, followed, saying: “She has fallen ! Babylon the Great has fallen, she who made all the nations drink of the wine of the passion of her sexual immorality !”)

At Ezekiel 21, it says that "the king of Babylon (King Nebuchadnezzar) stops to use divination at the fork in the road, where the two roads branch off. He shakes the arrows. He consults his idols; he examines the liver. The divination in his right hand is pointed toward Jerusalem, to set up battering rams, to give the word for slaughter, to sound the battle cry, to set battering rams against the gates, to throw up a siege rampart, to build a siege wall."(Eze 21:21, 22) Thus, ancient Babylon was extremely religious, but most notably false.

And archaeology has found this: Evidence from excavations and from ancient texts points to the existence of more than 50 temples. The principal god of the imperial city was Marduk, called Merodach in the Bible. It has been suggested that Nimrod was deified as Marduk, but the opinions of scholars as to identifications of gods with specific humans vary. Triads of deities were also prominent in the Babylonian religion. One of these, made up of two gods and a goddess, was Sin (the moon-god), Shamash (the sun-god), and Ishtar; these were said to be the rulers of the zodiac. And still another triad was composed of the devils Labartu, Labasu, and Akhkhazu. Idolatry was everywhere in evidence. Babylon was indeed “a land of graven images,” filthy “dungy idols.”—Jer 50:1, 2, 38.(Insight on the Scriptures, Vol 1, pg 237)

An ancient cuneiform inscription gives us some idea of just how religious ancient Babylon was: Altogether there were in Babylon 53 temples of the chief gods, 55 chapels of Marduk, 300 chapels for the earthly deities, 600 for the heavenly deities, 180 altars for the goddess Ishtar, 180 for the gods Nergal and Adad and 12 other altars for different gods.

Historical records show that Babylon was a “land of graven images, and because of their frightful visions they keep acting with madness” (Jer. 50:38), that its priests ruled on nearly every activity of the Babylonian’s life and that the people could undertake no important activity without consulting the Babylonian priests and practitioners of magical arts.

Thus, Babylon the Great is the false religions of the world under one roof, that has blasphemed Jehovah God by telling falsehoods, lies, so that this global entity will be the first to go at "the great tribulation" (Matt 24:21), and be "completely burned with fire" at the hands of its customers as a "great prostitute", the "kings of the earth" or political rulers that it once cuddled up to (Rev 17:1, 2), "the ten horns" or member nations of the United Nations, "the scarlet-colored wild beast".(Rev 17:3, 16, 17)

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That Babylon the Great is a global false religious center can be seen from its prototype of ancient Babylon, for in its infancy over 4,000 years ago, it was named Babel by Jehovah God, that means "confusion", because Jehovah confused their languages to stop the city's inhabitants from completing the Tower of Babel, with the people wanting to "make a celebrated name for ourselves".(Gen 11:1-9)

This "confusion" has been more than just languages, for down through history, it became a false religious center for the region, that eventually spread out earth wide, continuing to bring confusion as to what is right and wrong, what is truth and what is false.

For example, at Jeremiah 51:47, it says: "This is what Jehovah says: “Here I am raising up a destructive wind against Babylon and the inhabitants of Leb-kaʹmai..........Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and escape for your life. Do not perish because of her error. For it is the time for Jehovah’s vengeance."(Jer 51:1, 6; compare this with Revelation 18:4, 5 that says: "And I heard another voice out of heaven say: “Get out of her, my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues. For her sins have massed together clear up to heaven, and God has called her acts of injustice to mind")

"He is paying her back for what she has done".(Jer 51:6b; compare Revelation 18:6 that says: "Repay her in the way she treated others, yes, pay her back double for the things she has done; in the cup she has mixed, mix a double portion for her")

"She made all the earth drunk. From her wine the nations have drunk; That is why the nations have gone mad. Suddenly Babylon has fallen and is broken. Wail over her !"(Jer 51:7, 8; compare Revelation 17:1, 2, that says: "One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and said to me: “Come, I will show you the judgment on the great prostitute who sits on many waters, with whom the kings of the earth committed sexual immorality [or false religious teachings and practices that have been like sex, seducing its people to do wicked deeds, making ' nations go mad ' ] and earth’s inhabitants were made drunk [or under false religions influence] with the wine of her sexual immorality")

"Therefore this is what Jehovah says: “Here I am pleading your (or symbolic Israel's) legal case, and I will execute vengeance for you. I will dry up her sea and make her wells dry. And Babylon will become piles of stones, a lair of jackals, an object of horror and something to whistle at, without an inhabitant.........Therefore look ! the days are coming when I will turn my attention to the graven images of Babylon. All her land will be put to shame, and all her slain will fall in her midst."(Jer 51:36, 47; compare Revelation 18:8 that says: "That is why in one day her plagues will come, death and mourning and famine, and she will be completely burned with fire, because Jehovah God, who judged her, is strong"; see also Rev 14:8 that says: "Another, a second angel, followed, saying: “She has fallen ! Babylon the Great has fallen, she who made all the nations drink of the wine of the passion of her sexual immorality !”)

At Ezekiel 21, it says that "the king of Babylon (King Nebuchadnezzar) stops to use divination at the fork in the road, where the two roads branch off. He shakes the arrows. He consults his idols; he examines the liver. The divination in his right hand is pointed toward Jerusalem, to set up battering rams, to give the word for slaughter, to sound the battle cry, to set battering rams against the gates, to throw up a siege rampart, to build a siege wall."(Eze 21:21, 22) Thus, ancient Babylon was extremely religious, but most notably false.

And archaeology has found this: Evidence from excavations and from ancient texts points to the existence of more than 50 temples. The principal god of the imperial city was Marduk, called Merodach in the Bible. It has been suggested that Nimrod was deified as Marduk, but the opinions of scholars as to identifications of gods with specific humans vary. Triads of deities were also prominent in the Babylonian religion. One of these, made up of two gods and a goddess, was Sin (the moon-god), Shamash (the sun-god), and Ishtar; these were said to be the rulers of the zodiac. And still another triad was composed of the devils Labartu, Labasu, and Akhkhazu. Idolatry was everywhere in evidence. Babylon was indeed “a land of graven images,” filthy “dungy idols.”—Jer 50:1, 2, 38.(Insight on the Scriptures, Vol 1, pg 237)

An ancient cuneiform inscription gives us some idea of just how religious ancient Babylon was: Altogether there were in Babylon 53 temples of the chief gods, 55 chapels of Marduk, 300 chapels for the earthly deities, 600 for the heavenly deities, 180 altars for the goddess Ishtar, 180 for the gods Nergal and Adad and 12 other altars for different gods.

Historical records show that Babylon was a “land of graven images, and because of their frightful visions they keep acting with madness” (Jer. 50:38), that its priests ruled on nearly every activity of the Babylonian’s life and that the people could undertake no important activity without consulting the Babylonian priests and practitioners of magical arts.

Thus, Babylon the Great is the false religions of the world under one roof, that has blasphemed Jehovah God by telling falsehoods, lies, so that this global entity will be the first to go at "the great tribulation" (Matt 24:21), and be "completely burned with fire" at the hands of its customers as a "great prostitute", the "kings of the earth" or political rulers that it once cuddled up to (Rev 17:1, 2), "the ten horns" or member nations of the United Nations, "the scarlet-colored wild beast".(Rev 17:3, 16, 17)
Babylon the Great may have been built somewhere near the location of the tower of Babel, but it was built centuries after the destruction of that tower and the only thing they had in common was the root word in their respective names. Babylon was built by King Nebuchadnezzar according to the scriptural account, and somewhere around the reign of King Hezekiah, fairly late in the biblical narrative.