What is a Cult?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the end, keeping sound about Biblical views of the Person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ - and enjoying fellowship with like-minded Christians - is a good way to avoid cultish thinking.

Agree! And not studying the Mandela effect is a good way to decrease anxiety!!!! This new year I am going to start out in John. Get back to the simplicity of the Gospel and that starting foundation. Keeping a good foundation is another way to keep focused on Truth.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Agree! And not studying the Mandela effect is a good way to decrease anxiety!!!! This new year I am going to start out in John. Get back to the simplicity of the Gospel and that starting foundation. Keeping a good foundation is another way to keep focused on Truth.
Hey, you know that my wife and I are reading John's Gospel together at the moment!

It's a wonderful book, with such clear language and clear focus on the beloved Son of God. (John's First Epistle has very similar themes also.)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So the valid question is what is a cult?
A cult is either a religious or social group formed around a charismatic leader, and brainwashed into believing lies. In Christendom, a cult holds to one or more deviant or heretical doctrines. Devotion to the leader, or to that group's teachings, is more important than Bible truth. Post #5 is helpful and more detailed. Sadly, cults seem to flourish more than simple Christians and Bible Christianity.

The key to identifying any cult calling themselves *Christian* is their doctrine of Christ and the triune Godhead. This is exactly what the apostle John tells us:

2 JOHN
7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
8 Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward.
9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

What does "who confesses not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh mean"? It means a DENIAL of the full deity (that Jesus is God) and the full sinless humanity of Christ. It means all heresies pertaining to the Person of Christ and the triune Godhead (the Holy Trinity).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower
D

Dave L

A cult of Christianity is a group of people, which claiming to be Christian, embraces a particular doctrinal system taught by an individual leader, group of leaders, or organization, which (system) denies (either explicitly or implicitly) one or more of the central doctrines of the Christian faith as taught in the sixty-six books of the Bible.1

Therefore for »orthodox Christianity, cults of Christianity are groups that, while claiming to be Christian, deny central doctrinal tenets such as the »Trinity and the deity of Jesus Christ. They deviate from the doctrinal norms set forth in the »Bible and the historical creeds of Christendom.

Nichols, L. A., Mather, G. A., & Schmidt, A. J. (2006). In Encyclopedic Dictionary of Cults, Sects, and World Religions (p. 381). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And while we're at l
I had a scary dream one time that I was in a great crowd of people and I walked through it to see a very good spiritual mentor of mine bowing down at this man's feet and kissing his ring. He put a necklace on her neck and in my mind I heard anti-christ. But what bothered me was I bowed down too and kissed his ring, but I wasn't expecting him to put a necklace on my neck. And it was very heavy. I couldn't take it off. And I woke up. @Hidden In Him had told me this scripture "come out of her my people" That was awhile back, I don't remember everything he said about it, but this made me think about that. That was pretty shaking.

This is how I see it, this is a picture of how many have bowed the knee to Baal (to the professing or nominal church), but then they hear the Lord’s call to come out of her. Some of these have already obediently come out of her, and the remainder are now being tested on this point, before the plagues are poured out upon Babylon.

Now as to the meaning of the necklace placed upon their necks, I believe this represents the “yoke” or bondage one is placed in when they are joined to one or another of these various systems of Baal, for some this necklace is indeed very heavy, and they can’t take it off because such love self, popularity, worldly respect and prosperity, the honor of men more than they love the Lord, they reverence human theories (teachings) and systems (denominations, sects and etc.) more than they do the Word of the Lord, and as such will not come out until Babylon falls and they are brought through the “great tribulation.” (Rev. 7:9, 14) Such shall not be accounted worthy to share in the ruling phase of the Kingdom. (Compare Rev. 2:26, 3:21; Matt. 10:37; Mark 8:34, 35; Luke 14:26, 27)

Some here proclaim to themselves and to others that they have heard the Lord’s call and have come out of Babylon, that they are now independent or non-denominational Christians free from the bondage of men and of sects, but alas they deceive themselves they have only perform the outward symbol and yet still wear the necklace of bondage. Although they may have indeed left whatever sect or denomination they were once held in, they are still unable, more so (unwilling) to remove the necklace. This necklace represent the doctrines and teachings of men as taught by Baal (the professing church), long held and cherished errors which they can’t let go of, such as the doctrine of the Trinity (which most who are at least honest at heart admit they don’t truly understand), immortality of the soul, and the most blasphemous of all, the doctrine of eternal torment as the wages of sin.

In the past such ignorance was excused, but now that we have reached the end of the age and the light is shining more than ever before, men are without excuse. Such errors are taught by and through Baal and all such whether they reside in one of the various sects of Babylon or not if they still cling to these errors (teach or propagate them in any manner or form) it implies they are still connected to Baal, to the Beast and his image, and as such bear both his name and his mark.

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And while we're at l

This is how I see it, this is a picture of how many have bowed the knee to Baal (to the professing or nominal church), but then they hear the Lord’s call to come out of her. Some of these have already obediently come out of her, and the remainder are now being tested on this point, before the plagues are poured out upon Babylon.

Now as to the meaning of the necklace placed upon their necks, I believe this represents the “yoke” or bondage one is placed in when they are joined to one or another of these various systems of Baal, for some this necklace is indeed very heavy, and they can’t take it off because such love self, popularity, worldly respect and prosperity, the honor of men more than they love the Lord, they reverence human theories (teachings) and systems (denominations, sects and etc.) more than they do the Word of the Lord, and as such will not come out until Babylon falls and they are brought through the “great tribulation.” (Rev. 7:9, 14) Such shall not be accounted worthy to share in the ruling phase of the Kingdom. (Compare Rev. 2:26, 3:21; Matt. 10:37; Mark 8:34, 35; Luke 14:26, 27)

Some here proclaim to themselves and to others that they have heard the Lord’s call and have come out of Babylon, that they now independent or non-denominational Christians free from the bondage of men and of sects, but alas they deceive themselves they have only perform the outward symbol and yet still wear the necklace of bondage. Although they may have indeed left whatever sect or denomination they were once held in, they are still unable, more so (unwilling) to remove the necklace. This necklace represent the doctrines and teachings of men as taught by Baal (the professing church), long held and cherished errors which they can’t let go of, such as the doctrine of the Trinity (which most who are at least honest at heart admit they don’t truly understand), immortality of the soul, and the most blasphemas of all the doctrine of eternal torment as the wages of sin.

In the past such ignorance was excused, but now that we have reached the end of the age and the light is shining more than ever before, men are without excuse. Such errors are taught by and through Baal and all such whether they reside in one of the various sects of Babylon or not if they still cling to these errors (teach or propagate them in any manner or form) it implies they are still connected to Baal, to the Beast and his image, and as such bear both his name and his mark.

I agree in some points, disagree in others. I do believe in the Holy Trinity and eternal torment for sin without trusting in Jesus Christ's sacrifice. I don't see how that is a yoke of bondage.

For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6 NASB

Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father's name, these testify of Me. But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one."
John 10:25‭-‬30 NASB

Reactions: Dave L

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A cult is either a religious or social group formed around a charismatic leader, and brainwashed into believing lies. In Christendom, a cult holds to one or more deviant or heretical doctrines. Devotion to the leader, or to that group's teachings, is more important than Bible truth. Post #5 is helpful and more detailed. Sadly, cults seem to flourish more than simple Christians and Bible Christianity.

The key to identifying any cult calling themselves *Christian* is their doctrine of Christ and the triune Godhead. This is exactly what the apostle John tells us:

2 JOHN
7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
8 Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward.
9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

What does "who confesses not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh mean"? It means a DENIAL of the full deity (that Jesus is God) and the full sinless humanity of Christ. It means all heresies pertaining to the Person of Christ and the triune Godhead (the Holy Trinity).

2 John 7-11 New International Version (NIV)
7 I say this because many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8 Watch out that you do not lose what wea]">[a] have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully. 9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take them into your house or welcome them. 11 Anyone who welcomes them shares in their wicked work.

Those that do not agree the second person of the Trinity became human in the incarnation, meaning took on human flesh named Jesus is teaching error.

Those that do not teach the gospel as Christ and the apostles taught it are in error.

I do not know of any cult that teaches either of these points according to the Bible.

There are those that are not cult that struggle with the idea that Christ is fully human in the flesh and fully God in the spirit. They try to make the flesh of Jesus God, which means God died on the cross, which is impossible.

They teach God paid the sin price when God said only a human could pay the sin price.

Also remember Jesus was the second Adam, which means man.

You hear a lot about son of God being Jesus and thus God. Problem with that is Adam was also called son of God. Angels and saints are called sons of God.

Finally, remember, Jesus is also called the Son of Man, meaning Adam.

Reactions: Danube

Danube

Dec 26, 2018
uk
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is shocking to see people on this board saying if you claim Christ your Christian. Or if you embrace a salvation message from groups simply because they been around a long time, claim it is from Christ or redefine words to make it work.

So the valid question is what is a cult?

Christ warns us against false Christs, saying many will come and claim to be him. And yet we still see people claiming it is sufficient just to say they believe in Christ, even if it conflicts with the Bible.

The Bible says Christ is the only way to salvation, yet we have groups preaching salvation by works and so-called elect who can forgive your sins in the name of Christ.

Or they have a different god altogether.

How can someone be saved and be a true Christian if they violate these most basic requirements?

Remember, anyone who seeks God the Holy Spirit will lead them to him.

What say you?

I would also then ask why have we so many denominations who do not have Jesus as the "head" of the church so to speak. When James tells us that a faith without works is dead and Paul says you dont need works as Jesus has done it all for us then you know why Timothy says to "reprove".
Jesus tells us that if we love the father (which is a command and not negotiable) we will "keep his commandments" and this requires a pro-active approach. It is no good saying God bless and eat well to a beggar unless you actively give him/her the neccessities of life or in this case food!
So for me a Cult is etymologically rooted with Cult-ure or plural ...multi-cult-ural... How many false Gods and their followers have been invited into our fold?

Jesus taught One God and One faith and it is based on love of the Commandments by keeping them. Simple to learn but difficult to put into practice without faith and knowledge of Jesus' faultless example.
A cult is imho akin to Satan-ism.... or doing, joining, saying, supporting and encouraging ANYTHING that opposes what God commands you to do or not to do.

1. Extrabiblical Authority

2. Works Salvation/Legalism

3. No Assurance of Salvation

4. Guru-Type Leader/Modern Prophet

5. Vacillating, Ambiguous Doctrines/Spiritual Deception

6. Claims of Special Discoveries/Additional Revelation

7. Defective Christology

8. Defective “Nature of Man”

9. Out-Of-Context Scripture Use as Proof-Texts/Segmented Biblical Attention

10. Erroneous Doctrines Concerning Life After Death and Retribution
-----

That list can very easily be applied to the modern multi-cult (universalism) of Churchianity that teaches everyone can be saved AND accommodated of their foreign beliefs, which is a very big LIE. Firstly scripture tells us that Jesus is coming to collect a remnant from the lost sheep of Israel (the sons of Isaac).....not everyone Or/and Matthew 7:21 :) most will die in their sin.

Last edited:

Danube

Dec 26, 2018
uk
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In your view,
Is it the label on the pew a person is sitting that determine's who their head is?
Or is it that individual's heart and devotion to God that matters?
Hi Jane.
In my view there is now either gatherers or scatterers.
Like Jesus said, it is not what goes into a mans mouth that will defile him but that which comes out of the mouth that will defile him. In your view, is it then ok to tell others to eat pork?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Jane.
Like Jesus said, it is not what goes into a mans mouth that will defile him but that which comes out of the mouth that will defile him. In your view, is it then ok to tell others to eat pork?
Preferably, bacon.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Jane.
Like Jesus said, it is not what goes into a mans mouth that will defile him but that which comes out of the mouth that will defile him.
I appreciate the our answer here, but I don't see how it really addresses my question.

For me answering my own question: God doesn't look on the outward appearance-- things like the label on the pew your butt warms don't determine salvation. Rather, God looks inward at the heart: do you have faith? Are you striving to follow Him? etc.

Danube

Dec 26, 2018
uk
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate the our answer here, but I don't see how it really addresses my question.

For me answering my own question: God doesn't look on the outward appearance-- things like the label on the pew your butt warms don't determine salvation. Rather, God looks inward at the heart: do you have faith? Are you striving to follow Him? etc.
Yes I have faith, how much only God really knows.
2Timothy3:16-17

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
They teach God paid the sin price when God said only a human could pay the sin price.
You still do not have a proper understanding of Christ who is God, and paid the sin debt as the God-Man (fully God and fully man). So note carefully:
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. (Acts 20:28)
Also remember Jesus was the second Adam, which means man. You hear a lot about son of God being Jesus and thus God. Problem with that is Adam was also called son of God. Angels and saints are called sons of God.
The problem is with your confused understanding of who Christ is, and no matter how often you are corrected, you persist in your error. But only a cultist would make such remarks.

But Christians have no problem believing this:
HEBREWS 1
5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. [WHO IS GOD]
7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire. [WHO ARE CREATURES]
8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:

So please note carefully:
1. THE SON OF GOD = THE ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD = GOD THE WORD = THE CREATOR = JESUS OF NAZARETH = GOD MANIFEST IN THE FLESH
2. ADAM = A DIRECT CREATION OF GOD = SON OF GOD (CREATURE)
3. ANGELS = DIRECT CREATIONS OF GOD = SONS OF GOD (CREATURES)
4. SAINTS = REGENERATED SINNERS = SONS OF GOD (CREATURES)

Now if you still fail to understand that Jesus is not a created being but the Creator God, then you are deliberately choosing a heresy.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Faith in the biblical Christ. Following his teachings in the Bible he gave us.

Reactions: Danube

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I have faith, how much only God really knows.
My point wasn't about you specifically, but more asking "how should we judge other people?".
One of the (many) big problems I have with labeling a group a "cult" is that it makes salvation (or lack thereof) determined by the label on the pew a person's butt warms. And I just don't believe that's how God sees each of us or judges us.

Reactions: Willie T and Danube

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You still do not have a proper understanding of Christ who is God, and paid the sin debt as the God-Man (fully God and fully man). So note carefully:
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. (Acts 20:28)

The problem is with your confused understanding of who Christ is, and no matter how often you are corrected, you persist in your error. But only a cultist would make such remarks.

But Christians have no problem believing this:
HEBREWS 1
5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. [WHO IS GOD]
7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire. [WHO ARE CREATURES]
8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:

So please note carefully:
1. THE SON OF GOD = THE ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD = GOD THE WORD = THE CREATOR = JESUS OF NAZARETH = GOD MANIFEST IN THE FLESH
2. ADAM = A DIRECT CREATION OF GOD = SON OF GOD (CREATURE)
3. ANGELS = DIRECT CREATIONS OF GOD = SONS OF GOD (CREATURES)
4. SAINTS = REGENERATED SINNERS = SONS OF GOD (CREATURES)

Now if you still fail to understand that Jesus is not a created being but the Creator God, then you are deliberately choosing a heresy.

And when you deny his body was created but his spirit is eternal God you are saying God died on the cross.

Adam was created and called the son of God.

Angels were created and called the sons of God.

Jesus is the second Adam, which means his flesh was created.

In your own versus first begotten means created.

God anointed him higher than his fellows. Fellow what? Humans.

God manifest in the flesh does not make the flesh God.

Your own versus say he was created and then you try to tell me he was not created, meaning his flesh, not his spirit.

Adam was nothing but dirt until God gave him a spirit.

The second Adam was nothing but dirt until the second person of the Trinity moved in by the command of the father via the Holy Spirit.

You contradict yourself, just like when you say Easter belongs in the Bible.

Danube

Dec 26, 2018
uk
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My point wasn't about you specifically, but more asking "how should we judge other people?".
One of the (many) big problems I have with labeling a group a "cult" is that it makes salvation (or lack thereof) determined by the label on the pew a person's butt warms. And I just don't believe that's how God sees each of us or judges us.
Thank you Jane. I agree. (jer 17:10)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jane_Doe22