What is a Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
And that simply means "The person who sins will die". Therefore all human beings die and also face the second death. But the soul is imperishable and death means separation. The second death is eternal separation from God.

Where do you find the soul can't die? Also all humans won't die .The 2nd death is the death of who you are,meaning your very soul.

look what happens to satan

Ezekiel 28:18
"Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee."

Ezekiel 28:19
"All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more."

Now did that verse say you will be forever seperated from God,no it didn't!!!!

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Ecclesiastes 12:7 "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God Who gave it."

Then when? After the silver cord breaks, the mind is brain dead, and the body loses its life. Then shall the body "dust" return to the earth as it was, before it was formed into food, and entered your mouth as food to make your flesh body healthy.

The spirit is the intellect of the soul, that gives the soul its identity. This is not complicated. When the body dies, and goes to the grave, the physical body will never have a use again, for the soul has returned to the Father, to God who created it in the first place. Because this is a promise of God, it should be what all Christians look forward to all the days of their lives. That is the day that we will be with the Father and Jesus Christ is heaven, not at some distant time in the future.

When man gets to the point of not being able to understand this promise that at death the soul goes immediately to be with the Father, then he form his religious man made ideas, and sidesteps what God's Word teaches. Friend, it takes only a short time for the body to decay, and there is no body there to resurrect. The body returns to the dirt that it is made of, and the soul departs from that body never to return to it.

God creates the flesh body for your soul to occupy, and He places your spirit within your soul. That is what gives your soul its identity. Then just as God gave it for a brief time, He will take your soul back to Himself, when the flesh body stops having life.

ecclesiastes12

Reactions: Stan B and Acolyte

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ask yourself a question,when did satan sin and what was happening before his fall.Do you think he fell after God made man?If so according to that premise satan fell after around 7 days,does that make sense to you?

Do most even know what his sin was?
Satans sin was pride

Reactions: Acolyte

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So . . . How would you define "soul"?? I have searched Scripture, but haven't been able to find anything definitive.

Id say the
Our spirit is energy, much like electricity, which has no mass.

Our spirit is the eternal essence of who we are, given by God at birth, when He breathes into us the breath/spirit of life.

“The Spirit of God has made me,
And the breath of the Almighty gives me life." Job 33

And then when we die, the spirit returns to God who gave it. Ecclesiastes 12:7

Our spirit is in some way designed for uniting with the Spirit of God, as Jesus prayer: "The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity" John 17:21-23

That's the easy part, but what is the soul?

Id say the soul is our mind. The intellectual part of us.

Reactions: Stan B

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BAM!!!!!,Not in some form,but exactly how we were before being born of woman.Had satan not rebelled we never would had been made flesh.
Can you show me that in the Bible? Please keep it simple for my sake.

Thank you!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the devil simply wanted to have fun in his own way, rather than being fulfilled by the joy of the Holy Ghost.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe that angels are spirits.

They can go from being solid to spiritual:

Heb 1:7, And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

The spirit is eternal, but the soul is not necessarily eternal. "The soul that sinneth shall die."

Death means separation; and therefore when the soul dies, it does not necessarily cease to exist. It continues to be conscious of its experience.

Where do you find the soul can't die? Also all humans won't die .The 2nd death is the death of who you are,meaning your very soul.

look what happens to satan

Ezekiel 28:18
"Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee."

Ezekiel 28:19
"All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more."

Now did that verse say you will be forever seperated from God,no it didn't!!!!

Nevertheless, in Revelation 20:10, it declares that the fate of the devil is that he will be tormented with fire and brimstone day and night for ever and ever.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God Who gave it."

Then when? After the silver cord breaks, the mind is brain dead, and the body loses its life. Then shall the body "dust" return to the earth as it was, before it was formed into food, and entered your mouth as food to make your flesh body healthy.

The spirit is the intellect of the soul, that gives the soul its identity. This is not complicated. When the body dies, and goes to the grave, the physical body will never have a use again, for the soul has returned to the Father, to God who created it in the first place. Because this is a promise of God, it should be what all Christians look forward to all the days of their lives. That is the day that we will be with the Father and Jesus Christ is heaven, not at some distant time in the future.

When man gets to the point of not being able to understand this promise that at death the soul goes immediately to be with the Father, then he form his religious man made ideas, and sidesteps what God's Word teaches. Friend, it takes only a short time for the body to decay, and there is no body there to resurrect. The body returns to the dirt that it is made of, and the soul departs from that body never to return to it.

God creates the flesh body for your soul to occupy, and He places your spirit within your soul. That is what gives your soul its identity. Then just as God gave it for a brief time, He will take your soul back to Himself, when the flesh body stops having life.

ecclesiastes12

The Bible teaches that we will receive a new, glorified body in heaven, united with our old body in some way, shape, or form. But I am growing tired today so if you want to know, let me know and I'll hash out the scriptures on this with you another day.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't believe that angels are spirits.
Then your belief is in conflict with Scripture.
But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation? (Heb 1:13,14)

We need to make sure we are basing our beliefs on what the Bible says. Not what we imagine. All spirits are angelic beings, and all angels are spirit beings (whether holy or evil, whether good or bad).

Reactions: Stan B

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Then your belief is in conflict with Scripture.
But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation? (Heb 1:13,14)

We need to make sure we are basing our beliefs on what the Bible says. Not what we imagine. All spirits are angelic beings, and all angels are spirit beings (whether holy or evil, whether good or bad).

Okay. And as I have stated elsewhere, Angels can materialize, or dematerialize, much like Jesus after His resurrection.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that Jesus' suffering and death was an illusion? If so, then you too, are an illusion.
I am saying what God has said...that all the world is "created", man is an "image", even the Son of man, and that space, time, and matter are light and energy from God who spoke it all into being. Which, by definition makes it an "illusion", even scientifically; and by God, merely what "is written" made manifest by supernatural revelation unto judgement.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't believe that angels are spirits. They have the ability to materialize or dematerialize at will much like Jesus was able to do with His resurrection body.

Humans are different, because they need a physical body to function. The human body seems to be sort of a vehicle for conveying our spirit during our lifetime.

Stan,

How, then, do you interpret these Scriptures?

Hebrews 1:7 (NIV), 'In speaking of the angels he says, "He makes his angels spirits, and his servants flames of fire’ [citing Ps 104:4].

Hebrews 1:14 (NIV), 'Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?'

Oz

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stan,

How, then, do you interpret these Scriptures?

Hebrews 1:7 (NIV), 'In speaking of the angels he says, "He makes his angels spirits, and his servants flames of fire’ [citing Ps 104:4].

Hebrews 1:14 (NIV), 'Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?'

Oz
I even forgot about angels who took women and they birthed giants in the land. That would definitely suggest a physical body.