What is everyone studying at the start of this new year f 2020 ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

Yes, I know that this is not really a Christian Debate Forum subject, but perhaps a subject will emerge as we share.

For example, I finished studying the book of Acts at the end of 2019, which was tremendous, and then made a comparison of the two prayers of Ephesians, which was a joy, but am now in-between studies, looking for direction.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Helen and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm in the middle of Philippians, and in Romans. Daily reading just starting 1 Chronicles. Reading Nehemiah to my wife in the mornings.

Speaking of comparing prayers, my pastor just did a comparison between Mary's Magnificat and Hannah's Song, really good!

Much love!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Good to see you again, @marks.

Thank you for responding.
You have given me food for thought.
Say 'Hello' to your wife for me. How lovely to be read to from the Scriptures like that.

Within the love of Christ our Saviour
Chris

Reactions: Taken and Helen
B

brakelite

Some may be aware that my church, the SDAs, study particular topics or books over quarterly periods. This is of course beside our personal study; this corporate quarterly study is what we all share in our meetings each Sabbath, discussing and sharing what's the previous week has revealed. We may not all agree with what the writer of the study has offered, and we have every opportunity to discuss why we disagree or agree... And offer further insights which occur to us. This quarter's study is the book of Daniel. Here is the introduction....

Daniel, Prophet of the End

As the nineteenth century disappeared into the twentieth, a sense of optimism pervaded the West. Through science and technology, humanity was advancing toward a golden age, a future of wonderful possibilities when war, pestilence, poverty, and hunger would finally be ended. That was the hope, anyway.

Of course, the twentieth century proved this hope not only wrong but also foolish and naïve. This helps explain why, when we entered the twenty-first century, it was with no great sense of optimism about a better future.

From a worldly perspective, the world still seems in pretty dismal shape and, worse, holds little prospect for improvement. Humans seem just as inclined toward greed, oppression, violence, conquest, exploitation, and self-destruction now as our ancestors were in ages past. Meanwhile, many of our great technological advances, though sometimes serving humanity well, have aided us in our greed, oppression, violence, conquest, exploitation, and self-destruction.

Daniel remains what it was when penned thousands of years ago: a powerful revelation of the love and character of our Lord Jesus Christ.
None of this should be surprising, of course, not with such texts as “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?” (Jer. 17:9, NKJV) or “For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places” (Matt. 24:7, NKJV).

And yet, amid all this despair and calamity, we have the book of Daniel, our study for this quarter, a book that’s especially relevant for us who are living in the ayt qatz, “the time of the end” (Dan. 12:9). And that’s because in the sacred pages of Daniel we have powerful, rational, faith-affirming evidence not only for our belief in God but also in the Lord Jesus Christ and His death on the cross, as well as the promise of His return and all that His return entails.

Think about it. All through Daniel (chapters 2, 7, 8, 11), we have been given, from various angles, the following sequence of empires: Babylon, Media-Persia, Greece, Rome, and God’s eternal kingdom after the Second Coming. From our perspective today, living when we do, we can see that all the worldly kingdoms have come and gone as predicted. Or, in the case of Rome, it came and remains, at least for now, just as Daniel wrote. It is depicted in the feet and toes of Daniel 2:33, 41 and is manifested in the still-divided nations of Europe, as well as the Roman church itself.

Thus, we have an affirmation of biblical prophecy as broad and as solid as the history of the world that someone living in the time of Babylon, or Greece, or even in the earlier days of Rome, could not have had.

Living where we are on the prophetic timescale, we also can see that Daniel was correct about all these kingdoms; thus, we have even more reasons to trust him regarding the only one yet to come: God’s eternal kingdom—after the Second Coming.

Yes, the book of Daniel remains a powerful, faith-affirming document, especially for Seventh-day Adventists, who find within its pages texts seminal to our church, especially Daniel 8:14, “And he said to me, ‘For two thousand three hundred days; then the sanctuary shall be cleansed’ ” (NKJV). This text is parallel to Daniel 7:22, 26, 27, which shows that after the great heavenly judgment, given “in favor of the saints of the Most High,” God’s eternal kingdom will be established. In contrast to the fleeting, earthly empires, it will last forever.

And yet, alongside the “big picture,” we see just how close Christ can be to us, individually. From King Nebuchadnezzar’s dream to Daniel’s deliverance from the lions’ den, the book shows us God’s immanence, or His nearness to us; as Daniel told wicked King Belshazzar, He is the God “who holds your breath in His hand and owns all your ways” (Dan. 5:23, NKJV).

In short, the book of Daniel, our study for this quarter, remains what it was when penned thousands of years ago: a powerful revelation of the love and character of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The beauty of this is that in our travels, we can visit any SDA church in the world and find that church studying the exact same topic as we would have been at home. What is also interesting is that I can remember studying Daniel at least once before corporately, but each time we approach the subject we come from a different perspective...a different writer... Which engenders different discussions and sometimes different conclusions... The Bible never becomes stale, predictable, or depleted of revelation.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm in the middle of Philippians, and in Romans. Daily reading just starting 1 Chronicles. Reading Nehemiah to my wife in the mornings.

Speaking of comparing prayers, my pastor just did a comparison between Mary's Magnificat and Hannah's Song, really good!

Much love!
Good comparrision, but I like what Mother Elisabeth had to say,
Luke 1:39 "And Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Juda;

Luke 1:40 "And entered into the house of Zacharias, and saluted Elisabeth.

Luke 1:41 "And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:

Luke 1:42 "And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.

Luke 1:43 "And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

Luke 1:44 "For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.

Luke 1:45 "And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord.

Mother Elisabeth was barren like Hannah, but both was faithful.

oh by the way, one point we would like to make here in these two women prayers's and speaking is this. both was the focal point, or a turning point in History. with Hannah her son the first Prophet in Israel to speak the people to God. and Elisabeth her son one of the two witness who spoke to the people of God in over 400 years.

also her name Elisabeth, meaning Oath or covenant, combined with her Husband name, Zacharias, which means God remember. it had been around or about 400 years before that there was no word from God. in the names of Zacharias, God remember, and his wife name, Elisabeth, meaning "covenant". God "Remember" his "Covenant" with Israel.

in this barren women of God, as with Hannah, now God speaks to the nations by these women sons. what a GREAT God we serve.

PICJAG.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In mine I found it interesting where Paul says in 1 Cor " I hear there are divisions among you.." then he takes them right into what we call "communion".
He says :-
28 "But let a man examine himself , and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep."

I know that we have probably all heard this preached on a hundred times, and quoted before communion is taken ...and we are told "to examine our self. What got my attention this time was...in the OT it is always the Lamb that the man brought to the priests which was examined ...the man was NOT examined!!

I'd like to know how this all reads in the original , back it seems to be backward...in Paul's preaching ( "ye are dead and your new life is hid with Christ in God".. and " reckon yourself to be dead indeed to sin.." ) Is all about what God is, and what God has done...
King David said - "I have set the Lord always before my face, He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved."

It is He we look to..study, examine ... just like those who's job it is to spot fake money and fake diamonds...they learn by examining the True, not by 'looking for' the fakes. Anything not true is cast aside..

Our performance is the effect of our acceptance in Christ, its not the cause.

Anyway.. that is what I have been musing upon and where I have been :)

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @Helen,

Reading your words, I think of (2 Corinthians 3:18) ' But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.'

Praise God!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord.
Hi 101,

Good post!

. . . I like to think that when she said this bit above it was with a long and meaningful look towards Zacheriah, who had not believed . . .

Much love!

Reactions: charity and Helen

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm preaching through John's Gospel currently.

Hi David,

I love John's gospel with it's witness testimonies, all chosen with one aim in view - John 20:30-31.

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In mine I found it interesting where Paul says in 1 Cor " I hear there are divisions among you.." then he takes them right into what we call "communion".
28 "But let a man examine himself , and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

I know that we have probably all heard this preached on a hundred times, and quoted before communion is taken ...and we are told "to examine our self. What got my attention this time was...in the OT it is always the Lamb that the man brought to the priests which was examined ...the man was NOT examined!!

I'd like to know how this all reads in the original , back it seems to be backward...in Paul's preaching ( "ye are dead and your new life is hid with Christ in God".. and " reckon yourself to be dead indeed to sin.." ) Is all about what God is, and what God has done...
King David said - "I have set the Lord always before my face, He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved."

It is He we look to..study, examine ... just like those who's job it is to spot fake money and fake diamonds...they learn by examining the True, not by 'looking for' the fakes. Anything not true is cast aside..

Good point Helen, but God examine our Hearts. just as he did in the beginning with Cain and Abel.
Genesis 4:3 "And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.

Genesis 4:4 "And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering.

the Priest examine the Gift, but God examine the Heart before it get to the Priest. and the NT is in line with this action.
2 Corinthians 8:21 "Providing for honest things, not only in the sight of the Lord, but also in the sight of men.

I like the eyes you have to see these things. this is good question to ask, and without arguments. so keep on asking.

God bless you.

PICJAG.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Hello @Helen

Looking at this study of yours again, the fact that the Lamb and not the man who brought it was examined has come over clearer to me. How wonderful a picture this is, isn't it?

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Helen

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Logically you should move on to Romans since it is such a key book.

I am looking at OT quotations in the NT.

Hello @Enoch111,

I have decided to move on to Romans, for as you say, it is the logical thing to do, and is indeed a 'key' book.
My problem with Romans is actually getting beyond the opening verses, for I love them so much.

'Paul, a servant (G1401) of Jesus Christ,
.. called to be an apostle,
.... separated unto the gospel of God,
(
Which He had promised afore by His prophets in the holy scriptures,)
Concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord,
.. Which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
.... And declared to be the Son of God with power,
...... according to the spirit of holiness,
........ by the resurrection from the dead: ... '

(Romans 1:1-4)

* Paul was a 'bond-slave' (one, who though free, chose to remain in his masters service out of love) .
* A bond slave of Jesus Christ of Whom it is said:-

'Who, being in the form of God,
.. thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
.... But made Himself of no reputation,
...... and took upon Him the form of a servant
(G1401),
........ and was made in the likeness of men:
And being found in fashion as a man,
.. He humbled Himself,
.... and became obedient unto death,
...... even the death of the cross.
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Him,
.. and given Him a name which is above every name:
.... That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
...... of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
........ And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
.......... to the glory of God the Father.'

(Philippoans 2:7-11)

* Our Lord had taken the form of a bond-slave (G1401) too, becoming totally obedient to God His Father, even unto death upon a cross.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Taken and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello @Helen

Looking at this study of yours again, the fact that the Lamb and not the man who brought it was examined has come over clearer to me. How wonderful a picture this is, isn't it?

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Agree , we hear lots ( and read here lots ) about 'we must measure up here, and we must measure up there, or we won't enter in. '
We can read it here over and over :rolleyes:

Yet we see with Adam, and the Last Adam..who it is that comes with the 'hath God said' ...and the- "IF you be the son of God then.."
It wasn't God.

When we examine ourself we will ALWAYS come up short. It amazes me the people who are still caught up in "doing" to please God. And sadly a few here pat themselves on the back for checking off how well the live.
( and how badly the rest of us are doing!)

WE in ourself can never please Him.

But, when we examine The Lamb...therein is our rest and peace.
From Gen - Rev, it is not about US it is all about HIM.
It's His revelation of Himself. :)

God can only look at us and see us hid in Christ.

"He that DWELLETH in the Secret Place of The Most High , shall abide under the shadow of The Almighty "

Wow! No wonder Jesus told us the - " Abide in Me.." :)

Reactions: charity and Taken

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year, Chris!

I have just finished studying the book of Jeremiah, and am now embarking on John's Gospel.

Reactions: charity

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Agree , we hear lots ( and read here lots ) about 'we must measure up here, and we must measure up there, or we won't enter in. '
We can read it here over and over :rolleyes:

Yet we see with Adam, and the Last Adam..who it is that comes with the 'hath God said' ...and the- "IF you be the son of God then.."
It wasn't God.

When we examine ourself we will ALWAYS come up short. It amazes me the people who are still caught up in "doing" to please God. And sadly a few here pat themselves on the back for checking off how well the live.
( and how badly the rest of us are doing!)

WE in ourself can never please Him.

But, when we examine The Lamb...therein is our rest and peace.
From Gen - Rev, it is not about US it is all about HIM.
It's His revelation of Himself. :)

God can only look at us and see us hid in Christ.

"He that DWELLETH in the Secret Place of The Most High , shall abide under the shadow of The Almighty "

Wow! No wonder Jesus told us the - " Abide in Me.." :)
Hi @Helen,

Thank you for this lovely response, which causes spiritual cartwheels in my spirit! :) With praise and absolute agreement. Amen and Amen!

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year, Chris!

I have just finished studying the book of Jeremiah, and am now embarking on John's Gospel.

* Happy New Year to you too, @Deborah: and thank you for your input.

* How wonderfully blessed we all are to have God's Word to partake of and inwardly digest, aren't we? for it is food and drink to our spirit. Is there a reason for your choice of John's gospel to follow Jeremiah?

* The verses that come to mind to me most from Jeremiah are in chapter 9, but as I look for them to quote here my eyes alight on Jeremiah 9:1-2. which give a glimpse into God's heart, and the suffering He has had to endure:-

'Oh that my head were waters,
.. and mine eyes a fountain of tears,
.... that I might weep day and night for the slain of the daughter of my people!
Oh that I had in the wilderness a lodging place of wayfaring men;
that I might leave my people, and go from them!
for they be all adulterers, an assembly of treacherous men.'

(Jeremiah 9:1-2)

* Which makes me think of the words:-

'And grieve not the holy Spirit of God,
.. whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
.... Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking,
...... be put away from you, with all malice:
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another,
.. even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.'

(Ephesians 4:30-32)

* The verses I wanted to quote are verses 23-24:-

'Thus saith the LORD,
.. Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom,
.... neither let the mighty man glory in his might,
...... let not the rich man glory in his riches:
But let him that glorieth glory in this,
.. that he understandeth and knoweth me,
.... that I am the LORD
...... which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth:
for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.'

(Jeremiah 9:23)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Enoch111,

I have decided to move on to Romans, for as you say, it is the logical thing to do, and is indeed a 'key' book.
My problem with Romans is actually getting beyond the opening verses, for I love them so much.

'Paul, a servant (G1401) of Jesus Christ,
.. called to be an apostle,
.... separated unto the gospel of God,
(
Which He had promised afore by His prophets in the holy scriptures,)
Concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord,
.. Which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
.... And declared to be the Son of God with power,
...... according to the spirit of holiness,
........ by the resurrection from the dead: ... '

(Romans 1:1-4)

* Paul was a 'bond-slave' (one, who though free, chose to remain in his masters service out of love) .
* A bond slave of Jesus Christ of Whom it is said:-

'Who, being in the form of God,
.. thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
.... But made Himself of no reputation,
...... and took upon Him the form of a servant
(G1401),
........ and was made in the likeness of men:
And being found in fashion as a man,
.. He humbled Himself,
.... and became obedient unto death,
...... even the death of the cross.
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Him,
.. and given Him a name which is above every name:
.... That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
...... of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
........ And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
.......... to the glory of God the Father.'

(Philippoans 2:7-11)

* Our Lord had taken the form of a bond-slave (G1401) too, becoming totally obedient to God His Father, even unto death upon a cross.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
'Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ,
called to be an apostle,
separated unto the gospel of God, ... '

(Romans 1:1)

Hello there,

Having started the first verse of Romans, to illustrate why I love the opening verses of Romans and find it difficult moving on from them, I thought I should at least complete the verse, for what I had considered were just the first five words, which in themselves yielded a spiritual feast. The next five words are, 'called to be an apostle' (G652), which the margin of my Bible tells me says literally, 'a called apostle' (a sent one, a messenger, an ambassador, or commissioner for Christ). Here, yet again my mind is taken to the Lord Jesus Christ in the words of Hebrews 3:1-2. Who Himself is referred to as, 'The 'Apostle' (G652), He being the One Who was 'sent' to do His Father's will.

'Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling,
consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
Who was faithful to Him that appointed Him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house.'

* He too, was 'appointed' for this role, and constantly refers to Himself as having been 'sent' by the Father. What a role model to have? What a standard to aspire to? Who was 'faithful to Him that appointed Him'. Faithfulness being the quality required of an Apostle, to faithfully transmit the message given by him that sent him. This was no self-appointed role of Paul's. He was called by the will of God (Ephesians 1:1). There can be no higher authority than that. Yet he was constantly having to defend that authority, for it was constantly being attacked, and undermined by those who opposed the message that He had been sent to deliver. Even now, the message he was given to deliver is opposed and undermined, and his Divinely appointed authority questioned. So nothing has changed, the work of the enemy continues to this day.

* The word 'sent' (or 'to send') that I looked up in relation to this is G3992 = 'pempo', and I read that it means to send (esp. with an escort), the sender accompanying those sent. Which I thought rather lovely when applied to our Lord Jesus Christ and the Apostle Paul. They were never alone, for the One Who had sent them was with them, e.g.,

'Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered,
every man to his own, and shall leave me alone:
and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.'

(John 16:32)

'At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me:
I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge.
Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me;
that by me the preaching might be fully known,
and that all the Gentiles might hear:
and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion. ... '

(2 Timothy 4:16)​

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited: