What is Faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. - Hebrews 11:13.

We put a lot of stock in what we know. What we believe. Human beings in the world will die for what they know. That is a strange phenomenon! To die for what you believe. Put that in a spiritual since. Those of faith - in the old testament.. lived and died by faith.

Read our text verse clear, it says:

NOT having received the promises - but having seen them afar off. What did they see. Good question. What were they seeing? Ask yourself what they were seeing, yet not recieving - and why. Why did they not recieve what they seen. They loved God it appeared, they did all in faith - believe God.

* What was it they saw? Can we give an answer to man - to humanity.. do we have the answer *

Scripture says you will live and die by faith. After all there should be an explanation for such living! What should that life be - what would possess it to give itself to the substance hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. - Hebrews 11:1.

Have you ever looked at faith in a study method. Such as give yourself to understand what faith is. Some of the greatest preachers and teachers of our time, have peached and taught - what faith is. With great results.

Have you been to the seminars, and read the books, or been privileged enough to sit and listen to the greatest of our day. Yet it seemed to slip away. Move on is a better term. Men and women all over the world, have moved on from their faith being something as we were taught.

Why does God do that? another good question we should ask - why do movements come and go. God movements! God moving among the church. Doing something - moving men and women up and out. Always moving.

Yet we will ask questions such as; where is God in all this. All that is going on in the world. Oh - but where is my faith! What is faith? You will live and die for what you believe. It shouldn't have to be like that - not in our day.

Why is that? we live in the day they could see. How much more (Romans 5) we should be persuaded - confessed strangers and pilgrims in the world! We have and are the things they could see, by faith.

NOW - faith is. You can only believe it. It is here and it is believed. To those that will believe - they receive the things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen!

Coming to an end of self - and seeing your true self takes a different faith. The faith Abraham hoped for. Faithful Abraham had evidence.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. - Hebrews 11:13.

We put a lot of stock in what we know. What we believe. Human beings in the world will die for what they know. That is a strange phenomenon! To die for what you believe. Put that in a spiritual since. Those of faith - in the old testament.. lived and died by faith.

Read our text verse clear, it says:

NOT having received the promises - but having seen them afar off. What did they see. Good question. What were they seeing? Ask yourself what they were seeing, yet not recieving - and why. Why did they not recieve what they seen. They loved God it appeared, they did all in faith - believe God.

* What was it they saw? Can we give an answer to man - to humanity.. do we have the answer *

Scripture says you will live and die by faith. After all there should be an explanation for such living! What should that life be - what would possess it to give itself to the substance hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. - Hebrews 11:1.

Have you ever looked at faith in a study method. Such as give yourself to understand what faith is. Some of the greatest preachers and teachers of our time, have peached and taught - what faith is. With great results.

Have you been to the seminars, and read the books, or been privileged enough to sit and listen to the greatest of our day. Yet it seemed to slip away. Move on is a better term. Men and women all over the world, have moved on from their faith being something as we were taught.

Why does God do that? another good question we should ask - why do movements come and go. God movements! God moving among the church. Doing something - moving men and women up and out. Always moving.

Yet we will ask questions such as; where is God in all this. All that is going on in the world. Oh - but where is my faith! What is faith? You will live and die for what you believe. It shouldn't have to be like that - not in our day.

Why is that? we live in the day they could see. How much more (Romans 5) we should be persuaded - confessed strangers and pilgrims in the world! We have and are the things they could see, by faith.

NOW - faith is. You can only believe it. It is here and it is believed. To those that will believe - they receive the things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen!

Coming to an end of self - and seeing your true self takes a different faith. The faith Abraham hoped for. Faithful Abraham had evidence.

The Bible actually defines what faith is Mike:
(Hebrews 11:1) . . .Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen.

I know your post defines it to a much greater degree, but I just stuck my 2 cents in there for the direct answer to your posted question.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with Robert Gwin. Here is another version of the same verse. "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, being convinced of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1 NET

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith is an intellectual assent to the truths revealed by God!

who can neither deceive or be deceived!

Truth must be revealed by God, and in its fullness in the sacred deposit of faith by Christ to his church! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3 and must be taught by the church, or proposed for our belief by the apostles!
Matt 28:19-20 Lk 1:4 Jn 20:21 acts 8:31 Rom 1:5 col 2:7 1 Tim 3:15
matt 18:17

Christ and His church are one! acts 9:4 Acts 5:32 Jn 15:1-5

Truth must be revealed by God thru Christ to His church (the apostles Jude 1:3) then must be proposed by the church, (Matt 28:19 gal 3:23) without error by the Holy Spirit! (Jn 16:13)

The evidence of true faith is humble subjection and obedience to Christ & His holy church!

The rule of faith for Christians is Jesus Christ Jn 14:6 and His church! Matt 18:17 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

True Christians cannot listen to the errors of excommunicated heretics, but we listen faithfully to Christ, in the bosom of holy mother church, the only ark of salvation!
1 pet 3:20-21 matt 18:17 matt 16:18-19 matt 28:19-20 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-23

Truth must be revealed by God thru Christ to His church (the apostles Jude 1:3) then must be proposed by the church, (Matt 28:19 gal 3:23) without error by the Holy Spirit! (Jn 16:13)

Christ and His church are one! (Acts 9:4 eph 5:31 Jn 15:1-5)

Rejection of the one true church or its teaching is rejection of Christ and God!

Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32 Jn 8:12 & Matt 5:14

God does not reveal His truth in a vacuum!

God does not set His true adrift on a sea of spiritual anarchy!

God sets His truth in His church, in the possession of His apostles to safeguard, to ensure it is not added to, or taken away from, or changed in any way!

And to teach the same truth to all nations and all ages!

Verified by scripture:

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost!

Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints!

2 Thessalonians 2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness!
(all scripture not 66 books alone)

Must be instructed in the faith:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations…

Jn 29:21-23 as the father sent me, so I send you. (Same mission, power, and authority to teach all nations)

Lk 10:16 He who hears you, (His apostles) hear me.

Jn 13:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Jn 8:32 You (the apostles) shall know the truth; and the truth shall make you free.

Jn 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
(His apostles)

The whole purpose for the church of Jesus Christ is to teach all nations the truths revealed by Christ and the salvation of souls!