1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Heresy?

Discussion in 'NonChristian Help Forum' started by Tim TP, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Mungo

Mungo Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    If you define someone having authority over me in a specific situation to mean that they are superior to me in the specifics of that authority in that situation then you have answered your own question.

2. aspen

aspen “"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Tim, of course it is me - it is about time you recognized it........

Actually, authority resides in community recognized persons who are agreed upon and appointed. I am Roman Catholic and my community has appointed bishops, cardinals and priests as authorities so I choose to follow their direction unless it requires me to go against the purpose God created me for, which is to love. Yes, I believe God has appointed them, but not in a unique manner - I believe He has created everything for a purpose.

When I made the claim that many Christians have lost their understanding of authority in their lives, I was speaking out against the foundation of Americanism, which is rebellion. Our nation is rooted in rebellion, which stems from the Reformation, the revolutionary war, and the Enlightenment - I am not condemning any of this history, but I think it has put our culture on an extreme path leading to radical individualism, hedonism, materialism, and paranoia about all authority - church, government, etc. I do not think it is healthy. It is definitely not healthy for Christians, who claim to submit to God, but are anti authority in every other aspect of their lives.

3. Dodo_David

Dodo_David Melmacian in human guise

From my perspective, it was rebellious for the Patriarch of Rome to separate himself from the other Patriarchs of the universal Church.

By the way, the Reformation was rebellion from unbiblical doctrine ... but I digress. :p

4. aspen

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    So Dodo, from your perspective, the Reformers had the right to rebel because according to you Rome did it first? Everyone has a justification for rebellion, even Lucifer.....

5. Dodo_David

The Reformers rebelled against unbiblical doctrine. ^_^

The USA rebelled against the tyranny of the King of England.

So, rebellion isn't always an absolute wrong.

6. aspen

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The only Reformer that gets a pass in my opinion is Luther because he did not start out trying to rebel. I think the fruits of rebellion as far as Calvin, Zwingli, Henry XIII speak for itself. As far as this conversation, it is off topic and focuses on denominational issues so we best leave it

7. Dodo_David

Getting back to the topic of this thread, heresy isn't something that just one branch of the universal Church gets to define.

For the purpose of this website, the essentials of the Christian faith are the close-handed things described in this website's Statement of Faith.

Now, let's move on to something more fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side Note: The branches of the universal Church include Messianic Jews, Anglican Christians, Protestant Christians, Eastern Orthodox Christians, Oriental Orthodox Christians and Roman Catholic Christians.

8. fashcoca

fashcoca New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Egypt
    When we hear the word "heresy" we often think of a group that worships Satan, slaughters animals, or practices strange and sinister pagan rituals. However, the truth is that fads rarely include these things. Bid’ah in its broad sense is defined as a religious system that has certain rituals and customs.
    upload_2022-4-10_20-24-57.png
    However, heresy is usually defined in the narrower sense of the word which refers to a non-traditional group whose members distort the original teachings of the religion. In the context of Christianity, the definition of heresy is in particular: "A heresy is a religious group that denies one or more basic biblical principles." Heresy is a group that proclaims beliefs, which make those who believe in them remain without salvation. Heresy claims that it is part of the religion, but it denies a fact or basic truths of those who. Therefore, Christian heresy denies one or more of the truths of Christianity while still claiming that it is part of Christianity.

9. The Learner

The Learner Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    qoutes from church fathers please, with links to them at newadvent.org

10. Angelina

Angelina Prayer Warrior Staff Member Admin

Faith:
    Christian
    New Zealand
    :oldthread: