What is Mariology?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I hope that helps
Thank you for your response... I was under the impression that in the eyes of the church... because I have left the religion of Roman Catholicism as an adult... knowing full well that I was walking away from the sacraments... that I was considered an apostate and thus going to hell. I have no idea where to find this answer... and I'm not really interested in what the Catholic church has to say anyways... but your answer does not seem to indicate this in that you have stated one does not go to hell for leaving the Catholic church.
This was merely a question to engage in conversation with you... so it did not help ( so to speak )... but it was appreciated.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Catechism says:
“What the Catholic faith believes about Mary is based on what it believes about Christ, and what it teaches about Mary illumines in turn its faith in Christ.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, para 487)

Therefore it would have to be a doctrine about Christ. The only doctrine that I can think of is that Jesus Christ is/was not God. But if that was true then IMO the whole of Christianity is false.

Thanks Mungo

Not the whole of Christianity only those who hold to the doctrine of the Trinity. I sincerely appreciate your honesty and willingness to answer my questions, it’s been refreshing to have this amicable discussion.

If you discovered that Mary went on to have other children with Joseph how would this affect your faith and confidence in the Church?

Would that knowledge alone cause you to reconsider being a Catholic, or would it need to be as you said, Jesus not being God to cause you to reconsider your faith? I am interested to know whether you would have a Nicodemus type moment, or would you remain in the Church regardless of their error?

F2F

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Another false opinion given without evidence.
The evidence is clear in the scriptures but you choose to believe your theories....and so, just as men before you who have done the same, your vision is disabled.

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings all,

Is there a Scripture which states Mary should be praised?

It is widely understood that the treaching of Mary being the Mother of God was advocated by St. Cyril of Alexandria, at the Council of Ephesus (431) - Does the Church acknowledge this teaching was not taught, or held by the Apostles and was a later developement by the early Church fathers?

Thank you and look forward to the discussion.

Mariology is the study of Mary.

For the two questions above: all generations will call her blessed, and the model of praising righteous believers in the Scriptures would allow me to answer "yes." See Sirach 44 and on and the "Hall of Fame" for faith in Hebrews. Christ also tells us what sort of life is praiseworthy so those who live it should be given that honor. Mary did this in excellence.

The teaching is not a development but was held by the Apostles, for they held that Jesus was the Second Person of the Trinity and had a human mother. Moreover St. Elizabeth says "what is it that the mother of my Lord should come to me?" in a passage mirroring when King David received the Ark, this is a confession of the divinity of Jesus and that Mary was His mother. Due to these two reasons (and probably others) it can not possibly be an innovation.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

For the two questions above: all generations will call her blessed, and the model of praising righteous believers in the Scriptures would allow me to answer "yes." See Sirach 44 and on and the "Hall of Fame" for faith in Hebrews. Christ also tells us what sort of life is praiseworthy so those who live it should be given that honor. Mary did this in excellence.

The teaching is not a development but was held by the Apostles, for they held that Jesus was the Second Person of the Trinity and had a human mother. Moreover St. Elizabeth says "what is it that the mother of my Lord should come to me?" in a passage mirroring when King David received the Ark, this is a confession of the divinity of Jesus and that Mary was His mother. Due to these two reasons (and probably others) it can not possibly be an innovation.
The term can also indicate invoking Mary, and this would not be in keeping with 2 Timothy 3.5.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Sorry are you referring to this Scripture:

Luke 1:39 •In those days Mary got up and went hurriedly into the hill country, to a town of Judah, 1:40 and entered •Zechariah’s house and greeted Elizabeth. 1:41 ••When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 1:42 She exclaimed with a loud voice••, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child in your womb! 1:43 And who am I •that the mother of my Lord should come and visit me? 1:44 For •the instant the sound of your greeting reached •my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 1:45 And blessed is she who believed that what was spoken to her by the Lord would be fulfilled.”

Exactly where is the confession of the divinity of Jesus?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The term can also indicate invoking Mary, and this would not be in keeping with 2 Timothy 3.5.

Invoking Mary?

How does 2 Timothy 3:5 teach people about invoking Mary?

2 Tim 3:5 They will maintain the outward appearance of religion but will have repudiated its power. So avoid people like these.

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry are you referring to this Scripture:

Luke 1:39 •In those days Mary got up and went hurriedly into the hill country, to a town of Judah, 1:40 and entered •Zechariah’s house and greeted Elizabeth. 1:41 ••When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 1:42 She exclaimed with a loud voice••, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child in your womb! 1:43 And who am I •that the mother of my Lord should come and visit me? 1:44 For •the instant the sound of your greeting reached •my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 1:45 And blessed is she who believed that what was spoken to her by the Lord would be fulfilled.”

Yes. It's parallel to various OT passages concerning the Ark of the Covenant. For instance the Greek word used for St. Elizabeth's rejoicing being the same as the one in the OT which only referred to rejoicing before the Ark, and so on.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes. It's parallel to various OT passages concerning the Ark of the Covenant. For instance the Greek word used for St. Elizabeth's rejoicing being the same as the one in the OT which only referred to rejoicing before the Ark, and so on.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I know it's a log time ago but I answered that in post #6 when I said:
In Lk 1:43 Elizabeth says (while “filled with the Holy Spirit”) And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord (kuriou) should come to me? Several times in chapter 1 Luke uses kurios for God (indeed Mary herself does in verse 38). So Elizabeth calling Mary The mother of my Lord is calling her the mother of my God.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The evidence is clear in the scriptures but you choose to believe your theories....and so, just as men before you who have done the same, your vision is disabled.

Then present this evidence.

Until then you are just presenting your unsubstantiated opinions.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Mungo

Not the whole of Christianity only those who hold to the doctrine of the Trinity. I sincerely appreciate your honesty and willingness to answer my questions, it’s been refreshing to have this amicable discussion.

If you discovered that Mary went on to have other children with Joseph how would this affect your faith and confidence in the Church?

Would that knowledge alone cause you to reconsider being a Catholic, or would it need to be as you said, Jesus not being God to cause you to reconsider your faith? I am interested to know whether you would have a Nicodemus type moment, or would you remain in the Church regardless of their error?

F2F

Playing what ifs is pointless. I believe that Jesus promised his Church would not teach error. So such speculation is a waste of time.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Then present this evidence.

Until then you are just presenting your unsubstantiated opinions.
If you knew the scriptures you wouldn’t ask a question of this nature.

Your assumptions about my opinions are in error even if I say nothing yet you assume my silence on the matter is a reason to make your charges.
I recall those who who arraigned Jesus pursued a similar tactic.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Definition of Mariology

: study or doctrine relating to the Virgin Mary

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Definition of Mariology

: study or doctrine relating to the Virgin Mary
It is clear she wasn’t a virgin for long after Jesus was born yet certain men with foreign ideas feel they can make mileage for their theories by tacking the word ‘virgin’ to her name as if it were perpetual.

Anybody who knows the scriptures will not fall for that ruse.

Reactions: MatthewG

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Playing what ifs is pointless. I believe that Jesus promised his Church would not teach error. So such speculation is a waste of time.

It’s the honour of Kings to search out a matter. Your statement doesnt align with the Apostles who made it very clear error would enter the body of Christ.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Quietthinker,

Just looked up the word according to Websters Dictionary.

It is not something that means very much to me personally.

Thank you for your comment.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you knew the scriptures you wouldn’t ask a question of this nature.

Your assumptions about my opinions are in error even if I say nothing yet you assume my silence on the matter is a reason to make your charges.
I recall those who who arraigned Jesus pursued a similar tactic.

More unsubstantiated opinions.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is clear she wasn’t a virgin for long after Jesus was born yet certain men with foreign ideas feel they can make mileage for their theories by tacking the word ‘virgin’ to her name as if it were perpetual.

Anybody who knows the scriptures will not fall for that ruse.

And yet more unsubstantiated opinions.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It’s the honour of Kings to search out a matter. Your statement doesnt align with the Apostles who made it very clear error would enter the body of Christ.

And error certainly has as evidenced by the tens of thousands of ever splintering Protestants denominations and sects.