What Is Marriage?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
*Pictures the scene unfolding in my head*

Adam and Eve: Getting jinky with it.

God: -__- Can you guys please take that somewhere else? I really don't want to watch that. It's something that can't be unseen. :eek:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If simply an act of sex makes people married then how can all these people who are single and having sex with each other not be married to each other in the eyes of God.

They are not married in the eyes of God if they do not stay together.
If they stay together, they are married in the eyes of God.
How do you think people got married in the OT???

Before we get too far along here....do not take my "ribbing" to seriously....I am using you as an example
You are the typical response I was expecting....and I wanted April to see what she was getting into.
So many like you. No interest in the truth or what the Bible is actually talking about...just a scenario that you have developed in your mind. That is called a fantasy. Is it fun?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
*Pictures the scene unfolding in my head*

Adam and Eve: Getting jinky with it.

God: -__- Can you guys please take that somewhere else? I really don't want to watch that. It's something that can't be unseen. :eek:

Well ya! But if you think that was wild! What do you think it look like when God impregnated Mary?
Did he use a magic wand?....Hokie dokie! Now I poke' Ye!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well ya! But if you think that was wild! What do you think it look like when God impregnated Mary?
Did he use a magic wand?....Hokie dokie! Now I poke' Ye!

Umm,.. God didn't physically have sex with Mary. :/

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Umm,.. God didn't physically have sex with Mary. :/

He didn't? Is there another way? Does the Bible describe the other way? The belief that Christ was actually the begotten Son of
God is actually a significant part of the story. What does begotten mean? You ask people, if it did not happen more or less normally, then how did it happen. No telling what answer you are going to get....but guaranteed it will not be biblical.

Behold, you will conceive in your womb, and bring forth a son, and will call his name Jesus.
The angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; for that reason also the holy Child will be called the Son of God.

Because people think that sex is dirty, nasty, and sinful, they do not think that it could have happened more or less normally. But there is no biblical evidence that it did not happen normally...Begotten Son...conceived....impregnation....gestation ..... Christ did not just immediately pop out. The notion that sex is so dirty, nasty, and sinful was so prevalent that they did not want to believe that Christ even toughed the birth canal. Oh that would be dirty! So they promoted the belief that Mary was a virgin before, during and after the birth of Christ. And started referring to her as "the Virgin Mary" when this phrase does not occur in the Bible.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it is the verse we are discussing. What part of it are you interested in?

All of it. Nowhere in there does it say that God had sex with Mary. The Holy Spirit came upon her and she was able to conceive. Otherwise Jesus would have been born the old fashioned way and not have fulfilled the prophecy that told of the Savior of all mankind being born from a virgin.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of it. Nowhere in there does it say that God had sex with Mary. The Holy Spirit came upon her and she was able to conceive. Otherwise Jesus would have been born the old fashioned way and not have fulfilled the prophecy that told of the Savior of all mankind being born from a virgin.

No it does not. List the ways a woman conceives and becomes pregnant and has a baby. List the ways it could have happened. I am game.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grailhunter said:
What do you think made them man and wife? [/Quote\]

Matthew 19:4,5 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female
And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Here in Genesis 2: 23 Adam is saying that this is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh, not because he had sex with Eve but because God had taken a rib from Adam and made a woman.
Then God says at Genesis 2:24 says: Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. God calls Eve Adams wife and there was no sex involved.
Also at the time that Mary who was Jesus mother she and her husband were married but had no sex until after Jesus was born but still Joseph and Mary were husband and wife even before they had sex.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just told you but you aren't listening! :rolleyes:

I am...I can read. You said, Nowhere in there does it say that God had sex with Mary.

And I am saying that nowhere in there does it say He did not. All the normal conditions are set. So you can describe the unnormal way that Mary was impregnated. Other than that, the scripture tells us who was involved....It was not Bob up the street. I am asking how you envision this happening

the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.----sound like a description of the missionary position----and there is going to be a birth and He will be called the Son of God.
Conception is caused by seed cast in a womb. If you have another description of how conception happens...let me know.

It is not like God cannot cause a woman to conceive. Elizabeth conceived and bore John the Baptist...But I do not think that John the Baptist was the son of God. Obviously there was a difference.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not like God cannot cause a woman to conceive. Elizabeth conceived and bore John the Baptist...But I do not think that John the Baptist was the son of God. Obviously there was a difference.

Yes God can cause a woman to conceive because God can do anything and everything,.. no John obviously wasn't the Son of God because Elizabeth and her husband had sex and she got pregnant the usual way.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes God can cause a woman to conceive because God can do anything and everything,.. no John obviously wasn't the Son of God because Elizabeth and her husband had sex and she got pregnant the usual way.

Does it say that Elizabeth and her husband had sex? Elizabeth was barren and old. Does it say that Abraham and Sarah had sex?
God was doing something there.
Again, tell me how you think Mary was impregnated by God.
Was it a zap...?

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, tell me how you think Mary was impregnated by God.
Was it a zap...?

Does it really matter? I don't think it's all that important how Jesus came into the world just the fact that He did.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does it really matter? I don't think it's all that important how Jesus came into the world just the fact that He did.

I guarantee you that it matters to somebody. Because the tradition has change the pretext to the point that Christ cannot be the Son of God. The whole Father and Son relationship is significantly important to the storyline. It is not about a God and a creation. God so loved the world that He gave his only Messiah-God creation. A created God...not a Son. The Son of Man and the Son of God is connected to this concept...God in human form. Otherwise He could have appeared on a mountain top

The motivation for this wrong thinking caused the most horrific atrocities in history...atrocities committed by the Church.