1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Is Marriage?

Discussion in 'Christian Debate Forum' started by April_Rose, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Michael1985

Michael1985 Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    My own belief is that sex marriage. As for my opinion on whether Scripture allows sex outside of wedlock, I say technically, yes. I've hunted the Bible up and down and ultimately come to the position that waiting until marriage to have sex is simply assumed as a societal convention much like men having a beard. I do, however, believe that any couples that choose not to wait are to get married as soon as possible afterwards to prevent any possible problems.

April_Rose likes this.
  2. charity

charity Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    Hi April_Rose,

Marriage is a commitment, made under law, between two people to love and respect one another. To watch each other's back, and be there for each other during the bad times as well as the good.

Thank you
    In Christ Jesus
    Chris

3. Josho

Josho Millennial Christian Staff Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Australia
    Oh that is definitely a thing I think they should change about the Catholic Church, priests should be able to get married.

April_Rose and Devin Wintch like this.
  4. Tone

Tone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Revelation 19:7-8
    "Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. "

Yeah, your post seems to cover what prepares us for the marriage to come.

5. Renniks

Renniks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Still, lots of people get to that point and part ways.

6. April_Rose

April_Rose Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

I'm pretty sure that Adam and Eve didn't have a typical wedding ceremony.

Okay I stand corrected then but I was pretty close XD

Yeah, I agree but maybe they feel like they wouldn't be as committed to God if they had a spouse and family. (I say spouse because I do believe that all Catholic priests are men but I'm not sure though. :confused:)

Devin Wintch likes this.
  7. Devin Wintch

Devin Wintch Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Catholics are going off of Paul's teachings and feel that they don't need a spouse to be a servant of God, which Paul makes this clear, but I tend to disagree with even this scripture, I mean that would mean the end of the human species?

1 Corinthians 7:1-6

7 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 I say this as a concession, not as a command.

April_Rose likes this.
  8. April_Rose

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Maybe for some people it's better if they don't reproduce if ya know what I mean.

Devin Wintch likes this.
  9. Grailhunter

Grailhunter Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    At some point Christianity made Paul's letter to churches....scripture. He never said He was writing scripture. lol
    Then what we have are one sided conversations because in some cases or most, he is responding to a letter from the churches.
    In this case....“It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” This is a question or statement from the church in Corinth...to Paul. And he is responding to it.

10. BARNEY BRIGHT

BARNEY BRIGHT Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    April_Rose said: I'm pretty sure that Adam and Eve didn't have a typical wedding ceremony.[/Quote\]

Well I never said that they had a typical wedding. I said that as far as what's written down in scripture you'll find nowhere in scripture that Adam and Eve had sex until after they were expelled from Eden. People who have sex before they're married is an act of sexual immorality.

11. April_Rose

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

True, but with Adam and Eve it was pretty much an arranged marriage. I mean they were the only two people on earth.

Devin Wintch likes this.
  12. BARNEY BRIGHT

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Arranged marriages were happening in humanity for thousands of years. It's only until the late 1800's and early 1900's that arranged marriages started disappearing.

13. April_Rose

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

Even countries like the US though?

14. BARNEY BRIGHT

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    April_Rose said: "If God didn't want us to have an imagination, then He wouldn't have given it to us in the first place." -April_Rose

God gave us freewill too but that doesn't mean he gave us free will to abuse that free will. This is true also of our imagination. God didn't give us a brain to focus or imagine horrible, perverted things. That's an abuse of your imagination, abuse of your thoughts. We will have a thought that's wrong come into our minds but that doesn't mean we have to dwell on those thoughts.

April_Rose likes this.
  15. BARNEY BRIGHT

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    April_Rose said: Even countries like the US though?[/Quote\]

You think there have never been any arranged marriages in the U.S. how about I suggest you do some research on the subject.

16. Ronald Nolette

Ronald Nolette Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

Marriage according to the Bible is the act of intercourse. It is not a ceremony or license or ritual where vows are given. those simply authorize a man and woman to get married! The actual marriage takes place when the couple have sex!

So fornication is sex outside of marriage and two people become one flesh which is what marriage is!

April_Rose likes this.
  17. April_Rose

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

Even though that's an interesting way to look at it, wouldn't it actually be considered adultery though?

Devin Wintch likes this.
  18. Ronald Nolette

Ronald Nolette Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

Adultery is when you have sex with someone elses spouse. Technically if a man goes to bed with a woman who is "not married" yet, they still are bedding down someone elses spouse. However if they have not actually married, then it is illicit or illegal sex and not the specific sin of adultery.

April_Rose likes this.
  19. Devin Wintch

Devin Wintch Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Yes but the bible clearly spells out the sexually immoral as sinners. So that opens up other areas. Including prostitution, and sex outside of marriage according to Paul.

20. April_Rose

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

Hmm,.. interesting perspective.

21. April_Rose

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

Somebody has to be extremely lonely and desperate if they want to make a living by having sex. :/