What is "OSAS"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think so, at zero-dark-thirty in the morning.
Think of it as Jesus said, "I only do what I see the Father do, I only say what I hear the Father say"
He modeled for us how we are to live.
Ask him for divine encounters, He gives freely.
blessings
It was very early , that was the reference to "zero-dark -thirty in the morning.
Our faith is not a bunch of works that need to be completed for eternal life.
He only did what He saw the Father do, He only said what He heard the Father say.
From Constantine on through many "religions" we are erroneously taught we must jump through a bunch of religious hoops to be saved.
Jesus taught relationship.
blessings

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I referenced 1 cor 10 AND 11 but YES...I did mean 11 also. Thank you.

Paul says that whoever eats (bread) in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body of the Lord. THAT re-affirms what Jesus said when he said it IS his body.
No it does not

Because he did not say eat it to receive eternal life he said eat in remembrance of him
For you see EG one can't eat MERE BREAD in an unworthy manner. We can eat HIM in an unworthy manner, but not mere bread.
You can eat it till you’re overflowing. It still will not give you what Jesus promised in John 6. In fact that is Jesus point. Don’t work for food which perishes but food which ENDURES to ETERNAL LIFE

The bread and cup you take does not promise this.
At a Catholic mass when we remember Him and eat the bread we say those words; proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes again.
Yea. That is NOT the bread from John 6. The bread from John 6 is so we can eat and not die never hunger or thirst
I don't understand how your theory that since Paul didn't say that when we receive Him in the form of bread that we will have eternal life that Jesus didn't mean that when we receive him we will have eternal life. TO ME it seems you are suggesting since Paul DIDN'T reaffirm the exact words of Jesus in John 6 that His words had no meaning.

Thanks for your time...Mary
If you have the promise you will never hunger never thirst live forever and have eternal life

Then you have peace because your eternity is set

How you can think you eat to get this yet keep eating and even then you may not live forever makes no sense

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope

Because no one else told us that eating the communion will grant the one who eats eternal life. and assure that they will be raised on the last day..

Again, Study the passage, not what men tell you
Ummmm.....Jesus told us that eating Him would grant us eternal life and that we will be raised on the last day. He then showed us how to eat Him. It sounds like what He told you and showed you is not good enough for you. You want Paul or Mark or Peter to make it good enough for you. For the record, what HE said is good enough for me and my ilk.

Sooooo I have made it VERY CLEAR what man taught me this. Are you ever going to make it clear what man taught you that when we read Scripture (the Word of God) we are eating Him? What man taught you that Matthew 6:11 means that we are asking God to give us our daily Scripture reading?

I mean this sincerely. It's not a gotcha question or I'm trying to prove you wrong question: I have done scholargoogle.com searches for the history of that teaching and can't find when that teaching (interpretation of Scripture) started. Do you know who first taught it?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you have the promise you will never hunger never thirst live forever and have eternal life

Then you have peace because your eternity is set

How you can think you eat to get this yet keep eating and even then you may not live forever makes no sense
OK.....I will accept your interpretation of The Bread of Life Discourse in John 6. If we chew on (read) Scripture we will never hunger, never thirst and we will have eternal life.

How often do you have to "chew on Scripture" to have eternal life? Daily? Once a week? Monthly?

Mary

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is why He taught us relationship as required, NOT works, so these debates on how many good works are needed don't even start, and here, 2000+ years later it is still going on.
No wonder He wept.:(:cry:
blessings ( with sadness)

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is my experience that you shall rarely encounter a Roman Catholic that will uphold a teaching not approved by their church.

The church is the arbiter between them and heaven or hell.
Are you talking about the church that is the pillar and foundation of truth? Yes, If you don't uphold the teaching of the pillar and foundation of truth, you don't uphold the truth.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is why He taught us relationship as required, NOT works, so these debates on how many good works are needed don't even start, and here, 2000+ years later it is still going on.
No wonder He wept.:(:cry:
blessings ( with sadness)
He weeps because some teach that works are not necessary when He says they are. For you see a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

• Sad
Reactions: Shittim

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No it does not

Because he did not say eat it to receive eternal life he said eat in remembrance of him
EG...I get it. Thirty years later Paul didn't repeat word for word what Jesus said in John 6! You are not equating the two different events.

HOWEVER, if we do what Paul AND Jesus said, eat in remembrance of Him, we will have eternal life. If we believe what Paul said, eating in an unworthy manner is a sin, we will have eternal life.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can eat it till you’re overflowing. It still will not give you what Jesus promised in John 6. In fact that is Jesus point. Don’t work for food which perishes but food which ENDURES to ETERNAL LIFE
I have NEVER contested that so, WE AGREE...Hooray!!

We can eat the bread until we are overflowing. It still will not give us what Jesus promised in John 6.

In your interpretation of John 6 WHAT is the food that doesn't perish but gives eternal life?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was very early , that was the reference to "zero-dark -thirty in the morning.

Jesus taught relationship.
blessings
No, It wasn't and ISN'T clear...but I digress.

Jesus taught more than relationships....but I digress

• Sad

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
EG, I did not in this conversation with you or any conversation on this forum say that we only have to do ONE thing to have eternal life. I have NEVER said that. There was no change of view.

I believe and Scripture teaches that we must do ALL of what Jesus and the Apostles taught. ONE of the things we must do is eat/drink His body/blood to have eternal life. Scripture also says that we must be baptized, proclaim with our mouth, keep the commandments, do good works etc etc. to obtain salvation. Scripture NEVER says if you do this ONE thing you will have eternal life.
No but you posted a verse where Jesus said if we do this thing we will never die
The bread that the children of Israel ate was mere bread. The bread He gave us (which is Him) is not mere bread; just like Jesus and Paul said.
Your right whoever eats the bread he gives will never hunger never thirst live forever be raised have eternal life and will be raised on the last day

The manna he fed died so we had to keep eating it

It’s like in John 4 where Jesus asked the woman at the well. If you would ask he will give you living water flowing to eternal
Life (you will never thirst again)
Did you know that the Israelites kept manna in The Ark of the Covenant? Why did they do that EG?
Because it proved to god their sin. Just like the ten commands proved their guilt and Arron’s rod proved their unbelief.

Did you know when the high priest puts blood on that mercy seat. All of the guilt of Israel is covered. And atoned by blood. Did you know that’s what Christ did on the cross? Only his was a better sacrificed he died once and sits by the right hand if God as our high priest.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes EG, Catholics think, the 1st century Christians practiced, and Scripture says that we are to eat/drink in remembrance of Him (just like He told us too) and we do that often just like they did in Acts 2:46. There is NO restriction in Scripture how often to do it HOWEVER in Acts 2:46 says they did it daily. The larger Catholic churches offer DAILY mass so that we can do what the 1st century Christians did. Does your church offer you daily bread spoken of in Matthew 6:11?

Yes, Scripture and The Church makes no assurances that just because we participate in the Lords Supper on a daily basis, we are not assured eternal salvation.

Mary
Well jesus said in John 6 we have that assurance. He said we will never die we will live forever. We will never hunger or thirst

If that is not assurance I do not know what is

So do I listen to Jesus or some church that think they know better?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can give the evidence of your allegation against @BreadOfLife OR you can apoligize.....It's that simple. I have yet to see your evidence, so I hope to see an apology.....You know, like a Christian would do.

But instead of admitting you are in error you are going to get mad at me and put me on the ignore list.....:( I guarantee it.

I have admitted my errors on this forum when they were pointed out to me......Soooo you can take your false comment back and apologize OR you can continue to lie.

Keeping it real....Mary
I gave you the evidence you ignored it

Bread of life said we are saved THROUGH Christ church (the Catholic Church)

If you want me to prove it again so you can ignore it again let me know

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummmm.....Jesus told us that eating Him would grant us eternal life and that we will be raised on the last day.
Then why don’t you believe him?
He then showed us how to eat Him.
Yes he did it is the spirit that gives life the words I speak are spirit and life. Ie whoever sees and believes has eternal life
It sounds like what He told you and showed you is not good enough for you. You want Paul or Mark or Peter to make it good enough for you. For the record, what HE said is good enough for me and my ilk.
Lol. You could show me easily by showing me whoever eats and drinks the Eucharist mass will never die and has eternal life

You can’t show
Me that so for that reason I must reject what you want me to see
Sooooo I have made it VERY CLEAR what man taught me this. Are you ever going to make it clear what man taught you that when we read Scripture (the Word of God) we are eating Him? What man taught you that Matthew 6:11 means that we are asking God to give us our daily Scripture reading?

I mean this sincerely. It's not a gotcha question or I'm trying to prove you wrong question: I have done scholargoogle.com searches for the history of that teaching and can't find when that teaching (interpretation of Scripture) started. Do you know who first taught it?

Mary
Yeah I know who taught it. Jesus

Whoever eats will never hunger never thirst live forever never die. Has eternal life and will never be lost

You (your church$. Claims this is not true

I must go with Jesus not
Men

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK.....I will accept your interpretation of The Bread of Life Discourse in John 6. If we chew on (read) Scripture we will never hunger, never thirst and we will have eternal life.

How often do you have to "chew on Scripture" to have eternal life? Daily? Once a week? Monthly?

Mary
If you do something and because you do it you will never die (think you took a miracle drug that heals you completely and because of it you will live forever)

How often do you have to do it in order to stay alive. If you already will never die? Why would you continue to eat it when you do not have to? And worse. Why do you not believe it will give you eternal Life?

See the issue?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
EG...I get it. Thirty years later Paul didn't repeat word for word what Jesus said in John 6! You are not equating the two different events.
Paul
Did not repeat word for word. Lol

Paul did not say eat and you will not die. Neither did Jesus at the last supper

HOWEVER, if we do what Paul AND Jesus said, eat in remembrance of Him, we will have eternal life. If we believe what Paul said, eating in an unworthy manner is a sin, we will have eternal life.

Mary
If you have eternal life you don’t have to keep doing it. You do it because you do not yet have eternal life.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have NEVER contested that so, WE AGREE...Hooray!!

We can eat the bread until we are overflowing. It still will not give us what Jesus promised in John 6.
No but if you eat the bread if John 6 you will get what he promised

Why can’t you see the difference? I am honestly asking
In your interpretation of John 6 WHAT is the food that doesn't perish but gives eternal life?

Mary
What is the food?

What did Peter say?

You have the “words of eternal life”

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lol. Are you that dense?

If works are required to be true faith, THEN YOUR ADDING WORKS.
WRONG.

I didn’t create these works. God prepared them in advance for me to complete (Eph. 2:10). They’re not MY works so I have no reason to boast.

Yes. The LOVE OF CHRIST.. Not our love..

It is our faith in Gods love that saves us, not works..
WRONG again.

The same Paul who wrote this verse (Gal. 5:6) also wrote the following:
1 Cor. 13:2

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

I must give love - or my faith is worthless.

Obedience of faith

Hove you looked up to the cross. and received his gift of eternal life?
If you have, you have been obedient to faith

if you have not. Then your still in unbelief (disobedient)

Don't say your not adding works. then all you talk about is works..
The Bible repeatedly warns against the false Protestant invention of OSAS,

The Scriptures make it crystal clear that a born-again person can LOSE his secure position by his OWN doing . . .

(Matt. 7:19-23, Matt. 10:22, Matt. 24:13, Matt. 25:31–46, John 15:1-6, Rom. 11:22, 1 Cor. 4:4, 1 Cor. 9:27, 1 Cor. 10:12, 1 Tim. 4:1, 1 Tim. 4:16, 2 Tim. 2:12, Heb. 3:6, Heb. 3:12-14, Heb. 6:4-6, Heb. 10:26-27, 2 Pet. 2:20-21, 2 Pet. 3:17, 1 John 2:24, 1 John 5:13, Rev. 3:5, Rev. 22:19)

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet you can not even repent when you are caught in a lie..
That’s because I’ve never lied on this forum.
And your doctrines do not match up with what the apostles taught..
They match up with everything the Apostles were taught by Christ – which is more than I can say for Protestant heresies like Sola Scriptura and Sola Finde . . .

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
She? lol. You can't even get that right

And you still have not admitted you were wrong when you falsley accused me.

Its ok. I have learned along time ago. I do not expect you to admit error. Like you think your church is, you have no error.
Is this a Catholic bashing thread?

Looks like it, from reading posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.