What Is Preterism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Preterism is looked at through the window of Matthew chapter 24 and the Olivet discourse, in relationship to the three items below

(Partial Preterist) believe 1 or 2 of the events below have been fulfilled

(Full Preterist) believe all of the 3 events below have been fulfilled

(Futurist) believe none of the 3 events below have been fulfilled

1.) Matthew 24:15 Daniel's AOD
2.) Matthew 24:21 The Great Tribulation
3.) Matthew 24:30 The Second Coming

Wikipedia: Preterism
A Christian eschatological view, interprets some (partial preterism) or all (full preterism) prophecies of the Bible as events which have already happened. This school of thought interprets the Book of Daniel as referring to events that happened from the 7th century BC until the first century AD, while seeing the prophecies of the Book of Revelation as events that happened in the first century AD. Preterism holds that Ancient Israel finds its continuation or fulfillment in the Christian church at the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70.

The term preterism comes from the Latin praeter, which is a prefix denoting that something is "past" or "beyond".[1] Adherents of preterism are known as preterists. Preterism teaches that either all (full preterism) or a majority (partial preterism) of the Olivet discourse had come to pass by AD 70.

Historically, preterists and non-preterists have generally agreed that the Jesuit Luis de Alcasar (1554–1613) wrote the first systematic preterist exposition of prophecy Vestigatio arcani sensus in Apocalypsi (published in 1614) during the Counter-Reformation.

In the preterist view, the Tribulation took place in the past when Roman legions destroyed Jerusalem and its temple in AD 70 during the end stages of the First Jewish–Roman War, and it affected only the Jewish people rather than all mankind.

Christian preterists believe that the Tribulation was a divine judgment visited upon the Jews for their sins, including rejection of Jesus as the promised Messiah. It occurred entirely in the past, around 70 AD when the armed forces of the Roman Empire destroyed Jerusalem and its temple.

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Preterism is looked at through the window of Matthew chapter 24 and the Olivet discourse, in relationship to the three items below

There are different sorts of partial preterists, the kind I am learning about and will likely align myself with holds all of Matthew 24 is fulfilled.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are different sorts of partial preterists, the kind I am learning about and will likely align myself with holds all of Matthew 24 is fulfilled.
Do you believe in a future second coming of Jesus Christ and resurrection?

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe in a future second coming of Jesus Christ and resurrection?

Yes, by colloquial terms at least. The "second coming" in Matthew 24 was a coming in judgment ending the Mosaic Age finally and not the Second Coming people usually mean. The only things I believe are in the future are the things mentioned as being in the future by the historic Creeds, I'll take the Nicene one for example: "And He shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead: of Whose kingdom there shall be no end... And I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen."

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, by colloquial terms at least. The "second coming" in Matthew 24 was a coming in judgment ending the Mosaic Age finally and not the Second Coming people usually mean. The only things I believe are in the future are the things mentioned as being in the future by the historic Creeds, I'll take the Nicene one for example: "And He shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead: of Whose kingdom there shall be no end... And I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen."
You are partial preterist, you believe in a future second coming, full Preterist dont

Your belief appears to be the standard reformed eschatology in partial preterism

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amazing, new member with like 2 post, and your jumping right into eschatology in preterism "full speed ahead", Smiles!

One of the greatest errors and deception seen in Preterism, is denial of the literal second coming seen below in Matthew 24:30, creating a false platform for 70AD fulfillment in Matthew chapter 24

One thing I understand is, the literal second coming of Jesus Christ, and human eyes on earth watching, is seen in the scripture below

Preterist remove the second coming seen, through symbolic allegory (Judgement On Jerusalem) because it conflicts with 70AD fulfillment, because Jesus Christ didnt literallyreturn in 70AD

"The Preterist Motto", if it dosent fit 70AD fulfillment, remove it through symbolic allegory

Matthew24:30KJV
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Revelation 1:7KJV
Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Last edited:

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amazing, new member with like 2 post, and your jumping right into eschatology in preterism "full speed ahead", Smiles!

One of the greatest errors and deception seen in Preterism, is denial of the literal second coming seen below in Matthew 24:30, creating a false platform for 70AD fulfillment in Matthew chapter 24

One thing I understand is, the literal second coming of Jesus Christ, and human eyes on earth watching, is seen in the scripture below

Preterist remove the second coming seen, through symbolic allegory (Judgement On Jerusalem) because it conflicts with 70AD fulfillment, because Jesus Christ didnt literallyreturn in 70AD

"The Preterist Motto", if it dosent fit 70AD fulfillment, remove it through symbolic allegory

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

I am really getting into eschatology of late, it is fascinating to behold. For full prets that may be, but partials that I know (categorized into Modern Preterists, for some older partial preterists may see Matthew 24 as partially fulfilled, most modern ones see it as entirely) just do not see Matthew 24 as referring to that Second Coming I quoted from the Creed. While I confess that Jesus will Judge the living and dead (and all will see it, moreover all will likely see every deed everyone else has done for "all in dark will be revealed," it'll be quite dramatic) Matthew 24 is not that judgment. I think they have a good basis for this by comparing the judgments of God in the OT to Matthew 24 (LEB translation used for all passages):

Matthew 24 [potentially Judgment of Jerusalem]: "And immediately after the tribulation of those days, ‘the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of heaven will be shaken.’ And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man arriving on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."

Isaiah 19 [judgment on Egypt]: "This is an oracle about Egypt: Look, the Lord rides on a swift-moving cloud and approaches Egypt. The idols of Egypt tremble before him; the Egyptians lose their courage."

2 Samuel 22 [David sings of God delivering him from Saul, so judgment on Saul's kingdom here]: "The earth heaved and shook, the foundations of heaven trembled and heaved because he was angry. Smoke went up from his nostrils and fire from his mouth. Burning coals devoured, they burned from him. He bowed the heavens and came down; a very thick cloud was under his feet. He rode upon a cherub and flew; he was seen on the wings of the wind. He put darkness as a canopy all around him, a collection of thick rain clouds. From the brightness before him flamed burning coals of fire. Yahweh thundered from heaven, and the Most High uttered his voice. He sent arrows and he scattered them, lightning, and he directed them. Then the channels of water of the sea were exposed, the foundations of the world, at the rebuke of Yawheh, from the blast of the breath of his nostrils. He sent from a high position and took me; he drew me from mighty waters. He delivered me from my strong enemies, from those who hate me, for they were mightier than I."

Isaiah 13 [judgment on Babylon]: "Wail, for the day of Yahweh is near; it will come like destruction from Shaddai! Therefore all hands will grow slack, and every human heart will melt, and they will be dismayed. Pangs and labor pains will seize them; they will tremble like a woman giving birth. They will stare at one another, their faces flushing. Look! The day of Yahweh is coming, cruel and wrath and the burning of anger, to make the earth a desolation, and he will destroy its sinners from it. For the stars of the heavens and their constellations will not flash forth their light; the sun will keep back when it comes out, and the moon will not cause its light to shine. And I will punish the world for its evil and the wicked for their iniquity. And I will put an end to the pride of the arrogant, and I will bring the haughtiness of tyrants low."

There are more examples but these judgments were historically fulfilled, and they seem very similar to what Jesus is saying in Matthew 24, so it makes good sense to me to say that this is not referring to the Grand Second Coming referred to in the Creed, but just to what happened at Jerusalem (which was utterly unique for wiping off the Temple and signaling to all the New Testament).

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am really getting into eschatology of late, it is fascinating to behold. For full prets that may be, but partials that I know (categorized into Modern Preterists, for some older partial preterists may see Matthew 24 as partially fulfilled, most modern ones see it as entirely) just do not see Matthew 24 as referring to that Second Coming I quoted from the Creed. While I confess that Jesus will Judge the living and dead (and all will see it, moreover all will likely see every deed everyone else has done for "all in dark will be revealed," it'll be quite dramatic) Matthew 24 is not that judgment. I think they have a good basis for this by comparing the judgments of God in the OT to Matthew 24 (LEB translation used for all passages):

Matthew 24 [potentially Judgment of Jerusalem]: "And immediately after the tribulation of those days, ‘the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of heaven will be shaken.’ And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man arriving on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."

Isaiah 19 [judgment on Egypt]: "This is an oracle about Egypt: Look, the Lord rides on a swift-moving cloud and approaches Egypt. The idols of Egypt tremble before him; the Egyptians lose their courage."

2 Samuel 22 [David sings of God delivering him from Saul, so judgment on Saul's kingdom here]: "The earth heaved and shook, the foundations of heaven trembled and heaved because he was angry. Smoke went up from his nostrils and fire from his mouth. Burning coals devoured, they burned from him. He bowed the heavens and came down; a very thick cloud was under his feet. He rode upon a cherub and flew; he was seen on the wings of the wind. He put darkness as a canopy all around him, a collection of thick rain clouds. From the brightness before him flamed burning coals of fire. Yahweh thundered from heaven, and the Most High uttered his voice. He sent arrows and he scattered them, lightning, and he directed them. Then the channels of water of the sea were exposed, the foundations of the world, at the rebuke of Yawheh, from the blast of the breath of his nostrils. He sent from a high position and took me; he drew me from mighty waters. He delivered me from my strong enemies, from those who hate me, for they were mightier than I."

Isaiah 13 [judgment on Babylon]: "Wail, for the day of Yahweh is near; it will come like destruction from Shaddai! Therefore all hands will grow slack, and every human heart will melt, and they will be dismayed. Pangs and labor pains will seize them; they will tremble like a woman giving birth. They will stare at one another, their faces flushing. Look! The day of Yahweh is coming, cruel and wrath and the burning of anger, to make the earth a desolation, and he will destroy its sinners from it. For the stars of the heavens and their constellations will not flash forth their light; the sun will keep back when it comes out, and the moon will not cause its light to shine. And I will punish the world for its evil and the wicked for their iniquity. And I will put an end to the pride of the arrogant, and I will bring the haughtiness of tyrants low."

There are more examples but these judgments were historically fulfilled, and they seem very similar to what Jesus is saying in Matthew 24, so it makes good sense to me to say that this is not referring to the Grand Second Coming referred to in the Creed, but just to what happened at Jerusalem (which was utterly unique for wiping off the Temple and signaling to all the New Testament).
Thanks for the response, I would admonish your acknowledgement of the "Literal" second coming seen below, also the resurrection seen in the Angel's gathering

31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Last edited:

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

So if I understand the central point here (focusing on Matthew 24 as I am studying the Gospel of Matthew daily currently), is that because it says "all... shall see" in 30 that it means all must see actually or else it was not fulfilled? Then what of prophecies like the ones quoted above where it mentions many things being seen or known by all but are even still not known by all? Unless you mean that the fulfillment of those OT prophecies only happens at the Last Day? Like the end of Ezekiel 20 and the beginning of Ezekiel 21 for instance, which then goes to say

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if I understand the central point here (focusing on Matthew 24 as I am studying the Gospel of Matthew daily currently), is that because it says "all... shall see" in 30 that it means all must see actually or else it was not fulfilled? Then what of prophecies like the ones quoted above where it mentions many things being seen or known by all but are even still not known by all? Unless you mean that the fulfillment of those OT prophecies only happens at the Last Day? Like the end of Ezekiel 20 and the beginning of Ezekiel 21 for instance, which then goes to say
The entire chapter of Matthew 24 is devoted to the second coming and resurrection

Preterism claims the second coming isnt literal, but was a judgement upon Jerusalem

Its gonna take a whole lot of symbolic allegory, to answer the several times the second coming is seen

Preterisms claims are in a fairly tale never never land, once upon a time, far over the rainbow, upon the moon made of swiss cheese

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The entire chapter of Matthew 24 is devoted to the second coming and resurrection

Preterism claims the second coming isnt literal, but was a judgement upon Jerusalem

Its gonna take a whole lot of symbolic allegory, to answer the several times the second coming is seen

Preterisms claims are in a fairly stable never never land, once upon a time, far over the rainbow and moon that's swiss cheese

I thought the claim of many preterists was simply that Matthew 24 is not about the Second Coming (as defined in the Creed, the Resurrection of the Dead, Final Judgment, and World to Come, the totality of which is commonly called the "Second Coming"). I fail to understand how it is allegorizing and so on. I thought it compared the language of Matthew 24 to prophecies which were fulfilled in the OT. Based on this it seems justified (along studying Josephus and so on) to say it was fulfilled. The comparisons and exegesis seem justified for this chapter and parallel.

If I am missing something dire you can tell me, but so far I don't see it. I have only recently begun studying eschatology seriously so that is extremely likely right now.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Wikipedia: Preterism
A Christian eschatological view, interprets some (partial preterism) or all (full preterism) prophecies of the Bible as events which have already happened. This school of thought interprets the Book of Daniel as referring to events that happened from the 7th century BC until the first century AD, while seeing the prophecies of the Book of Revelation as events that happened in the first century AD. Preterism holds that Ancient Israel finds its continuation or fulfillment in the Christian church at the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70.

The term preterism comes from the Latin praeter, which is a prefix denoting that something is "past" or "beyond".[1] Adherents of preterism are known as preterists. Preterism teaches that either all (full preterism) or a majority (partial preterism) of the Olivet discourse had come to pass by AD 70.

Historically, preterists and non-preterists have generally agreed that the Jesuit Luis de Alcasar (1554–1613) wrote the first systematic preterist exposition of prophecy Vestigatio arcani sensus in Apocalypsi (published in 1614) during the Counter-Reformation.

In the preterist view, the Tribulation took place in the past when Roman legions destroyed Jerusalem and its temple in AD 70 during the end stages of the First Jewish–Roman War, and it affected only the Jewish people rather than all mankind.

Christian preterists believe that the Tribulation was a divine judgment visited upon the Jews for their sins, including rejection of Jesus as the promised Messiah. It occurred entirely in the past, around 70 AD when the armed forces of the Roman Empire destroyed Jerusalem and its temple.
You know what is interesting to me, T7t7, is that there is a completely ignored gap of time, and space, between the 2nd and 3rd verses of Matthew 24 that completely alter the meaning of the entire chapter.

Take a look.

Verse 1 & 2 take place just outside the Temple. Jesus exits the Temple and is confronted by His disciples wanting to show Him the buildings of the Temple. He then makes His famous statement prophesying the destruction of the Temple (and, in my opinion, a dual prophesy about all the disciples - as stones [1 Peter 2:5] - being thrown down). Note: this is the only mention, or discussion, whatsoever about the Temple itself.

Next, we jump approximately 3 kilometers, or 30 minutes by foot, from the Temple to the Mount of Olives and pick up in verse 3 without the slightest mention of the time gap. This is very convenient for those who claim this entire chapter is about the destruction of the Temple and the Tribulation having already taken place in 70 A.D.

Verse 3: "And as He sat upon the Mount of Olives, the disciples came unto Him privately (far from the busy Temple or any crowds), saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?" (Very clearly NOT about the Temple at all)
Matthew 24:3

How do Preterists reconcile these Facts with their claim that all of Matthew 24 describes an event that culminated in 70 A.D.?

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Verse 3: "And as He sat upon the Mount of Olives, the disciples came unto Him privately (far from the busy Temple or any crowds), saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?" (Very clearly NOT about the Temple at all)
Matthew 24:3

How do Preterists reconcile these Facts with their claim that all of Matthew 24 describes an event that culminated in 70 A.D.?

The word there is "aeon" or "age." The age of the Mosaic Law did in fact end.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word there is "aeon" or "age." The age of the Mosaic Law did in fact end.

This all just comes down to the difference between those who have studied their Bible diligently and those who have been taught what to believe about it by those who are corrupted.

It makes no logical sense at all that those who translated the King James Bible would use the word world in verse 3 and verse 14 of Matthew 24 meaning something totally different for both. An age, or time period, is not even similar to the world.

You've got a Catholic priest presenting the opinions of the church in that vid, and they haven't been known to support a whole lot of Biblical Truth over the centuries.

Also, verse 14 speaks of the Gospel being preached to the entire world before the end of the world (you say age). Absolutely impossible by 70 A.D.

And verse 22; every single person on the face of the earth would've been wiped out if God hadn't shortened the time of the destruction of the Temple? Poppy-cock!

T7t7 is right. The lengths Preterists have to go to in convincing themselves of their doctrine is not even sensible. It's all about deceiving Christians of the Truth of God's Word for the purpose of throwing off their expectations about what God has clearly warned His people about. No True Bible-believing, and studying, Christian would come to these conclusions on their own at all. They must be taught, and I say brainwashed, to believe these things, if they actually do believe them.

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This all just comes down to the difference between those who have studied their Bible diligently and those who have been taught what to believe about it by those who are corrupted.

It makes no logical sense at all that those who translated the King James Bible would use the word world in verse 3 and verse 14 of Matthew 24 meaning something totally different for both. An age, or time period, is not even similar to the world.

You've got a Catholic priest presenting the opinions of the church in that vid, and they haven't been known to support a whole lot of Biblical Truth over the centuries.

Also, verse 14 speaks of the Gospel being preached to the entire world before the end of the world (you say age). Absolutely impossible by 70 A.D.

And verse 22; every single person on the face of the earth would've been wiped out if God hadn't shortened the time of the destruction of the Temple? Poppy-cock!

T7t7 is right. The lengths Preterists have to go to in convincing themselves of their doctrine is not even sensible. It's all about deceiving Christians of the Truth of God's Word for the purpose of throwing off their expectations about what God has clearly warned His people about. No True Bible-believing, and studying, Christian would come to these conclusions on their own at all. They must be taught, and I say brainwashed, to believe these things, if they actually do believe them.

Paul claims 4 times that the gospel had reached the entire known world during his days

The shortened days to stop “all would be killed” were the ones inside Jerusalem during the siege it doesn’t say the face of the world. In all 1.1 million were killed and only 97000 survived if the siege had gone on a little longer no one would of survived God had chosen an elect to survive

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul claims 4 times that the gospel had reached the entire known world during his days
Go ahead and post all 4 verses I guess then. Let's take 'em apart one at a time.
The shortened days to stop “all would be killed” were the ones inside Jerusalem during the siege it doesn’t say the face of the world. In all 1.1 million were killed and only 97000 survived if the siege had gone on a little longer no one would of survived God had chosen an elect to survive
" ... except those days be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: ..."
Matthew 24:22

There was much more flesh in the world in 70 A.D. than just in Jerusalem.

And if you're seriously implying that the elect, known by God since before the Creation of the world, were simply those God chose to survive the destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D., I don't even know where to start with how ridiculous that is.

Preterists expect others to blindly accept assumptions they make because they say so. I believe what I believe because God says so. Period.

This is yet another example of minimizing God's Words, and highly important events, in scripture in an attempt to minimize the effects thereof. It doesn't work on those who put in the time to study The Word and have a healthy level of discernment. Only on those who are seeking an excuse to disobey and live like the world.

Believing hugely important events, that were warned about by God, are in our distant past simply allows lazy people to go about living how they want to live without any fear of judgment to come. I'm guessing all preterists are OSAS warriors as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: teamventure

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's an Orthodox priest, and he's presenting what he thinks the opinion of the Church is, which others would disagree on.

"Age" is translated as "world" a lot throughout history, and can mean different things. For instance one of it's definitions is "a particular period of history," such as "the medieval world." So yes it can be "age" and is similar to "world" (it is literally one of the definitions of it). On top of that I remind you this is a Greek text not an English text, what it means comes from Greek, we go back to that context to learn definitions.

Verse 14 uses a different word than verse 3. It uses "oikoumene." Look at Strong's which gives a historical context for what this world means:"(properly: the land that is being inhabited, the land in a state of habitation), the inhabited world, that is, the Roman world, for all outside it was regarded as of no account." That this word is used to mean the Roman Empire, or the known world (no one who uses this word in the Bible is including Australia, or the Americas, they did not even know it existed) is proven by many historical scholars and the Bible itself. Look at this, I'll even quote the KJV since you love it:

Luke: "And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world [oikoumenēn] should be taxed." Did he tax the Aboriginals? Yes or no?

Acts: "And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world [oikoumenēn]: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar." If you want to believe every single part of the Earth experienced this famine, I'll allow it. I think it clearly refers to the Roman Empire, but sure.

Acts again: "And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven." The Aboriginals are under Heaven for sure and God established their people as He does for all, but did the Jewish diaspora extend there? Under your view (unless you have a different definition of "nation under Heaven") I suppose some Jews were from Australia present here!

Romans: "First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world [kosmō]." Now cosmos certainly has a truly Universal (and I mean as in "the Universe") definition, but do you really think every single person in the Universe was speaking of the faith of the Church in Rome? Perhaps they were, perhaps... although it seems most likely St. Paul was more speaking of the known or inhabited world that he knew here, and praising them here.

And I'd like to remind you that if you think any prophecy is fulfilled then you are a preterist, it's just a matter of degree. I simply hold that Matthew 24 (and parallels) is fulfilled, why? Because of stuff like this. Every time I investigate the context of the words used or look at scholarship I only see how it can be fulfilled. Nothing else makes sense. You can bring your own views to bear though and show me where I'm wrong, but so far no one has.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's an Orthodox priest, and he's presenting what he thinks the opinion of the Church is, which others would disagree on.

"Age" is translated as "world" a lot throughout history, and can mean different things. For instance one of it's definitions is "a particular period of history," such as "the medieval world." So yes it can be "age" and is similar to "world" (it is literally one of the definitions of it). On top of that I remind you this is a Greek text not an English text, what it means comes from Greek, we go back to that context to learn definitions.

Verse 14 uses a different word than verse 3. It uses "oikoumene." Look at Strong's which gives a historical context for what this world means:"(properly: the land that is being inhabited, the land in a state of habitation), the inhabited world, that is, the Roman world, for all outside it was regarded as of no account." That this word is used to mean the Roman Empire, or the known world (no one who uses this word in the Bible is including Australia, or the Americas, they did not even know it existed) is proven by many historical scholars and the Bible itself. Look at this, I'll even quote the KJV since you love it:

Luke: "And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world [oikoumenēn] should be taxed." Did he tax the Aboriginals? Yes or no?

Acts: "And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world [oikoumenēn]: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar." If you want to believe every single part of the Earth experienced this famine, I'll allow it. I think it clearly refers to the Roman Empire, but sure.

Acts again: "And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven." The Aboriginals are under Heaven for sure and God established their people as He does for all, but did the Jewish diaspora extend there? Under your view (unless you have a different definition of "nation under Heaven") I suppose some Jews were from Australia present here!

Romans: "First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world [kosmō]." Now cosmos certainly has a truly Universal (and I mean as in "the Universe") definition, but do you really think every single person in the Universe was speaking of the faith of the Church in Rome? Perhaps they were, perhaps... although it seems most likely St. Paul was more speaking of the known or inhabited world that he knew here, and praising them here.

And I'd like to remind you that if you think any prophecy is fulfilled then you are a preterist, it's just a matter of degree. I simply hold that Matthew 24 (and parallels) is fulfilled, why? Because of stuff like this. Every time I investigate the context of the words used or look at scholarship I only see how it can be fulfilled. Nothing else makes sense. You can bring your own views to bear though and show me where I'm wrong, but so far no one has.
You are making one huge mistake, Abax, that is not at all uncommon for men (humans) to make.

The Bible was not written by fallible men, struggling to find the best words to convey their message, to those who lived among them at the time of their writing.

The Bible was written by Almighty God through those He chose based on their complete mental, spiritual and physical dedication to HIM and HIS cause. God wrote the Bible TO those who would come much later to inform His beloved of things that were critical for them to understand about history and all things to come. And God is not bound by time or language barriers. If God chose the word world, even in another language, by God, He meant world.

Your complex explanation of the issues with language, from the perspective of men living at that time, are admirable, but woefully inaccurate.

Until you, and those who constantly strive to explain away the Truth and accuracy of scripture, understand these Facts, you will never get a firm grasp on God or His Ways.

You are wrong and Preterism is a lie.

Reactions: teamventure