What is the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I AM .
So I must be one of the few having found the strait gate and narrow way also.

Sorry, you plan on NOT going. This speaks VERY LOUDLY TO ME ABOUT YOUR STATUS MR.GWIN.

After earth we will never meet again !

I will be worshipping & glorifying My God !!!!!
You worship and glorify your god here Ket, so for what purpose have you been called to reside in heaven?
Is it logical that one would be called to heaven, if they do not know why they were chosen? Don't get me wrong, I hope you get your desires, but the Bible educates us on why some among us are called to reside in heaven.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No sir, you said it correctly the first time, it is not possible for us to limit God the question you asked me, and that I answered. Although the version you posted stated that point blank, this is where examining other verses can help in understanding: Ps 78:41 And they turned again and tempted God, And provoked the Holy One of Israel.ASV
Ps 78:41 And they turned again and tempted ùGod, and grieved the Holy One of Israel. Darby
Ps 78:41 They turned again and tempted God, And provoked the Holy One of Israel. World English
(Psalm 78:41) . . .Again and again they put God to the test, And they grieved the Holy One of Israel. NWT

The meaning of the actual word your version translated limited:
hwt Tavah (taw-vaw'); Verb, Strong #: 8428
(Hiphil) to pain, wound, trouble, cause pain
meaning probable

I think you already know, man has no power over limiting God, but being a caring God of Love, He certainly can be hurt from our misconduct Amad.
Did not God give each man the power [choice] to sin or not during that man's allotted period of time? During that set time, does not man continue to have the ability to oppose God by sinning? Our opposition to Him, as I see it, limits God. God does not want us to choose to limit Him but all of us have done so. Many will do so until there is "time no longer".

While we have "time", God has allowed us to oppose Him, and while we choose to oppose Him, God is limited. We must clear the way by opening the door to our hearts [our choice or what men have called "free will" for Him to enter in and clean us and lead us in a better Way. The choice to open to Him or not remains ours until there is "time no longer"!

God has limited Himself by His own Word in giving the ability to choose God's Way or not:

Man has effectively only two choices: to serve God or not to serve Him.

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

Note: we might put in place of the word Amorites, many other things such as: money, Americans, Russians, pentecostals, baptists, Catholics (east or west), etc. Anything that takes precedence over God at any moment is a god to us.

Reactions: Azim

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Snarky & I thought beneath you.
Learning about the true nature of folks that live in the dark and come to the light to distort or destroy, whatever their father puts them up to.

Keep posting folks. Seeing is a lot but not everything.
Just simply relaying my happiness for you. To be called to heaven is such a privilege. I am not called, but don't feel sad for me, I am actually happy that I have not been called. No doubt you will be happy there, but I would imagine there will be a measure of sadness as well. If I were called, like you I would accept it, and do my best in the position I was given, but I am already accustomed to the earth, and we were created to live here, so our natural desire is here.

But both of us can count on one thing, whether we are called to heaven, or here on the earth in the coming paradise, that God is going to open His hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing, that has never been done since He put in in writing, so we can be confident that will be fulfilled. Ps 145:16

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did not God give each man the power [choice] to sin or not during that man's allotted period of time? During that set time, does not man continue to have the ability to oppose God by sinning? Our opposition to Him, as I see it, limits God. God does not want us to choose to limit Him but all of us have done so. Many will do so until there is "time no longer".

While we have "time", God has allowed us to oppose Him, and while we choose to oppose Him, God is limited. We must clear the way by opening the door to our hearts [our choice or what men have called "free will" for Him to enter in and clean us and lead us in a better Way. The choice to open to Him or not remains ours until there is "time no longer"!

God has limited Himself by His own Word in giving the ability to choose God's Way or not:

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

Note: we might put in place of the word Amorites, many other things such as: money, Americans, Russians, pentecostals, baptists, Catholics (east or west), etc. Anything that takes precedence over God at any moment is a god to us.

That is our choice alright. So Amad, do you find it evil to serve Jehovah sir? As for me and my household, like our dear brother Joshua, we are going to serve Jehovah. You do understand that if one chooses not to serve Him, by default their god is satan correct? Only two roads representing those two Gods.

Sure there is baal, ra, easter, bel, etc, but they are not real, only Jehovah and satan are, we will be judged as being with one or the other Amad.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is our choice alright. So Amad, do you find it evil to serve Jehovah sir? As for me and my household, like our dear brother Joshua, we are going to serve Jehovah. You do understand that if one chooses not to serve Him, by default their god is satan correct? Only two roads representing those two Gods.

Sure there is baal, ra, easter, bel, etc, but they are not real, only Jehovah and satan are, we will be judged as being with one or the other Amad.
Give God alone the glory, my friend!

• Love
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen to that Amad. But in line to the context of the topic, which God? Mat 4:10
If God has single correct name according to Him with what men call names according to Him, is it not possible to know Him before we come to know that name?

'In the name' without even knowing the name?

An atheist I once knew mentioned that there would probably not be so many atheists if there were not so many different religions, but only one. In a sense, I would agree with him.

The following verse is one that some say points out probably the most essential difference between Christianity and other religions:

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." Acts 4:12

So, what is that name, Jesus, right? Is it?

I believe that a person can be in the name without saying the name or even without knowing the name in his carnal mind. A number of people in the Old Testament, I believe were in the name before any prophet knew that the Messiah would be called Jesus.

Wasn't Elijah in the name, much if not all of the time, while he was confronting the 400 prophets of Baal?
Wasn't David 'a man after God's own heart' and the 'apple of God's eye', also at in times in the name or in His name ?

Neither Elijah nor David knew that the name of the savior was to be "Jesus" or "Yeshua" or any other spoken name, which man has applied to the Savior in the flesh, did they?

Yet, were not both of them and others in the name or in His name long before the time of the man, John the Baptist?

The following verses also speak of something within a person that is not necessarily a result of belonging to a specific group, or from his own reading, or from hearing someone read, from a particular Book such as the Bible:

"For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

Which show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another)" Rom 2:14-15

Paul also says something here on this subject:

"For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you." Acts 17:23

Isn't it also possible that among those Athenians, one or more who knew of that altar to the unknown God were also in His name before Paul talked to them that day?

If they were in the name, didn't they get there without having any written Bible?

Reactions: Azim

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God has single correct name according to Him with what men call names according to Him, is it not possible to know Him before we come to know that name?

'In the name' without even knowing the name?

An atheist I once knew mentioned that there would probably not be so many atheists if there were not so many different religions, but only one. In a sense, I would agree with him.

The following verse is one that some say points out probably the most essential difference between Christianity and other religions:

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." Acts 4:12

I believe that a person can be in the name without saying the name or even without knowing the name in his carnal mind. A number of people in the Old Testament, I believe were in the name before any prophet knew that the Messiah would be called Jesus.

Wasn't Elijah in the name, much if not all of the time, while he was confronting the 400 prophets of Baal?
Wasn't David 'a man after God's own heart' and the 'apple of God's eye', also at in times in the name or in His name ?

Neither Elijah nor David knew that the name of the savior was to be "Jesus" or "Yeshua" or any other spoken name, which man has applied to the Savior in the flesh, did they?

Yet, were not both of them and others in the name or in His name long before the time of the man, John the Baptist?

The following verses also speak of something within a person that is not necessarily a result of belonging to a specific group, or from his own reading, or from hearing someone read, from a particular Book such as the Bible:

"For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

Which show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another)" Rom 2:14-15

Paul also says something here on this subject:

"For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you." Acts 17:23

Isn't it also possible that among those Athenians, one or more who knew of that altar to the unknown God were also in His name before Paul talked to them that day?

If they were in the name, didn't they get there without having any written Bible?
You can know someone to an extent, but will never know someone well whom you do not know their name. That is usually discussed early in a relationship.

Very true, coming to the Father is through Jesus Jn 14:6

They did know of the prophecies of the Christ, Amad. David penned Ps 110:1 True he likely did not understand what he had been inspired to pen, similarly to Daniel (12:4) God's people had known His name from the beginning and called on Him sir. A few examples including Elijah you mentioned:
(Exodus 4:10) . . .Moses now said to Jehovah: “Pardon me, Jehovah. . .
(2 Kings 19:15) . . .And Hez·e·kiʹah began to pray before Jehovah and say: “O Jehovah the God of Israel. . .
(2 Chronicles 20:5, 6) . . .Then Je·hoshʹa·phat stood up in the congregation of Judah and Jerusalem in the house of Jehovah before the new courtyard, 6 and he said: “O Jehovah the God of our forefathers, are you not God in the heavens. . .
(1 Kings 18:36) . . .E·liʹjah the prophet stepped forward and said: “O Jehovah, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel. . .
(1 Kings 8:22, 23) . . .Solʹo·mon stood before the altar of Jehovah in front of all the congregation of Israel, and he spread his hands out to the heavens, 23 and he said: “O Jehovah the God of Israel, there is no God like you. . .

Paul was sent to them as the account showed Amad, as we have discussed our assignment before. He declared to them the God whom they had only partial knowledge of.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can know someone to an extent, but will never know someone well whom you do not know their name. That is usually discussed early in a relationship.

Very true, coming to the Father is through Jesus Jn 14:6

They did know of the prophecies of the Christ, Amad. David penned Ps 110:1 True he likely did not understand what he had been inspired to pen, similarly to Daniel (12:4) God's people had known His name from the beginning and called on Him sir. A few examples including Elijah you mentioned:
(Exodus 4:10) . . .Moses now said to Jehovah: “Pardon me, Jehovah. . .
(2 Kings 19:15) . . .And Hez·e·kiʹah began to pray before Jehovah and say: “O Jehovah the God of Israel. . .
(2 Chronicles 20:5, 6) . . .Then Je·hoshʹa·phat stood up in the congregation of Judah and Jerusalem in the house of Jehovah before the new courtyard, 6 and he said: “O Jehovah the God of our forefathers, are you not God in the heavens. . .
(1 Kings 18:36) . . .E·liʹjah the prophet stepped forward and said: “O Jehovah, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel. . .
(1 Kings 8:22, 23) . . .Solʹo·mon stood before the altar of Jehovah in front of all the congregation of Israel, and he spread his hands out to the heavens, 23 and he said: “O Jehovah the God of Israel, there is no God like you. . .

Paul was sent to them as the account showed Amad, as we have discussed our assignment before. He declared to them the God whom they had only partial knowledge of.
Who among us now has MORE than partial knowledge of God?

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12
When is then?

FactsPlease

Jan 19, 2023
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Approx 40 different men from many walks of life, and at different times, were inspired by God.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I might be mistaken but isn't the OP subject "what is in the Bible"? Maybe we should be discussing that instead of other topics that deserve their own threads.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12
When is then?
Among those born of women, those who have the greatest knowledge of God would be the assigned faithful slave, but you are quite correct, even though they know infinitely more than I do, they are still infants in the faith at this time.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Among those born of women, those who have the greatest knowledge of God would be the assigned faithful slave, but you are quite correct, even though they know infinitely more than I do, they are still infants in the faith at this time.
Give God the glory!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course, but I fail to see how that applies to the topic of conversation Amad.
The topic is 'What is the Bible", is it not? We should never lose sight of the fact that God is the One who gave us that Bible with all of its contents. We must never stop lifting Him up for giving us so much and for helping us so much. Glory to God indeed!

Reactions: Jim B

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is the best slave?

Perhaps those who have the greatest knowledge of God are those who have surrendered, that is humbled themselves, the most to Him?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The topic is 'What is the Bible", is it not? We should never lose sight of the fact that God is the One who gave us that Bible with all of its contents. We must never stop lifting Him up for giving us so much and for helping us so much. Glory to God indeed!
You stated this, and I said the following to you in answer to that:
Although the initial topic was what is the Bible, conversations evolve so the reply has to be in line with the question. Give glory to God in all things while exactly truth, and could be stated in every reply, does not necessarily address what one was speaking about. A point blank answer to your question would be no one. But everyone knew that, so I proceeded onward with the assigned faithful slave, who has been appointed to feed Jesus' sheep until his return. If you cannot believe them, who can you believe as Jesus has given them the highest authority on earth.

Reactions: Jim B

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is the best slave?

Perhaps those who have the greatest knowledge of God are those who have surrendered, that is humbled themselves, the most to Him?
It is very interesting how Jesus phrased the passage about the faithful slave, he said Who really is the faithful and discreet slave? But he goes on to reveal information on how to identify them. They are identifiable, but most have no idea what that passage is speaking about.

Do you believe we are living near the end of the last days Jesus foretold to his disciples in Mat 24? If you do, then you realize the faithful slave is here. They are to feed Jesus' sheep, those who know Jesus would realize that he placed spiritual food above physical food, Mat 4:4. In line with the prophecy of the last days in Isa 2:2,3 those who come to God's house will be fed spiritually so they can walk in His paths, so someone is feeding Jesus' sheep spiritually, and the sheep are walking in God's ways. Although difficult as Jesus knew and phrased it the way he did, it is not impossible to identify the slave, and when you do, you wonder why you see it so easily, but didn't before.

Which reminds me of a simple riddle Amad, you might enjoy this sir, a man at a carnival wants to ride the ferris wheel, the price is 40 cents, he hands the ticket booth a dollar and the booth gives him 2 tickets and 20 cents change. How did the cashier know he wanted 2 tickets since he did not say?

This is extremely simple, but if you are anything like me, I knew it was impossible, but of course they want to sell as many tickets as they can, it is their livelihood after all, that was what went through my pea sized brain.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should never lose sight of the fact that God is the One who gave us that Bible with all of its contents.
Only in the sense that God gave us everything is this true. Getting down to the next level of detail, it was a political process among formerly persecuted 4th century men who gave us the Bible. I'm reminded of the lyrics to a song, 'what to leave in? what to leave out?' It is a dilemma.

The Bible is merely a collection of books. And to use the term 'book' is more like a booklet by modern standards. Still, this collection has been turned into an idol by some, calling it 'the word of God.' However, if one studies the apographa, one will find these books too appeal to God's word. So, we get into esoteric criteria, like truly the word of god.

In the final analysis, the Bible is merely parchment. All religions have a holy book. What separates us from followers of other religions is that we have a living god. The collection of books, in whatever translation, merely point our mind to that awesome reality.

Reactions: amadeus

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is very interesting how Jesus phrased the passage about the faithful slave, he said Who really is the faithful and discreet slave? But he goes on to reveal information on how to identify them. They are identifiable, but most have no idea what that passage is speaking about.

Do you believe we are living near the end of the last days Jesus foretold to his disciples in Mat 24? If you do, then you realize the faithful slave is here. They are to feed Jesus' sheep, those who know Jesus would realize that he placed spiritual food above physical food, Mat 4:4. In line with the prophecy of the last days in Isa 2:2,3 those who come to God's house will be fed spiritually so they can walk in His paths, so someone is feeding Jesus' sheep spiritually, and the sheep are walking in God's ways. Although difficult as Jesus knew and phrased it the way he did, it is not impossible to identify the slave, and when you do, you wonder why you see it so easily, but didn't before.

Which reminds me of a simple riddle Amad, you might enjoy this sir, a man at a carnival wants to ride the ferris wheel, the price is 40 cents, he hands the ticket booth a dollar and the booth gives him 2 tickets and 20 cents change. How did the cashier know he wanted 2 tickets since he did not say?

This is extremely simple, but if you are anything like me, I knew it was impossible, but of course they want to sell as many tickets as they can, it is their livelihood after all, that was what went through my pea sized brain.
It’s not a dollar bill…? Is it coins the man payed with?