What is the difference between a spirit and a spiritual body?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
English Standard Version Luke 24:

39 See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.
After the resurrection, Jesus' body is not like a spirit. Paul spoke of the resurrection body in 1 Corinthians 15:

42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable.
The current physical body is perishable. The resurrected body will not be perishable.

43It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. 44It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.
It will be a spiritual body according to the new spiritual physics.

50 I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.
Jesus was raised in a spiritual body. We, too, will likely have a resurrected body like Jesus'.

Does a spiritual body have physical flesh and bones as we have now?

No, physical flesh and bones, as we have now, are perishable. We will have a spiritual body with imperishable flesh and bones.

A pure spirit does not possess imperishable flesh and bones.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

After the resurrection, Jesus' body is not like a spirit. Paul spoke of the resurrection body in 1 Corinthians 15:

The current physical body is perishable. The resurrected body will not be perishable.

Jesus was raised in a spiritual body. We, too, will likely have a resurrected body like Jesus'.

No, physical flesh and bones, as we have now, are perishable. We will have a spiritual body with imperishable flesh and bones.

But you have nearly contradicted yourself--as many do, regarding this question.

As you said, after He rose from the dead, Jesus clearly indicated that He was not a spirit. But then your ended with the idea that He was, and we can look forward to "a spiritual body according to the new spiritual physics. This is not true.

Jesus clearly stated, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit." John 3:6-8

And there is nothing "new" to be expected, for God with which we are to be One, has declared, "I am the Lord, I do not change." Malachi 3:6

The better understanding, is that being born [again] of the spirit of God we become like Him, of Him, in Him, and Him in us through Christ...who is the Lord and does "not change." "God is spirit" and unseen to flesh and blood. But is God, being spirit, blind to those who are born of the spirit--to anything? No...and neither "is everyone born of the Spirit."

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus indeed had a spiritual body. He received a NEW ressurrected life, with a NEW ressurrected body. While in His earthly body, Jesus could do miricles like; walk on water, or touch people and restore their health and even life. One thing Jesus could not do with His earthly body is walk through walls, nor could He suddenly show up on the road to Amas, and then dissapear or suddenly appear and knock Saul off his horse and then dissapear.

When Jesus rose from the dead, He did so as an example to us that we would be like Him as well. He was changed in a twinkling of an eye, and we will be also. We will be changed to new bodies and we will be clothed with white robs. We will be like the angels, there will be no males or females and we will become imperishable, and no pain or suffering, no tears, no worries.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would think of a "spirit" as one person, whereas I would think of a "spiritual body" as a group of spiritual people.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We receive our spiritual bodies at the rapture. We will be Transformed (or Raised and Transformed) to have a spiritual body that is Immortal (you forgot that one lol! A body just like Jesus's resurrected body.

Now, Spiritual body's are solid flesh and bone but if you recall, man is fond of saying flesh and blood. There is a distinction between them! What's the difference? A lot.

Scientist have recently discovered (or theorized) that our blood is made out of congealed light. I kid you not. So the spiritual light within us congealed at the fall and became blood. Before the fall, Adam said of Eve, She is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh. Not flesh and blood because they had not fell yet!

So we lost the spiritual body when we fell. But after His resurrection, Jesus demonstrated His Resurrection body and it's capabilities. He spiritually appeared behind the locked doors with the Disciples, remember?
John 20
19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you....

26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you..../KJV

Jesus could walk right through the wall without even using a door. He had His Resurrection body. He probably didntt even move the stone on the tomb when He woke up again. The Angel opened it for the women, he knew they would be coming!

And Jesus's resurrection body (RB) was a physical body. He was a Spirit in a body. Like we are but not like Jesus's yet! But we will be. Will it be the resurrected saints that have positions in government during the Millenium? I dunno. But those RB will be very cool to live in.

Look honey, I can walk through the wall! But it will be a body of flesh and bone, with our spirit/soul inside. No more blood I think either. Jesus said to them

Luke 24:39
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have..../KJV

Jesus said His (RB) was solid flesh and bones to them