What is the new nature?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of my great joys is swimming in the endless depths of Scripture. I don't expect that I will ever in this life tire of reading, studying, meditating on Scripture, as a part of my relationship and devotion to God.

Colossians 3:9-11 KJV
9) Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
10) And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
11) Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

Considering God is infinitely transcendant, do we really think we will learn all there is to learn about Him, ever? Think this is what will keep eternity eternally fresh for us, coming into every deeper knowledge and relationship with God.

And as deep as I go into Scripture, I find it goes ever deeper still.

Much love!
Nobody seems to graduate from the Bible classes. Others do... all others do. We read a book and then we got it. We go to school and then graduate and then we know the field. Yet nobody seems to graduate from the Christian course. Maybe it's because hardly anyone understands it. So nobody can pass the course.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 8:29
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Conformed is symmorphos which means to have the same form as another.
So then we were conformed. And not conforming. We are transformed and not being transformed.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ronald Nolette dropping truth bombs like it's biblical mic drop time! Romans 8:29 says it all – we're in for a cosmic makeover, destined to rock the same form as Jesus. It's like spiritual glow-up goals, folks! #SpiritualGlowUp #BiblicalMakeover
So then we were conformed. And not conforming. We are transformed and not being transformed.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
. . . have put on Christ . . . til Christ be formed within you . . . that Jesus might be manifested in your mortal body . . . shall also bear the image of the heavenly . . . are being transformed into the same image . . . I think this is all through the New Testament.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 3:13-15 KJV
13) Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14) I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15) Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 3:17-18 KJV
17) Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
18) But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Are changed . . . Present tense, passive voice, being done to us, ongoing.

Much love!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish you would maintain proper grammar!

Conformed is a process that has started now to be completed in the future! that is why the prmier linguistic scholars added the "to be", to show it is a process to be finished in the future.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 3:17-18 KJV
17) Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
18) But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Are changed . . . Present tense, passive voice, being done to us, ongoing.

Much love!
I don't see changing. I see changed. It’s not in the process of becoming new because it’s already as pure and perfect as it can be. This is not something that has yet to happen or has to happen over and over. It’s a done deal because in our new, born-again spirit, we are dead to sin.
We see this with statements like "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law." Well, I'm not under the law right now. Or "We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not." I'm born of God right now. Or "being made free from sin, and become servants to God." I'm a servant to God right now.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish you would maintain proper grammar!

Conformed is a process that has started now to be completed in the future! that is why the prmier linguistic scholars added the "to be", to show it is a process to be finished in the future.
I don't see changing. I see changed. It’s not in the process of becoming new because it’s already as pure and perfect as it can be. This is not something that has yet to happen or has to happen over and over. It’s a done deal because in our new, born-again spirit, we are dead to sin.
We see this with statements like "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law." Well, I'm not under the law right now. Or "We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not." I'm born of God right now. Or "being made free from sin, and become servants to God." I'm a servant to God right now.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well that is because the "to be" in order to translate properly to English is not explicitly written in Greek. But those who know the deep nuances knew that to make it correct in English, "tobe" must be included as is found in 37 English translations.

And the "literal" translations, all but one do not include "to be" because they are not interested in translating language to language but simply exactly from Greek to English without the nedded add ons in English to make it correct to teh original Greek.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So yo0u believe you live in sinless perfection inthought, word and deed 24/7?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't see changing. I see changed.
Personally I think we need to account for the grammar in the Bible text. If you've left the Bible behind, feeling that you don't need it any longer, I don't know what to say, maybe to reconsider that POV.

Personally, I find the Bible is excellent for keeping us from error in our thinking, IF we heed it's exact sayings.

Much love!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally I think we need to account for the grammar in the Bible text. If you've left the Bible behind, feeling that you don't need it any longer, I don't know what to say, maybe to reconsider that POV.

Personally, I find the Bible is excellent for keeping us from error in our thinking, IF we heed it's exact sayings.

Much love!
I graduated and no longer need to keep trying to figure out what it wants me to do. The Bible is like a road map. It's purpose is to teach us what to do. Once we know that. There's no reason to keep trying to figure out where it wants us to go. When I dentist reads and takes classes to learn how to pull a tooth. Then they know how to pull a tooth. They don't need to keep reading how to pull a tooth over and over and over.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So yo0u believe you live in sinless perfection inthought, word and deed 24/7?
The problem I have with you is you make stuff up and call it Christian. You use words that are not in the Bible and I don't know why you do that. God does not say anything about perfection or sinless perfection.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once again it comes down to man's interpretation as some Bibles have it one way and other Bibles have it another way. So it depends on what church you go to and what the preacher tells you. But an expert like myself knows that we are completely complete in His Christ and there's nothing that still needs to be added day by day.

T

Tulipbee

Ah, Peterlag, a theological wordplay master, dancing with paradoxes like a celestial jester! Your comment has us twirling in the cosmic ballroom of transformation. Now, let's unravel this divine dance of conforming and transforming, shall we?

In the Calvinistic script, Romans 8:29 unfolds as a cosmic makeover proclamation. Calvin might muse, "Verily, the elect, conformed in the divine image, are destined for a celestial glow-up, a transformation guided by the sovereign hand of predestination."

Now, your playful paradox, "So then we were conformed. And not conforming. We are transformed and not being transformed." Calvin would likely nod in amusement, saying, "In the theological tango, the believers, once conformed, continue the dance of transformation, a divine paradox orchestrated by the celestial choreographer."

As we waltz through Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion, we find echoes of the paradoxical dance. "The elect, conformed in their regeneration, engage in the ongoing transformation, a dance where the Spirit leads and sanctification unfolds."

Now, let's shed some comedic light on the Arminian stage, where the dance may involve a collaborative effort of human will and divine grace. Yet, in the Calvinistic theater, the emphasis is on God's sovereign hand, directing the dance steps of conformity and transformation.

So, Peterlag, in this theological ballroom, whether conforming or transforming, Calvinism brings a unique rhythm to the dance, guided by the divine melody of predestination. It's a cosmic choreography that has us tapping our theological toes! #ParadoxicalDance #CalvinisticComedy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But an expert like myself knows that we are completely complete in His Christ and there's nothing that still needs to be added day by day.
Philippians 3:9-14 KJV
9) And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10) That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
11) If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
12) Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13) Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14) I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

I don't think we need a lot of expertise to understand plainly stated Scripture. We can compare translations and Koine Greek all you'd like, it won't show anything different than this, the KJV is a good translation here.

Yes, we are complete in Christ, yet we are still growing in Him, or however you want to put it. Paul, here, states this in several ways, take your pick. But if you think you are advanced beyond the Bible, and just know that the truth is actually something different, in that case I would warn you to give heed to the Scriptures, which can divide between soul and spirit.

Much love!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 3:9-14 KJV
9) And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10) That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
11) If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
12) Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

I don't think we need a lot of expertise to understand plainly stated Scripture. We can compare translations and Koine Greek all you'd like, it won't show anything different than this, the KJV is a good translation here.

Yes, we are complete in Christ, yet we are still growing in Him, or however you want to put it. Paul, here, states this in several ways, take your pick. But if you think you are advanced beyond the Bible, and just know that the truth is actually something different, in that case I would warn you to give heed to the Scriptures, which can divide between soul and spirit.

Much love!
We are not on the same page. I speak about what God has done to us. You speak about how men live there lives. How is it that you say of me that I'm above the Bible?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, Peterlag, a theological wordplay master, dancing with paradoxes like a celestial jester! Your comment has us twirling in the cosmic ballroom of transformation. Now, let's unravel this divine dance of conforming and transforming, shall we?

In the Calvinistic script, Romans 8:29 unfolds as a cosmic makeover proclamation. Calvin might muse, "Verily, the elect, conformed in the divine image, are destined for a celestial glow-up, a transformation guided by the sovereign hand of predestination."

Now, your playful paradox, "So then we were conformed. And not conforming. We are transformed and not being transformed." Calvin would likely nod in amusement, saying, "In the theological tango, the believers, once conformed, continue the dance of transformation, a divine paradox orchestrated by the celestial choreographer."

As we waltz through Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion, we find echoes of the paradoxical dance. "The elect, conformed in their regeneration, engage in the ongoing transformation, a dance where the Spirit leads and sanctification unfolds."

Now, let's shed some comedic light on the Arminian stage, where the dance may involve a collaborative effort of human will and divine grace. Yet, in the Calvinistic theater, the emphasis is on God's sovereign hand, directing the dance steps of conformity and transformation.

So, Peterlag, in this theological ballroom, whether conforming or transforming, Calvinism brings a unique rhythm to the dance, guided by the divine melody of predestination. It's a cosmic choreography that has us tapping our theological toes! #ParadoxicalDance #CalvinisticComedy
I would comment on this if I knew what you were saying.