What is the one true Church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; that they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us...” — John 17:20, 21

It is often asked, “What is the right denomination?” There are hundreds, if not thousands of denominations all claiming to be this one true church, but does God recognize any of these as His representative on earth? This subject should be approached prayerfully and honestly. If there was but one church in the beginning, established by our Lord, there should be but the one church in the end — the church triumphant in glory. Colossians 3:4

The word church was first used in the New Testament and is a translation of the Greek word ekklesia, which means a calling out. Jesus said to his disciples, “I have chosen you out of the world.” (John 15:19) The true church is a company of believers who, in accepting the invitation of Christ, have become sanctified or separated from the world, worldly pursuits and worldly organizations.

Those of the early church bore no denominational names, but were simply identified by their location. “Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, …sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints…” (1 Corinthians 1:2) These sanctified individuals in various communities set themselves apart from the world and dedicate their lives to God through the merit of His Son. Thus, the true church is not a place to go to, nor is it a denomination to belong to. The church is the gathering of sincere believers. Paul emphasized this when he confirmed that Jesus’ followers were baptized only into Christ and not into an earthly organization. There is but one baptism, and that is into Christ. Thus, it is a misconception that one joins or is baptized into a particular church denomination. Ephesians 4:4-6; Galatians 3:27; Romans 6:3, 4
You are correct, there is only 1 religion on earth that has Jesus-1Cor 1:10= a true mark--Unity of thought( all of Gods 1 truth), no division.-- The over 40,000 religions claiming to be christian are failing that true mark 100%--Only 1 has Jesus. All 40,000 claim to have holy spirit, but all creation sees is a mass of confusion.
There is a way to identify that 1 religion. Jesus taught they would be hated. And At Matt 28:19-20--it is clear, the one that has Jesus and makes real disciples teach all that Jesus commanded without fail. That means every single teaching. A super important one= Man does not live by bread alone, but by EVERY utterance from God= OT-NT taught over and over, year after year, without fail. All can look at their teachers right now and see if that is accomplished.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those verses condemn sex outside of marriage.
Only a moral relativist like yourself would try to wiggle out of that truth.
Are you talking about adultery?
Because if you have sex....you are married.
If you have sex with anyone else.....you committing adultery.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are correct, there is only 1 religion on earth that has Jesus-1Cor 1:10= a true mark--Unity of thought( all of Gods 1 truth), no division.-- The over 40,000 religions claiming to be christian are failing that true mark 100%--Only 1 has Jesus. All 40,000 claim to have holy spirit, but all creation sees is a mass of confusion.
There is a way to identify that 1 religion. Jesus taught they would be hated. And At Matt 28:19-20--it is clear, the one that has Jesus and makes real disciples teach all that Jesus commanded without fail. That means every single teaching. A super important one= Man does not live by bread alone, but by EVERY utterance from God= OT-NT taught over and over, year after year, without fail. All can look at their teachers right now and see if that is accomplished.
Okay, what is the "one Christian religion" that has the perfect truth?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you talking about adultery?
Because if you have sex....you are married.
If you have sex with anyone else.....you committing adultery.
So, YOUR contention is whoever you have sex with becomes your de facto spouse??
Show me the Biblical evidence for this.

Chapter and Verse, please . . .

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, YOUR contention is whoever you have sex with becomes your de facto spouse??
Show me the Biblical evidence for this.

Chapter and Verse, please . . .
Anytime they talks about a wife it a marriage without a wedding ceremony. Read the bible.
Now we would not be having this discussion if the Bible required a wedding ceremony. You should find that.
The topic would be at least different if the bible said King David and Bathsheba had a wedding ceremony and were married.
But the Old Testament Hebrew did not have a word for wed or wedding.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you miss my post to you?
I do not care what you think or say, why keep yapping as if I care…. LOL
That won't stop me from exposing your nonsense.

PS - "LOL" . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anytime they talks about a wife it a marriage without a wedding ceremony. Read the bible.
Now we would not be having this discussion if the Bible required a wedding ceremony. You should find that.
The topic would be at least different if the bible said King David and Bathsheba had a wedding ceremony and were married.
But the Old Testament Hebrew did not have a word for wed or wedding.
I ask YOU for Biblical evidence for your claim that automatically make you their spouse - and ALL you can respond with is, "Read the Bible" and "You should find that"??

SERIOUSLY??

That's your proof??

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I ask YOU for Biblical evidence for your claim that automatically make you their spouse - and ALL you can respond with is, "Read the Bible" and "You should find that"??

SERIOUSLY??

That's your proof??
My point is that there is no requirement in the Bible for a wedding ceremony.
I cannot show you something that is not there.
That is how you formulate your religious beliefs.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since you guys will not talk about the good things that the Catholic have done in modern times I guess I will post a few things.
The Modern Catholic church does have a focus on marriage and the family....
The first Catholic school in America opened in Philadelphia in 1783. Throughout the 19th century, the indispensable efforts of Catholic priests and nuns contributed to the creation of many Catholic schools across America. But the Catholic school system as we know it today can be mostly attributed to the grit, determination and sacrifice of a flood of Catholic immigrants who entered the United States in the late 19th century.

In an attempt to preserve and pass along their faith to their children, these Catholics built their elementary schools and paid Catholic sisters to teach in them. By 1920, 6,551 Catholic elementary schools enrolled 1.8 million students taught by 42,000 teachers. Enrollment continued to climb reaching an all-time high of 4.5 million students by the mid-1960s.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Typically, the Sacraments of Confirmation and Holy Communion are conferred on children at the age of 7 or 8 years.. Because the children are receiving three sacraments during these years, Reconciliation, Confirmation and Eucharist, Sacramental Preparation is a 2-year program.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point is that there is no requirement in the Bible for a wedding ceremony.
I cannot show you something that is not there.
That is how you formulate your religious beliefs.
And this is a TEXTBOOK example of the bankrupt, 16th century, man-made invention of Sola Scriptura. The idea that - if it ain't in the Bible- then it ain't true . . .

There mere fact that not every wedding ceremony is documented in Scripture us somehow "proof" that they didn't happen is perfect example of YOUR inability to understand Scripture. There are MANY things not documented such as -
Mary cooking for Joseph and Jesus
Peter
smiling
Paul going to the bathroom
Moses blowing his nose

Your stringent criteria is asinine and Biblically-untenable. NOWHERE, does the Bible tell us that we are to believe ONLY what we read in the Bible.
It actually goes a step BEYOND the fallacy of Sola Scriptura . . .

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholic World Mission bridges the gap between donors and partners to uplift those in spiritual and material poverty. The Catholic missions rises on three pillars: Evangelization — bridges the spiritual gap by introducing God's love to as many people as possible worldwide.

Within the Catholic Church, there is a very rich history of missionary activity. Many religious orders, including the Franciscans, Ursulines, and Jesuits (Society of Jesus) have sent brothers, priests, and sisters to remote locations all over the world to spread the faith.

Catholic World Mission, for example, does work in countries across Africa, Asia, Europe, North America and Central and South America. These mission efforts across the world typically involve ongoing support from local parishes and people who have in-roads in their communities.

Mother Teresa founded the Order of the Missionaries of Charity, a Roman Catholic congregation of women dedicated to the poor, particularly to those in India, that opened numerous centers serving the blind, the aged, and the disabled.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Typically, the Sacraments of Confirmation and Holy Communion are conferred on children at the age of 7 or 8 years.. Because the children are receiving three sacraments during these years, Reconciliation, Confirmation and Eucharist, Sacramental Preparation is a 2-year program.
YOUR problem is that you speak matter-of-factly about things you have NO knowledge of.
This applies especially to your remarks with regard to Catholicism. I am a Latin Rite (Roma) Catholic. In this Rite - confirmation does NOT usually take place until the adolescent years (14-16) - nor 7 or 8.

Do your homework next time . . .

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this is a TEXTBOOK example of the bankrupt, 16th century, man-made invention of Sola Scriptura. The idea that - if it ain't in the Bible- then it ain't true . . .

There mere fact that not every wedding ceremony is documented in Scripture us somehow "proof" that they didn't happen is perfect example of YOUR inability to understand Scripture. There are MANY things not documented such as -
Mary cooking for Joseph and Jesus
Peter
smiling
Paul going to the bathroom
Moses blowing his nose

Your stringent criteria is asinine and Biblically-untenable. NOWHERE, does the Bible tell us that we are to believe ONLY what we read in the Bible.
It actually goes a step BEYOND the fallacy of Sola Scriptura . . .
Well you are at the bottom of the barrel now buddy!
Formulating beliefs that are not in the Bible or history is called a fantasy.
Why do people cling to false beliefs?
This is why I have to have patients and humor. For a lot of people the false beliefs are the most important part of their Christian beliefs.
They are going to believe them even if they are not in the Bible or history.
Folks, beware of false beliefs...because they usually cause sin.....verify what I have said yourselves.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YOUR problem is that you speak matter-of-factly about things you have NO knowledge of.
This applies especially to your remarks with regard to Catholicism. I am a Latin Rite (Roma) Catholic. In this Rite - confirmation does NOT usually take place until the adolescent years (14-16) - nor 7 or 8.

Do your homework next time . . .
So why did I receive confirmation in 2nd grade? Do your homework.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well you are at the bottom of the barrel now buddy!
Formulating beliefs that are not in the Bible or history is called a fantasy.
Why do people cling to false beliefs?
This is why I have to have patients and humor. For a lot of people the false beliefs are the most important part of their Christian beliefs.
They are going to believe them even if they are not in the Bible or history.
Folks, beware of false beliefs...because they usually cause sin.....verify what I have said yourselves.
This is proof that you don't read the Bible that you claim to rely on for ALL of your truth.

The Jews depended on TWO pillars of revelation in the OT:
The WRITTEN Word of God (Scripture)
The ORAL Word of God (Tradition)

This didn't "magically change" in the NT.
It is precisely WHY Paul tells his readers:
2 Thess. 2:15

"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, whether by an ORAL STATEMENT or by a LETTER from us."

Notice that Paul doesn't say - "ONLY hold fast to what is written."
BOTH the written AND the oral are held to the SAME standard.

YOUR view is ANTI-Biblical . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So why did I receive confirmation in 2nd grade? Do your homework.
First of all - WHAT did I say??

I said confirmation does not USUALLY take place until the adolescent years
(14-16).
YOU falsely said that it "TYPICALLY" occurs at 7 or 8 years of age.

Pay attention . . .