What's the weather like where you are?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Today we got another Chinook wind...lovely , everything is dripping..(which wont be good when it freezes over tonight.)
We even had some rain today...on top of the snow.. :(

Every day like this, is a bonus for us. :)

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Af

More snow...nice stuff to look at and play in, but not good for these old bones.
So what kind of fish frequent the Yarra?
You and me on the old bones. This may be my worst winter. I am cold no matter what.

Reactions: Helen
B

brakelite

You and me on the old bones. This may be my worst winter. I am cold no matter what.
Sorry to hear that. I know I am not as ancient as some, most of my complaining about the cold comes from simply a sense of self comfort. In reality I'm just being soft.
Otherssuch as yourselfi fully understand that age catches up and one struggles to cope with extremes. If I were living in your climate,I would have died a long time ago. You fellas , Grace, farouk, et al with letter boxes bordering the arctic circle are tougher than me.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Come up higher John...you aint seen cold yet!! :D

If its any comfort, Dave says the very same. His feet are always cold

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Come up higher John...you aint seen cold yet!! :D

If its any comfort, Dave says the very same. His feet are always cold
Well when I was younger I spent 2 winters in Wyoming and 1 winter in West Berlin. A bit over a year ago they put me on a blood thinner and now in the summer time when its over 100 F [38 C] I often like it outside better than in many of the air conditioned buildings where I have to put on a light jacket or sweater. My wife and I have reversed roles in this as it used to be her that was always cold. Now she want to crank that air conditioner up higher when I'm wrapped up in sweater or blanket.

Today it did warm up a tad from 34 F [1.1 C] from yesterday in actual temperature. Also yesterday the wind averaged 30-40 miles an hour all day. Today there is no wind. Warmer yet tomorrow.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that. I know I am not as ancient as some, most of my complaining about the cold comes from simply a sense of self comfort. In reality I'm just being soft.
Otherssuch as yourselfi fully understand that age catches up and one struggles to cope with extremes. If I were living in your climate,I would have died a long time ago. You fellas , Grace, farouk, et al with letter boxes bordering the arctic circle are tougher than me.
Sometimes I guess I complain because I can. The cold for me is real enough, but I really shouldn't complain as I have certainly been a lot more uncomfortable. The very worst winter for me was the one I spent in West Berlin in 1969-1970. I remember wondering why those 2½ million people would purposely live where the snow arrived in October and the last snow blizzard was in May. Well I was in my mid 20's then and complained. My body is no longer able to handle it will anymore. For really normally Oklahoma usually has few really cold days when compared to any of those places and certainly not where Helen @"ByGrace" lives..

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I guess I complain because I can. The cold for me is real enough, but I really shouldn't complain as I have certainly been a lot more uncomfortable. The very worst winter for me was the one I spent in West Berlin in 1969-1970. I remember wondering why those 2½ million people would purposely live where the snow arrived in October and the last snow blizzard was in May. Well I was in my mid 20's then and complained. My body is no longer able to handle it will anymore. For really normally Oklahoma usually has few really cold days when compared to any of those places and certainly not where Helen @"ByGrace" lives..

Colder now here, too. That front everybody was experiencing finally got to us. Supposed to be 25 degrees tonight, and I have to drive around for two and half hours in it with the windows open. But it still won't be as bad as the summer we had here. That was miserable.

But yeah, things slow down for me too if I have work to do outside. Was building a fence, and I was supposed to get some more work done today...

Didn't happen, LoL.

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Agree. I confess as I write this I am in a nice comfy arm chair with a small lap blanket over my legs and feet . I have NEVER seen Dave with a lap blanket ...the other day I asked him if he’d like one...he said YES! I was amazed ...I took a sneaky photo of him from the side , and sent it to my two daughters ( both almost 60 now).
One said it made her weepy to see her strong ,tough ,macho dad sitting like an old man. I wrote back...”the thing is...he IS an old man now at 82.”
She’d never seen him in that light, she still sees him as the man who plays squash three times a week and the man to call on for a quick favour or small job.

I think our blood must thin out as we age. At least our houses are cozy , our cars are too...and all the Malls are warm to shop in.
I don’t think I’d like your creepy crawlers down there John. I bet you have snakes too?
At least we dint have that to battle with :)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree. I confess as I write this I am in a nice comfy arm chair with a small lap blanket over my legs and feet . I have NEVER seen Dave with a lap blanket ...the other day I asked him if he’d like one...he said YES! I was amazed ...I took a sneaky photo of him from the side , and sent it to my two daughters ( both almost 60 now).
One said it made her weepy to see her strong ,tough ,macho dad sitting like an old man. I wrote back...”the thing is...he IS an old man now at 82.”
She’d never seen him in that light, she still sees him as the man who plays squash three times a week and the man to call on for a quick favour or small job.
Yes, slowly but surely we continue to age and no matter what we used to be able to do and to tolerate, it is less now. What comes to my mind is my relationship with the kids. When my own two were at home I would get down on the floor and play with them. With my grandchildren I did the same regularly taking them to the park to play on swings, slides, merry-go-rounds. Then finally more recently I tried to do the same thing with my one great-grandson. He loved it but I had to stop. I'd get out of breath and could hardly get up from the floor. I miss the ability to interact with them that way. Except for the great-grandson [9 years old now] they've all grown up. My youngest grandchild graduated from high school this past May.

Me, I still would like to join in their games, but I cannot. My wife and play a game of cards and scrabble every day and that is all that is usually our limit. Mental, God has still blessed us there, but physical is very limited any more and I can feel the weather as never before. That blanket and sweater in the house is a real comfort to me.

Give God the glory!

I think our blood must thin out as we age. At least our houses are cozy , our cars are too...and all the Malls are warm to shop in.
I don’t think I’d like your creepy crawlers down there John. I bet you have snakes too?
At least we dint have that to battle with :)

Yes, we have some snakes but they've never really bothered me. When lived in the country, I'd only deal with them when they came too close to the house. Now living in town in an apartment complex, it's been years since I've seen one. I really wish I could go for a nice walk out in the open fields and forests again, but I suspect that will never happen again in this lifetime, just like playing with the kids.

Reactions: brakelite and Helen

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well,,,, we did get at least a foot of snow ! and it finally stopped...

I guess the grand children are having fun today with it. But it is cold, so I guess they will not stay out real long.

OF course they will not say its cold......... But ? They enjoy it.....

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to remember 'raining in Manchester' as a truism... whether accurately or not...
Manchester gets quite a lot of the right sort of rain for cotton spinning and weaving. The moisture in the air meant that the this cotton threads did not break so easily when being spun. Manchester's nickname used to be 'Cottonopolis' due to the vast numbers of cotton mills. Manchester was a port at one time and also with Liverpool not far away the bales were brought up to Manchester by canal. There was great hardship during the American civil war as the cotton supply dried up. Eventually they had to rely on cheaper and inferior cotton from India. There are so many old mills round Manchester, some derelict and some used for other purposes.
th
This is one of the largest mills in Bolton Beehive Mill. But it is without its chimneys which are long gone.
bbdf3dfed2c980e099b2173f0f7a3e29.jpg

And this is what the town would have looked like when all the mills were working. A veritable forest of chimneys. And much of the North West of England was like this.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Manchester gets quite a lot of the right sort of rain for cotton spinning and weaving. The moisture in the air meant that the this cotton threads did not break so easily when being spun. Manchester's nickname used to be 'Cottonopolis' due to the vast numbers of cotton mills. Manchester was a port at one time and also with Liverpool not far away the bales were brought up to Manchester by canal. There was great hardship during the American civil war as the cotton supply dried up. Eventually they had to rely on cheaper and inferior cotton from India. There are so many old mills round Manchester, some derelict and some used for other purposes.
th
This is one of the largest mills in Bolton Beehive Mill. But it is without its chimneys which are long gone.

And this is what the town would have looked like when all the mills were working. A veritable forest of chimneys. And much of the North West of England was like this.

What a lovely post Pat... I LOVE history and I didn't know any of what you shared. Robin lived there for 30 years but even when we visited he didn't tell us anything at all about the history of the place.

Thank you very much xxx

Reactions: Pearl and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
th

Looks like something from an LS Lowry painting... :)

Reactions: Helen and Pearl

Blueberry

Nov 2, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today it did warm up a tad from 34 F [1.1 C] from yesterday in actual temperature. Also yesterday the wind averaged 30-40 miles an hour all day. Today there is no wind. Warmer yet tomorrow.

Hello Amadeus,
You can probably tell me a lot about Oklahoma weather. I'm familiar with Dallas weather though its been a couple of decades. How long are the periods where it stays below freezing without a break along I-40 latitude? How many of those periods? There are those days when it barely thaws only to refreeze. Not sure how to categorize those? I've dealt with treacherous black ice in my DFW days. Having to deal with hard freezes again is something I am going to have to adapt to after a couple of decades in Houston.
Thanks

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is dull, damp and grey with a bitingly cold wind that feel like it could bring snow. Already parts of Devon and South Wales have had a lot of snow.