When is a christian NOT a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The Jesus thing was never pounded into me, my mum and dad never went to Church when I was a child.

Faith has to start from somewhere you know, we do have faith that our mum and dad have our well being at hand, are they going to feed me and look after me as a child ? yes I had faith that they would because they loved their children, so yes that's faith. and I looked around at most people back them days and they all supported Christianity and if I came across one that did not they were criminal types that no one would trust at all as they were always dogs that only looked out for number one, themselves and had children that they did not truly care for did not surprise me at all, seen that time and time again over the years.

Sure people can only look at the subject from where they are at.
yeh, good point; "facts all come with points of view." Problem is imo that when someone has started down the path of teaching, they are kind of like advertising that they are no longer "looking?" Or iow a teacher that only recognizes one pov is not really doin much teaching maybe...well, except maybe teaching something they might rather wish they were not, later.

As to your observations on Christianity, i cant disagree, but i would say that the avg Christian back then had no idea the cost that the rest of the world had to bear for their relative luxury, we didnt have the internet then, etc, and it could also be that your eye just saw what it was programmed to see, too, i mean thats harder to get away from than we realize i guess.

So, that world is gone now, passed away, and i try not to judge Boomers in hindsight cuz "there but for the grace of God" imo, ida done no different...maybe

Reactions: amadeus

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I seen many a child that it was pounded into, my Dad for one said it was with and his dad died when he was 16yo but he had arguments with his relations who were Priest as to his getting married outside of the RCC and that's when he gave up on going to Church. so while he believed and my mum also, they just did not push it. they had faith in Jesus but not in the churches.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Positng those scriptures might support something, but didn't answer my post. I asked, what authority does the church have to punish heretics? I didn't ask about identifying them and distancing ourselves from those who were unrepentant d and unwilling to hear the truth. I am talking about the willingness of the medieval church to not only punish heretics, but put them to death, confiscate their property, and persecute their children. Where is the biblical justification for that?
I better understand now. You are equating the word "punish" to physical punishment and confiscation of property. I was equating it to banishment from the community. I apologize for using it in such narrow terms.

Ananias and Sapphira where "punished" for lying to Peter who was the head of The Church after Jesus had risen soooo there is that.

The punishment of heretics was done by Protestant churches
also sooooo how about if you research their "biblical justification" and stop looking at the splinter in your brothers eye.

Historically we know that the secular authorities, not the CC, carried out or enforced the atrocities you speak of. Those accused of heresy preferred their day in court to be in a Catholic tribunal and NOT a secular court because they were treated better by The Church.

There is no "biblical justification" for the sins you speak of that were committed by the men of The Church and your Protestant men.

There is no "biblical justification" for the sins you commit.

Mary

Jul 27, 2019
Collinsville, IL
crossingscollinsville.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want a set of boundaries, it might be best to examine the characteristics of a 'disciple' as laid out by Jesus in the Bible. The word 'Christian' only shows up 3 times in the Bible and that after the church had been around for a number of years already. The normative term used to describe a follower of Jesus/saved person in the scriptures is the word 'disciple' - including derivatives it shows up over 270 times in the New Testament.

John 8:31, John 13:34-35, and John 15:8 are great places to start looking.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you want a set of boundaries, it might be best to examine the characteristics of a 'disciple' as laid out by Jesus in the Bible. The word 'Christian' only shows up 3 times in the Bible and that after the church had been around for a number of years already. The normative term used to describe a follower of Jesus/saved person in the scriptures is the word 'disciple' - including derivatives it shows up over 270 times in the New Testament.

welcome-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I join ByGrace in welcoming you. What you said are facts....put a lot can be read "into" that, so what is the significance.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I get the gist of what you are saying HOWEVER is a Christian not a disciple?

Trying to learn....Mary

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I get the gist of what you are saying HOWEVER is a Christian not a disciple?

Trying to learn....Mary

No I don't believe so.
A christian can be a pew filler, as are many. But with only regular church attendance and a confession to be one. ( only God knows the heart)

I see a disciple as a person who follows hard after the Lord 24/7 having a desire and passion to press onward into all that the Lord has for us.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I don't believe so.
A christian can be a pew filler, as are many. But with only regular church attendance and a confession to be one. ( only God knows the heart)

I see a disciple as a person who follows hard after the Lord 24/7 having a desire and passion to press onward into all that the Lord has for us.

Hmm..

I must disagree here.

I see Christianity as being a discipline. I know it is popular to downplay this aspect by portraying it as a mechanical, empty liturgical exercise that dead Catholics do on Sundays; however engaging in regular prayer, scheduled fellowship and methodical Christian education (studying the Bible, Church history, and the writings of Christian saints) is life giving and most certainly, a discipline. Indeed, mixing up the idea of ‘working for our salvation’ with healthy Christian discipline disrupts our sanctification

Last edited:
Reactions: Philip James

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When is a Christian not a Christian?

Those who

- do not vote for or support Trump
- reject language that is exclusive or hurtful towards others
- vote for candidates that are democrats
- understand that conservative Christianity is not the only religion in America
- know that consequentialism is immoral
- recognize the difference between Christian culture and true Christianity
- reject the practice of idolizing the ‘biggest bully on the block’
- do not shy away from pointing out any of the above practices
- recognize the church as a visible, authoritative institution established by Christ
- pray to anyone other than God
- share in receiving the Real Presence during communion
- view the Bible as inspired rather than dictated by God
- recognize humanity as created good and Fallen rather than utterly depraved

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, from what I read here, Jesus does not say to NEVER judge but to judge rightly, as we will be judged as we judge others...especially Christians. Seems kind of simple to me. :)

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.” –Matthew 7:1-5

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When is a Christian not a Christian?

Those who

- do not vote for or support Trump
- reject language that is exclusive or hurtful towards others
- vote for candidates that are democrats