When is the last time you told a lie?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only part that I disagree with you about is that didn't Jesus go to Hell first when He took our punishment on our behalf? Or is that a myth?

Yes and he did it to preach as a mission also, not that he earned it, it was an act of mercy for us, you got that correct as far as I understand it.

Reactions: April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and he did it to preach as a mission, not that he earned it, it was an act of mercy for us, you got that correct as far as I understand it.

That's what people say I know, but the problem that I have with this is I don't remember seeing it in the Bible. :/

Reactions: dev553344

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I mean, do you believe God was just kidding when He said thou shalt not lie? I take it, you do not believe there is a hell or lake of fire?
I'm sorry but I've seen this before. Threats of hell and damnation are nasty ways to express disagreements about the Bible. They say more about your misunderstanding of God . It's a turn off. I suggest you stop doing this . Otherwise you will frighten well meaning Christians and non Christians alike.
You need to think more deeply about the Commandments. They are there to guide us, help us, not traumatise us with legalism. Learn the Spirit of the NT, which is non condemning.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again I repeat, although it doesn't excuse them from the law Christians who lie aren't accountable to the law.

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't assert that white lies are always manipulative, but I'm sure they are anyways. You think Jesus lied? He gave parables that were a form of the truth. But it sounds like you need to get to know who Jesus is:

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Saying he lied is blasphemy and against forum rules.
You mean well sir. But I'm not sure we are going to agree on everything or see eye to eye. Take care.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 12:40, 1 Peter 3:19

Thanks as the second verse you quoted makes sense, but how do you know that the first one isn't speaking of a physical death where the body is buried? (Even though Jesus' body was put in a tomb granted but they might have not known that originally.) Sorry, getting a bit off topic I know.

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean well sir. But I'm not sure we are going to agree on everything or see eye to eye. Take care.
While I doubt you're going to the lake of fire for creating an illusion for your fathers looks, perhaps ask yourself if it was in fact a lie, or perhaps the lie was you thinking about regarding image as good or bad, we should be honest with ourselves and God.

John 7:24

Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks as the second verse you quoted makes sense, but how do you know that the first one isn't speaking of a physical death where the body is buried? (Even though Jesus' body was put in a tomb granted but they might have not known that originally.) Sorry, getting a bit off topic I know.
Heart of the earth I take literal as the center of it, there are the parables of spirit prison being fiery to burn the tongue, where's the fire of hell if not in the earth? Look up Luke 16:19-31. Too many people deny hell exists in my opinion and drop literal interpretations for their own creation of the bible.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heart of the earth I take literal as the center of it, there are the parables of spirit prison being fiery to burn the tongue, where's the fire of hell if not in the earth? Look up Luke 16:19-31. Too many people deny hell exists in my opinion and drop literal interpretations for their own creation of the bible.

I'm not quite sure what you mean but I think that I'm going to make a whole new topic for this.

Reactions: marks and dev553344

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No matter how you paint it, a lie is a lie and the Word of God says that all liars will have their part in the lake of fire. So I'd suggest not to be willfully breaking His commandments.

Hebrews 10:26-29 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ²⁶ For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, ²⁷ But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. ²⁸ He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: ²⁹ Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
You are certainly correct but consider all possible circumstances and even the example of Rahab the harlot in Jericho [Joshua 2] who effectively lied as men count lying to save the Hebrew spies?

"By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace." Heb 11:31

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are certainly correct but consider all possible circumstances and even the example of Rahab the harlot in Jericho [Joshua 2] who effectively lied as men count lying to save the Hebrew spies?

"By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace." Heb 11:31
Yes ...her honor was not in the lie but in that she received the spies.

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just to clarify ...I'm not promoting deception.
I'm questioning black and white directives
" Do not lie".
I think above all we should be honest with ourselves. Know when we are telling a white lie. And for what reason. My reason in the OP was to cheer up my father.
Intention is crucial. If our intention is to boost our own profile, then that is highly sinful.

Reactions: marks

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've also seen the case of when someone lies in a war time situation.
"Are you hiding any Jews"
" No sir. Of course not"
The intention is to save and protect lives.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Also, Abraham lied when he said Sarah was his sister. King David lied to Ahimelech. But, they were also human and, did what they thought prudent at the time. Not sure I'd say they did not have faith in God but just...took an action for the better good?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
" No sir. Of course not"
The person could have held their tongue. Their home would be searched regardless. But in cases such as that, a person's automatic response might be to lie. I don't think that is a case of habitual and willful sinning.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
" No sir. Of course not"
I've seen the case of storytelling in movies and music. These are also entertaining lies. Maybe children think some of it's true?
Zg4KWHc.gif