When is the last time you told a lie?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I told my Dad he was looking sharp the other day. I wanted to cheer him up. He had been a little sad recently. Struggles at work apparently. He's a good man but gets down sometimes.
He didn't really look sharp but I wanted to give him a boost. He looked ok. Nothing special.
You thinks lies like this are evil? I believe lies help life run more smoothly. And can even cheer others up. The lies have to have some truth though. To be believable.

The bible says not to hear false witness. It doesn't sound like you are bearing false witness against somebody but rather encouraging them.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible says not to hear false witness. It doesn't sound like you are bearing false witness against somebody but rather encouraging them.
I would say just point them to hope in JESUS . If i were down trodden
I would leap for joy IF my son or daughter said , Hey dad , REMEMBER ALL THE HOPE WE HAVE IN JESUS and dont focus on this world .
THAT is far better to tell someone .

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No matter how you paint it, a lie is a lie and the Word of God says that all liars will have their part in the lake of fire. So I'd suggest not to be willfully breaking His commandments.

Hebrews 10:26-29 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ²⁶ For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, ²⁷ But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. ²⁸ He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: ²⁹ Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Not if you were hiding Jews in your home and the Nazis invaded and asked you if you had Jews and you said to them "nein." I can't see how God would condemn a lie like that

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think about what a lie does . IT feeds the flesh . I am not attacking the person who wrote this , but rather pointing to how we ought to be .
POINT to CHRIST . God will give us words . Now let the glorious LORD be praised my friend .

Reactions: Nancy

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not if you were hiding Jews in your home and the Nazis invaded and asked you if you had Jews and you said to them "nein." I can't see how God would condemn a lie like that
ON this point you are correct . RAHAB told a lie to protect the men of israel . That is not really the same thing as lying against the truth .
Other than that , we ought not to ever lie . not once .

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I told my Dad he was looking sharp the other day. I wanted to cheer him up. He had been a little sad recently. Struggles at work apparently. He's a good man but gets down sometimes.
He didn't really look sharp but I wanted to give him a boost. He looked ok. Nothing special.
You thinks lies like this are evil? I believe lies help life run more smoothly. And can even cheer others up. The lies have to have some truth though. To be believable.
When is the last time you told a lie?
The question then becomes are you doing it out of love, or something else?

What is the motive behind when speaking these to whoever.

If the need felt as to cheer someone up? Could go further into deeper talk with Dad/Mom/Brother/Sister/Friend/Stranger

Are you saying it out of attention for oneself?
Are you saying it out of the care of the individual?
The only good encouragement (to me) would be to ask to share scripture (if you are a believer) give encouragement and trust in God and Jesus ; and talk about the holy spirit ; patience, kindness, gentleness, forgiveness, forbearance, love, joy, mercy towards others, longsuffering towards others, prayer.

That would be the main question: Why am I saying the things am I saying : Is there a purpose? Is there no purpose? Is this saying this useful? Is saying this not useful?

Would you add something else to this line of thinking?

Thank you for bring up your story, and this thread,
With love in Christ,
Matthew G.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When my mother in law had a stroke, she forgot that her other daughter had died from cancer 7 years before. We quickly learned that mentioning Karen's death would cause that fresh grief! Realizing the anguish she was experiencing even caused me to wonder if that wasn't cruel! But the truth was that she had never recovered from Karen's death, and her stroke has wiped it away from her mind.

But what to tell her? We got creative. "She couldn't be here today." "I couldn't get in touch with her, but I'll be seeing her later." Like that.

Much love!
If karen was a believer you could say she is resting at her Home and cannot be reached at the moment . CAUSE BEING WITH JESUS IS HOME .
THERE is no lie in that . Yep . I guess if she was an unbeliever you could say , i dont know where she is , cause we dont know
if one repented at the end or not , unless we were there of course to see it .

Reactions: marks

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't rule that out, since God delivered Rahab who hid the spies. I also can't rule out that that God may move powerfully when someone doesn't lie. I have heard testimonies of that as well.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ON this point you are correct . RAHAB told a lie to protect the men of israel . That is not really the same thing as lying against the truth .
Other than that , we ought not to ever lie . not once .

And David pretended to be insane out of fear of the Philistines while running from King Saul. Was he in a sense lying? I would say that no, not lying but self preservation...?

I Samuel 21:13
"And he changed his behaviour before them, and feigned himself mad in their hands, and scrabbled on the doors of the gate, and let his spittle fall down upon his beard."

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And David pretended to be insane out of fear of the Philistines while running from King Saul. Was he in a sense lying? I would say that no, not lying but self preservation...?

I Samuel 21:13
"And he changed his behaviour before them, and feigned himself mad in their hands, and scrabbled on the doors of the gate, and let his spittle fall down upon his beard."
Great example. But you know ...we're all fallen. lol

David did a lot of things we shouldn't copy. lol

Do we have any examples of God overlooking lying in the New Testament?

God winked at a lot of things in the OT.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I'm not fallen...I'm perfect! Believe me...I wouldn't lie to you! Lol

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No maam we do NOT have anything in the NT where God (who hates lying...) overlooks it. And yes sister, David sure did do allot of things we should NEVER do! Lol.

Yes, God did overlook much in the O.T. After all, they did all the hard work for us, really, lol. We wouldn't even have the scriptures if it weren't for the O.T. saints, amen!
xo

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how come he didn't wink at Eve taking the fruit ?
Bc they were created sinless ... that's my thinking anyway. He might have if she had been told the exact truth by Adam. God told Adam to keep the garden and he didn't. He also told Adam that in the day that he ate of that tree, he would die. The instruction wasn't not to touch it ....it was not to eat it. So when Eve touched the fruit and she didn't die, she began to doubt. She was deceived. Adam willfully sinned. I guess God couldn't wink at willful sin.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last time I told a lie was yesterday... No wait... Here's an update... I just lied.

Lies don't really make things easier or make life more smooth. They just temporarily put things off in cases like you are speaking. Chances are your dad really didn't believe it anyway... But if you have a fashion sense, could you have not gone to his closet and suggest something better?

Years ago my wife and I had a dinner guest and we tried a new recipe. We were critiquing the meal and our guest was surprised that we decided the meal could've been better if we added this or took away that. But that's how my wife and I are with cooking. It was strange to him that we would be honest, and I understand that.

Its best to always be truthful, but yes... We end up telling little lies every now and then to spare feelings. Still, no... Its not good.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@TLHKAJ Some of the stuff that David did in relation to Psalm 51, for instance, was not a good idea, to say the least....

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ Some of the stuff that David did in relation to Psalm 51, for instance, was not a good idea, to say the least....
Psalm 51 is one of my favorite Psalms. It is a prayer of repentance. The Lord taught me to pray His Word ...because then we know we are praying according to His will. And His Word will not return to Him void.

One thing David did well, that we all can follow, is repentance. He was a man after God's heart. That's what God is looking for ....a people who are after His heart. ❤️

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Psalm 51 is one of my favorite Psalms. It is a prayer of repentance. The Lord taught me to pray His Word ...because then we know we are praying according to His will. And His Word will not return to Him void.

One thing David did well, that we all can follow, is repentance. He was a man after God's heart. That's what God is looking for ....a people who are after His heart. ❤️
@TLHKAJ Such a searching Psalm, right? There is a musical version by Allegri...