When Mary called her little Boy in to supper, what did she call Him?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
I'm pretty sure she didn't call Him Jesus. As I understand it, there was no "J" in the Greek or the Hebrew at that time...I am appealing here to the scholars among us, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this.
Evidently, Jesus' actual name would have been something like "Yehoshua", which would translate in English to "Joshua". Again, I am depending on the scholars among us to verify this for me?

My question, then, is this.
Where did the name "Jesus" actually come from?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am far from a scholar yet I believe this to be brief and accurate...

Yeshua (ישוע, with vowel pointing יֵשׁוּעַ – yēšūă‘ in Hebrew)[1] was a common alternative form of the name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ ("Yehoshuah" – Joshua) in later books of the Hebrew Bible and among Jews of the Second Temple period. Meaning "salvation" in Hebrew, it was also the most common form of the name Jesus hence the name corresponds to the Greek spelling Iesous, from which, through the Latin Iesus, comes the English spelling Jesus.[2][3]

This is from Wiki...

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
justaname said:
I am far from a scholar yet I believe this to be brief and accurate...

Yeshua (ישוע, with vowel pointing יֵשׁוּעַ – yēšūă‘ in Hebrew)[1] was a common alternative form of the name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ ("Yehoshuah" – Joshua) in later books of the Hebrew Bible and among Jews of the Second Temple period. Meaning "salvation" in Hebrew, it was also the most common form of the name Jesus hence the name corresponds to the Greek spelling Iesous, from which, through the Latin Iesus, comes the English spelling Jesus.[2][3]

This is from Wiki...
I saw that from Wiki, too.
What interested me was a couple of sites that seemed to have the idea that our modern term "Jesus" originally came from the Greek god, Zeus.
I'm pretty sure that if anyone here knows whether that it so or not, it would be you, Justaname, or maybe Wormwood or Oz....
I've always wondered, myself, how we got the name "Jesus", since, as I said in the OP, it is pretty obvious that this is NOT the name the angel gave to Mary.

Anyhow, Justaname, thank you for answering.... :wub:

B

brakelite

There are some groups who do claim the name 'Jesus' is a pagan derivative, and are quite adamant in their condemnation of those using it. Personally, I like the name 'Jeshua'...it is so much more original, and I think its a pity that the translators felt the need to transliterate a Hebrew name into Greek...yet local language translations seem to give local names instead of the original. There are some instances in language where one is given a a name in a native tongue that corresponds to an English name, such as local Maori naming a son Hoani , Hemi, or Hohepa, which are John, James, and Joseph. All the original names in the Maori Bible are given Maori transliterations. Jesus Christ becomes Ihu Karaiti, I do not think however that God condemns anyone for using 'Jesus'. A warped sense of the character of God seeks such demands for accuracy.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
brakelite said:
There are some groups who do claim the name 'Jesus' is a pagan derivative, and are quite adamant in their condemnation of those using it. Personally, I like the name 'Jeshua'...it is so much more original, and I think its a pity that the translators felt the need to transliterate a Hebrew name into Greek...yet local language translations seem to give local names instead of the original. There are some instances in language where one is given a a name in a native tongue that corresponds to an English name, such as local Maori naming a son Hoani , Hemi, or Hohepa, which are John, James, and Joseph. All the original names in the Maori Bible are given Maori transliterations. Jesus Christ becomes Ihu Karaiti, I do not think however that God condemns anyone for using 'Jesus'. A warped sense of the character of God seeks such demands for accuracy.
I'm pretty sure that God is concerned with what is in our hearts. Getting hung up on a name is something humans might do, but God, I'm sure, is above that kind of petty foolishness. I don't think it matters a bit whether we call Him Jesus, or Jeshua (I kind of like that one, myself), or even ihu Karaiti...as long as we know Him as Lord.

Anyhow, I appreciate you taking the time to answer this for me.
ihu Karaiti....I never heard that one before.
Of course, I've never met anyone who speaks Maori, either.
I guess I just need to get out more....

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Actually it is Yeshua, I could tell you how I know but I doubt anyone would believe me.

Anyone ever asked Him??

B

brakelite

John 13:9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head......13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
She would have called him 'Yeshua'.

'Jesus' comes from the Greek form of his name - Iesous - which is how it is always written in the original Greek New Testament. The Greeks evidently found it easier to pronounce Hebrew names if they were altered slightly. In particular, names ending in a vowel sound got an 's' tacked on the end. So 'isaiah' became 'isaias' and 'Elijah' became 'Elias' and so on.

The idea that the name 'Jesus' is linked to 'Zeus' is based purely on the similarity of endings - which has far more to do with the rules of the Greek language than with any actual relationship between the two.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
brakelite said:
John 13:9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head......13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
And His name shall be called
Wonderful
Counselor
The Mighty God
The Everlasting Father...
...and my personal favorite...
The Prince of Peace.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Deborah_ said:
She would have called him 'Yeshua'.

'Jesus' comes from the Greek form of his name - Iesous - which is how it is always written in the original Greek New Testament. The Greeks evidently found it easier to pronounce Hebrew names if they were altered slightly. In particular, names ending in a vowel sound got an 's' tacked on the end. So 'isaiah' became 'isaias' and 'Elijah' became 'Elias' and so on.

The idea that the name 'Jesus' is linked to 'Zeus' is based purely on the similarity of endings - which has far more to do with the rules of the Greek language than with any actual relationship between the two.
The similarity of endings would apply to just about any male name in Latin or Greek, wouldn't it? By the time Jesus came, Alexander had done his thing, and wept because there were no more worlds to conquer, and then the Romans took up where Alex left off...and anybody who was anybody had a Greek slave who taught their children.
I never could figure out how Iesous got to be Jesus, though. Except for the "us" on the end, I don't see any similarity.

Of course, there is the fact that Zeus was the king of the Greek gods...
And he had a son, too, didn't he? None of that virgin business for ol' Zeus, though...he got Hercules in the regular way...he had godly sex with a married woman...
Greek Mythology 101. For some reason, it went along with the year of Latin I took back in high school.
Of course, if you didn't get it in school, there was that Disney movie.

I love the name Yeshua. It means "The Lord's Salvation". Remember Joshua of Nun? He would also have been Yeshua in his native tongue...

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A related question would be, "What would He, as a toddler, have called her?" "mommy?'
It's a trick question because Aramaic speaking children don't say "mommy", the say "memee".