Where did God come from? - The answer to a frequent question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
The term "spirit" refers to anything not made from the "dust of the earth", or from the elements of our plain of existence. This is about as much as anyone can legitimately claim to know about it.

Interesting take.
I approached the term is relation to its roots from the Greek word Pneuma (πνεῦμα), which was a word used to describe the wind and literally meant "breath", and was regularly translated as "spirit".

Reactions: Brakelite

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting take.
I approached the term is relation to its roots from the Greek word Pneuma (πνεῦμα), which was a word used to describe the wind and literally meant "breath", and was regularly translated as "spirit".

True, the word is often also used to refer to wind as well. I believe this is the case because "wind" or "breath" is the best thing they can compare the "spirit" to. Its not something that can be studied under a microscope, so this comparison is the easiest way one can comprehend it.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Right, it amazes me how people pretend to know so much about how the spirit realm works and how its supposed to be able to interact with our terrestrial environment, who will then poop all over eye witness testimony affirming its characteristics. This is why I have a very hard time taking many so called "believers" seriously. They expose themselves every day how they really don't believe in the thing they claim to believe in all that much. Instead of letting the book speak for itself, people would much rather inject their own personal opinions, viewpoints on it.
And in rejecting personal testimony... Either an eye witness account or personal experience or both... They are as much calling the one who testified a false witness, or deluded/deceived. Yet the testimony of scripture is redolent with real time evidential experiential events that reveal the very real and palpably harrowing accounts of many having direct contact with the spiritual realm. There is absolutely no biblical evidence or teaching that this should not continue throughout the Christian era, and reams of evidence that it has, and will continue to do so until Christ comes.
That said, there are also many who do not hold a balanced view, and have led many, even entire churches, into all manner of strange and ridiculous practices. The lining up of congregants upon the stage and spitting demons into buckets was one such from the 1970s in an AoG church in Auckland New Zealand.

Reactions: Dcopymope

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interesting take.

True, the word is often also used to refer to wind as well. I believe this is the case because "wind" or "breath" is the best thing they can compare the "spirit" to. Its not something that can be studied under a microscope, so this comparison is the easiest way one can comprehend it.
Compare the creation when God breathed into man/dust the breath of life and man became a living soul. The breath/spirit was not a pre-existing entity with it's own personality before entering the man. And there is no evidence that the spirit gains it's own personality or life without the body/dust after death. Now consider the incident when Jesus breathed upon His disciples and they were filled with the Holy Spirit and empowered to work miracles and cast out demons. The actual transaction that transpires when we are "filled with the Spirit of God' is not described in any detail. We do not know precisely how it occurs, we only take God's word that it is so, and we experience the blessed results. We in some way become united with the Divine without becoming Divine ourselves. Yet the power of deity is manifest in our lives. This is what I believe Paul referred to as the fellowship of the Spirit in Phil.2:1. And one cannot of fellowship with anything that isn't a personality... Can we?

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Compare the creation when God breathed into man/dust the breath of life and man became a living soul. The breath/spirit was not a pre-existing entity with it's own personality before entering the man. And there is no evidence that the spirit gains it's own personality or life without the body/dust after death. Now consider the incident when Jesus breathed upon His disciples and they were filled with the Holy Spirit and empowered to work miracles and cast out demons. The actual transaction that transpires when we are "filled with the Spirit of God' is not described in any detail. We do not know precisely how it occurs, we only take God's word that it is so, and we experience the blessed results. We in some way become united with the Divine without becoming Divine ourselves. Yet the power of deity is manifest in our lives. This is what I believe Paul referred to as the fellowship of the Spirit in Phil.2:1. And one cannot of fellowship with anything that isn't a personality... Can we?

Perhaps this is so, the body without the spirit is like a computer without a bios and operating system. You can't have one without the other after all. It just shows that a "spirit" can take on any form or functionality God wants it to.

Reactions: Brakelite