Where did Jesus go when he died?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He said to the man next to him on the cross "TODAY YOU WILL BE IN PARADISE". That is where He went. Luke 16 explains that there were two locations after death, Hades, (the underworld) and Paradise, separated by a great gulf/chasm. The story about the Rich man and Lazarus was not a parable. Parable never use Amesbury of real people nor do they fictionalized abstract locations that don't exist to symbolically mean something in real life. Abraham was there and those who lived by faith. He would greet you with a hug next to his bosom. Jesus went there and upon His resurrection, heaven opened and he took them all to heaven. His sacrificial atonement was imputed to all the Old Testament saints.
Jesus' body was in the tomb, but not His spirit. So if this is coming from a JW, well that explains your error. Or if it is coming from a SDA, wrong too.
Well said!!!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And here on this thread, we have proof of the separation of “the sheep from the goats”…..by what we accept as truth, Jesus will respond and judge us accordingly. Those who love what is not truth, will not be around to lament their decisions after the judgment.

Rejecting the truth does not justify a delusion. (2 Thess 2:9-12)

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And here on this thread, we have proof of the separation of “the sheep from the goats”…..by what we accept as truth, Jesus will respond and judge us accordingly. Those who love what is not truth, will not be around to lament their decisions after the judgment.

Rejecting the truth does not justify a delusion. (2 Thess 2:9-12)
Why do JW's TWIST nearly every verse in the Christian Bible? Kingdom Hall training?

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
There is not one whit of biblical evidence that the rebellious Cherubs, Seraphs and angles have a chance of salvation. That is opinion not based on any biblical evidence.
Seriously friend!

So why did Jesus visit them, just to have a chit chat?

First of all, would kindly appreciate if readers would study and perceive the context which starts from verse 18. Next, verse 19, what do you possible think He proclaimed?

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seriously friend!

So why did Jesus visit them, just to have a chit chat?

First of all, would kindly appreciate if readers would study and perceive the context which starts from verse 18. Next, verse 19, what do you possible think He proclaimed?
He did not visit the angelic beings, He visited the righteous souls in Abrahams bosom . there is some room to understand this as He went and announced judgment to the angels who left their first estate and had sex with women in Gen. 6, but that is only a slight possibility. For those angels are reserved in chains of darkness awaiting the lake of fire.

More likely He heralded peoples salvation because now Jesus blood had been shed and poured out on the mercy seat in heaven.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Hmm, no answer. Sounds like a JW answer!
Don't flatter your self, am from a different time zone, so my reply apparently according to our day time.

Or probably, i don't want to debate with you. since you're from a different denomination believe, pointless.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Peter3:18-20, according to this quote, Jesus being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit. In which He went down and proclaimed redemption to the spirits in prison. These spirits who formerly did not obey, and when GOD's patience waited in the days of Noah. While the ark was being prepared, ......
That verse is a head-scratcher.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, where did Jesus go when he died? Simple answer: Jesus didn’t go anywhere when he died. He was dead in the tomb.

We read in Isaiah’s prophecy that Jesus “poured out His soul unto death,” that His soul was made “an offering for sin.” (Isaiah 53:12, 10.) Then again we read, “Thou wilt not leave my soul in Sheol [meaning the grave (sometimes mistranslated hell)]; neither wilt Thou suffer Thine Holy One to see corruption.” (Psalm 16:10.) The Apostle Peter quoted this same prophesy in Acts 2:27 (NKJV), “For You will not leave my (Jesus’) soul in Hades, Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption,” Acts 2:27 (NKJV). These two verses prove the equivalency that sheol (Hebrew) = hades (Greek). But what is the condition of death or sheol or hades?

Jesus’ friend, Lazarus, was ill. Jesus said to his disciples, “‘Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.’ Then His disciples said, ‘Lord, if he sleeps he will get well,’” John 11:11,12 (NKJV). Jesus finally spoke plainly, and said, “ Lazarus is dead,” John 11:14.

The sleep of death is explained in the Old Testament, “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no activity or planning or knowledge or wisdom in the grave (Sheol) where you are going,” Ecclesiastes 9:10. Jesus was in the grave, in the “sleep of death,” (sheol or hades) parts of three days.

It states in Ephesians 1:20 that it took God’s mighty power to raise Jesus from the dead, and set him at His own right hand. What a joy to know that Jesus did not remain in the death-state but was raised the firstborn from the dead. Because of this, we all have the hope of a resurrection in due time. (John 5:25-29; 1 Corinthians 15)

In summary, the man Christ Jesus, our Savior, died at 33½ years, was dead, buried in the grave for parts of three days, and was resurrected on the third day.
Nice job in writing this so accurately.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
He did not visit the angelic beings, He visited the righteous souls in Abrahams bosom . there is some room to understand this as He went and announced judgment to the angels who left their first estate and had sex with women in Gen. 6, but that is only a slight possibility. For those angels are reserved in chains of darkness awaiting the lake of fire.
One moment you say, He did not visit the angelic beings. And then, he announced judgement to the angels. Finally, they were those angels bound in chains awaiting the lake of fire.

To an inconsistent testimony, how can furthermore testament be tangible to take note of?

Nevertheless, you say CHRIST announced judgement on these angels to lake of fire. But i bear witness in context to verse 18, and testify CHRIST announced redemption to the angels as well.

They disobeyed in days of Noah and fall short of the Glory of GOD, like us have disobeyed and in chains. Apparently, it was a time of Glad Tidings, Grace and Truth, for the remission of sins He was in the grave, and not for judgement.

Sticking with that, sound tangible with the Scriptures, no thank you.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is that?
Where's this prison? Why preach to spirits? Why these particular spirits? Were these human spirits, fallen angels, or some other unknown spiritual creatures? Why were they imprisoned? What did He preach? Did the spirits respond to the preaching, and if so, how? Did they get released from prison? Who else did He preach to? What is the significance of this incident that it should get any mention at all? How does Peter know this?

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't flatter your self,
I didn't. I 'flatter' the written Word of God, the Christian Bible!
am from a different time zone, so my reply apparently according to our day time.

Or probably, i don't want to debate with you. since you're from a different denomination believe, pointless.
I'm just a Bible defender.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Where's this prison?
All i can testify is, it's in a different spiritual dimension.
Why preach to spirits? Why these particular spirits?
Because they were too sons of GOD, but in Heaven (Genesis 6:2&4)
Were these human spirits, fallen angels, or some other unknown spiritual creatures?
Fallen spirits or angels (Hebrews 1:13&14)
Why were they imprisoned?
Disobedience, lusted after the daughters of men here on earth. In violation they left their designated positions in Heaven, came down to marry the daughters of men, as any they chose. And read more.......(1 Peter 3:20 / Genesis 6:2-7)
What did He preach?
Glad Tidings, Grace and Truth, based on, 1 Peter 3:18
Did the spirits respond to the preaching, and if so, how? Did they get released from prison? Who else did He preach to?
No account of these
What is the significance of this incident that it should get any mention at all?
To me i witness based on this, Salvation was not only for the fallen sons of man here on earth. Salvation is also for fallen sons of GOD in Heaven.
How does Peter know this?
Remember those of Christ, the church, where young men have visions and older men have dreams, receiving revelation.