Where do aborted babies go?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where do you think aborted babies go?

• Heaven

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • Hell

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Jesus let us know that young children are still innocent of sin to God, by saying unless we are converted and become as little children, we won’t enter heaven.
Babies may not have outwardly committed a sin, but this is totally beside the point. We all, from conception, share in the sinful condition of all of humanity ~ we are conceived in sin, as David says of himself in Psalm 51 ("...in sin did my mother conceive me"). We all inherit this sinful condition that our first parents, Adam and Eve, fell into, the day they ate of the fruit of the forbidden tree. To get a bit more specific, God told Adam and Eve that they would surely die the very day they ate of the tree, if they did (Genesis 2:17). And die they did, just as God said they would ~ not physically, but spiritually. They became dead in sin and in need of God's salvation. And we all inherit this sinful condition ~ we are dead in sin ~ even from our very beginning and are in need of God's salvation (regardless of age, and regardless whether we have outwardly sinned yet). We have to receive ~ be given, actually, a heart of flesh, a new spirit, new life in the Spirit in order to be...

* made alive with other believers with Christ... raised up with Christ in His resurrection and ascension and seated with Christ in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Paul, Ephesians 2)

* caused to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for us, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time (1 Peter 1)​

...to inherit eternal life.

So, again, God can save a person ~ change his or her heart, according to His purpose/will ~ at any age, even in the womb. This is what God does for His elect. We cannot assume that all babies are members of God's elect. They may be, but I think the only thing we can really say about babies going to heaven is, maybe, but maybe not. Where do babies go? Well, it depends on the condition of the heart, which depends on God Himself, who creates some for honorable use (vessels of mercy, prepared beforehand for glory) and others for dishonorable use (vessels of wrath, prepared beforehand for destruction). This is Romans 9. So the best we can answer is, one of two places. Which probably sounds kind of cold, but it is what it is.

Grace and peace to all.

Reactions: Scott Downey

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I did get it, but dismissed it, because it's not valid. Like I said, one could make the argument ~ but it would of course be ridiculous ~ that a person is not fully formed until he or she reaches and passes through puberty. And that would rule out anyone under the age of about eleven years old. Yeah, ridiculous, right? I don't think you're saying a person is not a person until he or she is an adult, but that's really where your views on this end up, whether intentionally or not.

LOL irrelevant gobbledegook.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, to you. I fully expected that. It bothers me not. Truth is still truth, regardless of what one thinks of it.

Grace and peace to you.

Truths have multiple sources.

Gods Truth, is man was fully formed, out of the dust of the Earth, called formED, (which is known accomplished) and then received Gods breath of Life in the nostrils of fully formED, man. <—- Scriptural, my preference.

Mans Truth...a “person” can be born or unborn.<—mans truth your preference
Mans Truth...a “person” can be a corporation.
Mans Truth...a “person” can be an office.
Mans Truth...a “person” can be a human.
Mans Truth...a “person” can be umpteen different things, according to the philosophies of umpteen different men.

God is the source of His Truth.
Man is the source of his truth, less he adopt Gods Truth.

Glory to God,
Taken

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truths have multiple sources.
But only if, from those multiple sources, they are all perfectly congruent, can they all be the truth. If they are not all congruent, they cannot all be the truth, and it is then possible that none of them are. Unless, of course, one of those is what God says. And then only those that are perfectly congruent with that can be described as truths ~ unless in describing them as such you surround 'truth' with quotation marks, indicating their incongruence with the truth.

Gods Truth, is man was fully formed, out of the dust of the Earth, called formED, (which is known accomplished) and then received Gods breath of Life in the nostrils of fully formED, man.
See, God said what He said, if you add to it and therefore make it something different than what He said, then it becomes an non-truth. Now, I know this is your opinion (yes, opinion) regarding what He said, so you're not intentionally propagating a non-truth. Indeed, you think ~ in your opinion ~ you are clarifying what God said, but it is what it is.

God is the source of His Truth.
Agreed.

Man is the source of his truth, less he adopt Gods Truth.
Well, in which case man's "truth" is something at least quite different than God's truth, which is really the only truth there is.

Glory to God."
Indeed!

Grace and peace to you.,
Taken[/QUOTE]

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It hasn't happened yet though. It's only a possibility.
God is on the throne, and works all things that occur according to His purposes, including abortions, stillbirths, death in infancy, deaths of young children.
Scripture tells us Jesus blessed little infants and young children and the kingdom of God belongs to such as those, so I have no doubt about them being in heaven. They are elect, but of course they grow up and do terrible things sinning against the laws of God, and are then going to hell.

Mark 10, 13 Then they brought little children to Him, that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked those who brought them. 14 But when Jesus saw it, He was greatly displeased and said to them, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. 15 Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.” 16 And He took them up in His arms, laid His hands on them, and blessed them.

But God holds the life of everyone in His hands. He knows what He is doing. If a baby is elect and it dies, it goes to heaven, an unelect baby gets to grow up, sin, and go to hell is the most basic understanding. And an unelect person won't die until they consciously reject God's laws and sin, elect means those who are elect unto salvation, the redeemed of the Lord. We just don't know all the individual persons details.

example Psalm 139

13 For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.

17 How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How great is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand;
When I awake, I am still with You.

19 Oh, that You would slay the wicked, O God!
Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men.
20 For they speak against You wickedly;
Your enemies take Your name in vain.
21 Do I not hate them, O Lord, who hate You?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred;
I count them my enemies.

Last edited:

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your most recent post is very good, Scott, except for this:

an unelect baby gets to grow up, sin, and go to hell... an unelect person won't die until they consciously reject God's laws and sin...

Because of the sinful nature that the baby has inherited, whether he or she has actually committed a sin of his or her own is irrelevant. At conception, because of this inherited condition they already fall short of God's glory and are already guilty of transgressing God's standard of perfection/sinlessness. Outward acts of sin are only consequences of the condition of the heart ~ not to minimize outward sin in any way, but the condition of the heart is the issue, and from conception, we are in need of a new one. :) That's the issue. And so, it depends on God and whether He extends mercy ~ which He may or may not do regardless of age ~ and not on the person's conscious rejection or acceptance (it does not depend on human will or exertion; Romans 9:16). This is true for all people, from conception to death.

Grace and peace to you!

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your most recent post is very good, Scott, except for this:

Because of the sinful nature that the baby has inherited, whether he or she has actually committed a sin of his or her own is irrelevant. At conception, because of this inherited condition they already fall short of God's glory and are already guilty of transgressing God's standard of perfection/sinlessness. Outward acts of sin are only consequences of the condition of the heart ~ not to minimize outward sin in any way, but the condition of the heart is the issue, and from conception, we are in need of a new one. :) That's the issue. And so, it depends on God and whether He extends mercy ~ which He may or may not do regardless of age ~ and not on the person's conscious rejection or acceptance (it does not depend on human will or exertion; Romans 9:16). This is true for all people, from conception to death.

Grace and peace to you!

All babies must be born again to go to heaven. Since God does that work independent of ourselves, it is no problem for anyone to become born again when God wills it. Recall, God is no respecter of persons, he does not make us born again according to our will or knowledge.

Example, you have to view the order of events here, and v13
John 1
10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:

13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Not born of the will of the flesh or will of the man, born of God, first, then they receive Him.
The reason they receive Him as Lord in their hearts, is because He made them born of God.

I know this order is contrary to what many people think, that they chose God first, however the reason we love God , is because God loved us first.
1 John 4:19
We love Him because He first loved us.

And those He loves, He makes born of God, God did that while we were basically children of wrath ad following Satan.

And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure myself when the spirit enters a body. I think it can vary.

I believe as you say that God wants us to live in this world to change it for the better and to become better ourselves. Abortion is wrong because it cheats people out of that opportunity.
We are born spiritually dead (empty) and upon being born again we are filled with the Holy Spirit. Those not born again are subject to the flesh and the soul. Born again Christians are filled with the Spirit and demote the flesh now being led by the Holy Spirit and not the flesh.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All babies must be born again to go to heaven. Since God does that work independent of ourselves, it is no problem for anyone to become born again when God wills it. Recall, God is no respecter of persons, he does not make us born again according to our will or knowledge.
Right. This is exactly what I have been saying. But you said, Scott, "an unelect baby gets to grow up, sin, and go to hell... an unelect person won't die until they consciously reject God's laws and sin..." That statement contradicts what you say here, and is therefore not correct.

Grace and peace to you.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Right. This is exactly what I have been saying. But you said, Scott, "an unelect baby gets to grow up, sin, and go to hell... an unelect person won't die until they consciously reject God's laws and sin..." That statement contradicts what you say here, and is therefore not correct.

Grace and peace to you.
Why is it incorrect exactly? We dont know if an infant is elect or not. My view is an elect infant, God may take to heaven at any time during their life, young or old, since they are elect according to foreknowledge, They are saved, and that means they cannot be lost, as they are elect.

1 Peter 1:1-3
New King James Version
Greeting to the Elect Pilgrims
1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, 2 elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ:

Grace to you and peace be multiplied.

The elect of God get peace and grace multiplied to them by God

The opposite of that in an unelect infant, I think what you are suggesting is an unelect infant would die and go to hell fire, so then infant damnation.
See, I don't really accept infant damnation, as Jesus tells us the kingdom of God belongs to the little children, so if an infant dies, they must logically according to scripture be elect. If there are unelect infants, then they cannot die till they grow up and reject the gospel, otherwise you are setting up a logical fallacy, a conundrum, not following the scripture consistently. "Just the way I view this.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is it incorrect exactly?
See below.

We dont know if an infant is elect or not.
I agree with this. We don't really know if anybody is elect or not, infant or no. But, like just regarding you and me, I surely take your word for it that you are a believer, and that you are a member of God's elect. And I'm sure you would say the same of me. But we are not members of God's elect because we believe, but rather we believe ultimately because we are members of God's elect. It depends not on the one who wills or runs, but on God.

My view is an elect infant, God may take to heaven at any time during their life, young or old...
This I agree with...

...since they are elect according to foreknowledge...
Well, because they are elect, yes, but this seems to indicate an Arminian understanding of God's foreknowledge. This is a little different thing than what I was getting at before, but I will address it here:

Paul, in Romans 8:29, says, "For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers." The common understanding of foreknowing something is to know something will happen before it happens. But that cannot be what Paul means by 'foreknew,' here, because in that sense, God foreknows everybody and everything. But Paul is talking about a specific group here; there are some who God foreknew, but not all, so, necessarily, there are some that He did not foreknow. So this foreknowledge that Paul is talking about (and Peter, since he certainly didn't write or say anything that contradicts anything Paul wrote) is something much more than the mere pre-knowledge of certain events or actions in people's lives.

So, there are many, many instances in the Bible where it talks about, for instance, a man knowing his wife ~ Adam knowing Eve, or Abraham knowing Sarah, for example. Well of course they knew who their wives were (!), but what is being said is, they... loved their wives... and their wives conceived children (Eve conceived Cain and Abel; Sarah conceived Isaac). So we should understand 'foreknew' in Romans 8:29 really as equivalent to 'fore-loved'... some were loved beforehand (before the foundation of the world, actually). This might seem on first blush that there is no difference, because God loves all His creation. Well He does, of course, but He loves some in a sovereign, distinguishing way, much the same but on a much higher level) that we fathers love our own children. Some He loved before they had done anything good or bad, as he says of Jacob above, and some he did not, regardless of what they might do, good or bad, as he says of Esau. We love everybody in a general, humanitarian sense, but we love our children in a distinguishing way, because they are our children, even before they are born.

Now. Back to what we were discussing, it works the same for people who are not members of God's elect, albeit conversely. I'm not suggesting an infant who is not of God's elect automatically goes to hell, because it's possible that they might actually be elect, in which case God would take out their heart of stone and put His Spirit in that infant before he or she actually died. God can do this for a person regardless of their having or not having "consciously reject(ed) God's laws and sin(ned)..." (that's the part of what you said that I objected to). Again, as Paul says in Romans 9:16, it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. And, some He has this mercy upon, and some He does not. Some He foreloved, and some He did not. And this applies to infants, too. And it fits with John's statement that "We love because He first loved us."

See, I don't really accept infant damnation...
Well I don't think all infants receive damnation, if that's what you were understanding me to say.

as Jesus tells us the kingdom of God belongs to the little children.
Well, but that means we all should have childlike faith... as in totally trusting of God, our Father in heaven. Right?

...so if an infant dies, they must logically according to scripture be elect.
Yeah, I disagree. I think the best we can possibly say is that some are, and some are not, which is true of all mankind.

If there are unelect infants, then they cannot die till they grow up and reject the gospel, otherwise you are setting up a logical fallacy, a conundrum, not following the scripture consistently.
Not at all. Again, Paul is very clear in Romans 9:16. It depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. And Paul makes it clear that not all will receive God's mercy.

Grace and peace to you, Scott!

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
See below.

I agree with this. We don't really know if anybody is elect or not, infant or no. But, like just regarding you and me, I surely take your word for it that you are a believer, and that you are a member of God's elect. And I'm sure you would say the same of me. But we are not members of God's elect because we believe, but rather we believe ultimately because we are members of God's elect. It depends not on the one who wills or runs, but on God.

This I agree with...

Well, because they are elect, yes, but this seems to indicate an Arminian understanding of God's foreknowledge. This is a little different thing than what I was getting at before, but I will address it here:

Paul, in Romans 8:29, says, "For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers." The common understanding of foreknowing something is to know something will happen before it happens. But that cannot be what Paul means by 'foreknew,' here, because in that sense, God foreknows everybody and everything. But Paul is talking about a specific group here; there are some who God foreknew, but not all, so, necessarily, there are some that He did not foreknow. So this foreknowledge that Paul is talking about (and Peter, since he certainly didn't write or say anything that contradicts anything Paul wrote) is something much more than the mere pre-knowledge of certain events or actions in people's lives.

So, there are many, many instances in the Bible where it talks about, for instance, a man knowing his wife ~ Adam knowing Eve, or Abraham knowing Sarah, for example. Well of course they knew who their wives were (!), but what is being said is, they... loved their wives... and their wives conceived children (Eve conceived Cain and Abel; Sarah conceived Isaac). So we should understand 'foreknew' in Romans 8:29 really as equivalent to 'fore-loved'... some were loved beforehand (before the foundation of the world, actually). This might seem on first blush that there is no difference, because God loves all His creation. Well He does, of course, but He loves some in a sovereign, distinguishing way, much the same but on a much higher level) that we fathers love our own children. Some He loved before they had done anything good or bad, as he says of Jacob above, and some he did not, regardless of what they might do, good or bad, as he says of Esau. We love everybody in a general, humanitarian sense, but we love our children in a distinguishing way, because they are our children, even before they are born.

Now. Back to what we were discussing, it works the same for people who are not members of God's elect, albeit conversely. I'm not suggesting an infant who is not of God's elect automatically goes to hell, because it's possible that they might actually be elect, in which case God would take out their heart of stone and put His Spirit in that infant before he or she actually died. God can do this for a person regardless of their having or not having "consciously reject(ed) God's laws and sin(ned)..." (that's the part of what you said that I objected to). Again, as Paul says in Romans 9:16, it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. And, some He has this mercy upon, and some He does not. Some He foreloved, and some He did not. And this applies to infants, too. And it fits with John's statement that "We love because He first loved us."

Well I don't think all infants receive damnation, if that's what you were understanding me to say.

Well, but that means we all should have childlike faith... as in totally trusting of God, our Father in heaven. Right?

Yeah, I disagree. I think the best we can possibly say is that some are, and some are not, which is true of all mankind.

Not at all. Again, Paul is very clear in Romans 9:16. It depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. And Paul makes it clear that not all will receive God's mercy.

Grace and peace to you, Scott!
The question will always be who was Jesus referring to in Mark 10 about the kingdom belonging to such as these. No doubts Christ says people need to accept the kingdom without doubting having an unquestioning belief as a little child would, but I also read it as Christ saying these little children, the kingdom belongs to them, and adults better have the same child like acceptance as the children already have.
The doctrine of original sin, there is no conflict here with infant salvation for any or all infants as there is no passive salvation, salvation is of the Lord.

Christ quotes the psalms when speaking about this here

Matthew 21,

14 Then the blind and the lame came to Him in the temple, and He healed them. 15 But when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that He did, and the children crying out in the temple and saying, “Hosanna to the Son of David!” they were [e]indignant 16 and said to Him, “Do You hear what these are saying?”

And Jesus said to them, “Yes. Have you never read,

‘Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants
You have perfected praise’?”

17 Then He left them and went out of the city to Bethany, and He lodged there.

Christ quotes from Psalm 8 which says
Psalm 8
New King James Version
The Glory of the Lord in Creation
To the Chief Musician. On the instrument of Gath. A Psalm of David.
8 O Lord, our Lord,
How excellent is Your name in all the earth,
Who have set Your glory above the heavens!

2 Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants
You have ordained strength,
Because of Your enemies,
That You may silence the enemy and the avenger.

--------------------------------------
Christ changes the words a little from Psalm 8, saying out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants, God has perfected praises to Himself, so this implies they are saved as the unsaved do not have perfected praises to God. Psalm 8, God does this to silence His enemies.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since infants are born without sin (Romans 4:15; 1 John 3:4; Romans 7:8-9) they are born innocent, pure and if they die in that innocent pure state they would be saved
We are all born in sin. THAT IS Christianity 101.
Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Psalm 58:3 The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.

If someone’s mother is an alcoholic, and they said, ‘in drunkenness did my mother conceive me’, does that mean the baby was born guilty of drunkenness?

Obviously not - therefore Psalm 51:5 isn’t a proof text that we are born already guilty of sin.

And the other psalm verse cannot be taken literally, unless there are newborns who start speaking in the delivery room, instead of just starting to say a few words at 18 months old. Thus none of them are speaking lies at birth.

That verse also is not a proof text that newborns and infants are born already damned.

Scripture says no one is guilty of the sins of their fathers - thus none of Adams children were guilty of Adams sin, and none of his kids children were guilty of Adams sins, either.

Eze 18:20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

We are judged for sins we commit, not for Adams sins - and no fetus, newborn, or infant has committed sins yet, thus everyone of them who dies in the womb or as a newborn or infant, will go to heaven without exception.

Joh 5:28 Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice

Joh 5:29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment

Last edited:
Reactions: Ernest T. Bass

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see you have side stepped my question again Curtis just like you have done when I asked if you are male or female because of discrepancies in your posts and your profile.
Now you can go to #636 post and see i state using scripture that all fetuses, newborns and infants who die, go to heaven without exception.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here’s the deal:

Scripture says no one is guilty of the sins of their fathers - thus none of Adams children were guilty of Adams sin, and none of his kids children were guilty of Adams sins, (or of their fathers sins) either.

Eze 18:20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

We are judged for sins we commit, not for Adams sins - and no fetus, newborn, or infant has committed sins yet, thus everyone of them who dies in the womb or as a newborn or infant, will go to heaven without exception.

Joh 5:28 Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice

Joh 5:29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods

Psalm 58:3 The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

Original sin is not taught in the Bible anywhere. That idea is generally credited to a uninspired men and popularized by other uninspired men as Calvin.

I cited Romans 4:15; 1 John 3:4 and Romans 7:8-9 which disprove the idea of OS making the idea of OS impossible. According to how the Bible defines sin from just these 3 verses, for a person to be a sinner requires a law for if there is no law there is no transgression (Romans 4:15). It then requires a person to transgress that law for sin to exist (1 John 3:4). And only accountable, intellectually mature people who have learned right from wrong are capable of sinning, Deuteronomy 1:39; Romans 7:8-9:

Romans 7:8-9 "For without the law sin was dead. For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died."

Paul says without law sin was dead, it has no power and Paul points out there was a time in his life when he was "without the law" meaning there was a time that Paul, being "without law", sin was dead to him, it had no power over him that time being when he was an infant/small child. As he intellectually matured learning right from wrong becoming accountable to God's law (Isaiah 7:15-16) THEN sin sprang up in him later in his life not at birth.

Notice how Paul uses the terms "alive" and "dead" in the verse referring to his spiritual state. He was born spiritually ALIVE having been born without sin, born sinless, pure, innocent and was "without law" hence sin was dead to him as a infant. Yet as he mature intellectually learning right from wrong becoming accountable to God's law THEN he sinned (then sin sprang up) and he then DIED spiritually.

IF OS were true, the Paul would have been born spiritually DEAD and remained in that spiritually dead state until he became a born again Christian. Yet his going from being alive to dead easily refutes OS (It also refutes OSAS since it claims that it is impossible to go from spiritually alive to spiritually dead). OS tries to make one a sinner before one even sins, a logical, Biblical impossibility.

Neither verse you cite from Psalms say David was born a sinner nor would they contradict Romans 4:15; 1 John 3:4 or Romans 7:8-9.

Your first problem is Psa 51 speaks about conception while Psa 58 speaks about birth. Conception and birth are two distinct points separated by about 9 months. If one is conceived a sinner per Psa 51 then one cannot be born a sinner per Psa 58 because he already is a sinner. Yet if one is not a sinner till birth then he cannot be a sinner at conception. Pressing for literal language in these two verses causes a clear contradiction.

Again, the language David uses in both Psalms is poetic and highly figurative so care must be taken not to place a wrong interpretation upon them.
Look at the language in Psalms 58:3-6, can new born babies go about 'speaking lies"? No. Are they born with teeth v6 or is David talking about literal lions v6? Since infants are compare to poisonous snakes should they be killed so not to spread their 'poison'? Note the verse says "they go astray" it does not say they are born astray. Going astray shows personal culpability not how one was passively born against his will. Genesis 8:21 says culpability comes at "youth" not at birth.

Job 31:17-18 does this passage mean Job LITERALLY was helping orphans and widows from his birth? No, he could not help himself at birth. Job is figuratively pointing out that his life in general from his youth was characterized by helping widows not that he was literally born helping them. Likewise David is saying from his youth he began to sin and move away from God, utter lies and things he should not say, etc. Note again in Job 31:18 how Job uses a Hebrew parallelism in paralleling his "youth" to his birth/mother's womb. Hence Job is speaking about what he did from his youth paralleling it to his birth as is David. Psalms 139:14 David is NOT praising God for making him a vile, reprobate lost sinner. Albert Barnes, a Calvinist who believed in OS says of this verse "Strictly speaking, therefore, it cannot be shown that the psalmist in this declaration had reference to the whole human race, or that he meant to make a universal declaration in regard to man as being early estranged or alienated from God; and the passage, therefore, cannot directly, and with exact propriety, be adduced to prove the doctrine that “original sin” pertains to all the race - whatever may be true on that point."

Likewise with Psa 51 using highly figurative language. Can hyssop purge sin v7? No. Contextually David is seeking forgiveness for his OWN sins ("MY transgressions") not for sins he supposedly passively inherited from other people at birth against his will, Psalms 51:1
The OT clearly shows sins are not inherited (Ezekiel 18:20) just as righteousness is not something inherited. Verses I cited from the NT above also make OS an impossibility. Again, since the language is highly figurative one must take care with interpretation placed upon the verse. I know someone personally who took collegiate level courses in Hebrew and asked the Hebrew Professor about this verse. The Professors response is David was talking about the sin of his mother:

--in sin my mother conceived me
--in a drunken rage a husband beat his wife

Who was in the drunken rage? the husband. Who was in sin? the mother.
Since David was confessing his sin with Bathsheba, some commentators think David was speaking from the viewpoint of the illicit child of David's that Bathsheba gave birth to...in sin of adultery the mother, Bathsheba, gave birth to the child.

My personal idea is David is figuratively speaking about his being conceived in a world full of sin. The Bible speaks of the world being a wicked sinful place and David was conceived in sin, that is, conceived in that sinful environment, he was shapen in a wicked environment. The Hebrew word used here in Psalms 51:5 "in iniquity" is also found in Genesis 19:15 "And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city." This does NOT mean Lot inherited the sin of the city but that he was in an environment of iniquity and is being told to leave that sinful environment of the city else be consumed in that wicked environment.

Of course if Psa 51 proves OS, then Jesus would have been born with OS, Hebrews 4:15; Hebrews 2:17; Philippians 2:7-8

(sorry for such a long post)

Last edited:

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
It might can also be argued that the Bible equates salvation with being in a covenant relationship with God. So how did the Jew get into a covenant relationship with God? By the physical birth. Simply being born into a Jewish family with ties back to Abraham put one into an OT covenant relationship with God whereby that birth made one a child of God. How can the physical birth, at the same time, mean one is born a lost sinner, unforgiven reprobate separated from God yet at the same time also be born into a covenant relationship with God, a child of God?

Last edited: