Where in the scripture is anyone called to be a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
..and why would God not heal his addiction to sin?
2%20Corinthians%2012-9%20My%20Grace%20Is%20Sufficient%20For%20You%20beige.jpg

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you claiming that God wants us to sin? How does this passage show that God does not want to heal a person's addiction to sin? If that is what you believe then you believe Paul is addicted to sin also.
Paul admits as much. What is the tense of the verb εἰμι ἐγώ in the scripture below? Nevertheless, I trust that when He returns, our resurrected selves will be healed of our addiction to sin.

d0588f97afec60b197df61bd010e344d.jpg

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
My friend trusts doctrine, rather than the Jesus to whom the doctrine points. :(

Joh_6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Except the Father draw him (ean mē helkusēi auton). Negative condition of third class with ean mē and first aorist active subjunctive of helkuō, older form helkō, to drag like a net (Joh_21:6), or sword (Joh_18:10), or men (Act_16:19), to draw by moral power (Joh_12:32), as in Jer_31:3. Surō, the other word to drag (Act_8:3; Act_14:19) is not used of Christ’s drawing power. The same point is repeated in Joh_6:65. The approach of the soul to God is initiated by God, the other side of Joh_6:37. See Rom_8:7 for the same doctrine and use of oude dunatai like oudeis dunatai here.

Joh 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Blessings
Johann

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The difference is the saved person is not a slave to sin, while the unsaved person is.
Agree Ferris
What Does the Bible Say About Difference Between Believers And Non-believers?

Who you agree that the sin nature is still within believers, or is it somehow surgically removed as most advocate?
As I ponder over Rom 6,7 and 8 I cannot BUT come to the conclusion that the sin-hamartia (nature) is still within the believer, that is why we get angry, committing ACTS of sin and do not live in a STATE of habitual sinning
Just a thought
Blessings
Johann @Ziggy

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My friend trusts doctrine, rather than the Jesus to whom the doctrine points. :(

dude, that is powerful. I gotta say though, He’s never gonna forgive me so long as i’m living the way that i do. You cant serve 2 masters, and until my addiction is beat, hell will be my default destination.

Reactions: Lambano

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was happy to see another forum where the Word of God is the main focus but after I was registered and began to search through the website I was amazed to see Christians only forums. Christianity is an example of what Paul spoke against in 1 Cor 1
10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

The thing that is called Christianity is not what the gospel is about. Christianity is a community of divided groups fighting against each other. Is Christ divided? Why is every Christian denomination teaching a different doctrine? According to the scripture, the thing that is called Christianity is not of Christ because Christianity promotes division.
It is amazing to see the lack of simple understanding being exercised by the leaders of these groups.
How can Christianity be teaching the truth when there are hundreds of sects that teach different doctrines? Each of them says that their denomination teaches the truth, so the others must be teaching falsely.
The word Christian was applied to believers in Christ Jesus, followers of the Way, by those outside the body of Christ. It then was applied to those who practice religion based upon the New Testament rather than those pursuing a relationship with God through Christ Jesus. Not everything that calls itself Christian is Christian, but the Christian denominations all hold common core beliefs, and some even preach the gospel.

The "divisions" are primarily caused by carnal thinking and unbelief in scripture.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your bible must be missing pages... You claim not to be saved Paul says we are saved
Ephesians 2:5
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

You say you wilfully sin Paul says if you wilfully sin there is no sacrifice for those sins
Romans 6:12
Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Heb 10
26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

No, the difference between the saved and unsaved is one is saved and the other is not saved...You said you are not saved...therefore your sins are not forgiven.
John never said what you are saying he said...
How can you tell me I sin daily? You can only speak for yourself

1. you may very well be saved, i have no idea. But i do know that im not saved.
2. Hebrews 10:26 isnt talking about sin, its talking about jewish people who after becoming christians, thought about returning to judaism.
3. That is correct, my sins are not forgiven and i am condemned.
4. I tell you that you sin daily as all of mankind does. It aint just you, i say that to EVERYONE. Mankind is totally depraved, we can no more stop sinning than we can save ourselves. Repentance isnt just a one and done. Its something that we must continually do throughout life. Thats actually a sign that you are saved, not to just repent once, but continue on repenting daily.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
dude, that is powerful. I gotta say though, He’s never gonna forgive me so long as i’m living the way that i do. You cant serve 2 masters, and until my addiction is beat, hell will be my default destination.
Y'know, you frustrate the hell out of me sometimes. But who else do I have to talk basketball with? :D

Don't make me come down there and drag your sorry rear-end to Jesus's feet.

Reactions: Lifelong_sinner

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Eph 3:14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Eph 3:15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
Eph 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
Eph 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph 3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
Eph 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

1Pe 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
1Pe 4:16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.
1Pe 4:19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

Jas 2:1 My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.
Jas 2:2 For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment;
Jas 2:3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:
Jas 2:4 Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?
Jas 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
Jas 2:6 But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?
Jas 2:7 Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called?
Jas 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
Jas 2:9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
Jas 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
Jas 2:12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.
Jas 2:13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

What is the law of liberty?

Luk 10:25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
Luk 10:26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
Luk 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
Luk 10:28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

It's time for COFFEE!!!

iu

Hugs
:D
I have dropped in, had some coffee and hinei!..forgot to tip you Ziggy
Lol
J.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So where in the scripture did God call you to be a Christian?
I am a saint...
1 Corinthians 1:2
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:
Frankly I don't see my name in scripture, I see Christ's.
Therefore I am Christ's. I am a follower of Christ. I am Christian.

A saint is a title. Christian is a name.

Hugs

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Y'know, you frustrate the hell out of me sometimes. But who else do I have to talk basketball with? :D

Don't make me come down there and drag your sorry rear-end to Jesus's feet.

:p I get that a lot.

Thats already been done though. I believe that the average person spends the first half of their life making a mess of things. The second half of life is spent trying to repair the first half. But at some point, some of us realize that the mistakes from the first half cant be repaired. There isnt a day that goes by where i dont ask myself “why did i ever start this addiction!” I have lost track of the hours i sit back and ponder why do i even like this stuff. I guess im just tired of fighting, and i just go along with it. I just dont have the strength to keep trying to quit.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Frankly I don't see my name in scripture, I see Christ's.
Therefore I am Christ's. I am a follower of Christ. I am Christian.

A saint is a title. Christian is a name.

Hugs
Rev_21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Rev_20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Rev_20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Rev_13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Rev_17:8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

@Ziggy

Blessings
Johann

Status
Not open for further replies.