Where in the scripture is anyone called to be a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
I was happy to see another forum where the Word of God is the main focus but after I was registered and began to search through the website I was amazed to see Christians only forums. Christianity is an example of what Paul spoke against in 1 Cor 1
10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

The thing that is called Christianity is not what the gospel is about. Christianity is a community of divided groups fighting against each other. Is Christ divided? Why is every Christian denomination teaching a different doctrine? According to the scripture, the thing that is called Christianity is not of Christ because Christianity promotes division.
It is amazing to see the lack of simple understanding being exercised by the leaders of these groups.
How can Christianity be teaching the truth when there are hundreds of sects that teach different doctrines? Each of them says that their denomination teaches the truth, so the others must be teaching falsely.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding the OP...

Matthew 11:28-30, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Reactions: LookingForGod

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Regarding the OP...

Matthew 11:28-30, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Sorry, your response has nothing to do with the OP... Why are there divisions in Christianity? Is Christ divided?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, your response has nothing to do with the OP... Why are there divisions in Christianity? Is Christ divided?

You don't think that Matthew 11:28-30 is calling anyone to be a Christian? (it has everything to do with the OP: "where in Scripture...")

BTW, your questions have nothing to do with the OP.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
You don't think that Matthew 11:28-30 is calling anyone to be a Christian?
Why should I think that?
(it has everything to do with the OP: "where in Scripture...")
No, it does not, the scripture does not call us to be Christians... The OP shows Christians are divided.

BTW, your questions have nothing to do with the OP.
It has, people are calling themselves Christians but God did not call them to be Christians,,, they are following false teachings. Which division of Christians did God call you too?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why should I think that?

No, it does not, the scripture does not call us to be Christians... The OP shows Christians are divided.

It has, people are calling themselves Christians but God did not call them to be Christians,,, they are following false teachings. Which division of Christians did God call you too?

1) “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 Clearly this is a call to be Christians. It is the verse read to me when I changed from being an atheist to being a Christian.

2) Your response is no answer. Why does "Where in the Scripture is anyone called to be a Christian" show Christians to be divided?

3) I wasn't called to any division of Christians. I was called to be a part of the body of Christ.

Your responses make no sense.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
1) “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 Clearly this is a call to be Christians. It is the verse read to me when I changed from being an atheist to being a Christian.
So show me where the scripture says you must become a Christian or that you became a Christian at some point...Please show the text, chapter and verse.
2) Your response is no answer. Why does "Where in the Scripture is anyone called to be a Christian" show Christians to be divided?
Where in the scripture is anyone called to be a Christian is the question I am asking... Can you show me? Christians show themselves to be divided, just check the many divisions/ denominations.

3) I wasn't called to any division of Christians. I was called to be a part of the body of Christ.
Yet you said, "It is the verse read to me when I changed from being an atheist to being a Christian". Evidently, you made your own change. The body of Christ is the saints...
Romans 8:27
And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
1 Corinthians 1:2
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:
Your responses make no sense.
That is Ok many things in the scripture make no sense to a lot of people.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So show me where the scripture says you must become a Christian or that you became a Christian at some point...Please show the text, chapter and verse.

Where in the scripture is anyone called to be a Christian is the question I am asking... Can you show me? Christians show themselves to be divided, just check the many divisions/ denominations.

Yet you said, "It is the verse read to me when I changed from being an atheist to being a Christian". Evidently, you made your own change. The body of Christ is the saints...
Romans 8:27
And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
1 Corinthians 1:2
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:
That is Ok many things in the scripture make no sense to a lot of people.

Many things in the scripture make no sense to a lot of people, including yourself I guess. I have shown you where people including myself are called to be Christians. If you can't/won't accept that it's not my problem. It's yours.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Many things in the scripture make no sense to a lot of people, including yourself I guess.
speak for yourself...You cannot know what makes sense to another person
I have shown you where people including myself are called to be Christians. If you can't/won't accept that it's not my problem. It's yours.
You have shown no such thing...If you did you would have posted the scripture that says so. I won't accept foolishness. You are claiming to have shown me where people are called to be Christians...If I missed it, which I did not, please post the passage that says we are called to be Christians.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
speak for yourself...You cannot know what makes sense to another person

You have shown no such thing...If you did you would have posted the scripture that says so. I won't accept foolishness. You are claiming to have shown me where people are called to be Christians...If I missed it, which I did not, please post the passage that says we are called to be Christians.

Again and for the last time, I have shown you where people including myself are called to be Christians. If you can't/won't accept that it's not my problem. It's yours.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Again and for the last time, I have shown you where people including myself are called to be Christians. If you can't/won't accept that it's not my problem. It's yours.
You have not shown any such thing, sir. I know because only three times does the word Christian appears in the scripture, and none of them says we are called to be a Christian
Acts 11:26
And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
Acts 26:28
Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
1 Peter 4:16
Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

If by any means I missed where it said we are called to be Christians then please enlighten me

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have not shown any such thing, sir. I know because only three times does the word Christian appears in the scripture, and none of them says we are called to be a Christian
Acts 11:26
And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
Acts 26:28
Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
1 Peter 4:16
Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

If by any means I missed where it said we are called to be Christians then please enlighten me

What is it about my saying that "Again and for the last time..." that you can't understand?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Please understand that Jim B is a "troll" who loves to put anyone down when he disagrees with another's expressed understanding or point of view and will not let go of the bone, so to speak until he has brow beaten you into submission.

I have expressed the same view, in another thread on this forum, as you have done above.

The term Christian grew out of a need to distinguish those who follow Christ from Judaism, by the powers to be at that time. Even among the Followers of Christ, there were differences that caused division. Division among the followers can be beneficial as it help to focus our understanding whether for or against being a follower of Christ.

Some times it is simply best to allow what you post to stand as you have presented it and ignore the posts that follow. An argument over small differences in opinions is not beneficial at all for either party. Let the other party have the last word, so to speak and continue meditating on God's word as the Holy Spirit leads you.

Shalom

Reactions: Nancy

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Please understand that Jim B is a "troll" who loves to put anyone down when he disagrees with another's expressed understanding or point of view and will not let go of the bone, so to speak until he has brow beaten you into submission.

I have expressed the same view, in another thread on this forum, as you have done above.

The term Christian grew out of a need to distinguish those who follow Christ from Judaism, by the powers to be at that time. Even among the Followers of Christ, there were differences that caused division. Division among the followers can be beneficial as it help to focus our understanding whether for or against being a follower of Christ.

Some times it is simply best to allow what you post to stand as you have presented it and ignore the posts that follow. An argument over small differences in opinions is not beneficial at all for either party. Let the other party have the last word, so to speak and continue meditating on God's word as the Holy Spirit leads you.

Shalom
Thanks for the encouragement...But these things must be dealt with...
2 Cor 10
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is every Christian denomination teaching a different doctrine?

Luk 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
Luk 8:12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
Luk 8:13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
Luk 8:14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
Luk 8:15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Luk 8:18 Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.

Hello Saint of God
Welcome to the forum
:D
Hugs

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are there divisions in Christianity? Is Christ divided?

hmmmm good question. John calvin had this same problem. This is what he said about the church; “If it has the ministry of the Word and honors it, if it has the administration of the sacraments, it deserves without doubt to be held and considered a church. For it is certain that such things are not without fruit. (IV.1.9)”

in other words, Wherever we see the Word of God purely preached and heard, and the sacraments administered according to Christ’s institution, there, it is not to be doubted, a church of God exists.

the first sentence is where the majority of conflicts arise. You have us calvinists, you have arminians, you have unitarians, you even have what i call hippie christians AKA pentecostals and their tambourines :D.

so which of us is right?? This is a problem going back to the days of paul himself. Untill we answer what is essential doctrine, there will always be division.

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Luk 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
Luk 8:12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
Luk 8:13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
Luk 8:14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
Luk 8:15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Luk 8:18 Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.

Hello Saint of God
Welcome to the forum
:D
Hugs
Thank you

Reactions: Ziggy

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
hmmmm good question. John calvin had this same problem.
I would say Calvin was part of the problem
This is what he said about the church; “If it has the ministry of the Word and honors it, if it has the administration of the sacraments, it deserves without doubt to be held and considered a church. For it is certain that such things are not without fruit. (IV.1.9)”

in other words, Wherever we see the Word of God purely preached and heard, and the sacraments administered according to Christ’s institution, there, it is not to be doubted, a church of God exists.

the first sentence is where the majority of conflicts arise.
Without Calvin there wouldn't be Calvinists, would there?

You have us calvinists, you have arminians, you have unitarians, you even have what i call hippie christians AKA pentecostals and their tambourines :D.

so which of us is right?? This is a problem going back to the days of paul himself. Untill we answer what is essential doctrine, there will always be division.
These are all divisions within the body of Christ, something Paul spoke against. If these people were followers of Christ they would not be promoting division within the body of Christ.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say Calvin was part of the problem
Without Calvin there wouldn't be Calvinists, would there?

These are all divisions within the body of Christ, something Paul spoke against. If these people were followers of Christ they would not be promoting division within the body of Christ.

So how do you think we should handle differences between the denominations? Im a calvinist presbyterian. I believe we are the closest to what the apostles were. Yet if you ask most people on here, they would disagree.

how do you address once saved always saved? Baby baptism? Free will vs God’s sovereignty? Unitarians vs trinitarians? You solve those… then you can start to remove the divisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.