Who’s interpretation is true?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Jesus teaches ask, seek, knock and you will be lead right where you need to be. i think we should put our faith in that teaching and not what bible version we have.

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
Jesus teaches ask, seek, knock and you will be lead right where you need to be. i think we should put our faith in that teaching and not what bible version we have.
I refer to various translations as "flavours", what flavour ice cream do you like best.

Reactions: Helen

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
I refer to various translations as "flavours", what flavour ice cream do you like best.
i like the ESV as it relies more on the DSS. when i first started studying many years back i learned with a NIV and i thought it was perfect for that time.

Reactions: Richard_oti

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
what you are saying doesn't make any sense.
then i wouldn't worry about it, it really amounts to a big cup full of nothing, ok, in a sense. We are called to change our minds, and this is an exercise in that. You already grasp on some level that any doctrine has exceptions, i'm sure, and cannot be made into laws, to be enforced upon people without hypocrisy, right? Same concept, really.

You might examine the Q "If there really is no absolute truth for us here on earth, ________ happens," or something similar, to examine why you hold this notion so closely, if you like. I tell you that nothing is going to change anyway, ok, except your perception of truth. Absolute truth is something we comfort ourselves with, like pacifiers or scapegoats, or beliefs. They do not describe your faith unless you lean on them in faith.

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
another way to put it is "state your unassailable absolute truth, as a doctrine, and let's see how it holds up against Scripture."
I learned long ago to enjoy, if you have an idea, put it out before ones peers (both friend and foe) and see if it is able to stand. Yeah, it can sting a little until one learns the value of such and to enjoy it.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
another way to put it is "state your unassailable absolute truth, as a doctrine, and let's see how it holds up against Scripture."

Well that depends on your audience. If I were talking to Abraham, Isaac or Jacob, there would be no debate about such things but because your talking to people of various stages of understanding and growth as believers, there is always going to be something we are not going to agree with. I believe that God is truth. If God was not truth then we are not saved, there is no heaven or hell and Jesus Christ did not come to save those who believe in him by grace through faith...what does the bible say about that? It either is or is not. there is no in between...

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
ha well i get where you're coming from, but those were written by inspiration, that came from observation, and you can't very well accuse men of deception who are essentially describing their own failures, imo. I am inclined to agree with you @ some of the more "miraculous" portrayals, but i suggest that even there license was only taken to impart spiritual truth, and men walking across dryshod et al are meant to be read with different eyes.
Miracles are OK.
I'm talking about the laws.
Not all the laws were written by God.
Inspired?
Some don't sound so inspired.
I'm not the only one who thinks this.
Theologians think this. Some anyway.
I never make up my own theology...

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
hmm...the op suggests that the authority is disgusted, whereas "Who told you that you were naked?" suggests something different, at least to me. God also would not make demands as the comic suggests, at least imo, so i don't know how to answer there with any relevance. A "general" interpretation is by definition widely accepted, yes? So i stress again that what is really being sought here is a clever enough seller, for a glut of buyers.

by which i do not mean "don't go looking for insightful interps," ok, but that you, ultimately, are the one who has to determine this; the pope is not going to be there when you are judged, and saying "God, i was just following the pope" is not going to cut it i guess.
Who's following the Pope?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
exactly. Trying to pin down an interpretation that is "right" necessarily excludes any other interpretation, and you can't do that with Scripture. We are plainly told, many times, that no one knows when they say they know. this is an attempt to make a law

nite :D
You're saying the bible cannot be understood...

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
If God was not truth then we are not saved, there is no heaven or hell and Jesus Christ did not come to save those who believe in him by grace through faith...what does the bible say about that? It either is or is not. there is no in between...
so you say, but Scripture also plainly states that we can only have a hope of salvation, and that all go to the same place, no heaven or hell as places iow, and the worship of Jesus as Nehushtan, idol worship. We also get the concept of various levels of heaven and hell, a very definite "in-between," whether it comes down to you as a doctrine of men (Purgatory) or the acknowledgement of crowns and rewards for some, but not for others. We are also plainly told that no man may die for the sins of another, as Nehushtan worshippers assert. Call on the name of the Lord and you will be saved; but many will cry "Lord, Lord."

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Who's following the Pope?
lol, i'm following the pope at the moment, but i am not relying on the pope as my intermediary between me and Christ, so understand the point. Obviously many Catholics follow the pope, and look to him as their spiritual king, similar to a Protestant following a pastor or preacher, and pedestalizing them, or even worship Jesus as a Snake on a Pole, a "Jesus cult" this is also called.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
so you say, but Scripture also plainly states that we can only have a hope of salvation, and that all go to the same place, no heaven or hell as places iow, and the worship of Jesus as Nehushtan, idol worship. We also get the concept of various levels of heaven and hell, a very definite "in-between," whether it comes down to you as a doctrine of men (Purgatory) or the acknowledgement of crowns and rewards for some, but not for others. We are also plainly told that no man may die for the sins of another, as Nehushtan worshippers assert. Call on the name of the Lord and you will be saved; but many will cry "Lord, Lord."

Does it really matter. We either believe that God is truth or we do not...You come across like a non-believer! is that what your trying to get at because you are getting there...o_O

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
You're saying the bible cannot be understood...
not at all, what i am doing is recognizing the fluid nature of Scripture, that defining a passage to one interpretation destroys, because if the interpretation is defined, then any other interpretation becomes disallowed, one cannot even consider it, because "they already have the interpretation."

So then for example when one becomes convinced that the Abomination of Desolation must have occurred in 70ad, they become blind to any other interpretation in defense of their own, the same as with guessing who the Two Witnesses are, etc., like maybe the Bible needs a little help from us or something, they just weren't sharp enough to identify the witnesses for us, or forgot to lol. Or maybe they were scared of Nero or something.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Oh btw there is salvation by faith [with the Holy Spirit indwelling as a guarantee of that salvation]...and then there is the actual salvation which happens when we have been actually redeemed by Christ when he comes again or when we pass from this life to eternal life...which ever comes first.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
and that all go to the same place, no heaven or hell as places iow, and the worship of Jesus as Nehushtan, idol worship...
...and where is this place where there is no heaven or hell found in scripture? Is this before Christ's death and resurrection or after???

Reactions: GodsGrace

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Does it really matter. We either believe that God is truth or we do not...You come across like a non-believer! is that what your trying to get at because you are getting there...o_O
well, i hope you understand that i have not forwarded any of those doctrines in my last post to you here; they existed before we started talking about them, and it was learned seekers who developed them, not me. I am just here now being vilified for even suggesting them, right. But they will not disappear from Scripture regardless. BAM reject what i am saying, and come to your own understanding, i don't expect you to think like me.

It doesn't matter to me in the least, because i am not trying to make any new laws, or suggest any absolute truth contained in any "correct" interpretations.