Who’s interpretation is true?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
how do we know who is right if two lawyers can both quote the law? The solution is to not be under the law, not be in that situation iow. I don't refer to Calvin for my interpretations, nor this Armenia person; rather i am led as i read, and then i get labelled later, by other people. So i maybe get labelled "Armenian," despite the fact that Armenia and i would surely diverge in our beliefs at some point, pretty quickly i guess.
You're stating a very personal solution!
I think the op must mean generally?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
But Jesus said He came to give us an abundant Life.
How could it be abundant if we don't even know what is going to happen to us?
um, well, "life" is right now, and my life is no less abundant for not yet knowing what i will become, imo; my curiosity is simply left wanting. But i can suggest that for those to whom that is not sufficient, many, many people are anxious to fill that void for them, all seeking either "whose interpretation is correct?" or seeking to relate that they know, either buyers or sellers iow.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Ok.
The thread is:. Who's interpretation is true?
unfortunately the messenger in that scenario is not relaying the message of God, but their own opinion, there @ "barf," and the pov of the boy, assumed to be "disregard," is not really true either, as we can witness by the boy eating off of the floor without compunction. Understand these are strictly my perception, and do not take away from the intent of the op though, which is to show separation from God i guess. I got a good laugh too, even if i would have ended the cartoon one panel earlier.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
1. Today you will be with me in paradise.
Whatever Paradise is, it's a good place.
furnaces refine gold, and they are not intrinsically evil, however. Paradise has about as much meaning as "bosom of Abraham," these are all flowery descriptions of the unknown, and unknowable. Paradise is also depicted as purgatory, or even hell by other interpreters.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
2. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord....Paul.
ha, well, maybe; or "and we are confident and satisfied to be out of the body and at home with the Lord." Pretty sure Paul is playing on words here, in order to deceive whomever will be deceived, as v9 might clarify (if all of the NIV scribation to force a literal perspective that is likely in error does not); 9Therefore, whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to be pleasing to Him.

Paul was not craving death in order to be "present" with Jesus, ok. He is restating a principle of dying to self in such a way so as to be misinterpreted...so as to provide a choice for those who will not accept the truth. imo.
Heaven is probably a dimension
We cannot know this for sure.
well, the kingdom of heaven is within you, or it is beside you, and Saul goes where Samuel went, one rejected and the other accepted.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Well, this one is easy.
Calvinism cannot be correct.
It changes the character of God and turns Him into a monster who willingly sends the humans He created to hell...
ha well "correct, not correct" becomes irrelevant, see. What is relevant there is that those who believe that are now revealed to you, for better or worse. That is the only thing that can be verified, see. I cannot verify whether Calvinism is correct or not, as that would require me to know. I can verify that Calvinists have a view of Father that does not really seem to have an analogue in our experience; unless one's father was pretty, well, __________, i'll let you fill in the blank there.

Let's not forget that if pure gold could talk, it would have quite a harrowing tale to tell, right. Job would likely agree to many Calvinist planks. I could support a perspective of "God is a monster" with quite a bit of Scripture, "you will eat your children," "what you fear most will come upon you," etc.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
We CAN know who has the right interpretation, in most cases.
this, like "Calvinism cannot be correct," just makes assumptions that i cannot make any longer, if i am to respect other Scripture on the matter. I know Who has the right interp, in every case; why mess with perfection here?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
ha well "correct, not correct" becomes irrelevant, see. What is relevant there is that those who believe that are now revealed to you, for better or worse. That is the only thing that can be verified, see. I cannot verify whether Calvinism is correct or not, as that would require me to know. I can verify that Calvinists have a view of Father that does not really seem to have an analogue in our experience; unless one's father was pretty, well, __________, i'll let you fill in the blank there.

Let's not forget that if pure gold could talk, it would have quite a harrowing tale to tell, right. Job would likely agree to many Calvinist planks. I could support a perspective of "God is a monster" with quite a bit of Scripture, "you will eat your children," "what you fear most will come upon you," etc.
I fear to say that it was not God who spoke all in the ot. Man helped Him along a little.
Some agree, some don't.
As usual.

Reactions: bbyrd009

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
this, like "Calvinism cannot be correct," just makes assumptions that i cannot make any longer, if i am to respect other Scripture on the matter. I know Who has the right interp, in every case; why mess with perfection here?
In some cases we can't know.
Bon niut bb

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
You're stating a very personal solution!
I think the op must mean generally?
hmm...the op suggests that the authority is disgusted, whereas "Who told you that you were naked?" suggests something different, at least to me. God also would not make demands as the comic suggests, at least imo, so i don't know how to answer there with any relevance. A "general" interpretation is by definition widely accepted, yes? So i stress again that what is really being sought here is a clever enough seller, for a glut of buyers.

by which i do not mean "don't go looking for insightful interps," ok, but that you, ultimately, are the one who has to determine this; the pope is not going to be there when you are judged, and saying "God, i was just following the pope" is not going to cut it i guess.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
In some cases we can't know.
Bon niut bb
exactly. Trying to pin down an interpretation that is "right" necessarily excludes any other interpretation, and you can't do that with Scripture. We are plainly told, many times, that no one knows when they say they know. this is an attempt to make a law

nite :D

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
<snip>
So i stress again that what is really being sought here is a clever enough seller, for a glut of buyers.
And enough of those have come and gone as evidenced.

by which i do not mean "don't go looking for insightful interps," ok, but that you, ultimately, are the one who has to determine this; the pope is not going to be there when you are judged, and saying "God, i was just following the pope" is not going to cut it i guess.

That brings Isaiah 2:22 to mind... Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he?

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I fear to say that it was not God who spoke all in the ot. Man helped Him along a little.
Some agree, some don't.
As usual.
ha well i get where you're coming from, but those were written by inspiration, that came from observation, and you can't very well accuse men of deception who are essentially describing their own failures, imo. I am inclined to agree with you @ some of the more "miraculous" portrayals, but i suggest that even there license was only taken to impart spiritual truth, and men walking across dryshod et al are meant to be read with different eyes.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
And enough of those have come and gone as evidenced.

That brings Isaiah 2:22 to mind... Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he?
amen. Something i notice that Christians farther along the path never seem to discuss is the command to do whatever it is one does from conviction, all "three" in agreement. What do we do instead? We try to guess who the "two witnesses" are, like Scripture is playing coy or something.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Some one once told me that there is no such thing as absolute truth because it's subjective. That is a lie! God is truth and the gospel message that brings salvation through Jesus Christ is truth.
but note that even that is a subjective choice. You say "that is a lie," but you cannot state a law that covers every exception, see. The point is not that there is no Objective Truth, the point is that the definition of that amounts to "God," and really cannot be reduced any further, though we try mightily.

For the sake of argument let's say there is some objective truth you might name--although imo all of the attempts made on the appropriate thread, which title i have now forgotten, came up short, you're welcome to chime in...if i can find it again lol--all well and good, then it is not going anywhere, ok, it will still be there if/when you abandon the perception that there is no other objective truth that you can name in the earth other than God, and examine why that bothers you, or what it is exactly that you feel is being lost.

objective truth is an illusion, that goes along with "i can know the truth of a matter, such that a law can be made sufficient to encompass it," essentially.

edit--sorry, i can't find the thread now, seems like it was @OzSpen and i, the post where he listed several "absolute truths" that i refuted, i'll let you determine how successfully, i think @GodsGrace was there...or you might just state one of your own, and we can see!

i should warn you that this is not a pleasant journey for most people though ok. i have had people i hadn't seen for years come and tell me that this is why they broke contact with me, and etc. Many reports of sleepless nights after this.

Absolute truth is a cherished idol. If you need it, BAM keep it ok, because you cannot unsee this stuff.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Trying to pin down an interpretation that is "right" necessarily excludes any other interpretation, and you can't do that with Scripture.
We are plainly told, many times, that no one knows when they say they know. this is an attempt to make a law

That is where I sit too. The best any of us can do it the think that we have the light on any matter. Our hearing is still, as Paul says 'in part', to believe otherwise is delusion. Because God is God, it is obvious that He allows us to know somethings but He does not reveal other things openly. That way He keeps us always looking to Him for guidance and answers. I believe that that is what the relationship with Him is all about..Him leading, and us following...unto the end of the road.
It is obvious from His Word that He loves mysteries...I believe as we stay-close..He peels back truth after truth like an onion skin...that is the beauty of relationship. No one person has all truth...but maybe together we have it all.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Are you awake?

but note that even that is a subjective choice. You say "that is a lie," but you cannot state a law that covers every exception, see. The point is not that there is no Objective Truth, the point is that the definition of that amounts to "God," and really cannot be reduced any further, though we try mightily.

For the sake of argument let's say there is some objective truth you might name--although imo all of the attempts made on the appropriate thread, which title i have now forgotten, came up short, you're welcome to chime in...if i can find it again lol--all well and good, then it is not going anywhere, ok, it will still be there if/when you abandon the perception that there is no other objective truth that you can name in the earth other than God, and examine why that bothers you, or what it is exactly that you feel is being lost.

objective truth is an illusion, that goes along with "i can know the truth of a matter, such that a law can be made sufficient to encompass it," essentially.

edit--sorry, i can't find the thread now, seems like it was @OzSpen and i, the post where he listed several "absolute truths" that i refuted, i'll let you determine how successfully, i think @GodsGrace was there...or you might just state one of your own, and we can see!

i should warn you that this is not a pleasant journey for most people though ok. i have had people i hadn't seen for years come and tell me that this is why they broke contact with me, and etc. Many reports of sleepless nights after this.

Absolute truth is a cherished idol. If you need it, BAM keep it ok, because you cannot unsee this stuff.
what you are saying doesn't make any sense.