Who appreciates Christian hard rock?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you appreciate Christian hard rock?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's an old favorite of many ppl; Simon & Garfunkel's version is best known.

It's not in hard rock style; but thanks for the contribution.

(For a moment there I thought you were getting into the hard rock... :) )

No, @farouk,
Contemplation of the things of God, and hard rock just don't go together for me. :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I remember someone introducing us to Stryper and we were fairly impressed with their musicianship, but the shocker was that they were openly proclaiming Christ and Savior and Lord in a world where no Christians ever visited (It's kind of like a counter-culture or an underworld).

Anyway, I didn't get saved right away, but it had a serious impact on me at the time.
@Hidden In Him : Well, exactly.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Josho On the other thread you mentioned 'extreme' sound; I don't myself find Disciple 'extreme', do you? especially since the track I uploaded has effective, hard hitting Biblical lyrics.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hey I thought I posted that on the Hillsong thread haha.
@ Josho; yes, I thought it was quite relevant to this one I started as well. I don't find 'Disciple's hard hitting lyrics in hard rock 'extreme', do you?

They do communicate strongly.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@ Josho; yes, I thought it was quite relevant to this one I started as well. I don't find 'Disciple's hard hitting lyrics in hard rock 'extreme', do you?

They do communicate strongly.

Deleted the comment since I re-read what you said, you replied before I deleted it anyway.

As for the extreme sound, I guess for the Hillsong thread I meant, they don't have too much "boom" compared to other music of that genre, if you hear some of the modern pop songs, they have heaps of boom, and electronic dance music is heavily used with it, I guess that's what I meant by extreme, Hillsong doesn't go to that extreme, they still would be considered as what I would call easy listening contemporary pop Christian music, in saying that haven't heard much Hillsong recently, but we do sing a few of their songs at Church.

As for Christian hard rock, I am not sure if I have heard Disciple, but I can tolerate quite a bit of rock, a lot of the rock lead guitarists in general are very talented, and I do like some good instrumental talent.

I know this isn't Christian hard rock, but Alice Cooper (now a Christian) currently has an amazing lead guitarist Nita Strauss playing in his band, she can really make the electric guitar sing.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Deleted the comment since I re-read what you said, you replied before I deleted it anyway.

As for the extreme sound, I guess for the Hillsong thread I meant, they don't have too much "boom" compared to other music of that genre, if you hear some of the modern pop songs, they have heaps of boom, and electronic dance music is heavily used with it, I guess that's what I meant by extreme, Hillsong doesn't go to that extreme, they still would be considered as what I would call easy listening contemporary pop Christian music, in saying that haven't heard much Hillsong recently, but we do sing a few of their songs at Church.

As for Christian hard rock, I am not sure if I have heard Disciple, but I can tolerate quite a bit of rock, a lot of the rock lead guitarists in general are very talented, and I do like some good instrumental talent.

I know this isn't Christian hard rock, but Alice Cooper (now a Christian) currently has an amazing lead guitarist Nita Strauss playing in his band, she can really make the electric guitar sing.
@Josho I'll have to find Nita Strauss on Youtube...

Reactions: Josho

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Josho Yes, I was just listening and Nita Strauss is indeed brilliant at the electric guitar. Superficially it might be 'modern' in its presentation but really her playing is very tuneful and in a sense a sort of updated form of Bach counterpoint on a pipe organ, played on the electric guitar. I think her playing would go very well to hard hitting Biblical lyrics (just as many Christians appreciate Bach to Biblical lyrics). Thanks....

Reactions: Josho

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone else into Christian hard rock?

Not a ton of Christian hard rock I'm into, but I will be into hard rock in general until my dying breath.

Rediscovered this a few days ago. On listen #50 at this point, and counting. It doesn't bother me in the least to listen to secular stuff, and musically it's usually ten times better. But that's just me. To each his own.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Not a ton of Christian hard rock I'm into, but I will be into hard rock in general until my dying breath.

Rediscovered this a few days ago. On listen #50 at this point, and counting. It doesn't bother me in the least to listen to secular stuff, and musically it's usually ten times better. But that's just me. To each his own.

@Hidden In Him Yes, it's done rather well!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Sabresong

Jul 31, 2020
Eastern US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember my first exposure to Christianity, as a teen in the 1980s. We were told that all rock music was evil and Satanic, even to the point of being told that there was "Backmasking" in the music, which has been disproved a million times since. It turned me against the church back then.

Years later, back in the arms of Christ, my favorite bands are Skillet, The Letter Black and Fireflight, all Christian bands, all hard rock, in some cases bordering on metal. I've even found Christian punk bands, which is awesome to me, because the only music I like better than hard rock is punk and ska.

Can hard rock/metal/punk/ska be effective tools for ministry? Let me ask this: If someone listens to Nine Inch Nails or Pantera, how likely are we to reach them with music in the style of Barry Manilow or The Carpenters? We were told to go out among them as one of them to carry the Word. We reach people by speaking their language. Hard rock/punk/metal/ska is my native language, and The Letter Black spoke it to me better than any person I had ever actually met. SO yes, rock on Brothers and Sisters.