Who are the guests?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
At the wedding if we the church are the bride and Christ is the groom.
Who are the guests?

My best guess is...like the virgins..its those who did not follow The Lord close enough and were too distracted to be ready for the Bride-hood..( all ten of them "slumbered and slept")

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You must be referring to the parable of the wedding.

It's just a parable, an example, a word picture. Jesus says it is only "like" a marriage. The only answer would be the angels.

Darn...and there was I, thinking that I had a really good answer. :D

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Agh well. I will get all manner of things thrown at me. But here goes.

Is it possible . When the word says every knee will bend and confess me Lord. Is it possible that on judgement day. everyone will confess and bend the knee. Is it possible that all will be forgiven on the last day and all flesh shall return to the lord. And the guests are those who never excepted Christ as lord but now do because they have seen. Is it possible that everyone would have excepted Christ had they known, How will they know lest someone tells them. The church done the most pathethetic job of teaching the good news. I think God is way bigger than what we think.

The guest might well be these people. Just occured to me. But I really dont think the angles are the guests. Doest make sense to me.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it possible . When the word says every knee will bend and confess me Lord.
Is it possible that on judgement day, everyone will confess and bend the knee.
Is it possible that all will be forgiven on the last day and all flesh shall return to the lord.
And the guests are those who never accepted Christ as lord but now do
because they have seen.
Brilliant.
This goes along with the first shall be last.
Blessed are those that believe and have not seen...Well, sure they are.
But, so what, if some people have to actually see something...nothing wrong with that.
I love all my atheist friends...so what they have never experienced the Holy Spirit...
They will someday...it's not my time table when....seeing is also blessed!

Reactions: Helen

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is it possible . When the word says every knee will bend and confess me Lord. Is it possible that on judgement day. everyone will confess and bend the knee. Is it possible that all will be forgiven on the last day and all flesh shall return to the lord. And the guests are those who never excepted Christ as lord but now do because they have seen. Is it possible that everyone would have excepted Christ had they known, How will they know lest someone tells them. The church done the most pathethetic job of teaching the good news. I think God is way bigger than what we think.

The guest might well be these people. Just occured to me. But I really dont think the angles are the guests. Doest make sense to me.

You could be right. For me, it fits the character of God...even in the OT. The Jews thought He was coming to vincate them instead He came as a servant of mercy (as we are to become).

Scripture does say every knee will bow. God is long suffering and goes way beyond what we know or understand of love.

You say the church has done a pathetic job. I ask you to consider: is that possible? Is it possible for the body of Christ to fail and do a pathetic job considering she is steered by the head which is Christ? Don't be deceived by what the flesh displays within buildings...focus on the Spiritual church. Can she fail? What did the Lord tell Peter about the church built on Jesus Christ? Consider that maybe the guest are those that she(the church) forgives in His name. Just a thought and I am confident it is not a blasphemous thought to have since it is NOT possible to suggest we have more mercy than God. If we feel heartache over the lost, so does He.

1 Kings 3:9-10 KJV
[9] Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people? [10] And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing.

Jonah 4:10-11 KJV
[10] Then said the Lord , Thou hast had pity on the gourd, for the which thou hast not laboured, neither madest it grow; which came up in a night, and perished in a night: [11] And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?

What is Ninevehs connection to Babylon? Matthew 12:40 KJV
[40] For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

James 5:11 KJV
[11] Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ally.s.j

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, then why go on about their attire?
Yes, there is more.

I almost included those looking on who have not committed to being in the marriage. But the simplicity of the parable would perhaps be lost in such detail. So, first and foremost, it is in the end, that the angels are the only real guests...and those who were invited but came unprepared (without the garment of Christ) are turned away.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Don't be deceived by what the flesh displays within buildings
also prolly better to not gauge where We are according to how we fail the ideal, but rather how far we have come, or iow where we started from. yes, the institutional church is the very worst idea ever conceived; until you consider all the other ideas. "The Darkness is coming, when no one can work" is possibly a ref to the Dark Ages--which aren't called that for nothing, right--and the RCC was/is a great way to store knowledge against Chaos. Plus heirs have to start somewhere, right, even if it is under the "servants," double entendre noted

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Yes, there is more.

I almost included those looking on who have not committed to being in the marriage. But the simplicity of the parable would perhaps be lost in such detail. So, first and foremost, it is in the end, that the angels are the only real guests...and those who were invited but came unprepared (without the garment of Christ) are turned away.
i like it, but i also feel that something essential is being missed in this unresolved dichotomy, as guests w/o garments imply guests with garments, who are nonetheless not the Bride?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Yes, I believe it is all possible...and I go a step further...all probable. :)

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i like it, but i also feel that something essential is being missed in this unresolved dichotomy, as guests w/o garments imply guests with garments, who are nonetheless not the Bride?
That is the part I was referring to as possibly being confusing. But, it is there that Jesus goes back to the parable meaning in the greater detail - but it is just an aspect of the original premise. He was using the common understanding of a wedding [as on earth] which only goes so far to show what is meant on high in the marriage of the bride and the Groom...so He bounces around a bit to fill in the details.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
This goes back to my thread here:

If all of the Church is the Bride of Christ who are the guests?

As I see it the Bride comes out of the Church, but not all Church is in the Bride.
hmm well i guess i am not the Church per se, i am a Living Stone used to build the Church...maybe that is helping clarify it for someone, but not me yet lol

Church seems well enough defined, for the moment, maybe Bride should be clarified now. Maybe Wedding, too.

Weddings are held in "churches," hmm

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Is it possible that all will be forgiven on the last day
pretty sure all is forgiven right now, we just had a rather painful--i guess--thread on that.
virtually certain, myself
and all flesh shall return to the lord
pretty sure that is worm food, disintegrates back into the Dust (of the earth)
How will they know lest someone tells them
something about "if they can't hear the prophets, they won't be able to hear even someone rising from the dead," which seems...incongruous, not in line, with the subject at hand, but i suggest that that is because we are making assumptions about Resurrection that we just should not No one knows where they go when they die
The church done the most pathethetic job of teaching the good news.
"Good News! If you don't do exactly as i say, you will burn in hell for eternity!"
seems clear to me :)

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm well i guess i am not the Church per se, i am a Living Stone used to build the Church...maybe that is helping clarify it for someone, but not me yet lol

Church seems well enough defined, for the moment, maybe Bride should be clarified now. Maybe Wedding, too.

Weddings are held in "churches," hmm
I would say that anyone who is part of the Church is one of those Living Stones. As to the Bride, for the moment, I will leave my link and not add anything else except to point to the Song of Solomon for some details.