Who are the guests?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the story the bride is not defined because that was not the point of the story. But I see that some want to make it the point.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
In the story the bride is not defined because that was not the point of the story. But I see that some want to make it the point.
ya, heard this before too, and i guess it is an explanation, even if not very satisfying, as obv the Bride of Christ would resist perceiving themselves as the guests?

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
At the wedding if we the church are the bride and Christ is the groom.
Who are the guests?

@"ByGrace" @ScottA @Miss Hepburn @VictoryinJesus @bbyrd009 @amadeus @Dcopymope @H.Richard

Matthew 22:1-14
'So those servants went out
into the highways,
and gathered together all
as many as they found,
both bad and good:
and the wedding was furnished with guests.
And when the king came in to see the guests,
he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: ... '

(Matthew 22:10-11)

Hello @Ally.s.j,

The King's son of course, as you say, is Christ Himself, and the marriage feast is the marriage supper of the Lamb (Rev. 19). The servants of the King go out three times, twice to the same people, and once, after the destruction of their city, into the highways.

* Those to whom the servants went the first time are called, 'them that were bidden' (or, 'the people invited'). So, the servants did not give the original invitation, but it had already been given. They merely went out to invite them that had been invited. This message met with refusal. Again the king sent the message of invitation adding the words:

'Tell them that have been invited,
behold, I have prepared my dinner,
my bullocks and the fatlings having been killed,
and all things are ready, come unto the marriage.'

(Matthew 22:4)

* These added words are by no means accidental. These two invitations, together with their differences, give us in parable form the ministries that occupy the period commencing with John the Baptist and ending with the close of the Acts of the Apostles. 'Them that are bidden' are the people of Israel. John the Baptist, the last of the prophets according to the Old Testament order, announces the good news, 'The kingdom of the heavens hath drawn nigh', and further, is spoken of as 'The friend of the Bridegroom'. He was to, 'make ready for the Lord a prepared people' (Luke 1:17), see Revelation 19:7 and the word, 'ready'.

'Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to Him:
for the marriage of the Lamb is come,
and His wife hath made herself ready.'

* The Lord Himself, the twelve, and the seventy continue this witness: and we know how sadly true the words of the parable are, 'they would not come'. The second invitation commences with the Acts of the Apostles. There, Peter and the twelve, and those associated with 'them that heard Him' (Heb. 2:3-4), went forth again with the invitation, this time being able to add, 'all things are ready', but we are told, 'they neglected it' (Matt. 22:5). (see also Heb. 2:3). What was the result,

'But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:
And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.'

(Mat 22:5-6)

* With the neglect of this, 'so great salvation', accompanied by the ill-treatment of His servants, 'they (Israel) had crucified unto themselves afresh the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame', and, 'trodden under foot the Son of God'. 'For if they escaped not who refused Him that spake on earth (first invitation), much more shall not we, if we turn away from Him that speaketh from heaven (Heb. 12:25) (second invitation). So, we read in (Matthew 22:7-28):-

'But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth:
and he sent forth his armies,
and destroyed those murderers,
and burned up their city.
Then saith he to his servants,
"The wedding is ready,
but they which were bidden were not worthy."

* In between verses 7 and 8 of Matthew 22, comes this present dispensation of the Mystery, between 'the acceptable year of the Lord; and, 'the day of vengeance of our God' (Luke 4:19; Isaiah 61:2): when the Lord once again takes up His purpose, and the servants go out once again and find in the highways, 'bad and good', who are not invited, but compelled to come. The wedding garment given by the King to all who were brought into the feast is an outward symbol of election. This will take place at the end of the age.

* The day will come when the dispersed sons of Abraham will be gathered from the four corners of the earth to sit down in the kingdom (Luke 13:29) (the third time the servants go out). Those who so miserably failed during the two ministries of the Gospels and the Acts period will be there, but not in a position of blessedness such as shall those who will have been gathered in. For them there will be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

* See also Luke 21:34-36 those accounted worthy to obtain the coming age.

Within the love of Christ our Saviour
Chris

PS: Sorry this is so long. Hope it is helpful. It was a blessing to me.
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ally.s.j

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The point in this context is that the "flesh" is spiritually the child of the bond woman, but the spirit the child of the free.
sure, but isn't it weird that the son of the bondwoman is treated as he is in Scripture, that being the case? Imo one would think that the symbology would dictate that he go down in flames, wouldn't it?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sure, but isn't it weird that the son of the bondwoman is treated as he is in Scripture, that being the case? Imo one would think that the symbology would dictate that he go down in flames, wouldn't it?
Well, yes, in a sense that is what happens: the flesh goes to the grave and is burned in the fire, but lives in would-be glory until passing away.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
well, except for a few Anabaptist ones, yes; but that is my pov, not yours lol.
you never went to church? Did not get your start in a church, i guess?
Whats ana baptist ones I know baptist I dont know ana or what that means.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
First I don't see where I said your verse was not in the Bible? Do you mean "every knee will bow"? If so, I think you misunderstood; I was agreeing with you on the verse. I apologize if I was confusing there.

I also don't disagree with you about the state of the physical church (within buildings) with its many squabbling denominations. You asked about all the hate (crusades) and again I agree when you say it is a manifestation of the flesh. My only point is: is it possible those that hate neighbor and kill claiming to be led by God to perform such acts are not led by the Spirit and do not know nor have ever seen God...or do we say the Spirit has failed to lead? You asked why I believe He leads His spiritual church(His body):

Romans 8:13-14 KJV
[13] For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. [14] For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

You are also right; maybe I need try being a student rather than a teacher. Speaking as one confused student, it seems we would rather sit under a lie rather than to come face to face with the truth, truth being God.

Sorry I never saw you agreeig with me
You clearly said that every knee will bow is not in the bible and I quoted it for you. I was not confused.

I know what lead by the Spirit is and its not in the church and is extremly rare. So if you do a number count on how many are lead by the spirit and dead to self the number is extremly very very very low. So as I said the church is a disgrace and it comes from misunderstanding from the teachers and leaders. We do sit under many lies. But the truth will set you free. But the problem is not many are fit to prach the truth and live the truth daily.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha, dunno; i haven't found the third death yet
Nor I.
Some people may say that they don't even have to worry about the second death taking them. If they are shown to be wrong, I wonder if they will ever know it?

in hindsight, yes; but obv His contemporaries did not think so, at least for 3 days, right
Even so for every one of us who had finds real Life and endures to the end. Yet would not some say that enduring to the end is not necessary because it would amount to us working?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we are all "two men in a bed," yes
Yes, but we should be working on kicking the bad guy out. Alone, we cannot do it. Some believe that being in the right church group will solve the problem of getting rid of the bad guy for them. I would move very slow in that direction, if at all.

Sometimes we may lose track of which guy is which. Help us dear Lord!

Reactions: Pisteuo and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Well, yes, in a sense that is what happens: the flesh goes to the grave and is burned in the fire, but lives in would-be glory until passing away.
hmm
we are all confident, i say, and would rather be absent from the body, and present with the Lord,
(everyone is not only convinced, i'm saying, but would also prefer to be dead, and embarked upon their resurrected life right now)
so we make it our goal to please God whether in the body or out of it
(but we need to make it our aim to please God no matter where we are instead)
because we must all appear before the judgement seat, to get repaid for our works, whether good or bad
(because you reap what you sow)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Whats ana baptist ones I know baptist I dont know ana or what that means.
Anabaptists--the Anarchists of the Kingdom, lol

course i guess anarchist means chaos agent to you right now prolly--that isn't an accident--but anyway, Amish/Mennonite types, google could splain better than me i guess. And i invoked them because in the old days at least, Amish held to a hope of salvation, and stuck with "who then might be saved?" rather than "once saved always saved" as a guiding mantra. Mennonites went somewhat the other way, although i don't think they went OSAS either. i think i got all that right.

Anyway, ever checked out a Mennonite church? City Mennonites would be right up your alley prolly, don't let the name scare you. Get ready for pastor to ask anyone if they have a Word on the message at the end of congregation, and the finances posted on the pastor's study door, but other than that just Hippies in church, near as i could tell :)

Reactions: Ally.s.j and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
If they are shown to be wrong, I wonder if they will ever know it?
if we're all so different on one level, several witnesses hearing the same thing and saying the same things about it should be a revelation, i would think.
Even so for every one of us who had finds real Life and endures to the end. Yet would not some say that enduring to the end is not necessary because it would amount to us working?
if only it were only some, huh. i know we are all convinced of the impression of the afterlife we have been provided by groupthink, and of course we would all rather be Partying with Jesus right now, but we forget that Paul agrees with James at the end of that passage, huh, everyone's works will be judged, regardless of whether one believes they need works for salvation or not. Personally i believe one week on, one week off in that area, just because i'm not totally sure of anything, just to see what diff it makes. i notice i get judged for my works either way i believe tho, i can't seem to impress upon those judging me how my belief that week should alter their opinions any lol

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Yes, but we should be working on kicking the bad guy out. Alone, we cannot do it. Some believe that being in the right church group will solve the problem of getting rid of the bad guy for them. I would move very slow in that direction, if at all.
ya, personally i recommend following one of the Hippies God sends you first, but of course they don't seem serious enough for most ppl, i guess, we wanna do Big Things for Jesus at that stage of our walk huh. Ppl doing Big Things wear suits and have haircuts i guess, drive 'lacs
Sometimes we may lose track of which guy is which. Help us dear Lord!
well, if the world seems to be melting and the sky seems to be falling, that should be a pretty good indicator imo. Leaving the world is a difficult concept to maintain, every physical benefit that i seem to enjoy is there, after all.