Who are 'the little children' Jesus talks about?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never happens to me...Squirrel! :)

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are the little children in bed with the Father, not the annoyance at the door.

Luke 11

"In bed with the father"? That really doesn't sound right, sounds kind of sexual if you ask me. How about "we are the children of God on his right hand, not the chumps on his left hand"? That sounds better to me. ;)

Reactions: Armadillo

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 11

Yes! The children are in bed with the Father!!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You say now 'you knew' yet you said you assumed in your post #3. Which is it.? aspen hasn't said anything to indicate you are right in your and others 'assumption'.
Well, Aspen liked my post and gave this response: "yes! Insightful!" i figure my assumption was correct.

I agree with you that a reference should've been given. But its clear what reference was being spoken of. Seriously: did you not know? Were you really clueless as to what reference this was?

Ok. Aspen told his thoughts, I gave the reference and Aspen confirmed. That ain't good enough?

Reactions: aspen

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Families slept together in the same bed in ancient times.

M'kay, and some still do actually. Its not something lost in the sands of time.

Luke 11

Yes! The children are in bed with the Father!!

I fail to see what Luke 11 has to do with me literally snuggling up between the sheets with the Father in heaven, my father on earth or anyone else for that matter. The closest verses you'll get to such a thing are those speaking of our bodies being the very temple of God, and nothing more than that.........and no, I won't be wearing a woman's gown on the Day of the Lord either.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the little children is a reference to seasoned believers who possess an unshakable childlike faith. A faith that isn't boastful or filled with pride.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Programs in church services often quench the Spirit of God people who are wishing to follow His lead. The pastor or preacher may not want it, but what if God does? Would you or anyone else want to stand in God's way because He is not on the program?
Of course not. But God is going to let the Pastor know... Not the sheep. That's just a sidenote.

This is a messageboard, not an academic discussion. I understand that. Furthermore I have seen some great discussions come from getting off task. So ifvthat is where the spirit takes us, so be it.

On the other hand, the OP is pretty good and should not be deserted. I agree... In this case the derailing topic is also good. I am just not ready to abandon the OP yet.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DPMartin said something in one of his posts that spurred a thought in me.

Absolutely... The children had humbleness and were converted. Even faith I suppose. But let us not forget an undeniable truth about children: they grow up!

What then?

Its good to have that blind faith that a child has.... Someone spoke along those lines in a post here. But it must at least be sustained, if not nurtured.

Paul moved from milk to meat. A mustard seed is enough, but it grows into a great tree. We are to raise up a child in the way it should go. There are newborns and then elders....

Just some thoughts to provoke conversation.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Aspen liked my post and gave this response: "yes! Insightful!" i figure my assumption was correct.

I agree with you that a reference should've been given. But its clear what reference was being spoken of. Seriously: did you not know? Were you really clueless as to what reference this was?

Ok. Aspen told his thoughts, I gave the reference and Aspen confirmed. That ain't good enough?

Oh, aspen liked your post. So what? You gave him some Scripture that he may have been alluding to. He didn't know where it was else he would have said. He was looking for someone like you to show him. And so you did.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, aspen liked your post. So what? You gave him some Scripture that he may have been alluding to. He didn't know where it was else he would have said. He was looking for someone like you to show him. And so you did.
Do you really believe that? Aspen has a long, rich history on this board including some epic battles with me. He ain't a newbie.

You can google anything and I would be willing to bet at least 50% of all folks on this board have bible software on their computer or cell phone. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like 95%.

The man just didn't reference it. His bad... So what? Did you not know what he was talking about?

I will ask again. Did you not know that it was Mat 18 that was being spoken of? Yes... i had to use a search engine to find it, but I knew what he was tlking about.

You didn't?

Reactions: Helen and Job

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DPMartin said something in one of his posts that spurred a thought in me.

Absolutely... The children had humbleness and were converted. Even faith I suppose. But let us not forget an undeniable truth about children: they grow up!

What then?

Its good to have that blind faith that a child has.... Someone spoke along those lines in a post here. But it must at least be sustained, if not nurtured.

Paul moved from milk to meat. A mustard seed is enough, but it grows into a great tree. We are to raise up a child in the way it should go. There are newborns and then elders....

Just some thoughts to provoke conversation.

Yes, children's faith is sincere and passionate - I also think it is genuinely full of awe and wonder - it's like they can't wait to see how things work and unfold. I think the best part of faith is that sort of exciting 'holding your breathe feeling', waiting to see what happens. It is much more alive than simply a commitment - yet that is an important part of faith, as well.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I fail to see what Luke 11 has to do with me literally snuggling up between the sheets with the Father in heaven, my father on earth or anyone else for that matter. The closest verses you'll get to such a thing are those speaking of our bodies being the very temple of God, and nothing more than that.........and no, I won't be wearing a woman's gown on the Day of the Lord either.

Hopefully...you have put on Christ, His righteousness making you a virtuous woman to be sought after; who can find one? A pearl of great price in a field.

Bed is intended spiritually, it is not a literal bed with sheets. And it is undefiled.

Revelation 2:22-23 KJV
[22] Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. [23] And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

The marriage bed in Hebrews 13:4 is a reflection of the heavenly. Adultery is not accepted in the undefiled marriage bed.

Same as "little children" can be spirtual "little children" or physical children. One displays the other and gives understanding to the spiritual.

Sadly, you are overlooking a significant promise to a son in Luke 11, because you can't get pass the bed...and a woman's gown

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question: since the names of "the little children" are written in the Lambs book of life before the foundation of the earth? Then is Jesus saying all "little children" have faith and are saved? If that is the case, then as one grows up and denies Christ, is salvation then taken away from the "little children" that don't believe and their name then removed?

You must be reborn, and become like little children. Spiritual. Fed with milk and then meat of the Word.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course not. But God is going to let the Pastor know... Not the sheep. That's just a sidenote.

This is a messageboard, not an academic discussion. I understand that. Furthermore I have seen some great discussions come from getting off task. So ifvthat is where the spirit takes us, so be it.

On the other hand, the OP is pretty good and should not be deserted. I agree... In this case the derailing topic is also good. I am just not ready to abandon the OP yet.
Give God the glory, my friend!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
children: they grow up!

What then?
they "fall," and are then elected or ordained into positions of influence, generally in direct correlation with how far they have fallen imo
But it must at least be sustained, if not nurtured.
imo "rediscovered" maybe. But there are those--hippies and the like--who we say "never grew up" right. Of course no one would elect them to anything though lol...but mostly i doubt that they would even accept the position!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not why Jesus mentioned her. He was showing His disciples an example of true faith.

Mark 12
42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

The widow giving all she had is worth more to God than all who gave from their abundance. She gave out of faith, the others were giving to be seen.

That's how I view that passage.

k

I was responding to VIC's statement, giving out of want, should have said, that I never gave any thought to it being pressure, Your last statement is the way I have always perceived it!!

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Programs in church services often quench the Spirit of God people who are wishing to follow His lead. The pastor or preacher may not want it, but what if God does? Would you or anyone else want to stand in God's way because He is not on the program?
Amen ! That seems to be the main problem within fellowships.......ANY mention of the reality of Christ as The Resurrected Son of Man / Son of God, and they all seem to run for the hills.. they feel safer following what they see as God's words written in stone, than the Word, which according to the Bible they claim to follow says, "The Word is ALIVE and powerful, even to the dividing of the soul and the spirit......The soul being the intellect/emotion/understanding of mankind in the world...

Reactions: Helen