Who has read Malachi lately?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess the purpose of the thread was to encourage its reading and re-reading. :)
Well, ok..

Malachi 1:3 KJV
And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.

This verse says he hated Esau. Let's skip up to Romans 9.

Romans 9:13 KJV
As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

Folks love to dive into Strong's concordance and note that in this verse, it really means "by hate" he means "loved less". When you go to Strong's, yea... It is a secondary definition. But since Paul was quoting Malachi, we should look at the Strong's definition for "hate" there... And it means "hate". Not, "loved less".

So Mal 1:3. Is one of my favorite verses. It destroys this notion that God loved Esau... Just less thank Jacob. It was a rediculous argument to begin with... Goday have loved Esau, but he was rejected. And I there isn't a lot of love for him in this chapter, even after repentance.

That's a start... I would then move on to the 3rd chapter and discuss giving. It's amazing how many Christians hate it.

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well, ok..

And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.

Folks love to dive into Strong's concordance and note that in this verse, it really means "by hate" he means "loved less". When you go to Strong's, yea... It is a secondary definition. But since Paul was quoting Malachi, we should look at the Strong's definition for "hate" there... And it means "hate". Not, "loved less".

So Mal 1:3. Is one of my favorite verses. It destroys this notion that God loved Esau... Just less thank Jacob. It was a rediculous argument to begin with... Goday have loved Esau, but he was rejected. And I there isn't a lot of love for him in this chapter, even after repentance.

That's a start... I would then move on to the 3rd chapter and discuss giving. It's amazing how many Christians hate it.
Yes, Romans 9 also is very searching, right?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess the purpose of the thread was to encourage its reading and re-reading. :)
Well, ok..

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well, ok..

I like to link the subject of giving with 2 Corinthians 9.15.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@firstthings1st. Thank-you for the 'like' about the Malachi post on the other thread.

"Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name." (Malachi 3.16)

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@firstthings1st. Thank-you for the 'like' about the Malachi post on the other thread.

"Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name." (Malachi 3.16)
Amen, Great verse, it reminds me of all them who had called upon that blessed name of Jesus Christ.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Back a bit, you said:
Nope, can't say I have. My bible study group went through Micah recently, but I haven't been through Malachi...hmm, I can't remember how long!
It's definitely a book that should be read more; so much that is applicable and challenging.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Back a bit, you said:
It's definitely a book that should be read more; so much that is applicable and challenging.
I don't doubt that its challenging! So much of the prophets are...you definitely need a large cup of coffee and a brain not fogged with sleep!
Hopefully I'll get there one day. I'm working through a devotional on Romans 8 at the moment...so good!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't doubt that its challenging! So much of the prophets are...you definitely need a large cup of coffee and a brain not fogged with sleep!
Hopefully I'll get there one day. I'm working through a devotional on Romans 8 at the moment...so good!
Romans 8 is so deep and sublime, and awesome in its implications...

Yes, Malachi is an important little book!

(I don't drink coffee; though it seems to me that with some challenging Old Testament passages some readers might even - regrettably - think they need nicotine.)

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Romans 8 is so deep and sublime, and awesome in its implications...

Yes, Malachi is an important little book!

(I don't drink coffee; though it seems to me that with some challenging Old Testament passages some readers might even - regrettably - think they need nicotine.)
Doesn't nicotine just give you a head spin? How could that possibly help? :rolleyes: Of course, if you're already addicted then perhaps, sure, I can see it might quieten your nerves to be able to concentrate. I suppose it's easy to roll our eyes at people who have 'unacceptable' addictions, when really, things like caffiene and sugar are probably just as bad, except they're socially acceptable!