Who is Nehushtan? Why isn't Christ Nehushtan? Why hasn't your pastor ever so much as mentioned...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nehushtan

The word occurs but once, namely, in 2 Kings 18:4.

He (King Hezekiah of Juda) removed the high places and broke the sacred pillars, cut down the wooden imagea]" and broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made; for until those days the children of Israel burned incense to it, and called it Nehushtan.”

In the account there given of the reforms carried out by Hezekiah, it is said that "he brake in pieces the brazen serpent that Moses had made; for unto those days the children of Israel did burn incense to it; and he called it Nehushtan." According to the Revised Version margin the word means "a piece of brass." If this be correct, the sense of the passage is that Hezekiah not only breaks the brazen serpent in pieces but, suiting the word to the act, scornfully calls it "a (mere) piece of brass" (Not any different from the wooden images which were likewise being worshiped). Hezekiah thus takes his place as a true reformer, and as a champion of the purification of the religion of Israel. This is the traditional interpretation of the passage, and fairly represents the Hebrew text as it now stands.

There are at least three considerations, however, which throw doubt upon this interpretation. In the first place, the word Nehushtan is not a common noun, and cannot mean simply "a piece of brass." The point of the Biblical statement is entirely lost by such a construction. It is emphatically a proper noun, and is the special name given to this particular brazen serpent. As such it would be sacred to all worshipers of the brazen serpent, and familiar to all who frequented the Temple. In the second place, it is probable that Nehushtan is to be derived from nachash, "serpent," rather than from nechosheth, "brass."

The name of the image would more probably be based on its form rather than on the material out of which it was made. Likewise from the reading it states. “and (they) called it”, this implies that Nehushtan was the name by which the serpent-image was generally known during the years it was worshiped, rather than an expression used for the first time by Hezekiah on the occasion of its destruction.

Whichever derivation be adopted, however, the word must be construed as a proper name. If it be derived from "brass," then the translation must be, not "a piece of brass," but "The (great) Brass," giving the word a special sense by which it refers unequivocally to the well-known image made of brass. If it be derived from "serpent," then the translation must be, "The (great) Serpent," the word in this case referring in a special sense to the well-known image in serpent form. But the significance of the word probably lies far back of any etymological explanation of it that can now be given. It is not a term that can be adequately explained by reference to verbal roots, but is rather an epitome of the reverence of those who, however mistakenly, looked upon the brazen serpent as a proper object of worship.” (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Page 5693)

“The reform of Hezekiah was one of the high points of Israel's history during the period of the kings. The brazen serpent which had played such an important role in the wilderness wanderings of the chosen people (Numbers 21:5-9) had become worshiped as a relic. Seeing how it was being used, Hezekiah had it broken in pieces so that the Israelite's could no longer burn incense to it. He further demeaned it by renaming it Nehushtan, which means "a thing of brass"--in other words, a brass object of no special significance.”

In Rom 1:23, Paul speaks of this tendency of man to build his own visible objects of worship replacing the invisible realities behind them: "And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.”

This was the problem with Israel when they built the golden calf in their fear that Moses would not come down from Mt. Sinai (Exodus 32). The same tendency is noted in Hab 1:14-16,

Why do you make men like fish of the sea, like creeping things that have no ruler over them? They take up all of them with a hook; they catch them in their net, and gather them in their dragnet. Therefore they rejoice and are glad. Therefore they sacrifice to their net, and burn incense to their dragnet; because by them their share is sumptuous and their food plentiful."

The worship was directed to the net instead of to God who made the fish for man's meat.

In a very real sense, the brazen serpent of Moses' day was a symbol of the cross of Christ. Only too frequently today we see the death of Christ trivialized by conspicuous golden jewelry. If this is worn only for its aesthetic effects, the cross becomes, like the brazen serpent in Hezekiah's day, "a thing of metal."

It is not the instrument of the death that we must worship, but the one who died thereon. If the visible object replaces the invisible reality, it is to be discarded and called Nehushtan--a worthless thing.” (The Herald of Christ’s Kingdom, March/April 1999 Page 50)

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nehushtan

The word occurs but once, namely, in 2 Kings 18:4.

He (King Hezekiah of Juda) removed the high places and broke the sacred pillars, cut down the wooden imagea]" and broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made; for until those days the children of Israel burned incense to it, and called it Nehushtan.”

In the account there given of the reforms carried out by Hezekiah, it is said that "he brake in pieces the brazen serpent that Moses had made; for unto those days the children of Israel did burn incense to it; and he called it Nehushtan." According to the Revised Version margin the word means "a piece of brass." If this be correct, the sense of the passage is that Hezekiah not only breaks the brazen serpent in pieces but, suiting the word to the act, scornfully calls it "a (mere) piece of brass" (Not any different from the wooden images which were likewise being worshiped). Hezekiah thus takes his place as a true reformer, and as a champion of the purification of the religion of Israel. This is the traditional interpretation of the passage, and fairly represents the Hebrew text as it now stands.

There are at least three considerations, however, which throw doubt upon this interpretation. In the first place, the word Nehushtan is not a common noun, and cannot mean simply "a piece of brass." The point of the Biblical statement is entirely lost by such a construction. It is emphatically a proper noun, and is the special name given to this particular brazen serpent. As such it would be sacred to all worshipers of the brazen serpent, and familiar to all who frequented the Temple. In the second place, it is probable that Nehushtan is to be derived from nachash, "serpent," rather than from nechosheth, "brass."

The name of the image would more probably be based on its form rather than on the material out of which it was made. Likewise from the reading it states. “and (they) called it”, this implies that Nehushtan was the name by which the serpent-image was generally known during the years it was worshiped, rather than an expression used for the first time by Hezekiah on the occasion of its destruction.

Whichever derivation be adopted, however, the word must be construed as a proper name. If it be derived from "brass," then the translation must be, not "a piece of brass," but "The (great) Brass," giving the word a special sense by which it refers unequivocally to the well-known image made of brass. If it be derived from "serpent," then the translation must be, "The (great) Serpent," the word in this case referring in a special sense to the well-known image in serpent form. But the significance of the word probably lies far back of any etymological explanation of it that can now be given. It is not a term that can be adequately explained by reference to verbal roots, but is rather an epitome of the reverence of those who, however mistakenly, looked upon the brazen serpent as a proper object of worship.” (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Page 5693)

“The reform of Hezekiah was one of the high points of Israel's history during the period of the kings. The brazen serpent which had played such an important role in the wilderness wanderings of the chosen people (Numbers 21:5-9) had become worshiped as a relic. Seeing how it was being used, Hezekiah had it broken in pieces so that the Israelite's could no longer burn incense to it. He further demeaned it by renaming it Nehushtan, which means "a thing of brass"--in other words, a brass object of no special significance.”

In Rom 1:23, Paul speaks of this tendency of man to build his own visible objects of worship replacing the invisible realities behind them: "And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.”

This was the problem with Israel when they built the golden calf in their fear that Moses would not come down from Mt. Sinai (Exodus 32). The same tendency is noted in Hab 1:14-16,

Why do you make men like fish of the sea, like creeping things that have no ruler over them? They take up all of them with a hook; they catch them in their net, and gather them in their dragnet. Therefore they rejoice and are glad. Therefore they sacrifice to their net, and burn incense to their dragnet; because by them their share is sumptuous and their food plentiful."

The worship was directed to the net instead of to God who made the fish for man's meat.

In a very real sense, the brazen serpent of Moses' day was a symbol of the cross of Christ. Only too frequently today we see the death of Christ trivialized by conspicuous golden jewelry. If this is worn only for its aesthetic effects, the cross becomes, like the brazen serpent in Hezekiah's day, "a thing of metal."

It is not the instrument of the death that we must worship, but the one who died thereon. If the visible object replaces the invisible reality, it is to be discarded and called Nehushtan--a worthless thing.” (The Herald of Christ’s Kingdom, March/April 1999 Page 50)

I did so much like your response, That was Great, 2nd King.s maybe read it twice years ago

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Amen to the last ( new) good posts on here.
At least we know what bbyrd009 means now when he gives it a mention.
I was ignorant of this...I thought it was just one "happening" in the wilderness.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Christ died because of my sins

and.....More ?
I mean from you!
Since the creation of mankind God made man for union (Bridehood)
"He walked and talked in the garden with Adam in the cool of the evening"
So I believe it is much more the the sin issue.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
and.....More ?
I mean from you!
i totally agree, the subject never comes up in Church for me
pretty much only herenow

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
and.....More ?
I mean from you!
imo we were designed for missing the mark, and learning from that how to hit the mark, so to speak anyway.
i have a great parable involving judgemental believers being asked what verdict they think a judge should render, only to discover afterward that the judgement will be applied to some offense their kids committed lol; but it is too pointed for here i guess

anyway i agree.

imo the pertinent issue, that pretty much anyone can apply, is that we each found the world, and we each kill Christ in the process, and Jesus is not going to save us like we are taught; following Jesus will, but "believing in" Jesus is strictly the cheering section, and worshipping Jesus, yikes, what were we thinking?

Reactions: Episkopos

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
A bit of history

What was Nehushtan?

The snakes on the medical symbol? Life and death?

As a snakebite, how do you cure it? With more venom.

Just food for thought.
wow, that GQ response is quite decent, i am impressed. The deeper stuff is not coming out there, for instance where the snakes came from, why the importance of Nehushtan being bronze or brass, etc, but the conclusion is pretty good imo.

and our relationship to doctors is a mirror of the same ailment i guess, briefly, we seek relief in "Jesus" from the symptoms of our self inflicted snake-bites, and this concept sells quite well to the many buyers who naturally just want relief from what is then perceived as a free-standing problem rather than just the symptom that it is, making us buyers of...oh, all kinds of crap, antibiotics for better biosis, war as a means to peace, you name it

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wow, that GQ response is quite decent, i am impressed. The deeper stuff is not coming out there, for instance where the snakes came from, why the importance of Nehushtan being bronze or brass, etc, but the conclusion is pretty good imo.

and our relationship to doctors is a mirror of the same ailment i guess, briefly, we seek relief in "Jesus" from the symptoms of our self inflicted snake-bites, and this concept sells quite well to the many buyers who naturally just want relief from what is then perceived as a free-standing problem rather than just the symptom that it is, making us buyers of...oh, all kinds of crap, antibiotics for better biosis, war as a means to peace, you name it
Remember also this woman who had gone to the doctors:

"And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any,
Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched." Luke 8:43-44

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
333 to be exact! HA! funny
About 330 results
Who is Nehushtan? Why isn't Christ Nehushtan? Why hasn't your pastor ever so much as mentioned...
November 21, 2017 • 31 posts • 507 views
Bible Study Forum
#1 - bbyrd009
Nehushtan is--rather strangely, gotta seek it--the name given to the Snake on a Pole the Wanderers had to "look to" when they got snake-bit in the Wilderness--back in Exodus--in order to live. 2 Kings 18:4. Are you worshipping Nehushtan ...

Please explain this.[/paste:font]
July 07, 2019 • 1303 posts • 5830 views
Christian Theology Forum
#1000+ - bbyrd009
So that will get you all the way to Nehushtan, ok bro? and supercalifragilisticexpialidocio ... to you you too!

ADDING WORKS:[/paste:font]
June 30, 2019 • 142 posts • 639 views
Christian Theology Forum
#110 - bbyrd009
And ppl like Nehushtan, yes? Nehushtan is very comforting, we can all go read how Nehushtan relieves ppl of their self-inflicted sins, see. Bc they do not have to confess anything ...

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting...

Brass is a "base" metal. The message is that God has given one base creature as a cure for the another base creature. Meaning that just as Satan had power from God and was brought low, so was Christ, the one fallen, the other raised up. This is the mystery of not worshiping carved images, nor even the Son, but the Father only.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Okay, that is what I want to understand...ie Nehushtan worship today.

I just thought Israel kept the brazen serpent like they did the golden calf...and worshipped it. Maybe I would have understood it better if you'd said "people today are still worshipping the golden calf"...
I presume any worship or idol we have outside of The Lord is calf or snake worship?
Is that what you mean?
Sorry for being so clueless here
I'd just never heard the term before.
BG....you need to go and refresh your information of the golden calf. It was never kept. It was burnt then ground to powder by Moses and cast into a water course. You'll find the story in Deuteronomy 9:13-21

I am actually surprised that the story as basic as this is not remembered. Israel was repeatedly told to not forget these things. Deuteronomy is a repeat and reminder of their past story yet they forgot again and again and again.
Christians today are guilty of the same. They learn something years ago but don't follow up on refreshers and sharpeners. Complacency places them in a position of being easily hoodwinked

Reactions: Helen

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BG....you need to go and refresh your information of the golden calf. It was never kept. It was burnt then ground to powder by Moses and cast into a water course. You'll find the story in Deuteronomy 9:13-21

I am actually surprised that the story as basic as this is not remembered. Israel was repeatedly told to not forget these things. Deuteronomy is a repeat and reminder of their past story yet they forgot again and again and again.
Christians today are guilty of the same. They learn something years ago but don't follow up on refreshers and sharpeners. Complacency places them in a position of being easily hoodwinked

Blessings in Christ Jesus! Hoodwinked? He who is born from above have both The Father and The Son(The Holy Spirit) ever present. This is why it is said, "If possible the elect" and "They can drink any deadly thing (anything false) and it will not harm them." The Holly Spirit is quick to correct false doctrine and bring to remembrance all that Jesus said. Some times, it can be as simple as "Not so" followed up with The Truth. For Israel this is true, for they were a stiff necked people and destined to fail, but for us He provided a more excellent way, Himself.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Blessings in Christ Jesus! Hoodwinked? He who is born from above have both The Father and The Son(The Holy Spirit) ever present. This is why it is said, "If possible the elect" and "They can drink any deadly thing (anything false) and it will not harm them." The Holly Spirit is quick to correct false doctrine and bring to remembrance all that Jesus said. Some times, it can be as simple as "Not so" followed up with The Truth. For Israel this is true, for they were a stiff necked people and destined to fail, but for us He provided a more excellent way, Himself.
It is those who consider themselves immune from deception that become the devils sport irrespective of whether they claim to be believers or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: GTW27 and Acolyte

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is those who consider themselves immune from deception that become the devils sport irrespective of whether they claim to be believers or not.
Irrespective of your response, the words written above will remain. Perhaps this will help someone on these boards, as hoodwinking is done on these boards quite often. As for the enemy making sport, this he does, out of his pride, but we are not ignorant of his devises. He can slow the train, but he can not prevent it from reaching its destination. Be Blessed queitthinker!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All it was, was a symbol of the poisonous snakes that The LORD had sent upon them because of their rebellion in the wilderness against Him. They had lost their faith. So God sent the snakes to bite them. When the people asked Moses to intercede to God for them, that's when God told Moses to make the brass serpent on a pole and say to those who will look upon it (i.e, while believing God will heal them) will be healed. So its main purpose was to present God's Salvation to them according to their Faith on Him, which of course is symbolic also of our Lord Jesus upon the cross.

But it in no way means a serpent symbolizes Christ nor His Salvation. The serpent image was chosen for the brass serpent on a pole to represent the snakes they had been bitten by.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All it was, was a symbol of the poisonous snakes that The LORD had sent upon them because of their rebellion in the wilderness against Him. They had lost their faith. So God sent the snakes to bite them. When the people asked Moses to intercede to God for them, that's when God told Moses to make the brass serpent on a pole and say to those who will look upon it (i.e, while believing God will heal them) will be healed. So its main purpose was to present God's Salvation to them according to their Faith on Him, which of course is symbolic also of our Lord Jesus upon the cross.

But it in no way means a serpent symbolizes Christ nor His Salvation. The serpent image was chosen for the brass serpent on a pole to represent the snakes they had been bitten by.
And today are there not people pronouncing with their mouths the name Jesus but speaking with tongues of snakes their own man made ideas effectively biting the hearers and filling them with poisonous messages Not from God?

The original message when God protected people against the snakes was based on truth available through Moses, but by the time King Hezekiah had Nehushtan destroyed only a lie was being preached and received.

"Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away." II Tim 3:5

The snake looked the same to the carnal eye but there was no longer anything from God in it.

We see this today when a person who has met Jesus then goes astray losing his first love... in his delusion not realizing that what he calls Jesus is only an empty powerless idol, a modern day Nehushtan, made by some man.

They may still speak the name, Jesus but without knowing him at all...

"They have mouths, but they speak not: eyes have they, but they see not: 6 They have ears, but they hear not: noses have they, but they smell not:
They have hands, but they handle not: feet have they, but they walk not: neither speak they through their throat.
They that make them are like unto them; so is every one that trusteth in them" Psalm 115:5-8

Who will destroy all of the Nehushtans today?

Last edited: