Who Is "the Restrainer" In 2 Thess. 2:6-7

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing I've noticed about antinomians is they cannot discern the difference between "Christian Origination" and "Christian Obligation".

Everyone knows about the origin of Christian life: "For ye are saved by grace through faith, and that not of yourselves. It is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast."

But when it comes to "Christian Obligation", well, that's like pouring cold water on someone's head. It's called "Reasonable service" or "All that your heavenly Father hath commanded you to do" or "the whole duty of man", right?

They are not the Ten Suggestions. Surely, you don't find the Ten Commandments "grievous"?
What does this have to do with entering God's rest by receiving Jesus Christ and keeping every day as the Sabbath? Are you arguing to keep a sinful life 6 days out of 7?

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Secular is impossible since he will claim to be a God.
Secular is a state of mind:
The fool has said in his heart,
There is no God.”
They are corrupt,
They have done abominable works,
There is none who does good.
Psalms 14:1
People who use religion to gain political support, are secular in the way they live, just worldly people with a fascia of religion.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In 2 Thess 2:6-7 it talks about the restrainer who is holding back evil and lawlessness.I am curious as to what people here think Paul is talking about.I am pressed for time so I will return later to read what is said and to give my personal opinion.Please...keep it simple and only post Bible verses if they actually directly pertain to this specific topic.Again, directly pertain to this specific topic. It is so difficult to wade through some threads here because some people seem to think volume equates quality.Thank you in advance.

And yet again.......................

The one in 2 Thessalonians 2 doing the withholding is Archangel Michael. This was actually shown in the Daniel 10 Chapter, which is a look into heavenly events about the angels and even Satan.

But OF COURSE, those who don't read their Old Testament Books wouldn't know this, which is showing their colors, i.e., laziness in study of God's Word. The new babe has an excuse, but not those who should be on the "strong meat" of The Word.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In 2 Thess 2:6-7 it talks about the restrainer who is holding back evil and lawlessness.I am curious as to what people here think Paul is talking about.I am pressed for time so I will return later to read what is said and to give my personal opinion.Please...keep it simple and only post Bible verses if they actually directly pertain to this specific topic.Again, directly pertain to this specific topic. It is so difficult to wade through some threads here because some people seem to think volume equates quality.Thank you in advance.

Here is an example in scripture for how those professing believers that went astray are still His.

Paul addressed the falling away from the faith in the latter days as that was to happen first before He appears for the gathering ( the rapture ) in 2 Thessalonians 3:1-3 as that was to happen first before the great tribulation and that son of perdition event.

Paul said that this iniquity was happening even in his day per 2 Thessalonians 2:7 before mentioning that son of perdition in verse 8 before jumping back to describing what that iniquity was; saved believers believing the lie that they can receive the Holy Spirit again apart from salvation after a sign. Thus what was taken out of the way, the restraining part of the Holy Spirit in verse 7 and be discern with Him and applied as for why & how God would permit the strong delusion to occur for when saved believers believe that lie.

We can know that is the iniquity spoken of when in 2 Thessalonians 2:13-15 Paul reminds them of the tradition taught of us of when we had received the sanctification of the Spirit and the belief of the truth at the calling of the gospel which exposes the lie of thinking they can receive the Holy Spirit again apart from salvation.

We can see this chaos or the disorderly conduct of those that have fallen away from the faith in "slain in the spirit" phenomenon, holy laughter movement, Pensacola Outpouring, Toronto's Blessings, Ernest Angeley's Healing Crusade for when he announces the "Holy Spirit" falling on already saved believers to make them lose self control and fall backwards as we can see that happen also when those hoping for another baptism with the Holy Ghost with evidence of tongues.

Self control which is the fruit of the Spirit called temperance, has been removed ( that restraining fruit of the Holy Spirit in us ) for believing that lie for why those strong delusions has occurred.

So Paul goes on to address those disorderly believers that departed from faith and that no longer walk after the traditions taught of us in how with the Lord's help as in touching us, we are commanded by the Lord to withdraw from them per 2 Thessalonians 3:1-7 and yet we are to do so, not to treat them as the enemy, but admonish them as brothers still because they are still His and thus still saved; 2 Thessalonians 3:14-15

One may see with His help how the parable of the ten virgins apply to them for being out to the market seeking to be filled with oil ( Holy Spirit ) was why they were not ready but yet the foolish were still part of that kingdom of heaven, even though they were denied the wedding receptions for not being ready because they were in that iniquity that denied Him as always being Spirit filled since salvation. Matthew 9:17 & John 6:35

Anyway, as you may see, we cannot judge anyone as not a true saint when they have been bought & sealed as His.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

There is a danger of denying Him by how we judge others when the Lord had bought them as that can also be done by heresy too.

2 Peter 2:1But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

We can mark false teachers to warn others by, but not judged them as unsaved or not a true believer. With His help, when refusing corrections, we are to shun them.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only satan can and will be the anti- Christ ,sure we have a lot of people with the spirit of anti-Christ in them,however they are not.
satan along with his angels will come to this earth from a different dimension ,they are super natural beings and we will see them up close and personal .
How can "antichrist be Satan" when John says they were once with us standing side by side, preaching, healing, baptizing, but they "went out from us" in apostasy. That's not a description of Satan - that's a description of MEN.

I can see you've not studied Protestant Historicism, so I'll refrain from trying to convince you of things that are new. But, it's my belief that if a school of thought dominated the Protestant world for over THREE HUNDRED SOLID YEARS and was believed exclusively by the Protestant church and preached from every Protestant pulpit under the sun, there must be a good reason for why those great men believed as such, and that alone makes Historicism worthy of serious investigation, right or wrong?

It should also be said that because of the preaching of Protestant Historicism and the resulting catastrophic damage that the Papacy incurred, the Jesuits were commissioned to produce and alternative prophetic interpretation which would deflect the accusations of Historicism, and from that two eschatological schools of thought emerged: Jesuit FUTURISM and Jesuit PRETERISM..are you a Futurist or a Preterist?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why don't you ask the Early Church Fathers who they said Paul was talking about when he wrote to the Thessalonians about the subject of the Restrainer? After all, they lived in a time not to far removed from Paul, whereas we now live 2,000 years later. Who is in a better position to know what was the prevailing teaching of the early church, US or THEM?

H. Grattan Guinness, England's greatest prophecy teacher, wrote this:

"Here (2 Thessalonians 2:5-6 KJV) we have a point on which Paul affirms the existence of knowledge in the Christian Church. The early Church knew, he says, what this hindrance was. The early Church tells us what it did know upon the subject, and no one in these days can be in a position to contradict its testimony as to what Paul had, by word of mouth only, told the Thessalonians. It is a point on which ancient tradition alone can have any authority. Modern speculation is positively impertinent on such a subject."

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does this have to do with entering God's rest by receiving Jesus Christ and keeping every day as the Sabbath? Are you arguing to keep a sinful life 6 days out of 7?
Does the commandment say we are to rest everyday? No, it says we are to work six days and rest the seventh.

Yes, we enter into Christ's SPIRITUAL rest and Hebrews 4:9-10 KJV says the outward expression of this inward condition is the keeping of Sabbath, just like BAPTISM is the outward expression of our inward decision to die to self, be buried, and be resurrected to newness of life in Jesus.

If we refrain from work everyday, we are not holy, we're lazy.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Does the commandment say we are to rest everyday? No, it says we are to work six days and rest the seventh.

Yes, we enter into Christ's SPIRITUAL rest and Hebrews 4:9-10 KJV says the outward expression of this inward condition is the keeping of Sabbath, just like BAPTISM is the outward expression of our inward decision to die to self, be buried, and be resurrected to newness of life in Jesus.

Matthew 11:28 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

The word "rest" means "sabbath" in the Hebrew tongue. Christ becomes our sabbath, all of our sabbaths when we accept Him, repent and believe on His name. What Christ is saying here is those that have eyes to see and ears to hear with understanding, and are laboring in this world; why do you carry your heavy burdens alone? Let me lighten those loads, and give you rest from your burdens and cares that weigh heavy on you..

Christ became our Sabbath and in Him we rest every day ,has nothing to do with work.

(4) Exodus 20:8 "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy."

Our Lord Jesus Christ came to fulfill all of the blood statutes and ordinances, but the rest of the law still stands, including each of these ten commandments. In the case of this fourth commandment, Jesus did not destroy this commandment, but He became our Sabbath. He became our Sabbath just as He became our Passover. Jesus is the highest day of Christianity. I Corinthians 5:6, 7 "Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?" [6] "Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us."

Exodus 20:9 "Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:"

Exodus 20:10 "But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:"

Sabbath was made for a rest day for man, and his animals. However it also states in Hebrew 4 that just as Jesus was became our Passover, He also became our Sabbath or rest, and we enter into that rest in Jesus Christ by our faith in Him. So each day becomes our sabbath to where we cease from our own works, and enter into the works of God. In verse eleven: "Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief." There is no other rest than to be in Christ.

To the priest the Sabbath becomes a work day, for all priest work on the Sabbath. However, in that each member of the body of Christ is a priest unto God, it becomes a workday to us also. Historically the first day of the new year was at the spring Vernal Equinox, and that marked the first day of the new year. So we can see the way that the days that are marked today by our modern day calendars are not true markings of God's Sabbath days.

Today's calendar is man's device to regulate time for his own well being. Saturday is not the true Sabbath, but it is accepted by man as being so. Saturday was named by man after Satan's planet, Saturn. The Sabbath day falls on the true Sabbath on God's solar calendar, and in that Christ became our Sabbath, we must be in Christ each and every day of the year. If you have come to respect the day as sacred, rather than focusing on Christ continually, it would be good to do a study on Colossians chapter two and read what Paul had to say about the Sabbath.

Last edited:

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The "rest" represented by the commandment is to cease from works to establish righteousness. This has nothing to do with laziness or even physical labor. Jesus worked every day of the week as did His disciples (as a necessity of survival). Was the Lord guilty of transgression?

.3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. Romans 4:3-4

So, since you reject God's grace in Christ Jesus, what does Romans 4:4 mean? What does it mean that your wages are counted as debt for seeking to establish your own righteousness through the works of the law?

Do you keep the law perfectly? Do you have a perfect lifetime record?
If you've failed in any point in the law, scripture says that you are guilty of breaking the covenant of law and live under all the curses listed in chapter 29 of the book of Deuteronomy.
14 “I make this covenant and this oath, not with you alone, 15 but with him who stands here with us today before the Lord our God, as well as with him who is not here with us today Deuteronomy 29:14-15

10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. James 2:10

Are you content to live under the curse? I would suggest you think carefully before answering. Heaven is "listening."

4 For if He were on earth, He would not be a priest, since there are priests who offer the gifts according to the law; 5 who serve the copy and shadow of the heavenly things, as Moses was divinely instructed when he was about to make the tabernacle. For He said, “See that you make all things according to the pattern shown you on the mountain.” 6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises. Hebrews 8:4-6

For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. 2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins. 3 But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. Hebrews10:1-3

15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.
Colossians 2:15-17

You can not live under the covenant of law and the covenant of grace at the same time. The new and better covenant replaces the old and weaker covenant. The covenant of law is dependent upon the works of men. The covenant of peace upon the works of God. Are you subject to the principalities and powers of heaven, or are you subject to Jesus Christ?

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 11:28 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

The word "rest" means "sabbath" in the Hebrew tongue. Christ becomes our sabbath, all of our sabbaths when we accept Him, repent and believe on His name. What Christ is saying here is those that have eyes to see and ears to hear with understanding, and are laboring in this world; why do you carry your heavy burdens alone? Let me lighten those loads, and give you rest from your burdens and cares that weigh heavy on you..

Christ became our Sabbath and in Him we rest every day ,has nothing to do with work.

(4) Exodus 20:8 "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy."

Our Lord Jesus Christ came to fulfill all of the blood statutes and ordinances, but the rest of the law still stands, including each of these ten commandments. In the case of this fourth commandment, Jesus did not destroy this commandment, but He became our Sabbath. He became our Sabbath just as He became our Passover. Jesus is the highest day of Christianity. I Corinthians 5:6, 7 "Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?" [6] "Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us."

Exodus 20:9 "Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:"

Exodus 20:10 "But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:"

Sabbath was made for a rest day for man, and his animals. However it also states in Hebrew 4 that just as Jesus was became our Passover, He also became our Sabbath or rest, and we enter into that rest in Jesus Christ by our faith in Him. So each day becomes our sabbath to where we cease from our own works, and enter into the works of God. In verse eleven: "Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief." There is no other rest than to be in Christ.

To the priest the Sabbath becomes a work day, for all priest work on the Sabbath. However, in that each member of the body of Christ is a priest unto God, it becomes a workday to us also. Historically the first day of the new year was at the spring Vernal Equinox, and that marked the first day of the new year. So we can see the way that the days that are marked today by our modern day calendars are not true markings of God's Sabbath days.

Today's calendar is man's device to regulate time for his own well being. Saturday is not the true Sabbath, but it is accepted by man as being so. Saturday was named by man after Satan's planet, Saturn. The Sabbath day falls on the true Sabbath on God's solar calendar, and in that Christ became our Sabbath, we must be in Christ each and every day of the year. If you have come to respect the day as sacred, rather than focusing on Christ continually, it would be good to do a study on Colossians chapter two and read what Paul had to say about the Sabbath.
If you study Hebrews 4 very closely, you'll see that this "rest" to which you refer - rest in God - is translated over and over from the word "kataposis". Start in verse 1 and go down to verse 8. Over and over, this "rest" in Jesus to which you refer is from "kataposis"....

...UNTIL YOU GET TO VERSE 9. Here, the word "rest" is NOT "kataposis" - it is "SABBATISMOS". The Reformers - who were spawned from a Christianity that had been hijacked by the Papacy all the way back in 538 A.D. and had "Sunday sacredness" beat into their psyche for almost 1,000 years - did a great job translating the Textus Receptus, but when they got to Hebrews 4:9, they couldn't bring themselves to properly translate it as "Sabbath".

However, George Lamsa properly translated it in his English version of the Peshitta, the "Bible of ancient Eastern MSS" and is the closest to the Textus Receptus NT there is. He properly renders it:

"It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath." - Lamsa's Peshitta

Because the Christian who is resting inwardly in Jesus will demonstrate that rest every Sabbath by resting outwardly from his labor "as God did from His" labor of six days creation. They're not the Ten Suggestions, they're the Ten COMMANDMENTS. ;)

Reactions: Cassandra

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "rest" represented by the commandment is to cease from works to establish righteousness.
That's a popular but false interpretation I used to believe as well, taught to us by those who refuse to accept the Sabbath truth, and the proof is right there in Hebrews 4:10 KJV:

"...for he that hath entered into His rest, he hath ceased from his own works as God did from His."

Question: What kind of work did God cease from? Works of "establishing righteousness" ? Or, "works of sin" as some others will argue?

No - He rested from the works of His hands, yes,
the works of His hands- which He performed during the first six days of Creation week. Therefore, the kind of work we are to cease from is the same kind of work God rested from - the labor of our hands. We're to lay aside the daily toil of the first six days we're commanded to work, and spend quality time with God on Sabbath, as we're commanded, as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassandra

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the typical approach of the Christian cults who deny true, orthodox Christianity. Your date of 1914 may place you among the JWs, at least in sentiment.

The typical approach is to tear down the entire history of Christianity, beginning with State Christianity, which did have its beginning in the Roman Empire. Christianity tends to assume the form of the political government under which it operates. That is, this normally takes place when the government itself converts to Christianity. And I believe that's a good thing.

In the course of Christian movements there is always a tendency to be corrupted and diluted with pagan influences, resulting in a distorted view of State Christianity. But this should in no way cause us to discount all historical examples of Christianity, no more than we should discount all Catholics and all Popes due to the number of times they saw corruption.

The Roman Kingdom "restrained" the rise of Antichrist not because it was pure, but because Daniel predicted it would hold its place until broken up into 10 states. That is what "restrains" the rise of Antichrist, the fact his time is not yet and must follow further devolution of the Roman Empire.

What was written is not your "typical approach of the Christian cults who deny true, orthodoxy Christianity", but that Jesus established with the illustration of the "wheat" (true Christians) and the "weeds" (counterfeit Christians) at Matthew 13:24-30, that true Christianity would be infected with fake Christians especially after the death of the apostles, and that Paul later concurred at Acts 20:29, 30 (wolf-like men from within the Christian congregation speaking twisted things that draws away some) and 2 Corinthians 11:26 ("false brothers"), as well as the apostle John at 1 John 2:18, 19 (antichrists originating from within the Christian congregation), as well as Jude at verses 3, 4, (that "certain men have slipped in among you.....who turned the undeserved kindness of our God into an excuse for brazen conduct and who prove false to our only owner and Lord, Jesus Christ") as well as the apostle Peter at 2 Peter 2:9-22 (whereby they have "abandoned the straight path [or "the truth" about Jehovah God]......led astray.......While they are promising freedom, they themselves are slaves of corruption").

There are no "Christian movements" that remain Christian, but only "the truth" that originates with Jehovah God, for at Psalms 31, David wrote: "Into your hand I entrust my spirit. You have redeemed me, O Jehovah, the God of truth."(Ps 31:5)

At Ephesians 4:5, the apostle Paul clearly noted that "one body there is, and one spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith (and not the multitude of some 41,000 different denominations and sects of Christendom), one baptism; one God and Father of all (not "three persons in a Godhead"), who is over all and through all and in all."(Eph 4:4, 5)

The "truth" originates and centers around Jehovah God, for when Jesus gave the "Lord's Prayer" at Matthew 6, first and foremost was this: "You must pray, then, this way: “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your (not Jesus) name be sanctified."(Matt 6:9)

It is these "Christian movements" that came from true Christianity and became the "antichrists", pushing their own Scriptural views, accepting the "Holy Trinity", immortality of the soul, hellfire, purgatory, the cross, clergy-laity class, Christmas, Easter, the "pontif ", clerical garb, veneration of "saints", religious titles, etc, that developed into modern day Christendom.

The apostles fought to stem the tide of the foretold apostasy by Jesus, but once the apostle John died in about 100 C.E., the "Christian movements" began to really take root, so that in about 110 C.E., Ignatius (who is considered one of the Apostolic Fathers) advocated that each congregation be supervised by one bishop, or overseer, who was to be recognized as distinct from, and having greater authority than, the presbyters, or older men, though the Greek terms of episkopos (meaning "overseer") and presbyteros (meaning "elder") were the one and the same, as Peter showed at 1 Peter 5:1-4.

The groundwork was thus laid for a clergy class gradually to emerge. About a century later (or 3rd century C.E.), Cyprian (about 200-258 C.E.), “bishop” of Carthage, North Africa, was a strong advocate of authority of the bishops—as a group separate from the presbyters (later known as priests), the deacons (from the Greek word diakonos that means "attendant"), and the laity (or common people).

Thus, within 150 years or so of the death of the last of the apostles, two significant organizational changes found their way into the congregation of professed Christians: first, the separation between the bishop and the presbyters, with the bishop occupying the top rung of the hierarchical ladder; second, the separation between the clergy and the laity. Instead of all spirit-begotten believers forming “a royal priesthood,” the clergy were now "recognised as the only priesthood".(1 Pet. 2:9)

Such changes marked a defection from the Scriptural method of governing the congregations in apostolic days. Organizational changes, though, were not the only consequences of the apostasy, for Christian doctrine or "the truth" was also altered.

But at Matthew 13:30, Jesus said that he would send the angels to gather up "the weeds" in "bundles to burn them up" at "the war of the great day of God the Almighty" called Armageddon.(Rev 16:14, 16; Note: at Revelation 17:16, 17, it says that the religions of the world called Babylon the Great at Rev 17:5, which includes Christendom as a major contributor, will be "stripped naked........completely burned with fire" by the "ten horns" or member nations of the United Nations as one body in phase one, meaning that they will stripped of everything they possess, down to their last "cent", so that they will cease to function as they previously did, but apparently no one will be put to death, while in phase two, Armageddon, all who reject Jehovah God and his Kingdom will be forever annihilated, see Jer 25:30-33; Rev 19:11-21)

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only satan can and will be the anti- Christ ,sure we have a lot of people with the spirit of anti-Christ in them,however they are not.
satan along with his angels will come to this earth from a different dimension ,they are super natural beings and we will see them up close and personal .

Those who's spiritual eyes are closed will never understand that bro.

Reactions: n2thelight

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you study Hebrews 4 very closely, you'll see that this "rest" to which you refer - rest in God - is translated over and over from the word "kataposis". Start in verse 1 and go down to verse 8. Over and over, this "rest" in Jesus to which you refer is from "kataposis"....

...UNTIL YOU GET TO VERSE 9. Here, the word "rest" is NOT "kataposis" - it is "SABBATISMOS". The Reformers - who were spawned from a Christianity that had been hijacked by the Papacy all the way back in 538 A.D. and had "Sunday sacredness" beat into their psyche for almost 1,000 years - did a great job translating the Textus Receptus, but when they got to Hebrews 4:9, they couldn't bring themselves to properly translate it as "Sabbath".

However, George Lamsa properly translated it in his English version of the Peshitta, the "Bible of ancient Eastern MSS" and is the closest to the Textus Receptus NT there is. He properly renders it:

"It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath." - Lamsa's Peshitta

Because the Christian who is resting inwardly in Jesus will demonstrate that rest every Sabbath by resting outwardly from his labor "as God did from His" labor of six days creation. They're not the Ten Suggestions, they're the Ten COMMANDMENTS. ;)
So I guess Jesus and His Apostles were terrible examples for Christianity. They all worked on the Sabbath, but why should we bother to understand scripture when we can just invent our own self righteous understanding. Good luck with that.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a popular but false interpretation I used to believe as well, taught to us by those who refuse to accept the Sabbath truth, and the proof is right there in Hebrews 4:10 KJV:

"...for he that hath entered into His rest, he hath ceased from his own works as God did from His."

Question: What kind of work did God cease from? Works of "establishing righteousness" ? Or, "works of sin" as some others will argue?

No - He rested from the works of His hands, yes,
the works of His hands- which He performed during the first six days of Creation week. Therefore, the kind of work we are to cease from is the same kind of work God rested from - the labor of our hands. We're to lay aside the daily toil of the first six days we're commanded to work, and spend quality time with God on Sabbath, as we're commanded, as well.
The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.