Who was the Good samaritan?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Who was that Good Samaritan?

I think we have all heard the preaching of the Good Samaritan as a parable meant to stir us into the same kind of action. This is in no means wrong as all of us should be good Samaritans to our neighbours at any given time.

However, in order be a good Samaritan, we must have experienced the same in our lives. Is this not what Jesus did for us?

Consider the following. The itinerary of the initial individual of the story was from Jerusalem (a place of Peace = Salem) to Jericho (a place death as Jericho is close to the dead sea). This “certain man” could be anybody including you or me. And were we not on a pathway of death until Jesus met us.

On that road to Jericho we witness his assault. Thieves who strip him of his clothes (steal), wound him severely (destroy) leaving half dead (kill). Here we see the work of the devil in our lives. He is a thief (John 10:10), who comes to steal, kill and destroy.

We find ourselves alone, lost, hurt, crushed and ignored. We are beaten down looking for help, looking for hope and there is none. Even when we thought the priest, who represents the leaders of all religions, ideologies or philosophies of the world might be able to help, he can not. He does not have the answer to our plight. Neither does the Levite, who represents a leader much closer to home and who might be more knowledgeable and intimate with our situation, feigns to venture a compassionate attempt to rescue.

There is only Jesus, the Good Samaritan, who can mend our wounds because He was wounded Himself. (Isaiah 53:5) Only He can bring us back from death as He conquered death Himself. (Romans 5:10) As he mends our wounds, He pours the wine of the New Covenant (1Cor. 11:25) (Eph. 1:7) and the oil of His Spirit (1Sam. 16:13) (Luke 24:39). He then places us on a beast of burden so that our own burdens are relieved (Mat. 11:30).

Finally, He brings us to the inn, which can be defined as “a public place (house) for the reception of strangers”. And I surmise that this could be also called the CHURCH. He pays 2 Dinarii, which is roughly 2 days wages and tells the innkeeper that He will come again. Notice He did not say, I’ll be back or I’ll come back soon but more so “I’ll come again”. Do we see here a reference to the Second Coming (John 14:28)? Surely it has been 2 Dinarii = 2 days = 2000 years, as for god 1 day is as a thousand years. (2Peter 3:8)

Jesus set the perfect example. Now let us become Samaritans and champion the same cause.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and FHII

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think we have all heard the preaching of the Good Samaritan as a parable meant to stir us into the same kind of action. This is in no means wrong as all of us should be good Samaritans to our neighbours at any given time.

However, in order be a good Samaritan, we must have experienced the same in our lives. Is this not what Jesus did for us?

Consider the following. The itinerary of the initial individual of the story was from Jerusalem (a place of Peace = Salem) to Jericho (a place death as Jericho is close to the dead sea). This “certain man” could be anybody including you or me. And were we not on a pathway of death until Jesus met us.

On that road to Jericho we witness his assault. Thieves who strip him of his clothes (steal), wound him severely (destroy) leaving half dead (kill). Here we see the work of the devil in our lives. He is a thief (John 10:10), who comes to steal, kill and destroy.

We find ourselves alone, lost, hurt, crushed and ignored. We are beaten down looking for help, looking for hope and there is none. Even when we thought the priest, who represents the leaders of all religions, ideologies or philosophies of the world might be able to help, he can not. He does not have the answer to our plight. Neither does the Levite, who represents a leader much closer to home and who might be more knowledgeable and intimate with our situation, feigns to venture a compassionate attempt to rescue.

There is only Jesus, the Good Samaritan, who can mend our wounds because He was wounded Himself. (Isaiah 53:5) Only He can bring us back from death as He conquered death Himself. (Romans 5:10) As he mends our wounds, He pours the wine of the New Covenant (1Cor. 11:25) (Eph. 1:7) and the oil of His Spirit (1Sam. 16:13) (Luke 24:39). He then places us on a beast of burden so that our own burdens are relieved (Mat. 11:30).

Finally, He brings us to the inn, which can be defined as “a public place (house) for the reception of strangers”. And I surmise that this could be also called the CHURCH. He pays 2 Dinarii, which is roughly 2 days wages and tells the innkeeper that He will come again. Notice He did not say, I’ll be back or I’ll come back soon but more so “I’ll come again”. Do we see here a reference to the Second Coming (John 14:28)? Surely it has been 2 Dinarii = 2 days = 2000 years, as for god 1 day is as a thousand years. (2Peter 3:8)

Jesus set the perfect example. Now let us become Samaritans and champion the same cause.

I agree: Jesus was the good Samaritan. There are a couple of things you didn't discuss which I believe are important and perhaps a bit controversial.

First, you mentioned that he said that he would come again, but he said more than that. He gave the money and noted that if his care exceeded the two pence (according to the KJV) when he returned he would cover those expenses as well. The injured man would not have to pay anything and there were no limitations on the health care.

I relate this to grace. The Samaritan paid the bill, but also on his credit covered unforseen and future expenses. This what God's grace does. It does not simply cover past and present sins, but future sins as well.

Second, let's take note on why Jesus gave the parable. Its starts with a cocky lawyer asking who is my neighbor? It ends with Jesus asking who was the neighbor in the parable. The lawyer said he that showed mercy and Jesus told him to do likewise.

So the point is that not everyone is your neighbor. Those that show mercy are your neighbor. We ARE to show mercy (as Jesus told the lawyer to do so), but again... Not everyone is your neighbor. So when Jesus said "love thy neighbor (ultimately he was speaking of himself, but...) he wasn't talking about everyone.

I suppose you could say we are to be a neighbor to everyone... That is, show mercy to everyone. But I am not sure about that. Jesus didn't show much mercy to the Pharisees except that he told them the truth. Despite conventional wisdom, some actually listened.

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Samaritan paid the bill, but also on his credit covered unforseen and future expenses. This what God's grace does. It does not simply cover past and present sins, but future sins as well.
[\QUOTE]
I agree as long as we do not go so far turning that into Hyper-Grace, where all is forgiven in advance so that you go ahead and do whatever you want without consequence.

I suppose you could say we are to be a neighbor to everyone... That is, show mercy to everyone. But I am not sure about that. Jesus didn't show much mercy to the Pharisees except that he told them the truth. Despite conventional wisdom, some actually listened.

Some would say that telling the Pharisees the truth and calling them out is an ultimate for of mercy (tough love) in order to wake them up from there self-righteousness

Last edited:

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All sins are forgiven, but all sins have a consequence. I don't understand the thinking behind "hypergrace". Grace allows us to focus on the inward man instead of trying to do the impossible task of making the flesh worthy.

I am also one to believe Jesus's tough love was mercy up to a point. It had its limits.

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am also one to believe Jesus's tough love was mercy up to a point. It had its limits.

I agree mercy has it's limits because at some point justice must prevail, hence Sodom and Gomorrah.
The last stretch of mercy for these people was when Abraham persisted to ask mercy for 50 righteous down to 10.
It's just speculation whether Jesus reached His limit with the Pharisees. After all, He was bringing everyone a new gospel that could turn anyone around.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
i think the reality there is that at some point you will be hoist by your own petard; Christ will not need to zap you or whatever iow. You don't need to be condemned, so much as that you will just drop off the radar and be forgotten. See, the Good Samaritan is still discussed today, yet the parable flatly ignores the fate of the Priest and the Pharisee, who become irrelevant to the story.
Not everyone is your neighbor. So when Jesus said "love thy neighbor (ultimately he was speaking of himself, but...) he wasn't talking about everyone.
here, it seems to me, you have made a passage about you conditional upon the actions of another, and i don't think that this is going to hold up Scripturally, in the face of "let him have your coat also" and "turn the other cheek to them" etc.

Christ was not talking about everyone, iow, and you are imo exempting yourself from being the neighbor.
So the point is that not everyone is your neighbor. Those that show mercy are your neighbor. We ARE to show mercy (as Jesus told the lawyer to do so), but again... Not everyone is your neighbor. So when Jesus said "love thy neighbor (ultimately he was speaking of himself, but...) he wasn't talking about everyone.
what you have done here is explain the position of the Pharisee and the Priest walking by on the other side of the road, with all due respect.

Last edited:

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i think the reality there is that at some point you will be hoist by your own petard; Christ will not need to zap you or whatever iow. You don't need to be condemned, so much as that you will just drop off the radar and be forgotten. See, the Good Samaritan is still discussed today, yet the parable flatly ignores the fate of the Priest and the Pharisee, who become irrelevant to the story.
here, it seems to me, you have made a passage about you conditional upon the actions of another, and i don't think that this is going to hold up Scripturally, in the face of "let him have your coat also" and "turn the other cheek to them" etc.

Christ was not talking about everyone, iow, and you are imo exempting yourself from being the neighbor.
what you have done here is explain the position of the Pharisee and the Priest walking by on the other side of the road, with all due respect.

Did not the lawyer correctly identify the neighbor as one who showed mercy? Did not Jesus agree and tell the lawyer to do likewise? Did not I say we ARE to show mercy?

I stand by what I said

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Did not the lawyer correctly identify the neighbor as one who showed mercy? Did not Jesus agree and tell the lawyer to do likewise? Did not I say we ARE to show mercy?

I stand by what I said
seems to me you reflected that we are to show mercy conditionally, depending upon whether or not our neighbor has met our values, and imo this does not reflect the Message. I might agree that neighbors are not necessarily friends, but i cannot agree that you have a Scriptural basis for justifying conditional treatment of those in need. If someone steals your shirt, they are by definition not deserving of your coat also.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
seems to me you reflected that we are to show mercy conditionally, depending upon whether or not our neighbor has met our values,

At no point did I place conditions on mercy nor did I relate that was depending on whether they meet our values.

I related that Jesus's mercy had its limits when he was dealing with the Pharisees.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I’m not going to dispute that the Lord our God doesn’t revive us from cruelties in the world, (bin there, done that), but I don’t see where “the good Samaritan” parable applies.

Jesus was speaking to a people (Israelites) who see themselves as sons of Abraham making them as a righteous entitled people. A lot like church going Christians of today. And the Lord Jesus is demonstrating to them that one who they would see as a lesser being a Samaritan was more like a righteous man then they.

For example, I’ve seen some who do work charities and give you their christianess image every chance they get whereas in the US the poor are given food shelter and heath care without judgement except for financial qualification, and that is secular and it doesn’t make anyone chirtianer. This not to say, feeding the poor is hypocrisy, but to use it to enhance the judgement of other’s views of one’s self is.

Hence you don’t have to be “Christian” to care about those around you, nor does it make you “Christian”. And the Lord can do with those who care for others without judgement, rather than selective Mercy.

Reactions: bbyrd009

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I’m not going to dispute that the Lord our God doesn’t revive us from cruelties in the world, (bin there, done that), but I don’t see where “the good Samaritan” parable applies.

Did you read the Oped? Did I not describe enough similarities in the story to support what I proposed? Or is it that you are argumentative?
It seems to me that there is more than meets the eye in this parable or even the story I posted on "Why water into wine".
Why water into wine?

Believe it or not there is often more than one obvious explanation to the parables and stories that the Spirit chose to include in His word. That is what makes it possible for the Spirit to reach all individuals, with His word, no matter where the find themselves in life, whether a new Christian or a seasoned one. Some need the milk of scripture while others can digest prime rib. Prime rib does involve a little more exegesis, research and understanding, Nevertheless the Spirit doesn't disappoint when we are open to something new that He would want to share, as long as everything remains verifiable through other supporting scripture.

Jesus was speaking to a people (Israelites) who see themselves as sons of Abraham making them as a righteous entitled people. A lot like church going Christians of today. And the Lord Jesus is demonstrating to them that one who they would see as a lesser being a Samaritan was more like a righteous man then they.

Yes, this is the obvious understanding for the people at that time. But what I have demonstrated is that there is more to it for us today.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
At no point did I place conditions on mercy nor did I relate that was depending on whether they meet our values.

I related that Jesus's mercy had its limits when he was dealing with the Pharisees.
so then, any way you slice it, you make mercy conditional upon your judgement, just like the Levite and the Priest in the GS parable; when Christ died for those who were yet sinners, see. The Pharisees were righteous in their own eyes, and not even asking for mercy, at least it seems to me.

Or perhaps i am misunderstanding this "everyone is not your neighbor" position? Not sure how you might justify this, absent some judgement on your part? Everyone is in fact your neighbor (and it should also be noted that you, we are not Christ, i guess).

So maybe for argument's sake you might justify how you have arrived at "everyone is not your neighbor."

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

you sound conflicted here, and imo the only way you could view others as "not your neighbor" Scripturally is by sleight-of-hand, and ultimately, by making a judgement that will keep the guy going to Jericho in the ditch, that the GS obviously did not make. The guy in the ditch was not his neighbor then, either.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so then, any way you slice it, you make mercy conditional upon your judgement, just like the Levite and the Priest in the GS parable; when Christ died for those who were yet sinners, see. The Pharisees were righteous in their own eyes, and not even asking for mercy, at least it seems to me.

Or perhaps i am misunderstanding this "everyone is not your neighbor" position? Not sure how you might justify this, absent some judgement on your part? Everyone is in fact your neighbor (and it should also be noted that you, we are not Christ, i guess).

Read the parable. Read my comments on the parable. He that showed mercy was the neighbor. Not the others.

Never once did I make mercy conditional upon my judgment. That is the third time you have misquoted me. That's it. You are done. I will no longer respond to you on this topic.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Read the parable. Read my comments on the parable. He that showed mercy was the neighbor. Not the others.

Never once did I make mercy conditional upon my judgment. That is the third time you have misquoted me. That's it. You are done. I will no longer respond to you on this topic.
Um, misquoted you how? I am just trying to grasp your pov here. Do you maintain that everyone is not your neighbor, or not?

b. any other person, and where two are concerned the other (thy fellow-man, thy neighbor) i. e., according to the O. T. and Jewish conception, a member of the Hebrew race and commonwealth: Acts 7:27; and Rec. in Hebrews 8:11; according to the teaching of Christ, any other man irrespective of race or religion with whom we live or whom we chance to meet (which idea is clearly brought out in the parable Luke 10:25
Strong's Greek: 4139. πλησίον (plésion) -- near, neighboring

So again, with all due respect, you apparently believe that everyone is not your neighbor, and i am just asking how you might justify this.

Last edited:

Frank N

May 29, 2017
Silicon Valley, CA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Jesus was not the good Samaritan. He was using the GS as an example in a parable to make a point. From Diaries of Jesus, "The Samaritans were Gentiles who had been moved into territory vacated by the northern tribes of Israel seven centuries earlier. 2 Kings 17:24 is the scripture. The Samaritans adopted Israel’s God and they accepted the Pentateuch but no other books of the Old Testament. The worshiped on Mount Gerizim and not in the temple in Jerusalem, for the Jewish religious leaders would not allow them to worship at the temple."

Other sources show the Samaritans were Jews not taken captive by Babylon. They were Jews, but the Pharisees of Shammai considered them impure half-breeds and refused to associate with them. They would not consider Samaritans neighbors. The Pharisees of Hillel were much more inclusive, so would reach out to Samaritans, hoping to persuade them to observe Torah according to the understanding of those Jews who had returned from Diaspora. As he typically did, Jesus sided with Hillel. For him, 'love your neighbor' would include Samaritans and sinners (non-practicing Jews). For none of them would neighbor include Gentiles.

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, Jesus was not the good Samaritan. He was using the GS as an example in a parable to make a point. From Diaries of Jesus, "The Samaritans were Gentiles who had been moved into territory vacated by the northern tribes of Israel seven centuries earlier. 2 Kings 17:24 is the scripture. The Samaritans adopted Israel’s God and they accepted the Pentateuch but no other books of the Old Testament. The worshiped on Mount Gerizim and not in the temple in Jerusalem, for the Jewish religious leaders would not allow them to worship at the temple."

Jesus is more than a Good Samaritan to all those who have called on His name. We were all, at some point, in the place of that man in the ditch. Some were there literally when Jesus reach out out them. The Devil, who seeks to steal, kill, and destroy, has been trying to reek havoc in all our lives. We were all in need of a Good Samaritan. It is His example that allows Him to calls us to do the same for others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sword

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Um, misquoted you how? I am just trying to grasp your pov here. Do you maintain that everyone is not your neighbor, or not?

b. any other person, and where two are concerned the other (thy fellow-man, thy neighbor) i. e., according to the O. T. and Jewish conception, a member of the Hebrew race and commonwealth: Acts 7:27; and Rec. in Hebrews 8:11; according to the teaching of Christ, any other man irrespective of race or religion with whom we live or whom we chance to meet (which idea is clearly brought out in the parable Luke 10:25
Strong's Greek: 4139. πλησίον (plésion) -- near, neighboring

So again, with all due respect, you apparently believe that everyone is not your neighbor, and i am just asking how you might justify this.
see it ends up being really easy to identify antichrist.