Why are Bible scholars leaving Christianity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Timothy 4:1 KJV
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1 Timothy 4:1 - Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, (sounds like Roman Catholicism) and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.

The words "the faith" (Greek tês pisteôs) in this context means the apostolic faith, the New Testament apostolic body of doctrines. Some who are in a state of professing adherence to the apostolic faith, nevertheless, will in both doctrine and practice depart from it, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons. Some "nominal" Christians will abandon the Christian faith, the New Testament apostolic body of doctrines for cults or false religions. That does not prove they were previously born again.

In 1 John 2:19, we read - They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.

I believe the beginning of such a major departing from the apostolic faith was evidenced by the Roman Catholic church in the early 4th century. The Roman Catholic church forbids its clergy to marry. This same church has other doctrines of demons such as transubstantiation, purgatory, indulgences, papal infallibility, Mary's perpetual virginity etc..

Reactions: marks

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many PHd Preachers in the (liberal side)Methodist Church, for instance, went to seminary because of being raised in a church, and know that when they get their position. its a lifetime job with pay and retirement. They could serve in small church's because the Church paid their salary and didn't rely on the congregation. Many retired and went into another field of work that was unrelated. It was just a job to them. And yes, I know some of them.

Reactions: St. SteVen

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many PHd Preachers in the (liberal side)Methodist Church, for instance, went to seminary because of being raised in a church, and know that when they get their position. its a lifetime job with pay and retirement. They could serve in small church's because the Church paid their salary and didn't rely on the congregation. Many retired and went into another field of work that was unrelated. It was just a job to them. And yes, I know some of them.

Man! That is really hard to accept. Is there something about chasing money that is really detrimental to the soul?

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man! That is really hard to accept. Is there something about chasing money that is really detrimental to the soul?
These are just lost people. They believe they do God's work, but its a works mentality. They copy their Dad who was a preacher, or uncle, that grew up in the Methodist Church. The Catholic church is the same way.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewG

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The testimonies in the videos in the OP are of folks who were committed Christians.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they had any sort of relationship, good or bad, they are lying if they are now claiming not to believe.
I find this view interesting.
If someone in the tribe gives a testimony of faith we believe them and are brought to tears. (sometimes)
But if these SAME people leave the faith, we say they were lying. How come? (one misunderstood Bible verse?)

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, sort of. The wife and I will find a glass top on some piece of furniture. Then look for a brass or chrome base from something else. Then we have a unique table piece.
Very cool.
Looks like they were made for each other.
Like you and your wife. Great team.

Reactions: Rockerduck

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Bible scholars are leaving Christianity in droves. Why?
Not because they don't understand the Bible, obviously. (they're Bible scholars)

- Do you have to be Christian to believe in God?
- Do you have to agree with the institutional church's positions to believe in God?

Previous topic on this subject.
Any logical person will see through the religious charade that passes for the modern gospel. Unfortunately these people leaving the faith identify what is being propped up as Christianity to be genuine.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is an interesting viewpoint from a person who has confirmed "they have left the faith", not sure if that means they left their faith in the resurrection of Christ or not, or just the church itself. They had a background in something (i can't remember) however, it is interesting to listen to the thoughts of not only this guy, but also the other cliped videos that are shared through out.

You know for the most part those who - don't believe or have faith - it's illogical to believe that God created all of the world, let alone sent his Word down to be born in flesh and die on the cross, and raise him up on the third day.

Faith is simply illogical to those who are logical, but that is why it is a choice, and God is constantly calling, and he does make life a bit better, though it comes at a cost of suffering with Christ, and denying the self - (Flesh - the heart and it's flaws as Jesus points out in Mark 7.) To deny one self and place God first?

Pffft, it's just illogical that is why the Jewish people from the bible are interesting. There was those of faith, and those who did not listen either and they were killed off in the wilderness. But God doing that is illogical, to force a sentence like such. But it was his covenant with them, and he promised them land, since Abrahams day.

Why Are So Many People Leaving the Church? (according to the church) - 2 years ago.​

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Timothy 4:1 KJV
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
Exactly what I was getting ready to post! We see LOTS of 'doctrines of demons' here, like Jesus isn't God and Hell isn't eternal! VERY Satanic!

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and L.A.M.B.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Found another interesting video @St. SteVen

The Ancient Biblical Manuscript That Polarized Scholars | Tares Among The Wheat | Parable​

In the 19th century a revolution in biblical scholarship was prompted by the publication of a manuscript - Codex Sinaiticus - declared to be the oldest Bible ever found. Shortly after this discovery, deniers came forward against it. The controversy surrounding this manuscript is perhaps the most incredible untold chapter in Bible history. Witness the struggle between Bible believers and deniers.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What do Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists say about the god we believe in?
Do you have to be Christian to believe in God?
You did not specify that it was the true God you were asking g questions about belief.

As for how does one resolve who is the true God?
That is simple all the false reliions make there followers earn their salvation.
Only Christianity says it cannot be earnt or deserved, but is an undeserved free gift.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Timothy 4:1 - Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, (sounds like Roman Catholicism) and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.

The words "the faith" (Greek tês pisteôs) in this context means the apostolic faith, the New Testament apostolic body of doctrines. Some who are in a state of professing adherence to the apostolic faith, nevertheless, will in both doctrine and practice depart from it, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons. Some "nominal" Christians will abandon the Christian faith, the New Testament apostolic body of doctrines for cults or false religions. That does not prove they were previously born again.

In 1 John 2:19, we read - They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.

I believe the beginning of such a major departing from the apostolic faith was evidenced by the Roman Catholic church in the early 4th century. The Roman Catholic church forbids its clergy to marry. This same church has other doctrines of demons such as transubstantiation, purgatory, indulgences, papal infallibility, Mary's perpetual virginity etc..
And no meat on Fridays!

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do any who have eternal life know they have eternal life?

Much love!
I will not say yes in answer to your question, because I do not know what God has revealed to everyone else. Some, certainly say that they already do have eternal Life, but God has not shown me all of their hearts.

I simply continue seeking first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. If I do that unto the end of my course as a man following Him, will it not be mine?