WHY ARE MANY OF US STILL HERE?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We establish it

Again, what does that mean, "we establish it", and where can I read that the Law given through Moses to Israel, which was fulfilled on Israel's behalf by Jesus, is "established" by us?

Where are the Scriptures which say these things?

Much love!
Mark

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I love this question about the tithe.

It's impossible to answer. Nowhere does Scripture "re-assign" tithing. It's integral to the OT Law, it cannot be done now in the way that the Law requires. Nowhere does the Bible redefine tithing.

Jesus even said of those you counted out their fennel seeds that they should in fact be doing that.

It's not abrogated. It's not modified. Well, except by those who say we need to keep the Law. Then it must be rewritten because, again, it's impossible to do in the way God specified.

So what's up with that?

To any who claim the Law is modified, I'll ask for the Scripture reference. I've heard so many arguments supporting that view, but I've never seen that actually in the Bible. Maybe you can be the first!

Much love!
Mark

Some Christians are so wealthy that they should be giving more than a tithe to the work of the Church. Some are so poor that they should be receiving help from the Church. The New Testament says we should give as we are able and to receive help from the Church with gratitude.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some Christians are so wealthy that they should be giving more than a tithe to the work of the Church. Some are so poor that they should be receiving help from the Church. The New Testament says we should give as we are able and to receive help from the Church with gratitude.

Hi LC,

That's just the point. We are not bound by the law.

And in fact, God even says:

2 Corinthians 9:7 "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver."

Not of necessity. Giving according to the law is of necessity.

And so here is a place where the tithe is abrogated, and replaced. No longer that you give what you have to, now you give what you want to. Isn't that nicer?

To give because we love those to whom we give?

Much love!
Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I groan sometimes too, wanting to have my resurrection body!

But I don't see that as expressing, "I'm so done with this world I'd kill myself if only it wasn't against the 10 commandments!"

Is it good to want what God wants?

Much love!
mark
Yes, especially when He wants us to keep His seventh day Sabbath and we keep it.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, what does that mean, "we establish it", and where can I read that the Law given through Moses to Israel, which was fulfilled on Israel's behalf by Jesus, is "established" by us?

Much love!
Mark
Romans 3:30-31 KJV
[30] Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. [31] Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Tecarta Bible

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Mark
Romans 7:6 KJV
[6] But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Tecarta Bible

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, especially when He wants us to keep His seventh day Sabbath and we keep it.

I'm curious, Phoneman, which day is the Sabbath day? I mean, not on the gentile calendar, but on the true God given calendar?

Much love!
Mark

Colossians 2:16-17 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the unleavened body of Christ on the alter. The bread from heaven when we eat of this( eat no unclean thing) he fulfills all the dietary laws

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm curious, Phoneman, which day is the Sabbath day? I mean, not on the gentile calendar, but on the true God given calendar?

Much love!
Mark

Colossians 2:16-17 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
Every day is Sabbath. Enter in to my rest.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 3:30-31 KJV
[30] Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. [31] Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Tecarta Bible

Is this saying the Law is now established to govern our lives as God's children?

Since the uncircumcised and the circumcised are both justified by faith, does that mean that the Law doesn't matter? No. We establish the law in the doctrine of justification by faith in that there was something we had to be justified concerning.

The law condemned all under sin and death, therefore, all need to be justified, even those not all were required to be circumcised.

If you read the whole chapter, this is talking about our justification, not that the Law is imposed over us to govern us.

Much love!
Mark

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the unleavened body of Christ on the alter. The bread from heaven when we eat of this( eat no unclean thing) he fulfills all the dietary laws

So again, we agree. Jesus fulfilled the law on our behalf.

Much love!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this saying the Law is now established to govern our lives as God's children?

Since the uncircumcised and the circumcised are both justified by faith, does that mean that the Law doesn't matter? No. We establish the law in the doctrine of justification by faith in that there was something we had to be justified concerning.

The law condemned all under sin and death, therefore, all need to be justified, even those not all were required to be circumcised.

If you read the whole chapter, this is talking about our justification, not that the Law is imposed over us to govern us.

Much love!
Mark
Christ is the one who justifies. Only Christ

Reactions: marks

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you can show me in the OT where the 10 commandments are described as "the law of liberty" you will have a case.
Regarding James 2:
  • James tells us who a lawbreaker aka sinner is - violators of the Ten Commandments, as exemplified by his explicit reference to adultery and killing.
  • James warns Christians to watch how they speak and act because they'll be judged by the Law of Liberty.
If you're Antinomianism has so blinded you that you are unwilling to accept what should be so crystal clear - that the same breath James is using to say "adultery" and "kill" is comprised of the same swirling air molecules that he is using to say "Law of Liberty"- then go on and break the Ten Commandments if you truly believe that the Law of Liberty is something else.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is really sounding like we're on the same page.

We aren't required to tithe, but we want to give.

We aren't required to eat Kosher, but Jesus makes us clean.

We don't keep a 7th day Sabbath, we rest every day in Jesus.

Much love!
Mark

Jesus came so that we would not only have life but have it more abundantly. (John 10:10) There is NO substitute for the joy felt by those who love Him. Possessions, money, fame, beauty, the high regard of others--all fade away in spiritual death. "Let the dead bury the dead" and come to joy in Him--no human since the Fall has ever been so alive as he/she who has been "born from above".

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your reaction to the lukewarm, disregard by many is understandable...but be careful not to heap on too heavy a burden. His burden is light. It is Christ Jesus alone who is able to fulfill and to carry the full burden of condemnation that God has put upon the fallen world. We can do nothing.

The Ten Commandments simply point us to Christ, while giving us words to live by. But they do not save, nor can we keep them. Christ has kept them, in whom we also keep them, for we are "in him", "One." Therefore, do not tell Christ in us to keep a standard He himself has made and also kept already. It is finished.

As for dying and going straight to heaven..."the kingdom of heaven is within you." Therefore, if we have died outwardly, meaning to the world, we have entered already. If we have not died outwardly or do not until the flesh returns to the dust, in the end we shall see Him, for "we shall be like Him" (in His kingdom, in heaven).
Once again, you Antinomianists shift the discussion from "Christian obligation" to "Christian origination" so that you can argue against what we are not claiming at all.

A Christian's origin is made possibly by salvation by grace through faith...period. Now, may we please continue discussing Christian obligation?

A Christian's obligation is to obey the Ten Commandments (1 John 2:3-4; James 2:10-12; Romans 7:7; Hebrews 8:8-10) because it is that law by which we are judged.

Either Christians are allowed to have other gods before God, or they are obligated to have no other gods before God. There is no third option.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte