• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which of these choices best represent your reason for being a Christian?

• It's just the right thing to do.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • My parents were Christians.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My friends or acquaintances influenced me the most.

• I just want to be saved.

• I love the opportunities for socializing.

• I get caught up in discussion and/or debates.

• My pastor influenced me the most.

• I want to cooperate with God in ending sin and suffering.

• I care deeply about people.

• I fell in love with Jesus.

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ahhh come on man
yeah, it's true. We all have a life's story which is appropriate to tell in certain circumstances so that folk get an understanding of where you've come from, however my testimony, ie what I testify to is my lover; the resurrected one who has gob smacked me about myself.

In past years I would bathe in the riveted attention people gave when I told my story till I realised what I was doing and that was getting off on their 'adulation', ie pride.

It's a sneaky one which hits me in the back of the head unexpectedly; self glorification in the name of testimony to Jesus. It takes many forms, one of them is theological debates where the focus is 'see how right I am' :)

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And why would a sinner hate heaven.
Sinners are inherently selfish. They have no heart for unselfish service to others, praise and worship to God, nor any inclination to righteousness. Those values are few and far between here on earth, and easily avoidable and ignored. Heaven however will welcome nothing else. Heaven to such people would be miserable and agonizing.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I testify to Jesus; he is my hero.
yeah, it's true. We all have a life's story which is appropriate to tell in certain circumstances so that folk get an understanding of where you've come from, however my testimony, ie what I testify to is my lover; the resurrected one who has gob smacked me about myself.

In past years I would bathe in the riveted attention people gave when I told my story till I realised what I was doing and that was getting off on their 'adulation', ie pride.

It's a sneaky one which hits me in the back of the head unexpectedly; self glorification in the name of testimony to Jesus. It takes many forms, one of them is theological debates where the focus is 'see how right I am' :)
Yes, there's the trap so many fall into, including myself in the past, of explaining where we came from with such zeal and fervor, it came across like a longing for the good old days, like blissful reminiscing, with Jesus entering into the picture as a late after thought, like a reluctant interloper who redirects traffic around an accident.
I dread to consider this, but I wonder if at times I would embellish the tale somewhat in order to make it sound more 'epic'. Shameful really. Taking the glory from Jesus and coveting it for myself. :confused:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, there's the trap so many fall into, including myself in the past, of explaining where we came from with such zeal and fervor, it came across like a longing for the good old days, like blissful reminiscing, with Jesus entering into the picture as a late after thought, like a reluctant interloper who redirects traffic around an accident.
I dread to consider this, but I wonder if at times I would embellish the tale somewhat in order to make it sound more 'epic'. Shameful really. Taking the glory from Jesus and coveting it for myself. :confused:
I don't need to wonder—I've done it. Not recently, but I've done it, LORD have mercy. :confused:

Reactions: Brakelite

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You forgot one other reason and, it happens to be my own reason. "TRUTH". That is all I wanted as being much younger and hearing about all these other religions, one would naturally ask "will the real God please stand up"?
Well, after looking into most of the world's religions and their origins, Christianity was the only one that made sense to my young mind at the time.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My testimony

Galatians 5:19-26

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

I once lived continually in the acts of the flesh, could not escape them no matter how much I tried. God saved me in 1980 as I pleaded with Him to forgive me for all my horrible sins and the way I treated others. I was a hater, one who used and abused drugs, a fornicator, abusive speech, behavior, fits of rage getting into fights all the time. I didn't like school/college and hated to read. I wanted nothing whatsoever to do with God and in fact was internationally running from Him. My mother was a believer as was my future mother in law. They would preach at me but I had no interest.

That evening I was born again by Gods Spirit. I knew something happened to me as I desired to seek God through His word. I couldn't put the bible down. I started going to church to learn about Jesus with my future mother in law. I no longer hated people but felt shame for all the harm I had caused to others. My hate was replaced with love for others, I quit drinking and drugs immediately. I was experiencing the fruit of the spirit in my life. For the first time I had real peace, joy and self control as I sought Jesus and learned about the Christian life. I was discipled one on one with the Pastor and joined a small group bible study. That has not changed for me since 1980. I read and study His word daily and have continued to witness to others and have led many people to the Lord through witnessing how God had changed my life through the miracle of the new birth. God had changed my life completely and I had done a 180* turn around in the opposite direction.

God promises Eternal Life as per 1 John 5:11-13. I believed Gods word and His promises. My faith and security is in Him alone and when I do stumble or sin I'm immediately convicted of my sin and repent.

More details about what brought me to my end and humbled me.

We had a big blow out and we were over, I had promised many times I would get my anger under control, drug and alcohol as well. I use to get drunk and look for fights with anyone and everyone. She had broken up with me a few times before but I always talked my way back and made promises I would be different this time. Well finally my anger got the best of me and the worst of her and I won't go into details but I physically abused her and I knew it was over and I had lost who I loved most in my life.

I knew about Jesus and there were always alter calls at those seminars I had gone to over the years but I never went forward because I did not want to be a hypocrite, I was not willing to give up my life and I knew that was a requirement.

So that evening in my bedroom I was a broken young man who not only ruined my life, but her life and her families, my families because they loved her and my mother and her mother had become friends.

I wept like never before , humbled myself before the Lord and pleaded with Him to forgive me of all the horrible things I had done to others over the years. I asked Him to come into my life and change me because I know I was a complete failure and did not have the power or the will to change my life. That night Jesus gave me a new heart, new desires and my hatred for others became love for them. I started reading my bible because I actually had the desire to know Jesus and be His disciple and serve Him the rest of my days. I no longer had the desire for alcohol or drugs. My only desire was to know Him and to obey Him.

From that day until now I have studied His word every day and have not stopped. I prayed for her salvation and I started to go to church with her mother who forgave me for the horrible thing I did to her daughter. I became friends with the pastor and he mentored me and we would take walks and run together a few times a week. I was a quick learner and was a student of Gods word. I became an active member at that church.

About a year later she called me out of the blue for she had been told by several mutual friends and family that I had really changed this time and I was a different person than she knew. So we started hanging out and I was witnessing to her and after a few months she gave her life to Christ and we started dating again. Fast forward we married in 85.

We have 4 adult children who all serve the Lord in ministry as missionaries, children’s director, associate and youth pastor and professional Christian musician.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'll share why I'm a Christian if I'm welcome as I saw a the OP's list of usernames and I wasn't in the list but maybe that was just a random list of possible people who he would like to share their testimony. I'm a Christian because it made sense to me that there's a battle b/t good and evil. There are evil influences and good influences. The evil influence is bad, deceptive and a lie vs the good influence is the truth and love and in no other religion I found that! And what was like a God like Buddism for example, I was told they never claimed that they were a true God so it leads me to believe that the one true God is indeed Jesus Christ and He claimed it. I also feel that some of my prayers have been answered in Jesus' name.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus @JunChosen @robert derrick @CharismaticLady @charity @Nancy @Backlit @Tong2020 @marks @Hidden In Him @Christophany @GEN2REV @ReChoired @Ziggy @An Apologetic Sheepdog

I think it is taken for granted that most Christians have basically the same reason for being so. But I also think it's worth exploring. What if you were tried for your faith by a system that was hostile toward it? What would your testimony be if you were faced with this seemingly simple question? I may add or change answers to the poll as requested within reason. Please don't be offended if I haven't included yours. And don't be afraid to make your responses very personal.
I'm Christian because when I was young I was baptized and confirmed with the Holy Spirit, Jesus the Christ reached out to me in spirit and I began to love him and new that I desired to be with him before loving him and the Father later on.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll share why I'm a Christian if I'm welcome as I saw a the OP's list of usernames and I wasn't in the list but maybe that was just a random list of possible people who he would like to share their testimony. I'm a Christian because it made sense to me that there's a battle b/t good and evil. There are evil influences and good influences. The evil influence is bad, deceptive and a lie vs the good influence is the truth and love and in no other religion I found that! And what was like a God like Buddism for example, I was told they never claimed that they were a true God so it leads me to believe that the one true God is indeed Jesus Christ and He claimed it. I also feel that some of my prayers have been answered in Jesus' name.
Thank you so much for your beautiful testimony!

It is really more insightful than its short length and simple expression may indicate. I mean, really, you have hit on the essence of all conversion stories.

We all, at some point, have realized there's a struggle underneath the surface of that which is most obvious, and more often than not it awakens the realization that we would be missing out on pursuing the true purpose of life itself if we chose not to align ourselves with the side that would make our lives most meaningful.

And this, in turn, leads to a knowledge of the Leader of that side, Who is the proverbial "hidden" Reward.

I don't think you weren't yet a member of the forum when I started this thread. I only cite specific members to alert them to content for which I might have seen them show interest in the past and to jump start some traffic. The forum is open and all comments are welcome.

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As I contemplate my life, there are 2 things that at the moment are seemingly more in focus than anything else. First and foremost, is how far the Lord has brought me, and the unbelievably wonderful blessings He has given me since meeting Him in 1976. A marriage that despite our complete seeming incompatibility, has survived 45 years. We were opposites my wife and I, there was much friction, yet both of us knew, at the depths of our being, that we were given to one another as a gift. Nothing could tear us apart, what God joined, no-one could divide. Now we have 6 children, 13 grandchildren, and numerous miracles and providences that couldn't be denied. The latest came last Sabbath we arrived home from church, and got a call from my daughter who was relaying a message from a hospitala long way to the north of us. Our youngest son had been bitten by a spider. (This is Australia after all). Within 3 minutes he was at the hospital, and completely paralyzed. All he could do was communicate with his eyes, look left... No. Look right... Yes. No-one knew what kind of spider. There was little the doctors could do but bandage the bite area. This is the kind of message that terrifies parents. I immediately walked down the road to our neighbors who I had been at church with less than an hour earlier, and asked them to pray for my son, and they stood with me right then and prayed. I stayed for a few minutes and we shared with each other some more, and I left for home.
There was a message from my daughter. My son had just began to recover. He could talk. The paralysis was ebbing away from the top down. It was like he was thawing out after being frozen. This was 2:30 in the afternoon, just half an hour after the first call. He was discharged 4 hours later.
I don't believe in coincidences when it comes to prayer and our loving God. God hears, and answers prayer. This incident is but one of many throughout the course of the last 70 years of my life, confirming the care, the love, the power, and the goodness of the God I love. It's that kind of attention to the stuff of my life, preserving my marriage, caring for my children, providing for my family, that convinces me that God is faithful to His promises, and worth loving. But more than that. I am also convinced that throughout history, He has treated mankind in general with grace and goodness, and there is no reason for anyone, particularly those on this forum, to be afraid of Him, to distrust Him, and to think that He will treat them with anything less than the same love He demonstrated when His Son died for them on Calvary. And He did. For them. For everyone. Without exception.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm a Christian, solely because God chose me, I didn't choose Him. He filled me with His Holy Spirit and His love. Christ is in me; I live in the flesh for Him and Christ died for me , so can live an abundant life worshipping Him. Jesus is coming soon, halleluiah, praise the Lord.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Math and science prove God is real.
"Prove" is a very strong word (and I hear you loud and clear) but assuming you are correct, I have to wonder why so many mathematicians and scientists go out of their way to deny God's existence.

Of course, it's common to simply say that their understanding of math and science is ill-conceived, but considering that is true even to the extent that the very definitions of math and science themselves are actually changing, I'm just not sure how meaningful a blanket statement that math and science prove God is real could actually be. :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I contemplate my life, there are 2 things that at the moment are seemingly more in focus than anything else. First and foremost, is how far the Lord has brought me, and the unbelievably wonderful blessings He has given me since meeting Him in 1976. A marriage that despite our complete seeming incompatibility, has survived 45 years. We were opposites my wife and I, there was much friction, yet both of us knew, at the depths of our being, that we were given to one another as a gift. Nothing could tear us apart, what God joined, no-one could divide. Now we have 6 children, 13 grandchildren, and numerous miracles and providences that couldn't be denied. The latest came last Sabbath we arrived home from church, and got a call from my daughter who was relaying a message from a hospitala long way to the north of us. Our youngest son had been bitten by a spider. (This is Australia after all). Within 3 minutes he was at the hospital, and completely paralyzed. All he could do was communicate with his eyes, look left... No. Look right... Yes. No-one knew what kind of spider. There was little the doctors could do but bandage the bite area. This is the kind of message that terrifies parents. I immediately walked down the road to our neighbors who I had been at church with less than an hour earlier, and asked them to pray for my son, and they stood with me right then and prayed. I stayed for a few minutes and we shared with each other some more, and I left for home.
There was a message from my daughter. My son had just began to recover. He could talk. The paralysis was ebbing away from the top down. It was like he was thawing out after being frozen. This was 2:30 in the afternoon, just half an hour after the first call. He was discharged 4 hours later.
I don't believe in coincidences when it comes to prayer and our loving God. God hears, and answers prayer. This incident is but one of many throughout the course of the last 70 years of my life, confirming the care, the love, the power, and the goodness of the God I love. It's that kind of attention to the stuff of my life, preserving my marriage, caring for my children, providing for my family, that convinces me that God is faithful to His promises, and worth loving. But more than that. I am also convinced that throughout history, He has treated mankind in general with grace and goodness, and there is no reason for anyone, particularly those on this forum, to be afraid of Him, to distrust Him, and to think that He will treat them with anything less than the same love He demonstrated when His Son died for them on Calvary. And He did. For them. For everyone. Without exception.
I'm so happy to hear that your son is alright. God is so merciful to us.

At the risk of distracting from your wonderful testimony, I don't think I could live in Australia without a freezer full of active charcoal poultices. I would be in constant fear of some loathsome creature rendering the life force out of someone I love (a slight exaggeration... I think). :eek::oops:o_O;)

Reactions: Brakelite

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thank you so much for your beautiful testimony!

It is really more insightful than its short length and simple expression may indicate. I mean, really, you have hit on the essence of all conversion stories.

We all, at some point, have realized there's a struggle underneath the surface of that which is most obvious, and more often than not it awakens the realization that we would be missing out on pursuing the true purpose of life itself if we chose not to align ourselves with the side that would make our lives most meaningful.

And this, in turn, leads to a knowledge of the Leader of that side, Who is the proverbial "hidden" Reward.

I don't think you weren't yet a member of the forum when I started this thread. I only cite specific members to alert them to content for which I might have seen them show interest in the past and to jump start some traffic. The forum is open and all comments are welcome.
You're welcome! it's nice communicating to you and everyone on this thread. Thank you for your compliment. I am flattered but most importantly, this is to share/testify to unbelievers but also share to believers. I really like what you have written. :)

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
@amadeus @JunChosen @robert derrick @CharismaticLady @charity @Nancy @Backlit @Tong2020 @marks @Hidden In Him @Christophany @GEN2REV @ReChoired @Ziggy @An Apologetic Sheepdog

I think it is taken for granted that most Christians have basically the same reason for being so. But I also think it's worth exploring. What if you were tried for your faith by a system that was hostile toward it? What would your testimony be if you were faced with this seemingly simple question? I may add or change answers to the poll as requested within reason. Please don't be offended if I haven't included yours. And don't be afraid to make your responses very personal.
I'll give you my testimony/ies-one day-I just wonder how easy it is to talk about Jesus-and what should happen when under duress? Extreme duress?
Will our testimonies hold? Speaking from experience.
Later barn'
Love you brother.
Johann.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Prove" is a very strong word (and I hear you loud and clear) but assuming you are correct, I have to wonder why so many mathematicians and scientists go out of their way to deny God's existence.

Of course, it's common to simply say that their understanding of math and science is ill-conceived, but considering that is true even to the extent that the very definitions of math and science themselves are actually changing, I'm just not sure how meaningful a blanket statement that math and science prove God is real could actually be. :)

People of ancient times needed a prophet working miracles to know God is real.

Those of today can know the answer by making a sincere effort to seek truth/knowledge. The answers have been written across books that were published and the internet. Digging through things that are untrue is necessary to find truth. But it can be known with a little time and effort.

Starting salary for many scientists is $30,000 a year. They're paid less than managers at mcdonalds. Yet some scientists afford luxury cars, big houses and expensive trips. How?

There is nothing remarkable about the culture or political implications of science in this day and age. Their format is a standard trend for most of history.

What is noteworthy is the trend of many christians adopting a strategy of distancing themselves as much as possible from science, politics and knowledge. A policy of isolationism in an attempt to use ignorance and entitlement as shields.

Jesus said: you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.

Many christians have adopted a stance opposite to Jesus' words. They believe truth/fact is a burden. They're better off distancing themselves from it, and knowing nothing.

If knowing the truth sets us free.

Choosing to not know truth could naturally enslave us?

Should we be surprised if that set of choices produce those results?

Looking around the world countries with low levels of education correlate highly with corruption, crime and oppression. Lesser knowledge is associated with negative trends in society.

Long story short Jesus gave us the answer to maintaining freedom and solving our problems 2,000 years ago. "Know the truth and be free."

Knowledge = freedom.

Yet for whatever reason the gist of it hasn't really caught on over the last 2,000 years.

Maybe people prefer to be oppressed and persecuted rather than have freedom considering the choices I see people make almost always lead in that direction.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll give you my testimony/ies-one day-I just wonder how easy it is to talk about Jesus-and what should happen when under duress? Extreme duress?
Will our testimonies hold? Speaking from experience.
Later barn'
Love you brother.
Johann.
I'll never forget you, J. Brothers for eternal life. I can't wait to meet you in person. :waves:

• Love
Reactions: Johann