Why Argue Against Doing the Law?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gee, I've never heard that argument before. :rolleyes:

263___yawn-emoji.png

Please see a thousand previous replies to your argument.

1 Cor and Rev make no mention of "Friday sundown to Saturday sundown".

The Commandments of the LORD Jesus Christ are not the commandments of OT Law.

Some continue just as they did from Genesis before the Mosaic law.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Cor and Rev make no mention of "Friday sundown to Saturday sundown".

The Commandments of the LORD Jesus Christ are not the commandments of OT Law.

Some continue just as they did from Genesis before the Mosaic law.
Well, maybe you're comfortable making that judgment call. Me, not so much.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, maybe you're comfortable making that judgment call. Me, not so much.

i have sinned against Elohim and therefore was under the penalty of death until the Call of the FATHER came and i was brought to Messiah.

Blind as blind could be
SOMEONE told me i could see
HE said to me 'Come take a Look'
so i did and HE opened the Good Book

There and Behold, just as i was Told, SOMEONE who looked like me
How can that be - HE who looked like me - How can GOD be so simple and FREE?
Though HE walked this earth no sin was attached to His Birth
HE walked and talked so FREE - certainly not like me!
my heart began to fear for my sin was everywhere - HE was not like me!!!
HE took my hand and said "Look and SEE" - for now my sin was upon that TREE
Oh what Great Loss was upon that Cross for my sin was now on HE
i cried and cried watching Him die, His Place offered for me
Oh what sin was upon HIM, dying on that TREE - all this HE did for me

may i yield to HIM for HE is WORTH more then this world could ever birth
HIS Will from Heaven to be done on this earth
How can this be in a nobody like me???
HE told me this, so that i could SEE
the SPIRIT of TRUTH I send to thee
Yes Yes True REST from Above
Spreading His Wings in the TREE of the Dove
for those HE Loves now will SEE

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i am not under the Levitical law, so the answer is no.
I didn't ask you if you were under the Levitical law, and you know it.

But, if you want to play silly games:

Have you ever committed a sin that would sign your death warrant IF you were under Levitical law?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i have sinned against Elohim and therefore was under the penalty of death until the Call of the FATHER came and i was brought to Messiah.

Blind as blind could be
SOMEONE told me i could see
HE said to me 'Come take a Look'
so i did and HE opened the Good Book

There and Behold, just as i was Told, SOMEONE who looked like me
How can that be - HE who looked like me - How can GOD be so simple and FREE?
Though HE walked this earth no sin was attached to His Birth
HE walked and talked so FREE - certainly not like me!
my heart began to fear for my sin was everywhere - HE was not like me!!!
HE took my hand and said "Look and SEE" - for now my sin was upon that TREE
Oh what Great Loss was upon that Cross for my sin was now on HE
i cried and cried watching Him die, His Place offered for me
Oh what sin was upon HIM, dying on that TREE - all this HE did for me

may i yield to HIM for HE is WORTH more then this world could ever birth
HIS Will from Heaven to be done on this earth
How can this be in a nobody like me???
HE told me this, so that i could SEE
the SPIRIT of TRUTH I send to thee
Yes Yes True REST from Above
Spreading His Wings in the TREE of the Dove
for those HE Loves now will SEE
And now you have only 9 commandments to keep. I get it.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And now you have only 9 commandments to keep. I get it.

the LORD gave us only Two Commandments to obey.

But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”
Matthew 22:34-40

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh. Only me?

i am only speaking to you, but now Barny as well.

Obviously it applies to anyone and all who seek to obey the righteousness of the law.
One Big Problem - only One Man has ever kept it to the FATHER'S Good Pleasure.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the LORD gave us only Two Commandments to obey.

But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”
Matthew 22:34-40
Didn't see that comin'. What'll I do now? :eek:

Oh, I got it. So, being under those two commandments (law), out of the old ten, which of the other 9 (besides the 4th) are you allowed to break? :)

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't think you need a new heart to keep the Sabbath? The Pharisees kept the Sabbath absolutely meticulously, yet Jesus had a major battle with them over that very thing. Why do you think that is?

Did you understand the rest of my post? You would know the answer if you actually understood.

The letter is the day which the Pharisees kept.
The Spirit is Jesus which the Pharisees could not understand that they were battling their own Messiah.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Didn't see that comin'. What'll I do now? :eek:

Oh, I got it. So, being under those two commandments (law), out of the old ten, which of the other 9 (besides the 4th) are you allowed to break? :)

The point is Barn, that because we keep the first one, including the second one covers all 10, and even deeper to the core issue of iniquity. I certainly hope you are not against keeping those two. LOL I know you keep them, but your post is almost meaning you are scoffing at them. You're not are you? You're not choosing the Sabbath day over Jesus are you? See, that is ridiculous, but that's what is 'sounds' like.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarneyFife

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BarnyFife

Can you see that to love your neighbor as yourself more than covers the moral law of the last 6 commandments? So if you keep that one, you CANNOT break the last six? So asking someone which one of those last 6 we can break is moot.

Well, if you love Jesus with all your heart, you are automatically keeping the first four, but not just once a week, but 24/7/365. So the same goes for the 4th. We keep the spiritual meaning of the Sabbath day by abiding in Jesus. The Spirit also goes deeper than the 4th letter of the law commandment. It is deeper, and is also kept 24/7/365

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point is Barn, that because we keep the first one, including the second one covers all 10, and even deeper to the core issue of iniquity. I certainly hope you are not against keeping those two. LOL I know you keep them, but your post is almost meaning you are scoffing at them. You're not are you? You're not choosing the Sabbath day over Jesus are you? See, that is ridiculous, but that's what is 'sounds' like.
@BarnyFife

Can you see that to love your neighbor as yourself more than covers the moral law of the last 6 commandments? So if you keep that one, you CANNOT break the last six? So asking someone which one of those last 6 we can break is moot.

Well, if you love Jesus with all your heart, you are automatically keeping the first four, but not just once a week, but 24/7/365. So the same goes for the 4th. We keep the spiritual meaning of the Sabbath day by abiding in Jesus. The Spirit also goes deeper than the 4th letter of the law commandment. It is deeper, and is also kept 24/7/365
Sis, I gotta get back to you on this tomorrow, okay? :)

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Did you understand the rest of my post? You would know the answer if you actually understood.

The letter is the day which the Pharisees kept.
The Spirit is Jesus which the Pharisees could not understand that they were battling their own Messiah.
And yet you have been saying that the letter couldn't be obeyed without the spirit... Yet the Pharisees managed it perfectly... Or did they? But the real point is your, and others, automatic defense for your own resistance to the 4th Commandment is
  1. to come down on others attempting to prove either obedience can't be done...
  2. (No-one can obey the commandments) or others are doing it wrong...(obeying the letter without the spirit [without considering their own doing it according to the spirit, say they, without needing to obey the letter]).
Obviously it applies to anyone and all who seek to obey the righteousness of the law.
Loving Jesus is what motivates folk to obey His commandments... It isn't from fear of death if I fail now and again. That applies to all the Commandments... Not just the 4th. But tell me.
Do you work on the Sabbath?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
One Big Problem - only One Man has ever kept it to the FATHER'S Good Pleasure.
See how well you reconcile and harmonize your quote above with this....
KJV Romans 8:3-4, 7-9
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Reactions: BarneyFife