Why do Catholics adore, worship and deify Mary so much?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I strongly suggest that you submit to the authority of Christ and his church. That means believing the Bible as a start, not Catholic denomination nonsense.

There is nothing in the Bible that says that Mary was a "perpetual virgin". That is a total lie!!!

and the Bible and Jesus sat obey the apostles and the church which he established with his authority

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you don’t believe the church has authority?

Nice try changing the subject! The church is the body of Christ, not your Catholic denomination. The body of Christ has the authority given to it by Christ, but must act according to His will. That rules out your Catholic denomination.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the “Bible alone” is now what we “think” the writer or apostle “ment”???

You have lost it!!! The Bible is the inerrant word of God. I know Catholics have heaped all kinds of strange doctrines and rituals on top of it, but those are not from God. Sola scriptura!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet yall teach MEN ALONE have the authority . FOR YE say ITS WHAT OUR CHURCH MEN TEACH that has final authority .
TELL ME , HOW IS that different from the mormons or any other denomination you seem so adamant to attack .
MOST ALL DO THIS . AND YOU are falling for the same lie as they do . NOW OPEN BIBLE and read it for yourself .

Great advice! theefaith is caught in a trap, yet has no desire to free himself. Very, very sad!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and the Bible and Jesus sat obey the apostles and the church which he established with his authority

Correct. The church that He established is not(!) the Catholic denomination. The church that He established is His body, built on the cornerstone of Jesus Christ himself. It is alive and well in the form of Protestantism, not the Catholic denomination. Don't believe me? Ask Mary!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, not "the church", only your denomination, which adds false information to what the Bible clearly says. You can claim perpetual virginity of Mary "'til the cows come home" but that will never make it true. Why do you continue to contradict what the Bible clearly says in favor of Catholic lies?

show me a denomination in scripture?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ is the head of His Church and never once taught perpetual virginity of Mary.

Maybe you are in the wrong church.

“When you are sect can say that let you know”? LOL

Just told you Jesus Christ never said what “your church” claims.

Jn 20:30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:

31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Jn 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Show me the word "Catholic" in scripture -- anywhere!

Although the word "denomination" doesn't appear in Scripture, it's obvious from Paul's writings to the various cities -- Rome, Corinth, Ephesus, Philippi, Colossae, the region of Galatia, as well as the various churches described in the beginning of Revelation, that different places had different ideologies.

Again, there is no mention of "Catholic" anywhere in the Bible.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jn 20:30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:

31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Jn 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

This is false reasoning. There is no mention of the perpetual virginity of Mary in the Bible. As I have said before, Jesus had brothers!

Also, the verses that you cited describe Jesus' signs and deeds. As usual, your arguments are absurd and off-topic.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The apostle Paul gave warning against divisions in the church. We read...

1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
[12] Now I say this, that each of you says, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ."

Regardless of Paul's concern, we now have THOUSANDS of denominations. Some of which are Lutheran (of Martin Luther the German monk who began the Protestant Reformation), some are Calvinists (of John Calvin), Baptists, Catholic and the list goes on.

Reactions: Jim B

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet yall teach MEN ALONE have the authority . FOR YE say ITS WHAT OUR CHURCH MEN TEACH that has final authority .
TELL ME , HOW IS that different from the mormons or any other denomination you seem so adamant to attack .
MOST ALL DO THIS . AND YOU are falling for the same lie as they do . NOW OPEN BIBLE and read it for yourself .

until the 20th century most people could not read! What do they do?
What if you are blind?
There was no approved canon until 381 what did they do?

Have you opened you’re Bible and read Jude 1:3 Matt 28:19

Truth must be revealed by God, and in its fullness in the sacred deposit of faith by Christ to his church! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3 and must be taught by the church, or proposed for our belief by the apostles!
Matt 28:19-20 Lk 1:4 Jn 20:21 acts 8:31 Rom 1:5 col 2:7 1 Tim 3:15 matt 18:17

Must be instructed in the faith:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations…

Jn 29:21-23 as the father sent me, so I send you. (Same mission, power, and authority to teach all nations)

Lk 10:16 He who hears you, (His apostles) hear me.

Jn 13:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Jn 8:32 You (the apostles) shall know the truth; and the truth shall make you free.

Jn 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
(His apostles)

The whole purpose for the church of Jesus Christ is to teach all nations the truths revealed by Christ and the salvation of souls!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. The church that He established is not(!) the Catholic denomination. The church that He established is His body, built on the cornerstone of Jesus Christ himself. It is alive and well in the form of Protestantism, not the Catholic denomination. Don't believe me? Ask Mary!

the true historic church founded by Christ condemned Protestantism in a holy apostolic council with the apostles exercising the authority of Christ

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
until the 20th century most people could not read! What do they do?
What if you are blind?
There was no approved canon until 381 what did they do?

Have you opened you’re Bible and read Jude 1:3 Matt 28:19

Truth must be revealed by God, and in its fullness in the sacred deposit of faith by Christ to his church! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3 and must be taught by the church, or proposed for our belief by the apostles!
Matt 28:19-20 Lk 1:4 Jn 20:21 acts 8:31 Rom 1:5 col 2:7 1 Tim 3:15 matt 18:17

Must be instructed in the faith:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations…

Jn 29:21-23 as the father sent me, so I send you. (Same mission, power, and authority to teach all nations)

Lk 10:16 He who hears you, (His apostles) hear me.

Jn 13:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Jn 8:32 You (the apostles) shall know the truth; and the truth shall make you free.

Jn 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
(His apostles)

The whole purpose for the church of Jesus Christ is to teach all nations the truths revealed by Christ and the salvation of souls!

I hate to break this to you but... we're well into the 21st century. Millions and millions of people are literate, and bibles are easily available throughout much of the world. Perhaps your Catholic denomination has drilled it into people's heads that the truth lies with the (often corrupt) priesthood and its mythology, but that is not valid.

Even Catholics such as yourself distort what the Bible clearly says. It has long been the practice of the Catholic denomination to a) distort what the Bible clearly says and b) load unscriptural ritual upon ritual, unscriptural teaching upon teaching, etc. to the point that God's(!) word has lost its proper place of prominence.

Your denomination has invented a form of Christianity that is closer to Old Testament ritual and pagan ideas than it is to the teachings of Christ as clearly expressed in the Bible. Additionally, the Catholic use of Scripture is invariably untrue and/or out of context. Examples of this are the perpetual virginity of Mary and the citing of Peter as the first Pope. Mary was a virgin until she had intercourse with Joseph and Peter was a confused, fallible man whom Jesus called "Satan" and Paul cited as a hypocrite.

Sola scriptura!

P.S. You got one thing right, although you clearly don't understand that it contradicts your whole argument. John 16:13-14, "But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. For he will not speak on his own authority, but will speak whatever he hears, and will tell you what is to come. He will glorify me, because he will receive from me what is mine and will tell it to you." The Spirit of truth will guide you into all truth, not priests or their interpretations! He will not speak on his own, but will speak the pure truth of Christ.

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Show me the word "Catholic" in scripture -- anywhere!

Although the word "denomination" doesn't appear in Scripture, it's obvious from Paul's writings to the various cities -- Rome, Corinth, Ephesus, Philippi, Colossae, the region of Galatia, as well as the various churches described in the beginning of Revelation, that different places had different ideologies.

Again, there is no mention of "Catholic" anywhere in the Bible.

really!

Major covenants!

God initiated each covenant and the mediator always remains on earth mediating the covenant except for Christ who made Peter His personal representative and vicar! (Matt 16:18)

Adam
(Marriage covenant)

Noah
(Family covenant)

Abraham
(Tribal covenant)

Moses:
(National covenant)

Jesus Christ:
(Universal covenant)

New and eternal covenant founded by Jesus Christ! Matt 16:18

Universal (Catholic)
World universal

Lk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. ( catholic universal) All men!

Lk 2:31 prepared before the face of all (catholic) people. All men!

Jn 1:29 lamb of God who takes way the sins of the world. All men!

Jn 3:16 for God so loved the world

1 Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. All men!

Lk 2: 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. All men!

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (All people universal) All men!

1 Tim 2:5 one mediator

Jn 10:16 One new covenant church

Daniel 7:18
But the saints of the most High shall take the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever.

Lk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Lk 22:29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

Matthew 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
really!

Major covenants!

God initiated each covenant and the mediator always remains on earth mediating the covenant except for Christ who made Peter His personal representative and vicar! (Matt 16:18)

Adam
(Marriage covenant)

Noah
(Family covenant)

Abraham
(Tribal covenant)

Moses:
(National covenant)

Jesus Christ:
(Universal covenant)

New and eternal covenant founded by Jesus Christ! Matt 16:18

Universal (Catholic)
World universal

Lk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. ( catholic universal) All men!

Lk 2:31 prepared before the face of all (catholic) people. All men!

Jn 1:29 lamb of God who takes way the sins of the world. All men!

Jn 3:16 for God so loved the world

1 Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. All men!

Lk 2: 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. All men!

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (All people universal) All men!

1 Tim 2:5 one mediator

Jn 10:16 One new covenant church

Daniel 7:18
But the saints of the most High shall take the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever.

Lk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Lk 22:29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

Matthew 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

You don't win an argument by changing the subject! Those who do so, including yourself, admit that they're wrong.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is false reasoning. There is no mention of the perpetual virginity of Mary in the Bible. As I have said before, Jesus had brothers!

Also, the verses that you cited describe Jesus' signs and deeds. As usual, your arguments are absurd and off-topic.

Jesus has brother and the perpetual virginity of Mary can both be true!

the virgin birth and Joseph is the father of Jesus are both true

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The apostle Paul gave warning against divisions in the church. We read...

1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
[12] Now I say this, that each of you says, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ."

Regardless of Paul's concern, we now have THOUSANDS of denominations. Some of which are Lutheran (of Martin Luther the German monk who began the Protestant Reformation), some are Calvinists (of John Calvin), Baptists, Catholic and the list goes on.

no only one true church Jn 10:16 all other are heretical sects unauthorized tradition of men

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hate to break this to you but... we're well into the 21st century. Millions and millions of people are literate, and bibles are easily available throughout much of the world. Perhaps your Catholic denomination has drilled it into people's heads that the truth lies with the (often corrupt) priesthood and its mythology, but that is not valid.

Even Catholics such as yourself distort what the Bible clearly says. It has long been the practice of the Catholic denomination to a) distort what the Bible clearly says and b) load unscriptural ritual upon ritual, unscriptural teaching upon teaching, etc. to the point that God's(!) word has lost its proper place of prominence.

Your denomination has invented a form of Christianity that is closer to Old Testament ritual and pagan ideas than it is to the teachings of Christ as clearly expressed in the Bible. Additionally, the Catholic use of Scripture is invariably untrue and/or out of context. Examples of this are the perpetual virginity of Mary and the citing of Peter as the first Pope. Mary was a virgin until she had intercourse with Joseph and Peter was a confused, fallible man whom Jesus called "Satan" and Paul cited as a hypocrite.

Sola scriptura!

P.S. You got one thing right, although you clearly don't understand that it contradicts your whole argument. John 16:13-14, "But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. For he will not speak on his own authority, but will speak whatever he hears, and will tell you what is to come. He will glorify me, because he will receive from me what is mine and will tell it to you." The Spirit of truth will guide you into all truth, not priests or their interpretations! He will not speak on his own, but will speak the pure truth of Christ.

can you be saved without a priest?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sola scriptura!

the “Bible alone”? Then why does it say we must be taught???

Christians must be taught

We cannot read and decide doctrine for themselves according to scripture we must be “taught”!

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Acts 8:31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

One faith!

Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism.

Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

One heart / one mind

Acts 4:32
And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul:

Romans 15:6
That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Apostles received the truth from Christ and are inspired by the Holy Spirit and are commanded to teach all men! Jn 8:32 Jn 16:13 Matt 28:19

Apostles have same mission, power, ministry, and authority as Christ!
Jn 20:21