Why Do Christians Decide To Post?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been thinking a great deal about the reasons why Christians choose to read and post on message boards. This has become important to me in the last week after the failure of the Catholic thread. For me, I am here to engage in conversation about Christian ideas - many of them involve speculation. I have become painful aware that most participants on this thread do not share my motivation for being here. So why do you decide to participate? It would be helpful if you number and listed your reasons - I am hoping it will help me to understand the culture of the board better - Thanks

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I've been thinking a great deal about the reasons why Christians choose to read and post on message boards. This has become important to me in the last week after the failure of the Catholic thread. For me, I am here to engage in conversation about Christian ideas - many of them involve speculation. I have become painful aware that most participants on this thread do not share my motivation for being here. So why do you decide to participate? It would be helpful if you number and listed your reasons - I am hoping it will help me to understand the culture of the board better - Thanks
But you have shown that your "motivation" is to attack the Bible, God's Word. When you find out the Truth that the Bible is God's Word the pain will go away.

Reactions: TexUs and Anastacia

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you have shown that your "motivation" is to attack the Bible, God's Word. When you find out the Truth that the Bible is God's Word the pain will go away.

Boy, I sure wish you would just answer one of my questions.....

So far, you haven't even explained to me how I am attacking the Bible - I have no idea what you are talking about with this statement. All I am doing is talking about the Bible.
So please explain. Then you can answer the reason why you post here.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Boy, I sure wish you would just answer one of my questions.....

So far, you haven't even explained to me how I am attacking the Bible - I have no idea what you are talking about with this statement. All I am doing is talking about the Bible.
So please explain. Then you can answer the reason why you post here.
I have clearly answered. So it's your turn to tell us why you attack the Bible and profess to be Christian.

Reactions: Anastacia

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have clearly answered. So it's your turn to tell us why you attack the Bible and profess to be Christian.

Where? I have asked you to answer many times and never saw you do it so please repost

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Already did. You chose to ignore it.

Unbelievable. I see you are dancing around again. It reminds of our last conversation - you posted on and on but never admitted that you were wrong about Christians having to give up ALL their rights

ok....back to the topic

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I first started to post on any Christian Internet forum several years ago, my purpose was definitely agenda oriented. That is to say I primarily hoped to place my own beliefs into the hearts of others. After learning many other sets of beliefs existed among so-called Christians than I had ever really imagined, I began to see my own beliefs change. Eventually, my purpose also shifted from that pushing my own agenda mode to really three things that I readily see now:

1) sharing with others
2) reading what others were sharing
3) attempting to help others with agendas to change their direction to God's

The first two are not difficult for anyone that is interested in doing them. The third one is really impossible unless God is already leading the person toward seeing that for himself and you are just the final instrument to accomplish God's purpose.

Our difficulty in even beginning to communicate rather than to simply throw chunks of belief back and forth is the truth that is in the following verse:

" Every way of a man is right in his own eyes : but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Proverbs 21:2

That verse in Proverbs remains true for us even after we start serving the Lord. What each of us must do is to be changed so that we are able to recognise and admit to ourselves that we are not always right. Only God is always right and righteous . We must ask for His help to do these things. We cannot do it alone and it doesn't not come, at least not to me, as an answer to one one-time only prayer request.

Part and parcel with Prov 21:2 is the following verse:

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps " Jeremiah 10:23.

We need a need leader inside of us. That leader must be the Holy Ghost if we are to ever be able to direct our steps along God's pathway all of the time rather than along a pathway that our old man would choose. This holds true even if we accept an outside authority such as a priest or minister. Any man, even a man of God who is given authority from God, can stumble. This is why even though we can learn to have confidence in a measure in other men, the only One we can always trust is God through His Son, Jesus.

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
There are some here that start new threads to promote an agenda. I can name names, however I think you know exactly who you are, just look down the New Content list and the same names are repeated over and over...
"I don't wish to discuss, I just wish to promote my agenda" is a paraphrase of more than one person I've seen here.

I do because I was seeking an answer, and thus posted. Another topic caught my eye, and so forth.

For me, I am here to engage in conversation about Christian ideas
Denying the Bible is not a "Christian idea".

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are some here that start new threads to promote an agenda. I can name names, however I think you know exactly who you are, just look down the New Content list and the same names are repeated over and over...
"I don't wish to discuss, I just wish to promote my agenda" is a paraphrase of more than one person I've seen here.

I do because I was seeking an answer, and thus posted. Another topic caught my eye, and so forth.

Denying the Bible is not a "Christian idea".

Funny that you accuse "someone" of promoting a hidden agenda and you cannot even address me in a straightforward manner.

Step out of the darkness and speak freely - what is my agenda?

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you had a choice between God and the Bible, which one would you choose?

Ah yes, the false dilemma. The ultimate in logical fallacies. You can't separate God from his communication any more than you can separate a man from his for, "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." (Matt. 12:34) What a man speaks is a reflection of the man and what God speaks is a reflection of God.

So, to answer your false dichotomy, I will choose God and his word. They're inseparable. The choice you present is not even a remote possibility.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I joined a Christian forum so I can have good wholesome conversations about just anything. I didn't realize there were so many debates and arguments. I didn't realize that everyone seems to feel like they have to only talk about God and the Bible.

Although, I did want some sort of biblical discussion and assumed there would be certain sections for that.

Why do I still post now? I like learning, I like discussing, I like helping, and I like getting help. I like the whole dynamic of human dialog with believers of all types that I don't normally get in life. However, to have a wholesome conversation (wholesome as in family friendly) I have turned to other secular forums.

With as stressfull as my life has been, I thought it would be great to have some light hearted conversations with others of faith.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Ah yes, the false dilemma. The ultimate in logical fallacies. You can't separate God from his communication any more than you can separate a man from his for, "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." (Matt. 12:34) What a man speaks is a reflection of the man and what God speaks is a reflection of God.

So, to answer your false dichotomy, I will choose God and his word. They're inseparable. The choice you present is not even a remote possibility.

As I said to you under the other thread, the Bible (written scripture) existed since the fourth century. There is a living "Word of God," and this "Living Word" is not written scripture. This living "Word" existed with God and is God. His name is Jesus Christ, and Jesus was never a book that only existed in the fourth century. Abraham knew who God was before scripture was written down. Even Adam and Eve knew who God was before scripture was written down. They knew God through their faith. If all the Bibles were destroyed, God will still call people just as He did a long time ago, and these people will preach His word until they were once again written down. My faith is with God, not with the Bible.

God comes first before anything else. The Bible is not supposed to be worshipped. Only God should be worshipped. And the Bible (written scripture) is not equal to God. The only ones equal to God are the Son (Jesus Christ) and the Holy Spirit.

In Christ,
Selene

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
However, to have a wholesome conversation (wholesome as in family friendly) I have turned to other secular forums.
Might I suggest just avoid obvious debate topics...
Doctrinal issues and politics are things that are debated.

There are other threads on here that are just light hearted discussion, however most threads on here are not started with that purpose in mind. ("What kind of convictions have you had lately" is a light hearted topic... "The Bible is not the Word of God" is going to be a debate).

Or many that masquerade as a light hearted conversation have underlying and foundational doctrinal stances that will unavoidably be addressed. ("Since this doctrine is true, how do you feel about this?"... Making a statement about a doctrine).

I suggest finding some other topic you enjoy (secular forums) like video games, sound, phones, vehicles, gardening- IDK... Generally more light hearted, but I'm sure you'll get people bickering over the best shovel as well :p

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Might I suggest just avoid obvious debate topics...
Doctrinal issues and politics are things that are debated.

There are other threads on here that are just light hearted discussion, however most threads on here are not started with that purpose in mind. ("What kind of convictions have you had lately" is a light hearted topic... "The Bible is not the Word of God" is going to be a debate).

Or many that masquerade as a light hearted conversation have underlying and foundational doctrinal stances that will unavoidably be addressed. ("Since this doctrine is true, how do you feel about this?"... Making a statement about a doctrine).

I suggest finding some other topic you enjoy (secular forums) like video games, sound, phones, vehicles, gardening- IDK... Generally more light hearted, but I'm sure you'll get people bickering over the best shovel as well :p

LOL, Bickering over a shovel is funny and very enjoyable. :lol: The best part is I have not once seen someone tell another, "You don't like Huskey shovels? Then you're going to hell! Repent!"

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL, Bickering over a shovel is funny and very enjoyable. :lol: The best part is I have not once seen someone tell another, "You don't like Huskey shovels? Then you're going to hell! Repent!"

Stay tuned.......

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
You know, there is all kind of weird on this thread. I feel like I'm missing part (or all) of the conversation!

But to get to the topic at hand; why do I post here? It's a good question, as I've found, like a few others here, that my hopes and thoughts upon joining have changed by the reality of it.
Ok, to start, I joined this board in the hopes to:

1 Actually converse with Christian brothers and sisters. I have a chronic Illness and live in an isolated area...I don't get out much, and certainly don't have a lot of fellow encouragement.
2 To share the wonder of the gospel with others, to be able to be excited about what Jesus did and what God continues to do not only in my life by in the world around me.
3 And finally to help me discuss my faith out right! I have since managed to start a small bible study out here, and its wonderful to be able to talk about my beliefs, but that was also my hope for this board. The more I talk of my love for Jesus, hopefully the easier it will get to admit it to complete strangers! (as in, the great commission!)

So, those were my hopes when joining. However, like Aspen I'm feeling a little shaken by what I've actually found here. I am truly overwhelmed by how many people, claiming to be Christian, are here only to: push their agendas, and are happy to tear verbal hunks out of people. I am shocked by how many people, claiming to be Christian deny key salvation issues, like the Trinity. I am dismayed by how many people believe their quest to be right trumps love or forgiveness, even simple kindness.
To be honest, I really haven't found any of the things I was looking for. I spend most of my time here trying to defend the things that our Savior died for, and while I don't mind a good discussion, I am weary of being labeled things like, 'ignorant' and 'stupid', even 'evil and damned.'
I can't quite believe that so many 'Christians' want to spend their time twisting doctrine to suit their needs, rather than amazing in what God has actually revealed of Himself.

So, I'm currently debating with myself If I should continue posting here. I do not like the way I always seem to be arguing. It doesn't matter that I'm arguing for Christ....at some point you have to walk away or you get dragged down into sin yourself.

So, anyway, that's my long winded post.
Just something I wanted to comment on; about the whole 'choose God or the Bible' thing.
Christians do not 'worship' the bible. But the bible is Gods revelation of Himself to us, and that makes it priceless! As it says; "All scripture is God breathed and therefor profitable".
How can we know God, His plan for salvation, the loving action of Jesus or any of it without the bible?? Without the Bible we would be left worshiping a God we know nothing about. How easy it would then be to make him what we want, not what He is!