Why Do People Go To Monasteries?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Violett

Apr 25, 2009
I couldn't ever understand the following:There are us, we need to stop sinning, otherwise we'll die. We repent, and we expect to avoid the lake of fire.But there are some of us who abandon worldly life and go to monasteries. They pray for hours, they work harder than us at getting rid of sinful thoughts and emotions. They devote the whole of their lives to it.Why do they do it? Does this kind of devotion give them a better chance? Do we stand a lesser chance?In other words, what's the goal of living in a monastery at all, what kind of advantage does it give to those who do it? It must give them some advantage, otherwise there would be no monasteries. If there's a need for them, there's something important about them. Please somebody enlighten me.

Vickie

Feb 26, 2009
QUOTE (Violet @ Apr 28 2009, 02:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73109
I couldn't ever understand the following:There are us, we need to stop sinning, otherwise we'll die. We repent, and we expect to avoid the lake of fire.But there are some of us who abandon worldly life and go to monasteries. They pray for hours, they work harder than us at getting rid of sinful thoughts and emotions. They devote the whole of their lives to it.Why do they do it? Does this kind of devotion give them a better chance? Do we stand a lesser chance?In other words, what's the goal of living in a monastery at all, what kind of advantage does it give to those who do it? It must give them some advantage, otherwise there would be no monasteries. If there's a need for them, there's something important about them. Please somebody enlighten me.
Yes, we are to strive to overcome sin. it is a daily awareness of becareful how we treat others and how we live our lives. First to our family and then to others. Our physical family is were it is the hardest and to conquer that we are on the right road. We have the Lord's blood to cover us where we fall short. Striving to live God's way towards others is a 24 hour focus. When we find ourself falling short we can call out to God for help.We should know that the Lake of Fire is real and always be striving to prefection praying to be found worthy. If we ever become happy with our existence and feel safe, I think we should be concerned, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION>this is how I live my life. It doesn't matter where God places one, we each have our trials that come. For the people in monasteries they have theirs, just as a minister does. No one escapes overcoming the sin within.Vickie

Violett

Apr 25, 2009
Thank you Vickie, and I wish you good luck on your path
smile.gif
But what do you think of monasteries? You didn't say it. The problem is that if people who go there have better chances, then why aren't we all encouraged to go there?It seems strange to me that there are people who live normal lives and there are those who pray for hours every day. If you can be saved simply by repenting and faith, then going to a monastery is such an excessive deed! And yet they do it.I guess I don't understand something.

Vickie

Feb 26, 2009
QUOTE (Violet @ Apr 29 2009, 08:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73152
Thank you Vickie, and I wish you good luck on your path
smile.gif
But what do you think of monasteries? You didn't say it. The problem is that if people who go there have better chances, then why aren't we all encouraged to go there?It seems strange to me that there are people who live normal lives and there are those who pray for hours every day. If you can be saved simply by repenting and faith, then going to a monastery is such an excessive deed! And yet they do it.I guess I don't understand something.
I think that people who go to Monastery are in a better shape than we are. Actually I think we are in better shape. Why? Because if we don't live in this world of sin, then we aren't able to exercise the holy spirit against the carnal flesh and spread the gospel of Christ by how we live and treat others. The gospel would stop being spread. That isn't what God called us into. thanks vickie