Why do so many of you insult fellow Christians that express a different understanding?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So many here are what I would describe as legalist zealots that don't believe in Jesus's commandment to love one another. When I read their insults, against me or another, I glean that they lack discernment and usually put them on "ignore". If you're quoting me and not getting a response, it's probably because I am no longer reading your posts.

Matthew 5:22
22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother[a] will be liable to judgment; whoever insults[b] his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell[c] of fire.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So many here are what I would describe as legalist zealots that don't believe in Jesus's commandment to love one another. When I read their insults, against me or another, I glean that they lack discernment and usually put them on "ignore". If you're quoting me and not getting a response, it's probably because I am no longer reading your posts.

22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother[a] will be liable to judgment; whoever insults[b] his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell[c] of fire.
Best way. But we can pray for them.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This same question has baffled me since day one on here. We must all grow together whether we like it or not, lol.
It is better to put on ignore those who do this, there is zero reason to be offensive to another Christian, or anyone for that matter! Yeah, was a shock to me also when I started. Was ready to leave soon as I got here. But, I grew a thick skin instead of leaving :)

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This same question has baffled me since day one on here. We must all grow together whether we like it or not, lol.
It is better to put on ignore those who do this, there is zero reason to be offensive to another Christian, or anyone for that matter! Yeah, was a shock to me also when I started. Was ready to leave soon as I got here. But, I grew a thick skin instead of leaving :)

In my experience, the people who hurl insults lack the discernment to teach me anything good. Seriously. There are good people here but perhaps only a handful that are really insightful and worth reading. I've seen posters provide a really solid, scriptural response to another's question only for them to be insulted in return.

I hope that my brothers and sisters here will realize their errors and change.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Knowledge puff up but love edifies."

I would also like to see people speaking graciously in their differences and not assuming the worst of each other.

When it does happen on here, I notice that it has a domino effect. "A soft answer turns away wrath." When someone is humble, it humbles other posters in the thread too.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my experience, the people who hurl insults lack the discernment to teach me anything good. Seriously. There are good people here but perhaps only a handful that are really insightful and worth reading. I've seen posters provide a really solid, scriptural response to another's question only for them to be insulted in return.

I hope that my brothers and sisters here will realize their errors and change.
I think the best we can do is to pray for others, and try to give the best example we can in our own posts.

Much love!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Lighten up on the legalist zealots buddy. They are a dieing breed, the old hell fire and brimstone folks. They pretty much have to yell their junk over the fence and run because everyone will throw rotten tomatoes at them.

legalist zealots that don't believe in Jesus's commandment to love one another.
No, I do not think that is the problem. I think you are offended by the words obey and morality.
Be good and do good will not get you to heaven.....but Christians should be good and do good.

Helping those that you can, will not get you to heaven, but not helping those you can, can get you to hell. (The parable of the sheep and the goats) These are the people that Christ will say to….‘I never knew you; depart from Me….

One of the false beliefs that has caused great harm in Christianity; Is that Christianity is like a club, sign up for it and go about as you were. Sometimes people wonder if they have enough faith? There is no gauge for that. If you believe, you believe….If you are wondering if you are saved or not….well…..

If being saved does not change you and how you look at things and how you live your life.....odds are "it did not take" Being saved can be an eye opening event and a shocking event. If you believe....you believe....and you are saved. Knowledge of the scriptures and education matters little....if you believe ....you are saved. The early Christians knew very little about the scriptures.....yet they were saved. But they were changed!

The morality of Christianity is what set it apart from all other religions.... Christianity defines God's morality. So Christianity is a religion of morals and the application of those morals….the Christian character. Now after 2000 years Christians have to look at the scriptures themselves and learn biblical morals....the morals of Christ that are taught in the New Testament. Then we have to look at the man-made morals and man-made sins and man-made false doctrines and learn to disregard them.

Our journey to heaven....our journey in Christianity starts when we are saved. That first step in that journey and from there..... work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure. Philippians 2:12-13

legalist zealots, not too many here….most know that none of us are perfect, and all of us are sinners….it is a good thing that God loves sinners and it is a good thing that God is patient with sinners….patient, not stupid. We learn morals, we sin, we learn from our mistakes and do not do the same thing over and over again like a dog turning on its own poop.

As far as spirited debates....we need to remind each other not to call each other names. But I do not think anyone hates here.

Reactions: dev553344

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“Yet let no man strive, nor reprove another: for thy people are as they that strive with the priest.” (Hosea 4:4, KJV)​

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are commanded to obey the commandments by Jesus. But that does not give us the right to cast judgment on sinners.
We are not commanded to obey the commandments by Jesus. Only those who aren't saved must obey the commandments. Christian have been given the Holy Spirit to be our guide, replacing the written commandments.

• Wow
Reactions: Nancy and L.A.M.B.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are not commanded to obey the commandments by Jesus. Only those who aren't saved must obey the commandments. Christian have been given the Holy Spirit to be our guide, replacing the written commandments.
Interesting way to respond. I think perhaps you should be addressing the topic of this thread instead of my beliefs.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There’s no “different understandings”.

There’s “obedient followers” and “disobedient followers”.

And many have twisted the scriptures so that they can be faithful to what they think the scriptures should say…

It’s that simple.
And the lambs will heed no such men who do twist the scrips .

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not the commandments of Moses but the law of Christ and his commandments.

John 15:10-12

10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

I pray we love one another even in online forums.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the lambs will heed no such men who do twist the scrips .
Lambs, as in dumb sheep? And a scrip is any substitute for legal tender. It is often a form of credit.

So sheep will not listen to people who twist money substitutes?

As usual, you make no sense.

• Sad
Reactions: Michiah-Imla

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not the commandments of Moses but the law of Christ and his commandments.

John 15:10-12

10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

I pray we love one another even in online forums.
There was once a man who wrote to a church and told them , though the MORE abundantley i love you
the less i be loved . Love cometh with correction . Now pual HAD the LOVE of GOD IN HIM .
And i would like to challenge us to reread ALL of his letters to the churches .
Love corrects . Love dont just hug and try and get along , IT corrects those in error within the church .
Do be encouraged . But i sure dont see the LOVE of GOD in many churches .
What i see is a sensual idea of what the love of GOD entails in churches . AND oh yeah its coming from the WORLD .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lambs, as in dumb sheep? And a scrip is any substitute for legal tender. It is often a form of credit.

So sheep will not listen to people who twist money substitutes?

As usual, you make no sense.
Well i am as a dumb sheep . a man in dire need of the SHEPARD . But you go and learn what that means .
And as far as money jim . I never said having money was a sin , I said loving it was .
Desiring it is . Heaping and steaping it up IS . Now go ye and learn what JESUS said about such things .