Why Do You Believe....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
No offense intended . . . but by definition that's the state of the ignorant, and that may not describe everyone.

Many questions are answered, but those answers are rejected. And then what shall we say?
No harm in being ignorant. We all are ignorant to more things than we are knowledgeable about. As far as questions go, whether or not the answers to them are accepted SHOULD based in fact, evidence, reality, and that which is verifiable. Just because an answer is presented don't make it one worthy of acceptance or at times even of respect. Answers can be and often are just wrong.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This question is an open-ended question specifically pertaining to the reasons believers give credibility to the religious text their faith is built on. Why do you believe the compilation of writings that we call the Bible is what it claims to be?
I had an experience.

Let's be honest, you guys tend to not look for anything credible and spend your whole time lacking faith because you already have it in your mind to discredit the possibility of judgment after death because most people do not want to be held accountable for their actions or be ruled over something more than themselves.

What are you actually looking for?

Are you searching because you want to justify yourself or because you want to believe?

You guys never find him for the same reason you cannot plant a rosebush in the middle of a gravel road. The heart needs to be open and honest to receive.

Would God himself justify a dishonest heart?

You have to have at least little soil for a seed to be planted.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get where you are coming from, but I have a slight disagreement. For me, without an absolute, meaning is subjective as opposed to meaningless. As we look at the world we live in and the reality in which we share, we see such subjectivity playing out continuously.
That subjectivity still holds some meaning due to the remnants of absolute truth. But when truth becomes reduced to opinion so meaning (whatever is left) will be meaningless.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I don't know" is simply TRUTH. Making up something or clinging to something someone else make up because 'I don't know' doesn't feel good is not honest. There are MANY questions that remain unanswered and as frustrating as that may be, that's the state of affairs we currently find ourselves in. Bottom line is when we don't know, we just don't know. No amount of injected preference affects that. Either we know or we don't, doesn't matter much how we feel.

Ok we know for sure that Jesus existed. That’s all I need to make the leap and go from there.

If you’re happy and at peace with “I don’t know” than good for you. You shouldn’t impose your way of life on anybody just like I’m not coming at your door and asking you to believe in anything.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No harm in being ignorant. We all are ignorant to more things than we are knowledgeable about. As far as questions go, whether or not the answers to them are accepted SHOULD based in fact, evidence, reality, and that which is verifiable. Just because an answer is presented don't make it one worthy of acceptance or at times even of respect. Answers can be and often are just wrong.
So what is the standard?

Is there anything you can know?

Much love!

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Let's be honest, you guys tend to not look for anything credible and spend your whole time lacking faith because you already have it in your mind to discredit the possibility of judgment after death because most people do not want to be held accountable for their actions or be ruled over something more than themselves.
I'm not "you guys", I'm an individual, so let's start there. My mind is malleable and my heart is open to compelling evidence. As far as accountability goes, I pay my taxes, I take care of my family, I treat others with respect, basically, I behave like my actions affect and matter to more than just myself, so yeah in that regard, I'm accountable to something more than myself.
What are you actually looking for?
Truth demonstrated by verifiable evidence.

Are you searching because you want to justify yourself or because you want to believe?
I really don't have a want in all of this other than to know and follow truth in actuality.
You guys never find him for the same reason you cannot plant a rosebush in the middle of a gravel road. The heart needs to be open and honest to receive.

Would God himself justify a dishonest heart?
There you go with that "you guys" language in an attempt to create an "us" and "them", insiders vs. outsiders. That's a sure way to poison the well and make it all but impossible to progress together fairly and honestly with marginalizing the one in the "them" category.
I believe we can choose to do better and I vow to treat you as the individual you are as well as with dignity and respect.

Reactions: prism

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
That subjectivity still holds some meaning due to the remnants of absolute truth. But when truth becomes reduced to opinion so meaning (whatever is left) will be meaningless.
Just to clarify, we're talking absolute meaning, not absolute truths as many truths are demonstrable, testable, and able to be verified, thus qualifying them to be considered as absolute truths. As far as meaning is concerned for the sake of this discussion, it lives more in the subjective realm as it is dictated by many subjective pillars like culture, personal sensitivities, upbringing, education, preferences, etc. This subjective meaning is not so much meaningless, but more so situationally ascribed by by an individual, a group, or even a society.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
If you’re happy and at peace with “I don’t know” than good for you. You shouldn’t impose your way of life on anybody just like I’m not coming at your door and asking you to believe in anything.
It's not about being happy not knowing. Instead it's about NOT forming a conclusion that fills in the knowledge gap without have verifiable, testable, reality-based evidence.
What is this way of life that you are referring to?

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not "you guys", I'm an individual, so let's start there. My mind is malleable and my heart is open to compelling evidence. As far as accountability goes, I pay my taxes, I take care of my family, I treat others with respect, basically, I behave like my actions affect and matter to more than just myself, so yeah in that regard, I'm accountable to something more than myself.

Truth demonstrated by verifiable evidence.

I really don't have a want in all of this other than to know and follow truth in actuality.

There you go with that "you guys" language in an attempt to create an "us" and "them", insiders vs. outsiders. That's a sure way to poison the well and make it all but impossible to progress together fairly and honestly with marginalizing the one in the "them" category.
I believe we can choose to do better and I vow to treat you as the individual you are as well as with dignity and respect.
No, I don't play label semantics games, if you interpeted it as anything other than person who exists a category of athiest humans then I can't help you, but ignore that anyway because I think I may was talking to someone else and I don't know who right now.

It's good to live an honest life but the point is your good deeds cannot pay for the penalty for your sins, which we all have.

You want a number one reason to follow Christ, it's this:

Every other religion expects you to inherit salvation through your OWN deeds and your OWN righteousness and then tell you that you must die and take others with you for their god.

Christianity admits we are incapable, we will fail, we make mistakes, and we will continue to mess up until we die, but we are given grace, because our God died for us.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
I believe in the Lord because He has chosen to reveal Himself to me.
Mr. Truman, I can respect your answer if I were asking 'why you believe in the Lord you believe in', but that's not what I asked. I asked why you believe the Biblical accounts to be true.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just to clarify, we're talking absolute meaning, not absolute truths as many truths are demonstrable, testable, and able to be verified, thus qualifying them to be considered as absolute truths. As far as meaning is concerned for the sake of this discussion, it lives more in the subjective realm as it is dictated by many subjective pillars like culture, personal sensitivities, upbringing, education, preferences, etc. This subjective meaning is not so much meaningless, but more so situationally ascribed by by an individual, a group, or even a society.
I would argue that 'meaning' is wholly dependent on absolute truth. Otherwise 'meaning' degenerates into opinion and relative gibberish.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
So what is the standard?

Is there anything you can know?
I'm not sure I follow. Are you asking how presumed knowledge can be tested?
As far as our ability to know things, my answer is YES, we can and do know many things. But, where there are gaps in our understanding, we should be hesitant to fill in those knowledge gaps is things that haven't been substantiated.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
There are actually two parts to this question.
1. How is it you came to faith?
2. Why do you continue in this faith you came to?

@Truth OT , which of these two are you specifically asking?
I'm not sure if I'm asking either. What I can tell you I am asking is WHY do you believe the scriptural accounts written by men to be credible as words from deity?