Why Do You Believe....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Otherwise 'meaning' degenerates into opinion and relative gibberish.
Though I hesitate to call it gibberish, this seems to be the case in practice in the real world. Meaning seems to be relative outside of math, the sciences, and some linguistics.

Reactions: prism

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mr. Truman, I can respect your answer if I were asking 'why you believe in the Lord you believe in', but that's not what I asked. I asked why you believe the Biblical accounts to be true.
I'm not Truman but I think that this verse may help:

Hebrews 11:1-3
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for.

By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible."

It takes reading the gospel, not a particular verse singled out from the rest, because we also know that faith "comes by hearing." That is, hearing the gospel.

Now if you're REALLY interested I recommend The Case for Christ - even just a YouTube video.

It's by a former homicide detective who tried to disprove the gospel and failed.

Reactions: prism

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure I follow. Are you asking how presumed knowledge can be tested?
Yes.

Maybe this will help you understand where I'm going here.

I know people who would respond, "The one who claims to know, knows nothing", and deny all knowing. Someone else is there to say, I just 'know', denying all evidence. The rest of us fall in between somewhere, and if your thinking is that the Bible obviously is not true, then we'll have a very different conversation than if your thinking is more along the lines of, it makes some sense, but is there any evidence?

Just like my answers would be pretty shallow if I say, "I just . . . know."

So where are you on this spectrum? For myself, I feel like I've got a lot of evidence, and feel a certainty I call knowing.

Much love!

Reactions: Brakelite and prism

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mr. Truman, I can respect your answer if I were asking 'why you believe in the Lord you believe in', but that's not what I asked. I asked why you believe the Biblical accounts to be true.
While reading the bible, I've had supernatural experiences happen to me.

Reactions: Brakelite

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure if I'm asking either. What I can tell you I am asking is WHY do you believe the scriptural accounts written by men to be credible as words from deity?
in short...It's a work of the Holy Spirit (the Author of Scripture) who convicts us of it's truth as well as illuminate our understanding of His Word. We can't take any 'intellectual' credit...nor ought we belittle others for not believing.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not about being happy not knowing. Instead it's about NOT forming a conclusion that fills in the knowledge gap without have verifiable, testable, reality-based evidence.
What is this way of life that you are referring to?

A way of life is basically a stance on existential questions which affect you personally in life.

NOT forming a conclusion is completely understandable and a mindset. This mindset doesn’t work for some people. Me personally, I find it hopelessly depressing.
Others may find it joyful.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
The rest of us fall in between somewhere, and if your thinking is that the Bible obviously is not true, then we'll have a very different conversation than if your thinking is more along the lines of, it makes some sense, but is there any evidence?
Some things in the Biblical writings are obviously true, while others are not, and others are far fetched/miraculous and not substantiated. Basically, writings in the books of the Bible are a lots of things, ranging from inspiring to repulsive and wise to questionable. Personally I like the book, but I don't find it to be credible as the "Word of God".

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just to clarify, we're talking absolute meaning, not absolute truths as many truths are demonstrable, testable, and able to be verified, thus qualifying them to be considered as absolute truths. As far as meaning is concerned for the sake of this discussion, it lives more in the subjective realm as it is dictated by many subjective pillars like culture, personal sensitivities, upbringing, education, preferences, etc. This subjective meaning is not so much meaningless, but more so situationally ascribed by by an individual, a group, or even a society.
I think this is a purely subjective experience for you. If you are truly on a search for reality, it is you who must become certain of what you find. That certainty will only exist as a subjective experience for you.

I've talked of prophecy, but someone can come along and say, That was actually written later. Books have been written on how Daniel was written centuries after Daniel lived. Their claim is that it's simply too historically accurate to be prophecy. This is evidence to the unbeliever of their unbelief, and to the believer of their belief.

According to the Bible, two elements are involved, not just one, those being God's Word, and faith. I can give you God's Word, but you must choose to believe. Your desire is that I convince you? You ask the wrong person.

Ask the Author, Who will know your heart, whether you want to know Him or not. And if you do, He has promised, the one who seeks, finds.

All of my sense and reason tells me this world, all that's in it, has a Maker, and my appeal is to that Maker, that I may know Him, and fulfill His purpose in making me.

If you feel that way, you'll meet Him soon enough I think! If you don't, I'm not going to change that.

Much love!

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Truth OT said:
I'm not sure if I'm asking either. What I can tell you I am asking is WHY do you believe the scriptural accounts written by men to be credible as words from deity?

in short...It's a work of the Holy Spirit (the Author of Scripture) who convicts us of it's truth as well as illuminate our understanding of His Word. We can't take any 'intellectual' credit...nor ought we belittle others for not believing.

Sounds kinda circular to me as attributing the authorship of scripture to Holy Breath is only done because the scripture says that is the case in 2 Timothy. The book itself attempts to define the parameters of what is "of God" setting itself up as the authority on it being the authority without having the need itself to demonstrate that it is in fact of God in any objective means.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
I can give you God's Word
This is the issue. You claim the above while I'm like "wait a minute, you haven't demonstrated the Bible to be God's Word." So what you actually give is what YOU BELIEVE to be God-inspired.
I can respect the fact that you say your belief that the Bible is God-inspired is based on fulfilled prophecy as a writing that specifies details in no uncertain terms regarding future events would definitely at the very least have to be considered extraordinary. I'd like to dissect those prophecies to see how strong they actually are as evidence for inspiration beyond human capabilities.

What do you like most about it?
Its power to inspire. One of my favorite texts in my Christian days was Hebrews 12:1-2.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Truth OT You may waste too much time and tire yourself out trying to figure out the "theories" behind things.

It would be better and mentally healthier to just read it for yourself and find out.

So much pointless circular thinking and rabbit holes, just run straight to the end of the field and see whats there.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
All of my sense and reason tells me this world, all that's in it, has a Maker, and my appeal is to that Maker, that I may know Him, and fulfill His purpose in making me.
Why a singular maker? Why a purposeful maker? What a maker that has a will that involves caring about human behavior? Why a him? Why are you or I significant enough in the will of the creative entity or entities to have a purpose?
Is it possible that our desire for ultimate purpose and divine significance a representation of the vanity of the human ego?

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
It would be better and mentally healthier to just read it for yourself and find out.
Read what? I own Lee Strobel's book and I am pretty familiar with both the Old and New Testaments as I took to heart 2 Timothy 2:15. Do you assume I'd question something without first giving it a chance, and if so, why?

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read what? I own Lee Strobel's book and I am pretty familiar with both the Old and New Testaments as I took to heart 2 Timothy 2:15. Do you assume I'd question something without first giving it a chance, and if so, why?
No, actually, I'm curious about you now.

You have been studying, but are you hesistant? Do you still have trouble believing?

Like what specifically, do you believe, has been the block from moving forward? Faith wise or whatever have you.

That's very interesting.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds kinda circular to me as attributing the authorship of scripture to Holy Breath is only done because the scripture says that is the case in 2 Timothy. The book itself attempts to define the parameters of what is "of God" setting itself up as the authority on it being the authority without having the need itself to demonstrate that it is in fact of God in any objective means.
As someone has already pointed out...accurately fulfilled prophecies authenticates the claims of God's own Word.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why a singular maker? Why a purposeful maker? What a maker that has a will that involves caring about human behavior? Why a him? Why are you or I significant enough in the will of the creative entity or entities to have a purpose?
Is it possible that our desire for ultimate purpose and divine significance a representation of the vanity of the human ego?
"Him" is just convention.

Yes, anything is possible, but why are sunsets pretty? Why are symphonies enrapturing? We have to start with the basics. Why one, and how am I, an individual, significant to that One, these need more foundation.

But have you ever thought about that? Why is a flower beautiful? More specifically, why do we as mammals have our deepest appreciations in things that don't contribute to our creature life?

Much love!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is a great question and one I could never answer. Unfathomable!!! It is amazing how much He loves us. I would change it to a statement, tho.

What a Maker that has a will that involves caring about human behavior!

Thank you, Lord.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the issue. You claim the above while I'm like "wait a minute, you haven't demonstrated the Bible to be God's Word." So what you actually give is what YOU BELIEVE to be God-inspired.
What I'm saying is there are two elements to the equation.

Let's say I quote the Bible to you, let's say it's actually God's Word, even so, you have to choose to believe.

I'm not interested in convincing you if you aren't interested in believing.

So I'm not really thinking to get into a debate over my belief in Scripture with someone who has chosen to disbelieve it for themself.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd like to dissect those prophecies to see how strong they actually are as evidence for inspiration beyond human capabilities.

If you want one to look at, look at Obadiah. But you'll need to do the work. It tells you who the terrorists around Israel are, and where they are, correctly. If you research the people and place names, that's what you'll find. I'm not going to do the work for you, if you really want to know, there's a place to look.

Much love!