Why do you reject authority?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excuse me, I did not bring up anything about the Sabbath or the controversy surrounding it. Your argument here is off topic, and I was speaking to a Jehovah's witness, not you. Obviously this comment "irked you" in some way, perhaps because I tied the hierarchy of the Catholic church to the hierarchy of the Watchtower society, Because they use the same manipulation and mind control to keep their followers in line, yet are in denial of their manipulation they are under. Both organizations have the same hierarchichal structure, and claim the same divine inspiration and authority, One just has Pope, the other has A society. They Both use a tool known as Mystical manipulation to control their followers. What is mystical manipulation? Read the following link as it will explain it.

Eight Ways to Identify Religious Brainwashing: Mystical Manipulation (Part 2 of 8) | Liberty for Captives
Your comment didn't "irk" me.....It was an illogical comment soooo I addressed it!!

Who is controlling your mind?? OR to ask it another way: what denomination do you belong to?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm......your not affiliated with ANY denomination???? You sit in your dark basement reading and interpreting the bible instead of relying on other men to interpret it for you???

Fascinating....I guess your interpretation will never be wrong since you will always convince yourself that the Holy Spirit guided you to the truth!!

Mary
He lets me know when I’m wrong. I like it this way, it’s better that a corporate wrongness,, this way I’m accountable to Him fully.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A system of works or practices implied by men by which they allege I’ll find favor from God.
Sooooo you don't think you won't find favor from God if you listen to men??? I guess Jesus lied to the Apostles (men) when he said to those men if they reject you they reject me and if they reject me they reject the One who sent me!

You have a nice theory but Scripture destroys your theory....

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not claiming autonomy or any isolated denomination, I’m governed by The Christ.
Translation: I am governed by MY interpretation of what I believe Christ meant. I am the final authority.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As to how it is working out for me, well, I’m not affiliated in any way with Godless murderers, child molesters, boaters, adulterers..... etc....
Sooooo why didn't you at least TRY to answer my questions??? Still waiting...

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I let Jesus teach, because He is my authority. Now, if He was liar and not here as you teach, then I would be teaching myself as you claim.
And The Church can't teach you anything???? What to do with Matthew 18:17??? Pretend it wasn't written???

Your theory is bankrupt....

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Translation: I am governed by MY interpretation of what I believe Christ meant. I am the final authority.
No He meant what HE said, Christ is the "Only"authority.

Mar 10:42 But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them.
Mar 10:43 But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister:

Reactions: Brakelite

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And The Church can't teach you anything???? What to do with Matthew 18:17??? Pretend it wasn't written???

Nope,

Joh_16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Unlike religion

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Well then you don't know Scripture....Acts 15:2–35
I don't see a military authority in this passage. I do see a debate over doctrinal policy which culminated in an agreement on some requirements for Gentile Christians. The Jewish Christians still had the moral aspects of the Law as their policy - not to obtain the favour of God, but to maintain a holy testimony of their conversion to Christ. Interestingly enough, we see in 1 Corinthians that Paul didn't totally keep to the policy in his comments about eating food dedicated to idols.

Even though I am the Board chairperson of a budgeting agency, when I am working in the office during office hours, the manager is in in charge and I follow her directions just like another employee when I am doing my job as management support. The agency has a set of policies and procedures, which govern it and they are the moderating documents to ensure that the agency is run decently and in order, and abiding by Government requirements for a Government funded community organisation.

During that conference in Jerusalem, they didn't have the New Testament as we know it. All the Apostles had were the Old Testament Scriptures which had been fully explained by Jesus. Those Scriptures were the Apostles' policy documents which governed the developing church. Therefore, the Apostles' authority to govern the church was on the basis of the Scriptures, and not on their own authority.

When Paul preached to the Bereans, they did not accept his authority at face value. They searched the Scriptures to see that what Paul was preaching was true according to those Scriptures. Paul never told anyone to come under his authority because of himself or because he said so. He told the Corinthians that it was the gospel of Christ which was the power of God (ie: the authority of God) that leads to salvation for those who believe it.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Look, show me where I have claimed absolution, this is what you are claiming for the religious affiliation you have,,,,, and we both know this is a lie. So you see you are a liar here and we also both know that Jesus doesn’t like liars. Do us a a favor and tell the truth if only one time in your whole existence, and shame the devil.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Look, show me where I have claimed absolution, this is what you are claiming for the religious affiliation you have,,,,, and we both know this is a lie. So you see you are a liar here and we also both know that Jesus doesn’t like liars. Do us a a favor and tell the truth if only one time in your whole existence, and shame the devil.
The problem is the RCC Doctrine of the Authority of the Church. This consists, in reality, of the Pope and the RCC hierarchy dictating to the Church's members how things should be. This all stems from a twisting of what Jesus said to Peter, "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church". But Peter was never the Bishop of Rome, and was never seen to have the pre-eminence over the other Apostles. In fact, Paul told him off about his discrimination against the Gentiles when his Jewish friends were present. The Apostle John would never have accepted Peter as being the person in charge of the whole church. in fact, he went to a church where a guy was trying to be the head rooster, to sort him out and put him back in his place.

So, what the RCC has done is, for political reasons, transferred the authority from the Apostles' doctrine in the New Testament Scriptures to the hierarchy of the Roman church, and then added authority to the Pope to add new doctrine under the term "tradition" to strengthen the Church's political domination over the world's governments. So the authority of the Church was all to do with power politics and empire building. For 1000 years, the Pope was the supreme authority over the Christian world and disobeying him meant death to many thousands of innocent people, even whole communities in Southern France who defied his authority. It was through the Pope's authority that the world became totally paganised and of no comparison to how Acts describes the early church.

We see the same dictatorial "authority" at work as happened in Hitler's Germany, the Soviet Union, and Muslim countries.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said that you claimed absolution sooooooo I guess you presented a straw man argument.....

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't see a military authority in this passage. I do see a debate over doctrinal policy which culminated in an agreement on some requirements for Gentile Christians. The Jewish Christians still had the moral aspects of the Law as their policy - not to obtain the favour of God, but to maintain a holy testimony of their conversion to Christ. Interestingly enough, we see in 1 Corinthians that Paul didn't totally keep to the policy in his comments about eating food dedicated to idols.

Even though I am the Board chairperson of a budgeting agency, when I am working in the office during office hours, the manager is in in charge and I follow her directions just like another employee when I am doing my job as management support. The agency has a set of policies and procedures, which govern it and they are the moderating documents to ensure that the agency is run decently and in order, and abiding by Government requirements for a Government funded community organisation.

During that conference in Jerusalem, they didn't have the New Testament as we know it. All the Apostles had were the Old Testament Scriptures which had been fully explained by Jesus. Those Scriptures were the Apostles' policy documents which governed the developing church. Therefore, the Apostles' authority to govern the church was on the basis of the Scriptures, and not on their own authority.

When Paul preached to the Bereans, they did not accept his authority at face value. They searched the Scriptures to see that what Paul was preaching was true according to those Scriptures. Paul never told anyone to come under his authority because of himself or because he said so. He told the Corinthians that it was the gospel of Christ which was the power of God (ie: the authority of God) that leads to salvation for those who believe it.
Ummmm....Paul did teach that he had authority... he received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ and he boasted about it in 2 Cor. 10:8-9!!! Did you forget about those passages in Scripture???

Listen, read Scripture, learn it and get back with me so we can have a serious conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.