Why do you think faith alone saves us?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, what I'm aiming for is not necessarily for verses.
I mean in your heart - in your understanding of God 's Heart...

Why? Why is it so simple - why is it we just have to have faith in His Son?

Thank you, I look forward to your posts,
:) Miss Hepburn

gumby

May 29, 2009
Good question miss hepburn, i beleive its just a matter of beleiving that christ is was and always will be who he says he is. Its a matter of receiving gods love and mercy for yourself and rejoicing when others are saved. For me each time i plant a seed with someone its like me re-reminding myself to stay in the word that to me that seed planting instills more faith in me.

God bless :)

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Miss Hepburn said:

Faith is the conduit, the channel, the pipeline, the medium through which grace flows from God to the believer. Without faith for it to travel through grace cannot be imparted to a person. I believe the Gospel reveals that unrepented sin blocks the flow of God's grace to believers and unbelievers alike.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stumpmaster said:
Miss Hepburn said:

Faith is the conduit, the channel, the pipeline, the medium through which grace flows from God to the believer. Without faith for it to travel through grace cannot be imparted to a person. I believe the Gospel reveals that unrepented sin blocks the flow of God's grace to believers and unbelievers alike.

Yes, true. And gumby, also.

Now, the ques however would be leaning more towards - "why".
Why is it so simple for us to be "saved"...with only belief or faith in
God's son? The above is getting there by defining faith a bit and how it is needed for grace to flow.

So, ok you have faith and grace is flowing ----but, why?

Why is that all one needs to have to allow as much grace as you want flow from the Spirit Realms down to this level to us?

Is that zeroing in more? Why is that? ;)

Miss Hepburn

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
Because that is the way He wanted it to be and also probably because the human mind normally can not accept simplicity, which makes us do some reasoning in making our decisions. If one of my children were to do everything that was expected of them without doubting the why, that child would probably be more favored, and I would be willing to do more for them.

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
Grace through faith. But it not a once in a life time thing, understand here, that I’m not saying it’s anything to do with works, once saved we need to continue to grow in our faith and build a relationship with God by reading and understanding His Word. Jesus Christ is the Word of God, from Genesis through Revelation.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
jerryjohnson said:
Grace through faith. But it not a once in a life time thing, understand here, that I’m not saying it’s anything to do with works, once saved we need to continue to grow in our faith and build a relationship with God by reading and understanding His Word. Jesus Christ is the Word of God, from Genesis through Revelation.
I 100% agree Jerry faith is tested at every turn its only the wisdom you gain in Gods Words that will sustain it, faith is the beginning of building the relationship ...God says many are called few are chosen ... Without the meat of the Words of God the milk will not sustain you ..again Gods Words not mine ...

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
Faith is having trust in Christ. Trusting Christ is everything. It's the ONLY way God can get glory out of a person. We were all created to glorify God and advance his Kingdom. This can only be accomplished by having faith because when a person places his faith in Jesus, a relationship builds and that persons life will be conformed to the image of Christ and Christ will be reflected in that believers life.

You can try to be self righteous by attempting to be as good as possible but again God will not get any glory from such an act. However, by simply having faith in the Lord, he can break you and change you and demonstrate his mercy and grace towards you and bring you out of the darkness and into the light. Faith is everything.

I also don't think faith is easy either. I guess it depends on how you look at it. If faith was easy then everybody would follow Christ. Faith is something that starts off small and weak and even pitiful. After some time, it will grow and mature in the believer and that is how you grow in wisdom and in your relationship with Christ.

I think that the reason why that God set things up so a person has to put their faith in his son is because Christ is the center of the new covenant. If people only worshiped God and placed their faith in Him only and not Christ also then you would be denying Christ and everything he has done for us. He is the missing link that makes it possible for us to even have a relationship with the Father. So if you throw out the bible and just go by what makes sense...to me it makes perfect sense to acknowledge Jesus as Christ and in doing that you automatically are placing your faith in Him.

These our my personal thoughts as to why faith alone is all that is needed. I hope this helped answer your question Miss Hepburn. ;)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Remeber the thief on the cross. He never had a chance to do any thing. He realised he was a sinner and deserved his fate, recognised that Jesus was innocent and then simply asked Jesus to remember him. And what was oyr Lords response," Today you will be with Me in paradise", No church, no bible, no baptism, no tithing, no pastor or priest, juts a simple recognitian of wht he was and who Jesus was. Its us who add all the overheads.

In His Love

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, it's nice hearing my buddies speak about faith.

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
mjrhealth said:
Remeber the thief on the cross. He never had a chance to do any thing. He realised he was a sinner and deserved his fate, recognised that Jesus was innocent and then simply asked Jesus to remember him. And what was oyr Lords response," Today you will be with Me in paradise", No church, no bible, no baptism, no tithing, no pastor or priest, juts a simple recognitian of wht he was and who Jesus was. Its us who add all the overheads.

In His Love
You make a really good point! It doesn't get any less confusing then that. Just simply acknowledge who Jesus is.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Remember the thief on the cross. He never had a chance to do any thing. He realised he was a sinner and deserved his fate, recognised that Jesus was innocent and then simply asked Jesus to remember him. And what was our Lord's response," Today you will be with Me in paradise", No church, no bible, no baptism, no tithing, no pastor or priest, just a simple recognition of what he was and who Jesus was. It's us who add all the overheads.
In His Love

Now you're onto something aren't you? :)

We all know what faith is - we all have faith - we all practice faith -
we love hearing about faith - we love to expound on faith - we all like to read verses about faith - we love and are grateful for the gift of faith - but why?

Why is it so exquisitely simple - I believe - when one really "gets" that - a very deep relationship is realized with their Lord (even more than one already has).
A very moving, growing, intimate and humbling closeness blossoms even more...

as He draws us even closer realizing why He makes it so easy for us.
That was more of what I was wanting to get to. Yeah.

:)

gumby

May 29, 2009
Miss Hepburn said:
Stumpmaster said:
Miss Hepburn said:

Yes, true. And gumby, also.

Now, the ques however would be leaning more towards - "why".
Why is it so simple for us to be "saved"...with only belief or faith in
God's son? The above is getting there by defining faith a bit and how it is needed for grace to flow.

So, ok you have faith and grace is flowing ----but, why?

Why is that all one needs to have to allow as much grace as you want flow from the Spirit Realms down to this level to us?

Is that zeroing in more? Why is that? ;)

Miss Hepburn

Read Hebrews 12:1, Hebrews 12:2 and Hebrews 12:3. Think about the blood that christ shed on the cross and all the suffering that he went to for us.

Adstar

Sep 17, 2009
  • [quote author=Miss Hepburnlink=topic=11486.msg75822#msg75822 date=1260249937]
    Now, what I'm aiming for is not necessarily forverses.

Why? Why is it so simple - why is it we just have to have faith in HisSon?

[/quote]

God is perfect.
    He can only accept a Perfect creation to exist with Him in Eternity.
    Therefore to have eternity with God we must become perfect.
    We are not perfect.
    We cannot achieve perfection
    We can only be changed into a perfect state by Gods intervention.
    This intervention can never be earned.
    It must be a gift.
    So if we are transformed into a perfect state then there can be no boasting on our part.
    Therefore all Glory and Honour rests with God who has achieved the Redemption of His creation by His own Works.

Therefore our works while we do them out of Love for God and Love for our Neighbour.
    And our efforts to resist sin while being noble showing agreement with the will of God.
    Can never reach a point of perfection that would justify eternity with God on their own merit.

Therefore all talk of Works earning ones eternity with God is nothing but the pride of man striving to earn self-justification.

The gift of salvation from God can only be a gift if it is not payed for. Once you pay for a gift then the gift becomes a payment. Indeed seeking to pay for the gift is an insult to the gift Giver. How would you feel if you when through hell on earth to obtain a gift for someone you love and for them to turn around and offer money for it?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Adstar

Sep 17, 2009
mjrhealth said:

In His Love

Just read this one :)

Excellent.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Adstar, well said. People need to come to the realisation that Jesus did all the work, our only work is to love, in that we can do everything that God requires of us.

In His Love

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adstar said:

God is perfect.
He can only accept a Perfect creation to exist with Him in Eternity.
Therefore to have eternity with God we must become perfect.
We are not perfect.
We cannot achieve perfection
We can only be changed into a perfect state by Gods intervention.
This intervention can never be earned.
It must be a gift.
So if we are transformed into a perfect state then there can be no boasting on our part.
Therefore all Glory and Honour rests with God who has achieved the Redemption of His creation by His own Works.

Therefore our works while we do them out of Love for God and Love for our Neighbour.
And our efforts to resist sin while being noble showing agreement with the will of God.
Can never reach a point of perfection that would justify eternity with God on their own merit.

Therefore all talk of Works earning ones eternity with God is nothing but the pride of man striving to earn self-justification.

The gift of salvation from God can only be a gift if it is not payed for. Once you pay for a gift then the gift becomes a payment. Indeed seeking to pay for the gift is an insult to the gift Giver. How would you feel if you when through hell on earth to obtain a gift for someone you love and for them to turn around and offer money for it?

Whoa, I'll be printing this out and re-reading this one.
Very nice.
Thank you.

:) :) :)

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I think faith alone saves us simply because God said it. So, we believe that God took away our sins through Jesus Christ. If we don't believe that we're calling God a liar. Since God can't lie, that would make us liars, and we'd have more sin added to the sins we can't take away from ourselves. That would make us live in perpetual sin, even if all other sins are taken away whether we believe or not. We would unwittingly add sin. That's why simply not believing is a sin.

The person that doesn't believe will not have the sins of unbelief taken away, they stay there. That's why you can't be redeemed without believing.

Works can't save, that's a fact. But, works are merely a result of believing. Since we believe we obey, by obey we show works. We show works not because we believe that something better is going to come our way (well, we all fall into a type of fear or hope depending on our own works), However, works are to show the Love of Christ, and that Christ loves All men regardless of their sins.

Throu Jesus we have a type of freedom of what our works are that we would have in the old covenant.

That's how I see it anyway.

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
You speak of faith, faith is nothing but carnal man reaching out to God by his own initiative, his own freewill. IMPOSSIBLE according to God's will.

How can someone believe, when that person is dead. Dead in trustpasses and sin. You know many of you know this but God hides himself from the world, go to the Muslin world ans mention the name Jesus. Go to a crack house full of teenages that all that matters to them is being cool and getting there next fix. You name it there are thousands of examples in this world full of sin, darkness and mans carnal flesh where no one can see, touch, smell, hear God without the power of God's spirit to quicken or draw them first.

The religious word freewill; the reason I call it religious word because the word freewill is not in the scripture.

Oh sure you can find the word Freewill in the OT when it comes to the Hebrew Freewill offering; BUT that feast has nothing to do with basic salvation.

The Bible is God’s will; His Word and all of God’s it will be accomplished. It is not a matter of freewill; (we are saved by grace not freewill) free will is a non scriptural word. God call/calls/draws/drags people which is totally contrary to the religious man made doctrine from Rome. God draws us or if you dig a little harder He drags us; there is NO FREE WILL when you are being drawn or dragged in fact it totally to the contrary.

Romans 3:11
There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

John 6:44
"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws
(drag Greek) him, and I will raise him up at the last day

1670 helkuo (hel-koo'-o); drag

Jeremiah 18:2
Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause thee to hear my words. 3 Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels. 4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.

Romans 9:12 It was said to her that the elder [son] should serve the younger [son]) 13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated (held in [1] relative disregard in comparison with My feeling for Jacob).) 14 What shall we conclude then? Is there injustice upon God's part? Certainly not! 15 For He says to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy and I will have compassion (pity) on whom I will have compassion.) 16 So then [God's gift] is not a question of human will and human effort, but of God's mercy. [It depends not on one's own willingness nor on his strenuous exertion as in running a race, but on God's having mercy on him.] 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, I have raised you up for this very purpose of displaying My power in [dealing with] you, so that My name may be proclaimed the whole world over. 18 So then He has mercy on whomever He wills (chooses) and He hardens (makes stubborn and unyielding the heart of) whomever He wills. 19 You will say to me, Why then does He still find fault and blame us [for sinning]? For who can resist and withstand His will? 20 But who are you, a mere man, to criticize and contradict and Why have you made me thus? 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same mass (lump) one vessel for beauty and distinction and honorable use, and another for menial or ignoble and dishonorable use?